Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: ‘Prince From Another Planet’ samples

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:43 pm

These samples (if they are the real thing) are extremely fatiguing to listen to -- I think the wave forms tell it all: squashed dynamics, maximum loudness, they compressed the hell out of this. Yeah, sounds nice for about 30 secs. but I doubt you can make it through the whole show without turning down the volume after a while before your ears start bleeding.

It's indeed the E1 mix of MSG, not totally surprising since that's how modern mixes in today's record industry sound. It's not about letting a song breathe but it's all about constantly attacking your ears. Look at YLTLF, a song which perhaps is defined by its dynamics of louder and quieter passages, it's virtually on the same level of loudness throughout the entire song now.

I somehow feared this was going to happen I just did not expect it to turn out that bad. The funny thing is I can just take the original mix and apply digital compression in a sound editor and would probably end up somewhere close to how this sample sounds. Where is all the additional detail we have been promised? I doubt I'll listen to this new remix more than once.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:44 pm

lpa wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:Why did he have to sing 'That's All Right' at 100 miles an hour ??!!
Steve Morse

The whole show was at 100 miles an hour. Just look at the lenght of the songs compared to any other show. He was in a real hurry, I never liked the MSG shows and I'll be getting PFAP just for the DVD.

i have to agree, I have never liked them much either. In many respects it is the archetypal Elvis show because of the setlist, but there is little edge in these performances, it was all about slickness, getting the job done and getting out - something which was a sign of things to come in Aloha 6 months later. To my ears, the one EOT show that we do have from Sony (on Close Up) both sounds better than these shows and is also a better performance. That said, I do like the way that the audience is higher in this remix, but I also agree with Matthew in that Elvis and the band sound as if they were recorded on separate occasions!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:29 pm

I'm no audio tech expert.. but there was always something missing from the two MSG concerts that made me avoid listening to them much.. I could listen to those samples all day.. whatever it is about them.

BTW.. YLTLF @ 2:00 brings a massive smile to my face..

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 pm

I've seen some unconfirmed chatter about a potential Legacy 2CD issue published in parallel that either contains new Anesini mixes or his remastering of the original published mixes. What's the skinny? Will the Legacy 2CD issue differ from the 2cd/DVD combo sonically? Has Sony or Ernst commented on what the 2CD set will actually consist of from a mix / mastering standpoint.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:41 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:I've seen some unconfirmed chatter about a potential Legacy 2CD issue published in parallel that either contains new Anesini mixes or his remastering of the original published mixes. What's the skinny? Will the Legacy 2CD issue differ from the 2cd/DVD combo sonically? Has Sony or Ernst commented on what the 2CD set will actually consist of from a mix / mastering standpoint.

I think the Legacy edition will contan the original mixes.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:45 pm

KevinK wrote:I'm no audio tech expert.. but there was always something missing from the two MSG concerts that made me avoid listening to them much.. I could listen to those samples all day.. whatever it is about them.

BTW.. YLTLF @ 2:00 brings a massive smile to my face..

Yes, his rephrasing of "something beautiful's dying" [which he commenced during the Jan/Feb '71 Vegas engagement] is brilliant!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:48 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:I've seen some unconfirmed chatter about a potential Legacy 2CD issue published in parallel that either contains new Anesini mixes or his remastering of the original published mixes. What's the skinny? Will the Legacy 2CD issue differ from the 2cd/DVD combo sonically? Has Sony or Ernst commented on what the 2CD set will actually consist of from a mix / mastering standpoint.

This has already been discussed for quite some time now... Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In September

Where have you been? :shock:

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Regardless of the "improvement" or "unimprovement" in the new mix, I'm only buying the 3-Disc set to get my hands on the DVD. If the sound quality on the newly mixed Michael Brauer discs are in fact a sonic disaster (ie: ala Dennis Ferrante's "On Stage 1999"), as some of the earlier posts suggests, then I'm definitely going to buy the Legacy 2 Disc set, mastered by our most trustworthy mixing engineer, Vic Anesini. I'm sure that set will be somewhat of an improvement than what we have now.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Personally I like it in the main, I would have preferred Elvis' vocal to be a little fuller in punch but overall I think it has a concert feel and sound, in that I do feel I could be twenty rows back and this is what I would hear. Look forward to it.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:42 pm

thenexte wrote:These samples (if they are the real thing) are extremely fatiguing to listen to -- I think the wave forms tell it all: squashed dynamics, maximum loudness, they compressed the hell out of this. Yeah, sounds nice for about 30 secs. but I doubt you can make it through the whole show without turning down the volume after a while before your ears start bleeding.

