Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In Septem

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:39 pm

Well, since the interest in this package faded after 36 pages, I heard last nite, it appeared to be the remix version of "That's All Right" from the new set on Sirius radio and I was a lil disappointed.

Where was all this "it sounds like your're right there" sound that the producers were talking about ?

It sounded muffled and cloudy.

And just where were Ronnie's drums in the mix ?

I've got a great system in my car and the sound is awesome, but either it was a bad signal, (not my ears) or maybe this is why this release is being delayed, because of production ?

I don't know, but If the version I heard last nite on Sirius is anything to go by, I still prefer the original mix.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:44 pm

minkahed wrote:Well, since the interest in this package faded after 36 pages, I heard last nite, it appeared to be the remix version of "That's All Right" from the new set on Sirius radio and I was a lil disappointed.

Where was all this "it sounds like your're right there" sound that the producers were talking about ?

It sounded muffled and cloudy.

And just where were Ronnie's drums in the mix ?

I've got a great system in my car and the sound is awesome, but either it was a bad signal, (not my ears) or maybe this is why this release is being delayed, because of production ?

I don't know, but If the version I heard last nite on Sirius is anything to go by, I still prefer the original mix.

I get the feeling that a lot of people are going to be saying that when it (eventually) comes out. I always enjoyed the sound of the original. I hope they've fixed the edits though.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:42 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
Makes me wonder how they can review a product 6 weeks (!) before release......isnt the delay
because BMG are still working on the prodject?

I don't think it's a "review" as such - more like a "preview" of what's on the set.

RKS

Yes, I can't work from this "review" if the reviewer had simply heard the original albums and produced that kind of brief evaluation, or really did hear the new versions and also read the accompanying notes. I think reviews based on the actual new product might refer to its producers, the writer of the notes, as well as what's good about the sound work. Who knows, maybe the new release might have got more than 7 stars.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:15 pm

It could well be the remixed version of "That's All Right (Mama)" from "A Prince From Another Planet" because this track has been released on a PROMO which was distribued to the VIP ticket holders during Elvis Week.

MT

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:11 am

havnt posted in ages but i HAVE to comment here!

first off, u have to REALLY listen to the press conference
(which i think is fantastic AND he WAS fantastic ! )
"im not the least ashamed in the likes of hound dog etc"
" i tryed to tell em sooner "

(referring to his father & his talent lol)

i cant WAIT for this release - the MSG evening show has long been a fav of mine, maybe even my fave gig of all time - i always said if i could go back in time , i would most likely choose the eve msg show over ANY 69 show !!! (may raise a few eyebrows there?)

I got it early on CD for the 1st time (never had the vinyl) in the 'elvis in the 90's' cd program , (remember the face stickers)
just after 'on StAGE' - and couldnt believe how much he kicked ARSE!

elvis was clearly 'scared' about playing the garden (16yrs !!!!!) & the B/S about 'booking/availability' is simply that - i dont accept any other explanation = he coulda got the garden in a minute but boy , when he turned up - he most certainly stepped up to the plate !!!!!
(and looked superb)

he comes on kicking arse & never really lets up - the B/S about the show(s) being speeded up is simply that - he was just 'ON' !!!

it may be vegas crap but u only have to listen to the 'Impossible Dream' to hear how good he was !

its a shame they didnt record all 4 shows (BRIDGE!) & not just the 2, its also interesting that elvis himself wasnt fully aware (maybe?)
RCA we're recording - interesting indeed!!!!!! ("theyre around"!!!!!!)

ALOHA has its moments but its a very different show & a very different elvis - its ALSO very telling that he/they NEVER returned to the Garden!

as far as im concerned, 70's elvis never got any better than MSG -
so go buy them records folks!

as for Brauer - his 'coldplay' work sounds V.good ! god knows why RCA went with him & not annesinni (either show never sounded right in their original forms tho - maybe a NEW & NEUTRAL approach was deemed best???)

looking 4ward to it myself - this is 70's presley at his peak !
lets hope the mix(s) represent that?
kinda apprehensive about hearing any samples - but a pre=order is guaranteed here

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:49 am

Z0S0 wrote:... as for Brauer - his 'coldplay' work sounds V.good ! god knows why RCA went with him & not annesinni (either show never sounded right in their original forms tho - maybe a NEW & NEUTRAL approach was deemed best???)

