Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:14 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Take 1 [The Jungle Room Sessions FTD], heard free from obtrusive overdubs and in a mix that finally gave prominence to Elvis' aching vocal, is quite a revelatory and poignant performance.

I will be interesting to see if FTD do anything with the much maligned overdubbed master [i.e. remix] whenever they turn their attention to the Moody Blue album.

All going well, the undubbed master [take 2] should make it's debut here too.


I'm hoping that the undubbed master hasn't been lost somehow. It doesn't appear that the song was prepared for inclusion in the "Our Memories" series (not true undubbed masters, I know), and it wasn't available to Venus for the "Welcome To The Jungle" release.
Given the almost universally recognised poor quality of the released mix, you would have thought Sony might have done something with it before now if they have the master tapes. Hopefully I'm wrong and it will turn up on the "Moody Blue" FTD one day.

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:54 pm

I too like the song very much.

In fact I like most of the Moody Blue album and also find "She Thinks I Still Care" a great song and performance by Elvis. The emotion Elvis puts into this is just fantastic!
Can't wait for FTD to give this album the "classic" treatment :)

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:53 pm

While some of those who like the song have given their reasons, i see nothing similar from those that think it "stinks". Other than it stinks. This seems to me more of a dislike for the song than any logical reasoning as to why it might be considered bad.

I have always been drawn to the song - which surprises me because I find little of merit in Lloyd Webber's musicals. Presley's performance is "well acted" and, for once in these sessions, he doesn't resort to hysterical shouting as he does in Hurt and I'll Never Fall In Love Again. I even quite like the original mix; at least something different was being tried, even if the mix does sound like a rip off of Shirley Bassey's take on What Now My Love which also sees her miles away at the beginning and getting closer to us as the song progresses.

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm

I like It's Easy For You despite the song being more than a little maudlin. Elvis gives it a very emotional reading. But then again, what do I know? I'm the guy who proclaimed his enjoyment of Love Song of the Year on this board, for which Matthew, who has pull with the Man Upstairs, has gotten me consigned to the lowest depths of Goldmanesque hell!

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Great song.....Elvis is too far back in the mix thou :)

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:00 pm

karlos wrote:Great Song
Enjoy

http://youtu.be/XM8u2TQZAX8


Written By Tim Rice
Found On Cd -Elvis -Moody Blue ::rocks



A thread about It's Easy For you has been created, perhaps several times, before. However, people are free to repeat topics, so I'll join in this one too!

The first Elvis album I ever heard was Moody Blue and whenever I hear this particular track it takes me back to that time when I became an Elvis fan. It makes me feel good, in that sense. Even back then I thought it sounded "English" and not at all like the sound I was expecting from Elvis. But, strangely I was hooked by the performance.

Billy Bragg once said that he and his (now) wife loved listening to Elvis's 40 Greatest Hits because everything he sang sounded "sincere". I find It's Easy For you a real, to-the-heart and from-the-heart communication. For me, it's also a sincere rendering because I think he felt it very deeply when he delivered those takes. His pain - or that of the man in the song - still comes through every time I play the song, which I can't say happens when I hear many other oft-played tracks. For that emotional reason, it's an all-time favourite for me that I will probably never tire from hearing. So, I'm glad he cut it.

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 pm

midnightx wrote:Its Easy For You is the worst studio track on Moody Blue; and arguably the worst recording from the Jungle Room sessions.

That's easy for you to say.

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:39 pm

midnightx wrote:Its Easy For You is the worst studio track on Moody Blue; and arguably the worst recording from the Jungle Room sessions.


Completely agree with you on that midnightx.

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm

elvisjock wrote:But, the naked denial and despair somehow attract many of us to it.


I can't say I've ever heard any naked denial and despair in the performance. Given all the autobiographical resonance of the material, Elvis sounds completely unaffected, almost bored. Either that or he's too depressed to put any life in his singing. A disappointing match, and either Webber or Rice said as much (with good reason) and also criticized the arrangement as unimaginative.

poormadpeter wrote:Presley's performance is "well acted" and, for once in these sessions, he doesn't resort to hysterical shouting as he does in Hurt and I'll Never Fall In Love Again.


If only he had. The real problem with "I'll Never Fall" is that he wasn't able to belt it as loudly as Tom Jones. And with "Hurt" you're left in no doubt that Elvis is living the song, unlike "It's Easy For You," which sounds easy for Elvis only because his vocals are of throwaway caliber.

Re: Its Easy For You

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I like It's Easy For You despite the song being more than a little maudlin. Elvis gives it a very emotional reading. But then again, what do I know? I'm the guy who proclaimed his enjoyment of Love Song of the Year on this board, for which Matthew, who has pull with the Man Upstairs, has gotten me consigned to the lowest depths of Goldmanesque hell!


:smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 am

Revelator wrote:
elvisjock wrote:But, the naked denial and despair somehow attract many of us to it.