Soundcloud wave graphs are not very good - I wouldn't trust them too much. The compression is audible though. But all that aside, as noted - the mix and also the processing on the vocal track is just not very good at all. There is this "in the studio" like sound from the musicians, and a "somewhere out in the arena" like sound from Elvis. The two do not blend very well.

If the intention was to present an arena feel from the recording then (and I'm one of the positive guys on this one) the Memphis FTD does a much better job as the whole band sounds (including Elvis) like it's one big live event. Despite the compression the FTD appears to be the only presentation to date that offers the best "down in the stalls" perspective of an Elvis live concert. So well done Chris Theis on that one - maybe the Coldplay guy should have sat down with you!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Matthew wrote:
thenexte wrote:These samples (if they are the real thing) are extremely fatiguing to listen to -- I think the wave forms tell it all: squashed dynamics, maximum loudness, they compressed the hell out of this. Yeah, sounds nice for about 30 secs. but I doubt you can make it through the whole show without turning down the volume after a while before your ears start bleeding.

Soundcloud wave graphs are not very good - I wouldn't trust them too much. The compression is audible though. But all that aside, as noted - the mix and also the processing on the vocal track is just not very good at all. There is this "in the studio" like sound from the musicians, and a "somewhere out in the arena" like sound from Elvis. The two do not blend very well.

If the intention was to present an arena feel from the recording then (and I'm one of the positive guys on this one) the Memphis FTD does a much better job as the whole band sounds (including Elvis) like it's one big live event. Despite the compression the FTD appears to be the only presentation to date that offers the best "down in the stalls" perspective of an Elvis live concert. So well done Chris Theis on that one - maybe the Coldplay guy should have sat down with you!

Am I the only one who likes it? It sounds fantastic to me –– whether it's the Brauer mix or Anesini version?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Am I the only one who likes it? It sounds fantastic to me –– whether it's the Brauer mix or Anesini version?

The assumption is these are samples from the Afternoon Show as they will appear on the 2CD/1DVD Planet set - so they would be Brauer. The fanbase has created the rumour that Anesini will be doing his own mix of the show for the 2CD Madison Legacy Edition - so far nothing has been officially mentioned about what will appear on that title.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Matthew wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Am I the only one who likes it? It sounds fantastic to me –– whether it's the Brauer mix or Anesini version?

The assumption is these are samples from the Afternoon Show as they will appear on the 2CD/1DVD Planet set - so they would be Brauer. The fanbase has created the rumour that Anesini will be doing his own mix of the show for the 2CD Madison Legacy Edition - so far nothing has been officially mentioned about what will appear on that title.

Thank you for the clear up. The sample does sound good to me. I played it through an iPod docking station which has mono amplified sound and the difference really stood out. I thought Elvis voice was more upfront in the mix, by a mile compared to 'Afternoon' CD...Less muddy.

Cheers,

a mess

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:59 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Thank you for the clear up. The sample does sound good to me. I played it through an iPod docking station which has mono amplified sound and the difference really stood out. I thought Elvis voice was more upfront in the mix, by a mile compared to 'Afternoon' CD...Less muddy.

Cheers,

a mess

The "AAITG" mix is like listening with a blanket draped over your speakers.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:15 am

Matt, I think the Memphis cd captures the live event better than any other disk also. But I also like to hear a studio like version too. Two versions on the release would be great (like Talking Heads Talking Sense bluray).
We still don't know for sure which legacy release this is from do we? Brauer or Annesi? And at the end of the day it is still an mp3 fIle only and not the real thing. Those present in the Memphis presentation loved it so I remain hopeful.

Cheers Jamie

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:18 am

It's indeed the E1 mix of MSG, not totally surprising since that's how modern mixes in today's record industry sound. It's not about letting a song breathe but it's all about constantly attacking your ears. Look at YLTLF, a song which perhaps is defined by its dynamics of louder and quieter passages, it's virtually on the same level of loudness throughout the entire song now.

I somehow feared this was going to happen I just did not expect it to turn out that bad. The funny thing is I can just take the original mix and apply digital compression in a sound editor and would probably end up somewhere close to how this sample sounds. Where is all the additional detail we have been promised? I doubt I'll listen to this new remix more than once.

