Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:30 pm

I believe both Carter and Lee Kun *were* asked , I see no reason for them to gloat.......Bob Wall on the other hand though :smt002

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:00 am

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:I believe both Carter and Lee Kun *were* asked , I see no reason for them to gloat.......Bob Wall on the other hand though :smt002

Lee Kun has certainly spoke about being offered a role -- that of a locksmith, who enables entry to the temple and stays behind as a lookout, of sorts.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:43 am

Watched a lotta stuff lately, for example "Offspring" and "The Woman", based on Jack Ketchum's books. Really some sick sh*t.

Also watched "Take Shelter", which is supposed to be a "masterpiece" but I was simply bored.

There hasn't been a real "WOW"-movie for me among the at least fifty films I watched over the past few weeks, except for one:
"Drive", starring Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan. So far, my personal favorite and movie of the year.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:10 pm

I saw Dredd yesterday, and felt much the same way as I did with Total Recall (other than not being fond of the first movie) -- it was competent, fairly well acted and reasonably good to look at, but left me wanting. Urban was good in the lead, playing his Dredd like a futuristic Harry Callahan, albeit with some obscure lip acting. Olivia Thirlby gives good support as his rookie apprentice/partner, despite a thinly-written part. This said, the plot for Dredd is practically non-existent: Dredd and partner are locked in a tower where a drug cartel is making a new strain of narcotic called "Slo-Mo." Shades of The Raid, abound, although we can trace this kind of narrative back to the aforementioned, Game of Death.

Dredd compensates greatly for such little depth and (what seems to be) meagre budgetary concerns with some hard-hitting action, although the use of slow motion is overdone. But the 3D is good in places, as are loud, crunching sound effects. Missing are more threatening enemies, both in the form of henchmen and the gang leader. But this is Urban's show, and he's able and up to the task -- laconic, menacing and unflinching in his poise. I would welcome a sequel.

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Rec 3 :Genesis...enough said the better

Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:21 pm

I saw several movies this past week.

Dark Shadows
Safe house
The Hunger games
The Avengers
Snow white and the Huntsman
Men in black III

Dark Shadows sucked it could never make up it's mind whether it wanted to be serious or silly.
when it was trying to be funny it simply wasn't.

I think the movie should have been more like Sleepy Hollow where it's mostly serious but does have some comedic dialogue.
I did like the first 20 minutes then it turned to crap.

Safe house was good it was just an entertaining action movie.

The Hunger games i really liked it does drag a little in the middle but it remained interesting throughout.

The Avengers really was entertaining i hope the sequel is as good.
I loved how the characters were intergrated into the story.

Snow White and The Huntsman was okay it started out good then dragged in the middle but picked up again towards the end.
Charlize Theron was good in it.

Men in Black 3 was better than Men in Black 2 but still not anywhere near as good or funny as the original.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:45 pm

I got to see Moneyball starring Brad Pitt the other night, which i thought was a pretty good movie.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:20 pm

I saw Joe Wright's unique take on Anna Karenina today, and both admired and enjoyed a film that's, unfortunately, too aloof, but splendidly made. Wright is a fine director, and here, his vision of Tolstoy's classic is played out with a blend of chamber-piece and theatre, with musical sensibilities and occasional notions of Dogme. The staging and settings trap the characters within a stylised Russia of 1873 that evokes Shakespeare's "all the world's a stage" passage from As You Like It -- only occasionally is this stage stepped down from, and the real world seen. Such imaginative and daring film-making is a commodity these days, although this is a story that's good enough to stand on its own two feet without artistic license running wild. But Wright can't be faulted for his ambition. Especially with such a capable cast, led by a splendid Keira Knightly, Aaron Taylor-Johnson on terrific form, and Jude Law at his best -- Law, never once chewing the scenery, wholly articulate, both verbally and physically, with a powerful presence that slowly makes its mark as the story transpires. Outside of this love triangle, it's the more subtle romance between Domhnall Gleeson and Alicia Vikander's Levin and Kitty that feels more honest, true and emotive -- and that's probably because it is. But this is Anna's story, her fate foreshadowed in the opening scenes and raced towards at a pace that keeps a busy narrative constantly moving and always interesting. One of the best cinematic surprises of 2012.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:01 pm

I went to see Dredd in 3D today i loved it (sorry greystoke) i thought it was very well done not overly long like some mordern movies do to drag the movie over 2hrs.i also loved the use of slow motion i thought it was very well done.greystoke you are spot on dredd is like a futuristic Harry Callahan maybe thats why i enjoyed it so much and both urban & Thirlby are great in there roles.a must have on blu-ray.also seen ParaNorman not very good had some funny bits in it but not enough to keep me interrested.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Nice review, rocknroller -- I saw Lawless over the weekend, but it left me quite underwhelmed. Especially after a promising start that, ultimately, didn't deliver. The film looks good, with nice scenery, good location footage and a nice feel for the era, through the costumes and cars. And despite a good cast, the story limps under good direction, but a lack of real purpose.

