Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

The Human League - Don't You Want Me

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:19 pm

One of the greatest singles [and videos] of the 1980's.

Driven along by an innovative synthesizer score and Phil Oakey's distinctive lead vocal; Don't You Want Me is a track that has aged very well.

You've also gotta love Susan Ann Sulley's charmingly amateurish and yet memorable solo, "I was working as a waitress in a cocktail bar, that much is true...."

Electronic ABBA at it's best!

Enjoy the memories.

phpBB [video]

The classic video

phpBB [video]

1981 TOTP performance (lip-synch)

Re: The Human League - Don't You Want Me

Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 pm

A Bona fide brit pop classic,thanks for posting

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:08 pm

keninlincs wrote:A Bona fide brit pop classic....

Sure is, Ken.

It also topped the Hot 100 in the U.S. in 1982.

In return we got Hall & Oates. :D

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 pm

Thanks mate. Forgot about that song. Real catchy record it was. Brought back lots of good memories. Now how about All of my Heart by an outfit called ABC ? You recall that one ?

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:08 am

ABC were never on my radar, Rob.
They had a few fairly catchy hits but nothing that memorable, IMHO.
Martin Fry's gold lamé suit was pretty cool though..

Re. Don't You Want Me:

Did this not make it to number 1 down under?

P.S. ABBA's 1976 Australian TV special [export version] is due out on DVD soon. Thought you might like to know.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:14 am

Great song and really smart video. I love how they used the process of film editing as the backdrop for the song. The 80s could be incredibly boring at times but you did have these video directors that were going in some really creative directions. Directions that, in this case of this video, had nothing to do with the subject matter of the song, and that was fine with me. Who needs literal interpretations! That's for sissies!

This song for me also has that association with the proverbial 'simpler times'. I was a sophomore in high school when it hit number one in the US in the spring of '82. Man...if I could go back and do some things over again...seriously.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:00 pm

I'll take Hall & Oates over The Human League any day of the week.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:56 pm

Fantastic song. :D There was some fantastic music to come out of the UK in the 80's.
Last edited by memfisking on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:15 pm

midnightx wrote:I'll take Hall & Oates over The Human League any day of the week.

I can't go for that!

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 am

elvisalisellers wrote:ABC were never on my radar, Rob.

Re. Don't You Want Me:

P.S. ABBA's 1976 Australian TV special [export version] is due out on DVD soon. Thought you might like to know.

Not that i can recall. After your topic and the memory it brought back I been reviewing the music charts of 1982 and found many songs I long forgotten or not heard of in years, like some wacker who had a record called Homosapien You remember that one ? LOL LOL LOL

P.S. Thanks that's Great news about ABBA in Australia 1976 but what about ALL of the Wembly 1979 !! concert on blue ray or CD ?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 am

Robt wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:ABC were never on my radar, Rob.

Re. Don't You Want Me:

Not that i can recall. After your topic and the memory it brought back I been reviewing the music charts of 1982 and found many songs I long forgotten or not heard of in years, like some wacker who had a record called Homosapien You remember that one ? LOL LOL LOL

P.S. Thanks that's Great news about ABBA in Australia 1976 but what about ALL of the Wembly 1979 !! concert on blue ray or CD ?

Re. ABBA at Wembley Arena in '79:
Apparently no complete shows were filmed. Sound familiar?
There is however a great quality BBC transcription [audio] disc of one of the complete Wembley shows "available".

I'd personally love to see the February '77 Albert Hall gig/s [filmed on 16mm] see release.
I can't for the life of me understand why "peak period" UNRELEASED visual ABBA material is being held back.

Re. Topic:
Don't remember the song Homosapien, lol.
But no discussion on the pop of 1982 would be complete without mentioning this little toe tapper. :lol:

phpBB [video]

P.S. Seriously, we should start an 80's thread. It should be fun. Up for it?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:35 pm

I love that song "Land Down Under" from "Men At Work". An absolute classic, imo. I never get tired of listening to it, it is timeless.

Personally, i have always preferred the 80's period of music to any other. So much great music came from that time.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Classic 80s track, lovely stuff.

Not my words, Lyn, the words of Shakin' Stevens.