+1

Bright and modern indeed! It sounds awful.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:29 am

Matthew wrote:The fanbase has created the rumour that Anesini will be doing his own mix of the show for the 2CD Madison Legacy Edition - so far nothing has been officially mentioned about what will appear on that title.

I haven't heard anything about a remix but based on what was said in Memphis, the Legacy Edition 2CD set will be remastered by Vic Anesini. Apparently, (and this isn't directed at you Matthew) some people don't understand the difference between remastering and remixing...

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:30 am

Here's a "doomsday" scenario that could present a quandry to fans interested in this release......

In order for Sony to bilk us fans out of our hard earned money...and trust me, those bean counters are thinking of several ways to do so......so here's a possibility :

1) PFAP will only contain one-third of both shows fully re-mixed.

2) In order to hear the second third of both shows fully re-mixed, you must buy the 2 CD Legacy release as well.

3) In order to hear the last third of both shows fully re-mixed, you must buy the FTD 2-CD Deluxe edition as well.

End Result :
The Sony beancounters and share holders laugh their way to the bank....while we clueless fans keep drinking the Sony Kool-Aid and end up broke.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:35 am

Jamie wrote:We still don't know for sure which legacy release this is from do we? Brauer or Annesi? And at the end of the day it is still an mp3 fIle only and not the real thing. Those present in the Memphis presentation loved it so I remain hopeful

We do, it's from ‘Prince From Another Planet’ as remixed by Michael Brauer.

I very much doubt Anesini will be remixing it again for the standard legacy edition.

So it will most likely be a remaster of Ferrante's 1997 mix or perhaps a vintage one hitherto unheard.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:38 am

As always Sony, FTD or who ever will NEVER please everyone! Especially some of the people on here!

Although the samples sound great, I will wit for the set before I decide as the samples are likely to be compressed them selfs would they not?

I love the mix on E1 and E2 so I wont be complaining if it is "loud"

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:43 am

I don't know... I don't like to sound negative, but I have to agree with thenexte. As these are samples, I'm inclined to believe that they are what people will hear when they buy the final product... So that would be bad for me, at least. I really didn't like the IN YOUR FACE WOOOO sound plus the mixing on Elvis' vocals.

We shall see.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:21 am

elvis-fan wrote:
Matthew wrote:The fanbase has created the rumour that Anesini will be doing his own mix of the show for the 2CD Madison Legacy Edition - so far nothing has been officially mentioned about what will appear on that title.

I haven't heard anything about a remix but based on what was said in Memphis, the Legacy Edition 2CD set will be remastered by Vic Anesini. Apparently, (and this isn't directed at you Matthew) some people don't understand the difference between remastering and remixing...

What was said in Memphis wasn't exactly clear. While remastering and remixing is often confused by a faction of fans on FECC, it still hasn't been revealed by Sony if Anesini has simply remastered the MSG tapes or if he has also produced one if his stellar "vintage" mixes. Everyone should wait for an official announcement before jumping to conclusions. That said, the Brauer produced tracks seem to offer what many of us feared; but even so, we only know Brauer mixed the tapes. I'm still surprised he got the job to work on this project considering the praise Anesini has received from his mixing of Elvis' live material.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:02 am

midnightx wrote: I'm still surprised he got the job to work on this project considering the praise Anesini has received from his mixing of Elvis' live material.

Let's just hope Ernst will go into damage control and release Brauer from his contract with Sony before he does anymore damage to the Presley catalog with potential future projects.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:15 am

If they must, leave the Original mix for the FTD. On the Legacy release let Vic use the original master tapes and not the original LP master (save that for FTD (if they must) and let Vic remix and remaster the blame things. Vic will be restrained if he only gets to use the rotten original LP master. It sounds like the 3 disc premium edition will be money for nothing except the DVD (I had planned to buy only this one....looks like I will have to buy the legacy too...only if it is different from the FTD mix or The Complete Masters), as I hate for Elvis to be way back in the mix and the audience up. I wasn't able to attend the actual concert and I do not want to hear the audience; I want to hear Elvis! I also do not want the quiet moments to be as loud as the loudest moments; what are they thinking???

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:57 am

Again, please judge the release when it is out and not based on an mp3 files which are compressed to hell anyway.

Just a thought but wasnt there a clip from the evening show recently as well? That's All Right I think. I dint recall that getting hammered?

J