A good cast is an immediate attraction towards Lawless, especially Tom Hardy, who plays the elder brother among a family of moonshine runners during the depression -- based on the true story of the Bondurants. Shia LaBeouf, Guy Pierce, Jessica Chastain, Gary Oldman and Jason Clarke are the other principal players, but it's LaBeouf who stands out, simply through having the most proactive role. Hardy, who brings a lot of physical menace is laboured with a bit of a thankless part -- whilst Pierce also promises much with his preening, but vindictive enforcement officer. But OTT acting is a huge counterpoint to Hardy's understated performance, and the result soon becomes that of a self-parody. Jason Clarke's role is underwritten, again, despite promise -- whilst Oldman appears and leaves without much point, and Chastain just appears -- again, without much point. It's all very uneven, especially with a hokey voiceover and a lack of real poignancy -- the soundtrack is also heavy-going and feels I'll-conceived for inclusion.

Not a bad film, but far from being the best of its kind, and despite its basis in fact, the material doesn't deliver where a story of this sort should. That's really because its so uneven; mainly in the writing and occasionally with the acting.

Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:24 am

greystoke wrote:Nice review, rocknroller -- I saw Lawless over the weekend, but it left me quite underwhelmed. Especially after a promising start that, ultimately, didn't deliver. The film looks good, with nice scenery, good location footage and a nice feel for the era, through the costumes and cars. And despite a good cast, the story limps under good direction, but a lack of real purpose.

A good cast is an immediate attraction towards Lawless, especially Tom Hardy, who plays the elder brother among a family of moonshine runners during the depression -- based on the true story of the Bondurants. Shia LaBeouf, Guy Pierce, Jessica Chastain, Gary Oldman and Jason Clarke are the other principal players, but it's LaBeouf who stands out, simply through having the most proactive role. Hardy, who brings a lot of physical menace is laboured with a bit of a thankless part -- whilst Pierce also promises much with his preening, but vindictive enforcement officer. But OTT acting is a huge counterpoint to Hardy's understated performance, and the result soon becomes that of a self-parody. Jason Clarke's role is underwritten, again, despite promise -- whilst Oldman appears and leaves without much point, and Chastain just appears -- again, without much point. It's all very uneven, especially with a hokey voiceover and a lack of real poignancy -- the soundtrack is also heavy-going and feels I'll-conceived for inclusion.

Not a bad film, but far from being the best of its kind, and despite its basis in fact, the material doesn't deliver where a story of this sort should. That's really because its so uneven; mainly in the writing and occasionally with the acting.

Cheers for the review, i do fancy the movie hopefully catch it this week.

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Went to see PREMIUM RUSH at the cinema last night great thriller and very funny at times too.

phpBB [video]

Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:03 pm

greystoke wrote:Nice review, rocknroller -- I saw Lawless over the weekend, but it left me quite underwhelmed. Especially after a promising start that, ultimately, didn't deliver. The film looks good, with nice scenery, good location footage and a nice feel for the era, through the costumes and cars. And despite a good cast, the story limps under good direction, but a lack of real purpose.

Your spot on with your review greystoke ! i went to see Lawless today it was not as good as i wanted it to be,i did enjoy it but its not a movie i would buy on blu-ray seeing it once is enough.i did think all the cast played there parts well but the screen play could and should have been better.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:05 am

The past week at the cinema, I've seen Killing Them Softly, Looper and Resident Evil: Retribution.

Killing Them Softly is a well-told, uncompromising mobster tale set against the backdrop of the 2008 presidential elections. Here, two low-rent criminals for hire knock off a card game and fall foul of a gangster's ire. The solution -- Brad Pitt's Jackie Cogan, who is sent to sort out the mess. Produced by Pitt's Plan B production company, this is a well-chosen role in which he gives a fine central performance. One of his best in recent years. Although, the standard of his acting is, typically, sound.

Ray Liotta stands out in a small role that's a bit of a departure for him, whilst James Gandolfini's burnt-out, bleary-eyed hitman brings a new dimension to this kind of character. The entire cast is very good, however; especially Scoot McNairy, in a difficult role. And Richard Jenkins, who works well next to Pitt, bringing a great subtlety in a very natural performance.