Don't forget you'll still have the option of buying the Anesini remastered shows on the Legacy edition of Elvis As Recorded At Madison Square Garden. I've already pre-ordered both sets from amazon.ca

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:58 am

thats right Brad, I'll get both to. I am looking forward to Brauers attempt as he has good pedigree but equally I am sure the re-mastered version will be good anyway, The rest of the legacy series is.

cheers Jamie

Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Jamie wrote:thats right Brad, I'll get both to. I am looking forward to Brauers attempt as he has good pedigree but equally I am sure the re-mastered version will be good anyway, The rest of the legacy series is.

cheers Jamie

So, are there going to be TWO different versions remixed/remastered? If so, this could explain why the Sony Legacy samples sound too close to the original mix. I hope for their sake that this is what is being given as a sample, is the REMASTERED Legacy Edition and not the new Brauer remixes.

Michael Brauer's reputation is on the line if what we're hearing is the new mixes.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Jamie wrote:thats right Brad, I'll get both to. I am looking forward to Brauers attempt as he has good pedigree but equally I am sure the re-mastered version will be good anyway, The rest of the legacy series is.
cheers Jamie

So, are there going to be TWO different versions remixed/remastered? If so, this could explain why the Sony Legacy samples sound too close to the original mix. I hope for their sake that this is what is being given as a sample, is the REMASTERED Legacy Edition and not the new Brauer remixes.
Michael Brauer's reputation is on the line if what we're hearing is the new mixes.

Just to clarify for those who still don't get it...

Issued by Sony Legacy 3 Disc Set (2CD + DVD) - remixed and remastered by Michael Brauer

Sony's Legacy Edition 2CD Set - remastered by Vic Anesini (not remixed)

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:29 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote: So, are there going to be TWO different versions remixed/remastered?

:shock: Dude, seriously, where have you been?!
There's simply no excuse in you not already knowing about this as much as it has already been discussed here on this very thread!

SuspiciousMind wrote: Michael Brauer's reputation is on the line if...

Now your reputation is on the line. :roll:

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:30 pm

Okay, I know I'm standing up on the firing line here, I just need clarification... But, and it's a big but(t) er no, no... Prince from another planet is remixed from scratch, I get that. However, the legacy edition contains the original 'LP' mix of MSG remastered, check... so what about disc 2 of the legacy edition is it the remix or is it a remaster of 1997's 'Afternoon in the garden'? Answers on a S.A.E addressed to me care of... etc here's the tie 'I Love Elvis because...' in no less than 21 words... Wow, this ribena I'm drinking is strong!!

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:22 pm

Blue River wrote:
SuspiciousMind wrote: So, are there going to be TWO different versions remixed/remastered?

There's simply no excuse in you not already knowing about this as much as it has already been discussed here on this very thread!

I know that there is going to be a special edition and a Legacy Edition. What I am asking is the Legacy Edition remastered or remixed (which now I see it's not remixed)? And if the Afternoon show is being remastered and not remixed (which is what the sound samples indicate) then it MIGHT be the remastered versions we're hearing and not the 3-disc PFAP remixes.

If what we're hearing are the new Brauer remixes then he needs to find a new day job.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:28 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
Blue River wrote:

I know that there is going to be a special edition and a Legacy Edition. What I am asking is the Legacy Edition remastered or remixed (which now I see it's not remixed)? And if the Afternoon show is being remastered and not remixed (which is what the sound samples indicate) then it MIGHT be the remastered versions we're hearing and not the 3-disc PFAP remixes.

If what we're hearing are the new Brauer remixes then he needs to find a new day job.

The Legacy 2 CD will only be a re-master. I can't speak for the Brauer mixes on the 3 disc set until I actually have the CD playing on my Teac Stereo/Amp and listening carefully on my Sony audiophile headphones to make a legit evaluation. The samples posted could very well be ripped from the 1997 AITG release for all we know.

