Here you can also post any related video's of Elvis too, except impersonator video's where they imitate Elvis' voice of material he recorded.

Tom Jones - Mess of Blues (Tom playing the guitar)

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:11 pm

We all know Elvis sang this song way back then and it is fantastic ofc! 8)

But give it a listen because its first time you see Tom playing guitar and singing, its not bad. :D
Overall very good interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onn_W7fg ... _embedded#

starts at 7.50
Last edited by Oqi on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tom Jones - Mess of Blues (Tom playing the guitar)

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:30 pm

When we look at this and reflect back on Presley, the only thing we can feel is sadness. Here is Jones, 72 years old, and still in damn good voice and growing old with charm and grace but also with some of his old style and swagger. Presley wasn't able to do that, and nor was he able to perform in his last years with the passion, power and control of this man who is three decades older.

On another note, it's always been a shame I think that Presley never did this song live. It would have worked really well, even with the brassy arrangements he later employed in songs such as Lawdy Miss Clawdy etc. A missed opportunity.

Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:33 pm

Nice find. Thank you for sharing the link.

phpBB [video]

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:38 am

Thanks for sharing this.

Really enjoyed TJ singing Mess of Blues ... would've been nice if he had acknowledged Elvis' masterful
version of the song.

phpBB [video]

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:05 am

Thank you Oqi for this interesting find....love it, ansd its really interesting that Tom chose to sing and play that song, great pick , great song

Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:04 pm

poormadpeter wrote:When we look at this and reflect back on Presley, the only thing we can feel is sadness. Here is Jones, 72 years old, and still in damn good voice and growing old with charm and grace but also with some of his old style and swagger. Presley wasn't able to do that, and nor was he able to perform in his last years with the passion, power and control of this man who is three decades older.

On another note, it's always been a shame I think that Presley never did this song live. It would have worked really well, even with the brassy arrangements he later employed in songs such as Lawdy Miss Clawdy etc. A missed opportunity.

Couldnt agree more. It makes you sad for sure, but thank you Tom for still being here, putting out great albums, and treating an Elvis classic with respect. I guess more respect than ever Elvis did in his later years.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:18 pm

Very cool clip!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:37 pm

poormadpeter wrote:When we look at this and reflect back on Presley, the only thing we can feel is sadness. Here is Jones, 72 years old, and still in damn good voice and growing old with charm and grace but also with some of his old style and swagger. Presley wasn't able to do that, and nor was he able to perform in his last years with the passion, power and control of this man who is three decades older.

well said Peter

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:59 pm

I watched this on TV a couple of nights ago, and my first thought was an article I read some 20 odd
years ago in which Tom said he jammed with Elvis in Hawaii, he said he knew more Chords than Elvis did, watching this shows he was talking crap !

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:01 pm

He did a version of Mess of Blues on the cd he made with Jools Holland.It was a really good and worth a listen.When I hear things like this I not only find it sad that Elvis didn't live longer I also find it sad that Parker kept him away from people who could have stretched him as a artist.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Dan_T wrote:I watched this on TV a couple of nights ago, and my first thought was an article I read some 20 odd
years ago in which Tom said he jammed with Elvis in Hawaii, he said he knew more Chords than Elvis did, watching this shows he was talking crap !

A home recording of Tom and Elvis jamming together in the late 60s would be amazing.

I'd bet they sung all those old R&B numbers.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:01 pm

This is sooooo cool, really enjoyed it - thanks for posting! ::rocks

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

I've seen Tom perform live in in Belgium for the first time, just a few hundred miles from where I live on 11-8! His voice was great, especially so on the blues and rock oriented numbers. Great act still, and I'm glad I got to see this living legend. They don't make 'em like Tom or Elvis anymore, folks.

The man still blows away the competition even at his age.

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks for posting, it was an interesting interview, and Sir Tom can certainly chug a pint! (go to 22:45)

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:57 am

yeah, he's still a man's man.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for sharing. he still has THE VOICE, for sure... Saw him live this summer and he was absolutely great. What a pity "our man" din't make it and could be around today. Sir Tom seems to be a very nice, down-to-earth guy, i think

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:31 pm

So now Tom Jones deserves a sticky topic in the all Elvis section on the strength of playing a cover version? Oh, well...
Last edited by HungerMoon on Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:18 pm

Allowing for the Tom Jones love in, How is this a great version of A Mess of Blues?
True Tom has retained his voice and that is one hell of an achievement.
However Tom sang everthing the same, this included.
Subtlety ,texture, phrasing and tenderness were and are not part of Tom's repertoire.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 pm

FredAistair wrote:Subtlety ,texture, phrasing and tenderness were and are not part of Tom's repertoire.

These performances tell a different story.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tom can be accused of oversinging sometimes, particularly in the past, but there's more to him than that.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:28 pm

This was great watching. What a great singer TJ is.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 pm

TJ wrote:
FredAistair wrote:Subtlety ,texture, phrasing and tenderness were and are not part of Tom's repertoire.

These performances tell a different story.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tom can be accused of oversinging sometimes, particularly in the past, but there's more to him than that.

I don't think they do, Tom Jones may have a poweful voice but he sings everthing the same way including your examples. Subtlety ,texture, and tenderness at the very least are missing, there is no ability to caress words and phrases and bend them.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:02 pm

anyone interested on BBC4 tonight at 9pm and 10pm there's 2 progs on Tom

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 pm

thanks for the very nice and COOL clip ::rocks

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Thank you Oqi for sharing this!
Tom Jones' choice of song speaks volume doesn't it? He certainly is a living legend to be treasured.

I've enjoyed re visiting this great topic:

http://elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=61848

and one of my fav pic! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:33 pm

ยป What are sticky topics?
Sticky topics within the forum appear below announcements and only on the first page. They are often quite important so you should read them whenever possible. As with announcements and global announcements, sticky topic permissions are granted by the board administrator.

I guess the admin must be Tom Jones' biggest fan to grant this topic sticky status...