I can't say I've ever heard any naked denial and despair in the performance. Given all the autobiographical resonance of the material, Elvis sounds completely unaffected, almost bored. Either that or he's too depressed to put any life in his singing. A disappointing match, and either Webber or Rice said as much (with good reason) and also criticized the arrangement as unimaginative.

poormadpeter wrote:Presley's performance is "well acted" and, for once in these sessions, he doesn't resort to hysterical shouting as he does in Hurt and I'll Never Fall In Love Again.


If only he had. The real problem with "I'll Never Fall" is that he wasn't able to belt it as loudly as Tom Jones. And with "Hurt" you're left in no doubt that Elvis is living the song, unlike "It's Easy For You," which sounds easy for Elvis only because his vocals are of throwaway caliber.


I find the version on the FTD Jungle Room sessions totally compelling along with quite a few of the other tracks including pledging my love.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:58 am

Revelator wrote:
elvisjock wrote:But, the naked denial and despair somehow attract many of us to it.


I can't say I've ever heard any naked denial and despair in the performance. Given all the autobiographical resonance of the material, Elvis sounds completely unaffected, almost bored. Either that or he's too depressed to put any life in his singing. A disappointing match, and either Webber or Rice said as much (with good reason) and also criticized the arrangement as unimaginative.

poormadpeter wrote:Presley's performance is "well acted" and, for once in these sessions, he doesn't resort to hysterical shouting as he does in Hurt and I'll Never Fall In Love Again.


If only he had. The real problem with "I'll Never Fall" is that he wasn't able to belt it as loudly as Tom Jones. And with "Hurt" you're left in no doubt that Elvis is living the song, unlike "It's Easy For You," which sounds easy for Elvis only because his vocals are of throwaway caliber.


I prefer him to sing rather than shout. I have always regarded his shouting during the last years simply a way of trying to cover up his declining abilities, and a way to try to tell us he is engaged with a lyric when actually quite the opposite is true, with Hurt being an obvious example. Many regard this as one of his autobiographical efforts and about his marriage, but if he is effectively accusing Priscilla of lying to him and cheating on him then he is being somewhat hypocritical considering what we know of his own actions during the time of his marriage! To me, It's Easy For You is considerably more convincing (and according to A life In Music the studio chatter confirms this), as opposed to the hystrionics which accompany Hurt and the like which generally has me reaching for ear plugs rather than headphones.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:23 am

poormadpeter wrote:I prefer him to sing rather than shout.


Except that he's not shouting--singing occurs at more than mid-range volume. And starting in 1972 Elvis was attracted to more and more grandiose sounds--the music of his later years is no surprise in that light, and it's practically the only part of his concerts that he showed real interest in. I have no interest in whether or not "Hurt" is autobiographical (in any case there were plenty of other women in Elvis's life beyond Priscilla) just as I have no interest in using studio chatter instead of the actual performance to judge Elvis's interest in a song. "Hurt" has been acclaimed by critics and audiences as one of the highlights of Elvis's later years--"It's Easy For You" on the other hand is the sort of song only Elvis obsessives could love and has remained deservedly obscure. "Hurt" is a histrionic song no matter who sings it, and Elvis's histrionics will always resonate more widely than the lassitude he displays in "It's Easy For You."

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:26 am

poormadpeter wrote:While some of those who like the song have given their reasons, i see nothing similar from those that think it "stinks". Other than it stinks. This seems to me more of a dislike for the song than any logical reasoning as to why it might be considered bad.

The song has been discussed at length in plenty of other threads. My reasoning of the shortcomings of the song, and Presley's performance are well documented. In summary:

-the structure is silly, including the terrible bridge "I should go back to them, what do you think, what on earth.." Blah.
-the song makes Elvis sound old beyond his years. He sounds like some mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy who's thrown his family away for an easy affair.
-the musical arrangement, with those horrid synth strings swirling in the music just adds to the mundane mood of the song.
-Elvis vocal, mix or not, is poor. Wavering about. It reminds me in a way of his terrible vocal on "Take Good Care Of Her".
-the whole thing is just too darn melodramatic for its own good! Best cut on "Moody Blue".. really?

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:27 am

Revelator wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I prefer him to sing rather than shout.


Except that he's not shouting--singing occurs at more than mid-range volume. And starting in 1972 Elvis was attracted to more and more grandiose sounds--the music of his later years is no surprise in that light, and it's practically the only part of his concerts that he showed real interest in. I have no interest in whether or not "Hurt" is autobiographical (in any case there were plenty of other women in Elvis's life beyond Priscilla) just as I have no interest in using studio chatter instead of the actual performance to judge Elvis's interest in a song. "Hurt" has been acclaimed by critics and audiences as one of the highlights of Elvis's later years--"It's Easy For You" on the other hand is the sort of song only Elvis obsessives could love and has remained deservedly obscure. "Hurt" is a histrionic song no matter who sings it, and Elvis's histrionics will always resonate more widely than the lassitude he displays in "It's Easy For You."