I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 pm

As expected, we have to sides on this board.

The ones who prefer sound like the dry and lifeless "Close up San Antonio" mix. (which has it's charm, but many instruments are burried)
And those who appreciate a more loud, concert sound. (unnatural, some may say?)

Sony choose the right direction trying to capture the excitement of the event that night.
This was stated many months ago so I'm sorry but what we hear is no surprise.
What a joy for those who'd like to stick to the original mixes, we'll have 'm also in hopefully upgraded sound.

Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:And if the Afternoon show is being remastered and not remixed which is what the sound samples indicate then it MIGHT be the remastered versions we're hearing and not the 3-disc PFAP remixes.

The official audio samples [from the afternoon show] "elvissessions" provided a link to have been remixed.
To illustrate just one obvious example of a remix, note how the "Sweets" are centred on AAITG - whereas on this new mix they are panned more to the right.
For further evidence; the channel on which the piano sits has been reversed too [so it no longer gets "lost" underneath James].

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:57 am

I am predicting right here and now that sometime in the future (a year or so) there will be an FTD release of the MSG Evening show (As Recorded at Madison Square Garden) with a brand new mix and master done from original tapes by Vic Anesini.

RKS

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:42 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:I am predicting right here and now that sometime in the future (a year or so) there will be an FTD release of the MSG Evening show (As Recorded at Madison Square Garden) with a brand new mix and master done from original tapes by Vic Anesini.

I hope not anytime soon, RKS. There are too many other things that Ernst needs to cover before an FTD Madison Square Garden issue.

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm

Blue River wrote:
I hope not anytime soon, RKS. There are too many other things that Ernst needs to cover before an FTD Madison Square Garden issue.

I agree with you.

I just think that at some point we will see another incarnation of this.

There will be too many who don't like the Brauer mix and some who want a completely remixed version by Anesini.

RKS

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:50 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Blue River wrote:

I agree with you.

I just think that at some point we will see another incarnation of this.

There will be too many who don't like the Brauer mix and some who want a completely remixed version by Anesini.

RKS

Im confused. Is there a strategy by Ernst and FTD?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:19 pm

Is there a strategy by Ernst and FTD?

Yes - to sell us this product as many times as possible! :wink:

R

RKS

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
Is there a strategy by Ernst and FTD?

Yes - to sell us this product as many times as possible! :wink:

You are correct, sir! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:02 pm

elvis1977br wrote:Uncut´s review:

Sounds like reviewer Luke Torn, so quick to proclaim that Elvis was "inxorably sliding into decay" was a bit
converted by the actual performance....

It's nice that the often derided '70s Elvis (the sound, the look) is getting another look with this fine
reissue project.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:28 pm

Listening to the afternoon show now from the Legacy Deluxe Edtion. I can't really say that this is top notch sound... :|

I for one was looking forward to a new fresh 2012 remix of the show. But it didn't at all blow my mind, sounds like any other Elvis live release - nothing 2012 about it if you ask me....

The package however is BRILLIANT, ASTOUNDING, WONDERFUL!
This is an excellent release that I hope will sell zillions!

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Rockin_John wrote:Listening to the afternoon show now from the Legacy Deluxe Edtion. I can't really say that this is top notch sound... :|

I for one was looking forward to a new fresh 2012 remix of the show. But it didn't at all blow my mind, sounds like any other Elvis live release - nothing 2012 about it if you ask me....

The package however is BRILLIANT, ASTOUNDING, WONDERFUL!
This is an excellent release that I hope will sell zillions!

Can't agree with you there its a major improvement imo, and his vocals now come across with every little nuance and phrasing crystal clear. Great stuff.

Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Jamie wrote:Can't agree with you there its a major improvement imo, and his vocals now come across with every little nuance and phrasing crystal clear. Great stuff.

Without a doubt there is a huuuuge improvement! I agree, but I was hoping for an album that sounded like livealbums do today..... :?