Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Hey.

I read that FTD will release Back in Memphis in December.
Can we expect something unheard from the Memphis
sessions?
Hopefully they will release From Elvis in Memphis next year.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:56 pm

There will be much "unheard" material released officially because we really don't have much from these sessions. There has been tons released unofficially through the years, especially with the "The American Way" set. For those who only have official releases, you're more than likely in for a treat. For those who have everything released officially and otherwise, I'm sure there will still be a hidden gem or two to enjoy.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:56 pm

It is always possible, but expect to hear familiar outtakes in the best possible sound.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:11 pm

midnightx wrote:It is always possible, but expect to hear familiar outtakes in the best possible sound.


agree, can't see FTD releasing all the cussing that's on boot releases

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 pm

WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!! No talk about the man in the moon??????

WTF?

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I expect too see less editing on these sessions when it comes to language, simply one of his greatest recording sessions ever!!

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:22 pm

sweetangeline wrote:I expect too see less editing on these sessions when it comes to language, simply one of his greatest recording sessions ever!!


agree.....my fav sessions......with all the cussing :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 pm

One thing we haven't had much of on the quality bootleg releases are alternate vocal takes on the tracks Elvis overdubbed his voice onto when he returned to the studio following his laryngitis. We recently had two examples of Inherit The Wind and Mama Liked The Roses from Venus. I'm hoping for more of this kind of out-take. There's also original unrepaired vocals before his throat problems really kicked in, so there should be some "new" material on offer.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm wondering how the sessions will be covered. BIM and FEIM will cover a lot but it seems that they will need another double FTD CD to get everything from the sessions covered.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Hope this has "Suspicious Minds" as a bonus track. This way we can finally see and hear what the album would have sounded like if this songs was included. Over the years a lot of fans have said if this song was included in this album it would have been a much bigger hit and I agree.

I realize that the legacy release had Suspicious Minds on the Back In Memphis part of the disc already.

Burning Love

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:27 am

sweetangeline wrote:I expect too see less editing on these sessions when it comes to language, simply one of his greatest recording sessions ever!!


Yeah, I was listening to the Elvis Country FTD yesterday and it was refreshing to hear El's "..messed up the
fûç#īñg ending!" comment. What is the policy these days, I don't get why some are chopped, and others not :(

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:42 am

I would think there'll be a number of session 'leftovers', ie: My Little Friend, Who Am I, etc as the original album only runs about 30 minutes. Personally I am hoping for an undubbed My Little Friend with a dry vocal.

I would imagine Suspicious Minds would be included on From Elvis in Memphis when they get around to it, just because that album is stronger material.

It'll be enjoyable no matter what, I'm sure. I have the Venus discs but I'm really looking forward to this one the most out of all the Oct/Dec FTDs!

Axe

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:54 am

I think Don't Cry Daddy and Kentucky Rain can be included on Back In memphis, because both singles were release in the beggining of 1970. I belive some tracks without vocal repair, like Inherit The Wind there will be too. Let's wait for the track list...

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:44 am

I'm hoping they'll calm down about the routine type cussing, and just let people hear the sessions. "Dear Georgie" should not be released. ("Man In the Moon" is from January, 1968, and I don't think it's offensive in that other sense.) But though I know some fool was harassing him with letters, as Marty said, it was uncalled-for, and better left in the shredder. Again, it also contains violent sexual imagery as well, which is kinda odd. So, that one will not be released, and won't be missed.

As for the run-of-the-mill workaday cussing, well, I'd wager that Elvis has a lot of blue-collar hard-working fans who have heard those words before! And their kids have heard A LOT more! A whole lot more. I mean, if parents and even grandparents can't imagine Elvis talking like a hip-hop artist, well they should be reminded that when he recorded "In The Ghetto" in the ghetto, he was, in essence, home. He lived uptown when they first moved to Memphis. He was a street kid. Stanley Booth has written that some kids were warned about Elvis and some other boys by their parents: "them boys is hoods." I don't see this in Guralnick's portrayal, but Booth wrote it. (I believe it was in a TV Guide piece back in the day. I remember it distinctly.)

In any event, if you go to Google Maps, you'll see that 370 Washington, where the Presleys lived in 1948-49, is just several blocks southwest of St. Judes' Hospital, while 827 Thomas St. is a bit more to the north of St. Judes. The Washington St. address is right near Danny Thomas Blvd., the uptown name for Highway 51. Just to the west, between the two addresses, between 1949 and 1969 - between the young teen and the young man, is the "Uptown Neighborhood Association."

370 Washington is now a vacant lot, with a chain link fence.

Image

rjm

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:42 pm

God u ppl are so irritating! Uncalled for?? Violent sexual imagery best left for the shredder??? Dude get a grip this is 40 plus yr old recordings sold mostly to pointy head collectors anyway! U heard any of the garbage that's sold mainstream today??

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!! No talk about the man in the moon??????

WTF?


Come on Rob, you already have two copies of "that" CD, one for the car, and one for posterity 8)

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Great post!

rjm wrote:I'm hoping they'll calm down about the routine type cussing, and just let people hear the sessions. "Dear Georgie" should not be released. ("Man In the Moon" is from January, 1968, and I don't think it's offensive in that other sense.) But though I know some fool was harassing him with letters, as Marty said, it was uncalled-for, and better left in the shredder. Again, it also contains violent sexual imagery as well, which is kinda odd. So, that one will not be released, and won't be missed.

As for the run-of-the-mill workaday cussing, well, I'd wager that Elvis has a lot of blue-collar hard-working fans who have heard those words before! And their kids have heard A LOT more! A whole lot more. I mean, if parents and even grandparents can't imagine Elvis talking like a hip-hop artist, well they should be reminded that when he recorded "In The Ghetto" in the ghetto, he was, in essence, home. He lived uptown when they first moved to Memphis. He was a street kid. Stanley Booth has written that some kids were warned about Elvis and some other boys by their parents: "them boys is hoods." I don't see this in Guralnick's portrayal, but Booth wrote it. (I believe it was in a TV Guide piece back in the day. I remember it distinctly.)

In any event, if you go to Google Maps, you'll see that 370 Washington, where the Presleys lived in 1948-49, is just several blocks southwest of St. Judes' Hospital, while 827 Thomas St. is a bit more to the north of St. Judes. The Washington St. address is right near Danny Thomas Blvd., the uptown name for Highway 51. Just to the west, between the two addresses, between 1949 and 1969 - between the young teen and the young man, is the "Uptown Neighborhood Association."

370 Washington is now a vacant lot, with a chain link fence.

Image

rjm

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Burning Love wrote:Hope this has "Suspicious Minds" as a bonus track. This way we can finally see and hear what the album would have sounded like if this songs was included. Over the years a lot of fans have said if this song was included in this album it would have been a much bigger hit and I agree.

I realize that the legacy release had Suspicious Minds on the Back In Memphis part of the disc already.

Burning Love



The Legacy release will now be obsolete. I could see this coming, hence my non purchase of any "Legacy" re-releases.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!! No talk about the man in the moon??????

WTF?

Those two will most certainly see these:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:30 pm

King Volcano wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:I expect too see less editing on these sessions when it comes to language, simply one of his greatest recording sessions ever!!


What is the policy these days, I don't get why some are chopped, and others not :(


I`ve heard that FTD got complains regarding language issues not cut so we will see less of it in the future :(
Maybe thats why we didnt get Promised land take 1 on classic album.

Shame but I dont think we will get "fu!%#ck you see see rider" false start of suspicious minds :(

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:16 pm

This is just a possible solution:
Original Album
Side 1
Inherit The Wind
This Is The Story
Stranger In My Own Home Town
A Little Bit Of Green
And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind
Side 2
Do You Know Who I Am?
From A Jack To A King
The Fair's Moving On
You'll Think Of Me
Without Love (There Is Nothing)

The Singles:
Suspicious Minds (mono single master)
You’ll Think Of Me (mono single master)
Don’t Cry Daddy
Rubberneckin’

(Conciderations: Kentucky Rain – Who Am I – If I’m A Fool – My Little Friend)

First Takes
This Is The Story (takes 1,2 Memphis Sessions) unrepaired master
A Little Bit Of Green (take 1 – unreleased officially)
From A Jack To A King (takes 1,2,3 Memphis Sessions)
Without Love (take 1) Suspicious Minds – The Memphis 1969 Anthology
Do You Know Who I Am (take 1) Memphis Sessions
You’ll Think Of Me (take 6 – unreleased officially)
Suspicious Minds (take 6 – Memphis Sessions)
And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind – unrepaired master
The Fair’s Moving On – undubbed master (unknown to excist)


Cd2
Outtakes and rareties
It's My Way (Of Loving You) / This Time / I Can't Stop Loving You (Jam)
You’ll Think Of Me – takes 1-22 (maybe selection of takes)
A Little Bit Of Green – rehearsal / takes 2,3)
Rubberneckin’ (takes 1,2 unbubbed master)
Stranger In My Own Town – original version - ) Memphis Sessions
Without Love – (takes 2,3,4 ) Memphis Sessions)
Inherit The Wind – Draft mix
Suspicious Minds – 1/7 several takes and mixes – some unreleased
And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind – outtakes
Do You Know Who I Am – outtakes

This is just a sugestion, nothing official. Maybe i forgot something here or there. But this is what i think what to expect.
Philo

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:51 pm

Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!! No talk about the man in the moon??????

WTF?


I don't get the reference.. what have I missed?
I'm guessing it's something the PC police might find offensive?

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:53 pm

Rob wrote:WHAT????? No Dear Georgie???!!!
WTF?


"Dear Georgie" will be included. Here's the new FTD album cover:


Image

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Now you quit that this instant!

Re: FTD will release Back in Memphis..something new?

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:37 am

L Ray wrote:I'm wondering how the sessions will be covered. BIM and FEIM will cover a lot but it seems that they will need another double FTD CD to get everything from the sessions covered.


I think that's a possibility. We'll have to see how they compile the Back In Memphis release.