Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Elvis' cover of Hurt was based primarily on Roy Hamilton's version, not Timi Yuro's.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:25 pm

Revelator wrote:Indeed, by 1976 Elvis was a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy who'd thrown his family away for an easy affair (more like several affairs, but moving on...). Unfortunately, when Elvis sings "It's Easy For You" he sounds like a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy on pills and struggling to stay awake.

I respect your opinion and comment, but IMHO the last sentence is a bit over-the-top if not down right insulting to Elvis.

rlj

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:27 pm

elvisjock wrote:Elvis' cover of Hurt was based primarily on Roy Hamilton's version, not Timi Yuro's.

Is that correct? Wow, I'd always been told, even by a local DJ, that Elvis covered Timi Yuro's version. Thanks for the info!

rlj

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Elvis' cover of Hurt was based primarily on Roy Hamilton's version, not Timi Yuro's.

Is that correct? Wow, I'd always been told, even by a local DJ, that Elvis covered Timi Yuro's version. Thanks for the info!

rlj

It is incorrect, the vocal and the arrangement are much more similar to Yuro's version, as one can tell from just the first 20 seconds. Yuro's also contains the recitation which Hamilton's doesn't.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:23 pm

poormadpeter wrote:... the vocal and the arrangement are much more similar to Yuro's version, as one can tell from just the first 20 seconds. Yuro's also contains the recitation which Hamilton's doesn't.

I have to agree... and her version is also beautifully sung. Although a female, her vocals are actually reminiscent of The Platters or Jackie Wilson... at least to me anyway...

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:38 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:... the vocal and the arrangement are much more similar to Yuro's version, as one can tell from just the first 20 seconds. Yuro's also contains the recitation which Hamilton's doesn't.

I have to agree... and her version is also beautifully sung. Although a female, her vocals are actually reminiscent of The Platters or Jackie Wilson... at least to me anyway...

I can;t stand her - the nearest voice I know of to hers is Della Reese, which is also quite harsh in tone and very "full". But Reese always seems to sing with a sense of humour even in her most serious moments. A bit like the now-forgotten Martha Raye, I bet she would have had a wicked sense of fun (in a clean way in Reese's case, but probably not in Raye's!)

Check out the wonderful Della Reese here in what is one of her finest moments! About halfway through, the fun really starts!

phpBB [video]

Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:31 am

Revelator wrote:Unfortunately, when Elvis sings "It's Easy For You" he sounds like a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy on pills and struggling to stay awake.

Again, I think that it's still a genuinely emotional cry from the man (even if it's not in the state that one would have liked him to be in). It's not quite "Lady In Satin," but it's a fair enough document of a "middle-aged guy on pills...struggling to stay awake." I think that just adds to the sadness of the song. It's not a track I *enjoy* listening to, but it definitely means something to me whenever I do play it.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Eggrert wrote:
Revelator wrote:Unfortunately, when Elvis sings "It's Easy For You" he sounds like a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy on pills and struggling to stay awake.

Again, I think that it's still a genuinely emotional cry from the man (even if it's not in the state that one would have liked him to be in). It's not quite "Lady In Satin," but it's a fair enough document of a "middle-aged guy on pills...struggling to stay awake." I think that just adds to the sadness of the song. It's not a track I *enjoy* listening to, but it definitely means something to me whenever I do play it.

The FTD Jungle Room Sessions version I find compelling.and emotive.
The original release weak.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:39 pm

rlj4ep wrote:

rlj

I was a DJ as well, and the Timi Yuro version was on our playlist. I did not hear Roy Hamilton's interpretation until much later. Roy was one of Elvis's musical heroes. The brass introduction immediately brought the Elvis live version to mind. Listen to the way Roy sings "lied to me" in the first verse. Elvis practically imitates him on his studio master.

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:44 pm

elvisjock wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

I was a DJ as well, and the Timi Yuro version was on our playlist. I did not hear Roy Hamilton's interpretation until much later. Roy was one of Elvis's musical heroes. The brass introduction immediately brought the Elvis live version to mind. Listen to the way Roy sings "lied to me" in the first verse. Elvis practically imitates him on his studio master.

I see what you mean. Nice pick up. Thanks very much.

rlj

Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:58 pm

elvisjock wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:

rlj

And listen to the triplet beat and opening cry on the Yuro version. If Presley stole the occasional piece of phrasing from Hamilton, then so be it, but he used the whole of Yuro's arrangement from the opening cry, the triplet beat and the recitation - none of which were on Hamilton's.

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:44 pm

To my ears Elvis' version borrowed much more from Timi Yuro than Roy Hamilton.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Ty All for comments - God Bles u all ::rocks

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:13 pm

It's weird, my uncle, who is still an avid Elvis fan, hated this track back in the day, he got his "Moody Blue" LP in July '77, but now, at age 50, says he can relate to it and now likes it !?

For me, I never really cared for it, kinda ruins the whole B-side of the "Moody Blue" album, IMO.