Where the film stumbles, is through a heavy-handed approach in the direction. Here, Andrew Dominik hits an uneven tone, because the dialogue and conversational moments work much better than some of the more violent, harder-hitting scenes, which flit from being to the point, and wallowing in attempts at finding more style than required. Additionally, frequent sound-bites, coming from turned-on televisions, become a touch contrived, with speeches from President Bush and senator Obama pertaining to the characters, their circumstances and the pessimistic tone of the film. It's niggling issues like this and the film having plenty of meaning, but not enough purpose, that bring it down a peg. But it's very good, all the same.

Looper, written and directed by Rian Johnson, is a brilliant neo noir in which time travel is used to send mob hits back from the future to be assassinated and disposed of by "Loopers." Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis as the same character; Levitt, the younger, Joe, and Willis, the older, who is sent back to be killed by his younger self. But when the younger Joe hesitates and can't pull the trigger, he becomes wanted by his mobster boss as he hunts down his older self. Shades of Hitchcock and a nod to Casablanca prevail in an engrossing, often highly original thriller, that's familiar in places, but works superbly. Levitt is excellent here, and remains one of the most exciting and talented actors today. Willis gives one of his best performances in years, challenging himself, and the viewer, with a great role. Levitt, here, is made-up to resemble a younger Willis, altering his look, but making him look strangely familiar. Not to the degree of The List of Adrian Messenger, but something not touched on much -- especially in this fashion. Highly recommended, though. One of this year's best films.

I can't quite say the same about the latest entry in the Resident Evil franchise. A series that was never particularly good anyway, but had improved after a few movies. But this feels like a stop-gap on the way to the end of this dragged-out story. A total bore, completely unoriginal, entirely charmless and by-the-numbers in every respect.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

greystoke

Is there a movie you haven't seen? :D

Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:29 pm

Delboy wrote:greystoke

One or two! :D

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:30 pm

greystoke wrote:

One or two! :D

I enjoy reading your posts Greystoke, very informative.

Just out of interest,(you've probably posted them before) what is your top 10 movie favourites?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks, Daylon. I'm sure we've had a top-ten favourite films, too. I've got so many -- usually two, or three, are interchangeable.

Casablanca
Singin' in the Rain
The Searchers
Fist of Fury
The First Deadly Sin
They Died With Their Boots On
King Kong
An American in Paris
Cat People
The Bad and the Beautiful

What's your top-ten?

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Good list Greystoke, I'll have to think about my top 10, but one springs to mind immediately; it would be interesting to read your thoughts on it .... Local Hero. I must have seen it a dozen times by now and never tire of it. I enjoy most of Bill Forsyth films.

Another movie; which was shown recently on TV was Tears of the Sun, not sure if it would make my top 10, but a good film nonetheless. Bruce Willis movies for the most part are usually enjoyable.

I'll get back to you with a top 10. :smt023

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:26 pm

greystoke

I'm surprised to see 'Fist of Fury' make your top ten. It's a fine film of it's genre but if I had to pick one Bruce Lee movie it would have to be 'Enter the Dragon'.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:34 pm

Local Hero is a marvellous film. Brilliantly written and directed by Bill Forsyth -- the setting is wonderful and the entire cast is splendid. Burt Lancaster may have had the best later career of any actor, and his performance here is a gem. Just like the film, itself.

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm surprised to see 'Fist of Fury' make your top ten. It's a fine film of it's genre but if I had to pick one Bruce Lee movie it would have to be 'Enter the Dragon'.

I could easily have picked either, to be honest. Or both . . . Enter the Dragon is brilliant, but Fist of Fury may be the pinnacle of the genre, in my opinion. And where Enter the Dragon leans towards your typical espionage caper, Fist of Fury has an emotional resonance, great plotting and that killer ending. Not to mention stunning fight scenes. The Big Boss is terrific, too. As is Way of the Dragon -- and I could have chosen them, too.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:20 am

Greystoke, I always look forward to reading your reviews. I don't have the time to watch movies in the theatre, so I just buy dvds when available and watch them in the comfort of my bedroom :lol: . And your reviews serve as a guide (although I dont always agree with them.) I would also pick Fist of Fury as the best Lee film, Enter the Dragon is too "Hollywood" for me.
Just watched A Dangerous Method, talky all the way but I enjoyed it. Great performance from the three leading actors.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 am

Hapkido aka Lady Kung Fu 40th anniversary.....Mao , Hung and Ing Sik 8) :mrgreen:
Last edited by Tang Lungs side kick on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:11 pm

I watched "Straw Dogs" last night after a recommendation. I was surprised I'd never seen it before. Took me a while to get really in to it, had me on the edge of my sofa at the end. Most enjoyable!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0999913/