Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

"Starting Over" - The 80's singles thread

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Inspired by The Human League's, Don't You Want Me, I thought it would be cool to create an all encompassing 1980's singles thread.

The only criteria I would propose, is that the song has to have been issued as a single [in any country] during the decade, regardless of when it was recorded.

Any genre is welcome; and whether it was a big hit or flop is immaterial.

So to kick things off, I will start with Blondie's seminal Atomic from 1980.

An influential track which suggested a new direction for the decade; and one that did much to bridge the gap between the rock subculture and the accessible pop mainstream.

"Oh, uh-huh make it magnificent.."

phpBB [video]

P.S. No "Jive Bunny"! :lol:
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Starting Over - 80's singles thread

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Here's a couple of classics:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:50 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I will start with Blondie's seminal Atomic from 1980.

I prefer Call Me.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Rob wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I will start with Blondie's seminal Atomic from 1980.

I prefer Call Me.

Cool.

phpBB [video]

George Smith wrote:Here's a couple of classics:

Interesting choices, George.

My little nephew loves The Housemartins!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:00 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Interesting choices, George.

They're just songs I enjoy listening too.

A few years ago I revisited the 80s and was amazed at just how much of it I found enjoyable!

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:45 pm

Anyone remember this minor [almost forgotten] classic by Martika?

Wonderful recording [later sampled by Eminem].

phpBB [video]

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 pm

phpBB [video]

Can't beat this

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:51 pm

This one brings a lot of memories back, Led by Scots born David Byrne ..... Great song

phpBB [video]

And this one by Queen, I remember seeing them at Wembley stadium on the Magic tour, when I was a teenager. They were excellent, at the time, as good as it got.

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 am

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Moonlight Shadow is a great song!
Apparently it is a reference to the murder of John Lennon.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:08 pm

daylon wrote:Moonlight Shadow is a great song!

It is. I thought that a Scot would have prefered Simple Minds though. ;)

Here's another great 80's song from Scotland.

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm

Marko wrote:
daylon wrote:Moonlight Shadow is a great song!

It is. I thought that a Scot would have prefered Simple Minds though. ;)

Here's another great 80's song from Scotland.

phpBB [video]

I like SM, but i'm not a great lover of their music. Maggie Reilly, who sings on Moonlight Shadow is a Scot though :smt023

The Proclaimers are one of the best bands around, a lot of good stuff from them... Sunshine on Leith, I'm On My Way, Letter From America and many more.

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:02 pm

daylon wrote:I like SM, but i'm not a great lover of their music. Maggie Reilly, who sings on Moonlight Shadow is a Scot though :smt023

The Proclaimers are one of the best bands around, a lot of good stuff from them... Sunshine on Leith, I'm On My Way, Letter From America and many more.

Good stuff.

Re: "Starting Over" - The 80's singles thread

Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Here's more stuff from the 80's

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

And finally a bit more obscure track. Finnish rock band Hanoi Rocks which had huge influence on Guns N' Roses and Mötley Crue but never had a big breakthrough (the band's story was cut short when Vince Neill killed their drummer in a car accident). Their only UK hit: a cover of CCR classic Up Round The Bend
phpBB [video]

Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:21 am

12 inch of Blondie's Rapture is great -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HpOIJB5 ... plpp_video

Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:38 am

Best single of the 1980s and candidate for greatest single ever would be Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean," all delirious paranoia fusing elements New Wave and then contemporary R&B. Great groove and bass line and MJ never sang better.

It would probably piss him off because LPs meant a lot to him but the definitive singles artists of the 1980s was Prince. Even when his new LP was a disappointment, he always managed to let loose with a 45 that made you question the value of almost everything else on the air. Time in, time out, innovative rhythms, singing that ranged from witty to madly passionate to purposefully distant. lyrics that could be hysterically funny, sexy or even profound, or even almost disgustingly trashy. If Prince had a new single out, you knew that no matter how bad the rest of the Top 40 might be (and it could vary wildly in those days) you were going to get kick from Prince one an hour. "Controversy," "Little Red Corvette," "1999," "Delirious," "When Doves Cry," "Let's Go Crazy," "Purple Rain," "Raspberry Beret," "Kiss," "U Got the Look," one of the greatest runs of hits ever. Enough gold to make vintage Elvis or Motown or Spector take notice.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:05 am

Great !!!!
The 80's are just awesome.
Die Neue Deutsche Welle !!!
Nena.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Sun Hero on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 am

Holland had some great Dutch bands during the 80's

Doe Maar......
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 am

Madness....... just awesome...

phpBB [video]

The Specials..... brilliant !!!!

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Sun Hero on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 am

Ah, you say you can't beat "Billie Jean"? You CAN!

With "Billie Jean"! (12" single, LONG version)

Let me know what you hear at the end: it sounds cut! (He says something interesting, improvising. It's supposed to be "City Girl," but it doesn't sound that way . . .) This sounds like a radio promo or something, 'cause it's censored! Will upload!)

phpBB [video]

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 am

New Wave....
The Cult....great long version of this song.

phpBB [video]

Soft Cell....Tainted Love....another awesome hit from the 80's......
Love the 12'' remies, long versions etc.

phpBB [video]

Simple Minds....... Alive and Kicking

phpBB [video]

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:39 am

likethebike wrote:Best single of the 1980s and candidate for greatest single ever would be Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean," all delirious paranoia fusing elements New Wave and then contemporary R&B. Great groove and bass line and MJ never sang better.

Yes, one of the three best EVER. None from the '70s. There's just, in chronological order, for popular hits, greatest records: "Hound Dog" (1956, Elvis Presley), "Like A Rolling Stone" (1965, Bob Dylan), and "Billie Jean" (1983, Michael Jackson).

Done.

likethebike wrote:It would probably piss him off because LPs meant a lot to him but the definitive singles artists of the 1980s was Prince. Even when his new LP was a disappointment, he always managed to let loose with a 45 that made you question the value of almost everything else on the air. Time in, time out, innovative rhythms, singing that ranged from witty to madly passionate to purposefully distant. lyrics that could be hysterically funny, sexy or even profound, or even almost disgustingly trashy. If Prince had a new single out, you knew that no matter how bad the rest of the Top 40 might be (and it could vary wildly in those days) you were going to get kick from Prince one an hour. "Controversy," "Little Red Corvette," "1999," "Delirious," "When Doves Cry," "Let's Go Crazy," "Purple Rain," "Raspberry Beret," "Kiss," "U Got the Look," one of the greatest runs of hits ever. Enough gold to make vintage Elvis or Motown or Spector take notice.

Prince was ok. :wink:

rjm

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:41 am

Sigue Sigue Sputnik..........weird....but again just awesome :)

phpBB [video]

Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:57 am

I'm looking for a song I really loved in the '80s, but I can't remember the artist or the name of it. I don't think it's The Cars, but I felt like I was getting warmer. Certainly not REM, I don't think.

In the video, very popular video, this girl is in an insane asylum, falling against a wall. It's "You (can't?)" something . . . I can't remember. This girl is going insane, and she's locked up eventually, and they're lecturing her, sadly, about her fall. I think she might have been in a straight jacket. Or something along those lines. And the song is kind of sad. It was big, the video was in heavy rotation!

Do you know what I'm talking about? What is this song and video, I really liked it!

Very atmospheric. I know it! Just now! "Who's Gonna Drive You Home"!!! Hallelujah!!!

It WAS The Cars!! I love this song!!!

phpBB [video]

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:20 am

More 80's :)

Frankie Goes To Hollywood.......... Relax

phpBB [video]

Two Tribes.........

phpBB [video]

Bronski Beat..... Why
phpBB [video]