If the album had closed with "He'll Have To Go", it would have been a much better, well balanced record, which would have made the A-side suck ! LOL

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Steelback wrote:I'm hoping that the undubbed master hasn't been lost somehow. It doesn't appear that the song was prepared for inclusion in the "Our Memories" series (not true undubbed masters, I know), and it wasn't available to Venus for the "Welcome To The Jungle" release.
Given the almost universally recognised poor quality of the released mix, you would have thought Sony might have done something with it before now if they have the master tapes. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will turn up on the "Moody Blue" FTD one day.

Love the song and I actually like the overdubbing on this track.....except Elvis voice should be more upfront in the mix.
His voice isnt perfect here but somehow it fit the song.
I`m hoping we will get Moody Blue - FTD later this year and that undubbed master is indeed included.....fingers crossed.
I never get tied of the master and take1 :D

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:15 pm

minkahed wrote:It's weird, my uncle, who is still an avid Elvis fan, hated this track back in the day, he got his "Moody Blue" LP in July '77, but now, at age 50, says he can relate to it and now likes it !?

For me, I never really cared for it, kinda ruins the whole B-side of the "Moody Blue" album, IMO.

If the album had closed with "He'll Have To Go", it would have been a much better, well balanced record, which would have made the A-side suck ! LOL

Anybody else hears it sounds alot like ''im So lonesome i could cry'' Its almost like a fallow-up to it. If u mixed the 2 songs together ''Im So Lonesome I Could Cry, He'll Have To go''

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:27 pm

I instantly liked It's Easy For You when I first heard it as a 15-year-old boy (I also loved that shiny blue album). Over the years, my feelings for this song have not changed. I rarely get to hear it anymore unless they play it on Sirius or I am listening to one of the session CDs from the Jungle Room.

I was never crazy about that awful mix, but I do like the song.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:56 pm

midnightx wrote:Its Easy For You is the worst studio track on Moody Blue; and arguably the worst recording from the Jungle Room sessions.

I agree wholeheartedly, Midnightx. From reading RFTMM, Marty Lacker also thinks that Elvis sounds pretty bad on, "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" - and I'd had to also agree there.

rlj4ep wrote:
Revelator wrote:Indeed, by 1976 Elvis was a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy who'd thrown his family away for an easy affair (more like several affairs, but moving on...). Unfortunately, when Elvis sings "It's Easy For You" he sounds like a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy on pills and struggling to stay awake.

I respect your opinion and comment, but IMHO the last sentence is a bit over-the-top if not down right insulting to Elvis.

rlj

It's not over-the-top nor insulting...it's the truth. Elvis even mentions during some outtakes of one song, "Hurt", I believe that, "I've got too much **** in me, man!"

So...what does that line tell you?

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Rob wrote:I instantly liked It's Easy For You when I first heard it as a 15-year-old boy (I also loved that shiny blue album). Over the years, my feelings for this song have not changed. I was never crazy about that awful mix, but I do like the song.

I agree, Rob. For some reason this song struck a chord with me, even like you, I was a teenager. To me anyway, Elvis' voice is very convincing.

rlj

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Moody Blue was another uneven Elvis album thrown togehter just to get a product out. I already knew the single, so the remaining songs were just piled on there and they werent very good. However, when the album ends, this gem crops up. Poorly mixed, but what a welcome relief from the overblown ballads of the 70's. It was acutally a straight forward ballad like he used to make. I thought there was some hope. Just like the Blvd album, the best sides were the single sides. Hurt was taken from Timi's arrangement to my ears. Hamilton's is much different.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 pm

I love this song, very well sung. I think Moody Blue is great album. I even always liked Let Me Be There on there. To me it's a consistant album with a good build up. Even Little Darlin' is a fun moment. It makes for a dynamic album. Of course Way Down, Moody Blue and IEFY are my favourite tracks.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:48 pm

rlj4ep wrote:
Rob wrote:I instantly liked It's Easy For You when I first heard it as a 15-year-old boy (I also loved that shiny blue album). Over the years, my feelings for this song have not changed. I was never crazy about that awful mix, but I do like the song.

I agree, Rob. For some reason this song struck a chord with me, even like you, I was a teenager. To me anyway, Elvis' voice is very convincing.

rlj

I agree with both of you. I liked the song the instant I heard it. Hasn't changed a bit.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 am

I have fond memories of the "Moody Blue" album as it was one of my first albums as a young fan. Despite the fact that it's not really a finished album, I still enjoy it and apart from the awful mix, I do like "It's Easy For You".

I don't think it's the worst track on the album either. I would rate it above all of the live recordings except for "Unchained Melody". Also I don't think Elvis' vocal is anywhere near as bad as it is on "I'll Never Fall In Love Again". The latter is an exceptionally poor vocal.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:53 am

I like It's Easy For You. Moody Blue album is fine. Look forward to the FTD version whenever. My least favorite master from the Jungle Room Sessions is Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain.

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 am

It's nowhere near a top-shelf song, but it's better than other material he chose to record in 1976.