He is singing at full pelt not because the song requires it but to cover up the deficiencies of his voice. You find it time and again in the last years, particularly in concerts (and most notably in the raved about mini-tour of dec 76). As for Hurt, I have no idea who this group is, but this is hardly histrionic. Elvis should have concentrated on replicating this version rather than Timi Yuro's. He could have had JD doing the deep voice spoken bit. Would have been a classic.

phpBB [video]

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:37 am

I may be in the minority here, but I'm OK with this song. I think Elvis sings it well and it committed to it. At the same time, the arrangment is a bit "strange" to me. I almost wish the musical arrangement had been a little different.

rlj

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:19 am

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:While some of those who like the song have given their reasons, i see nothing similar from those that think it "stinks". Other than it stinks. This seems to me more of a dislike for the song than any logical reasoning as to why it might be considered bad.

The song has been discussed at length in plenty of other threads. My reasoning of the shortcomings of the song, and Presley's performance are well documented. In summary:

-the structure is silly, including the terrible bridge "I should go back to them, what do you think, what on earth.." Blah.
-the song makes Elvis sound old beyond his years. He sounds like some mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy who's thrown his family away for an easy affair.
-the musical arrangement, with those horrid synth strings swirling in the music just adds to the mundane mood of the song.
-Elvis vocal, mix or not, is poor. Wavering about. It reminds me in a way of his terrible vocal on "Take Good Care Of Her".
-the whole thing is just too darn melodramatic for its own good! Best cut on "Moody Blue".. really?

Says more about you then it does about the song, When it is sung with feeling or emotion you dislike it.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 am

Actually, Matthew's assessment was about the merits (or lack thereof) of the song.

Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 am

retroaudio wrote:Says more about you then it does about the song, When it is sung with feeling or emotion you dislike it.

Think about what you wrote, then come back with something worthwhile. It I hated every song Elvis sung with "feeling or emotion" I wouldn't like any of his music.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:He is singing at full pelt not because the song requires it but to cover up the deficiencies of his voice. You find it time and again in the last years, particularly in concerts (and most notably in the raved about mini-tour of dec 76).


That line of reasoning is little more than a conspiracy theory which postulates that anytime Elvis gave any degree of energy or enthusiasm to a song after 1972 he was really just trying to fool people about how bad his voice was. While Elvis at times undoubtedly subbed power for grace, I have trouble with the bad faith implicit in your argument, though I have valued many of your posts and appreciated you diligence in sticking up for your opinions. But I have to part company with you on this issue.

As for Hurt, I have no idea who this group is, but this is hardly histrionic.


It's hardly that exciting either.

Elvis should have concentrated on replicating this version rather than Timi Yuro's...Would have been a classic.


Elvis's version is already a classic, regardless of what you think Elvis should have done.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:38 pm

Revelator wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:He is singing at full pelt not because the song requires it but to cover up the deficiencies of his voice. You find it time and again in the last years, particularly in concerts (and most notably in the raved about mini-tour of dec 76).


That line of reasoning is little more than a conspiracy theory which postulates that anytime Elvis gave any degree of energy or enthusiasm to a song after 1972 he was really just trying to fool people about how bad his voice was. While Elvis at times undoubtedly subbed power for grace, I have trouble with the bad faith implicit in your argument, though I have valued many of your posts and appreciated you diligence in sticking up for your opinions. But I have to part company with you on this issue.

As for Hurt, I have no idea who this group is, but this is hardly histrionic.


It's hardly that exciting either.

Elvis should have concentrated on replicating this version rather than Timi Yuro's...Would have been a classic.


Elvis's version is already a classic, regardless of what you think Elvis should have done.


It was a joke.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:58 pm

Matthew wrote:-the song makes Elvis sound old beyond his years. He sounds like some mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy who's thrown his family away for an easy affair.


I do believe that that's the point of the song. You don't have to sympathize with the guy to appreciate the [very real, I think] emotion in his voice.

That being said, I can see why someone would dislike the song; it certainly has its flaws. There are a lot of times when I stop the album after the title track. It's not one of his best "sad" songs. But it's a fine track all the same.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:09 pm

Indeed, by 1976 Elvis was a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy who'd thrown his family away for an easy affair (more like several affairs, but moving on...). Unfortunately, when Elvis sings "It's Easy For You" he sounds like a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy on pills and struggling to stay awake.

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:21 pm

Revelator wrote:Indeed, by 1976 Elvis was a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy who'd thrown his family away for an easy affair (more like several affairs, but moving on...). Unfortunately, when Elvis sings "It's Easy For You" he sounds like a mopey, wet blanket middle-aged guy on pills and struggling to stay awake.



Ouch......... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Re: Its Easy For You

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:43 pm

The truth hurts :!: