Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 am

62 CD's of Johnny Cash bliss!! http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/20 ... album.html

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 am

Looks great. Just ordered this from Amazon UK for just £147.66. Bargain! :D

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:45 am

At Amazon UK this set is (much) cheaper than at other Amazon shops.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:42 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:At Amazon UK this set is (much) cheaper than at other Amazon shops.


the german amazon store is doing it for 167 euros, which makes it roughly the same as amazon uk i think

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:02 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:At Amazon UK this set is (much) cheaper than at other Amazon shops.


the german amazon store is doing it for 167 euros, which makes it roughly the same as amazon uk i think


Then they must have dropped their price from 267 euros

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:37 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:At Amazon UK this set is (much) cheaper than at other Amazon shops.


the german amazon store is doing it for 167 euros, which makes it roughly the same as amazon uk i think


Then they must have dropped their price from 267 euros


sorry, 176 euros, got the last two digits wrong way round!

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:22 am

I'd love to have this baby!
I just bought some of the Mercury albums so this would be nice to have as well.
I wonder how much would shipping hurt to my location.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:08 pm

I think the mercury albums are under-rated. With the exception of the duets album, I find them a very enjoyable little listen.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:49 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I think the mercury albums are under-rated. With the exception of the duets album, I find them a very enjoyable little listen.


His duet with McCartney is a must have because... McCartney is there :P

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:52 pm

And when compared to Elvis the Complete Masters, its also at a fraction of the price, and it is 62 cds!!!! I heard 63 cds, but who is counting, with so many cds, and a massive book, at such a great price, look at this set going Gold or Platinum real fast! For each set will count as 63 cds, and it will sell very well during the holiday season.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Patrick68 wrote:And when compared to Elvis the Complete Masters, its also at a fraction of the price, and it is 62 cds!!!! I heard 63 cds, but who is counting, with so many cds, and a massive book, at such a great price, look at this set going Gold or Platinum real fast! For each set will count as 63 cds, and it will sell very well during the holiday season.

Come on, calm down. This thing'll maybe sell at best a few thousand units worldwide, but that's about it. Where did you read about the "massive book"? So far I didn't, maybe oversaw it.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:38 pm

No "massive book", just a "full colour booklet" as far as I can see. Looking forward to this a lot.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:43 am

Steelback wrote:No "massive book", just a "full colour booklet" as far as I can see. Looking forward to this a lot.

Sure, it IS a bargain! A shame I already have all of the Bear Family stuff... looking forward to the 70's albums. I hope they did a fine job remastering them, especially "I Would Like To See You Again", which sounded horrible on the CD release.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:34 am

According to what I have read the "booklet" is as follows:

•The accompanying booklet includes a definitive 5,000-word liner notes essay by music historian and author Rich Kienzle.
•Also included in the booklet is complete and extensive discographical information (songwriters, recording dates and cities, musicians, guest performers, producers, release dates, original catalog numbers and Billboard chart numbers for albums and single tracks, and more).

All of that information for 63 albums is going to take up a fair bit of room. Certainly the pictures that are floating around show a CD-case sized book that is probably about 200 pages - top left of the picture on this website

http://www.myplaydirect.com/johnny-cash/johnny-cash-complete-columbia-albums-collection/details/27666844

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:54 am

It's a shame they haven't gone for a larger size book, but I suppose this was dictated by the design of the CD packaging. Still a nice looking set, although I can't see too many people ordering from My Play Direct at that price! :shock:

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:48 pm

Steelback wrote:It's a shame they haven't gone for a larger size book, but I suppose this was dictated by the design of the CD packaging. Still a nice looking set, although I can't see too many people ordering from My Play Direct at that price! :shock:


I know. it was just one of the websites with the full press release.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:07 pm

Well, then I will buy it for the sessionography alone! :D

(The Bear Family stuff only reaches consistently up to 1968...)

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Well, then I will buy it for the sessionography alone! :D

(The Bear Family stuff only reaches consistently up to 1968...)


sell the bear boxes and it's paid for. they hold their prices well.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:19 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Well, then I will buy it for the sessionography alone! :D

(The Bear Family stuff only reaches consistently up to 1968...)


sell the bear boxes and it's paid for. they hold their prices well.

But I really enjoy the booklets and I'm almost sure the sound quality on the Columbia release can't hold up to the great Bear releases.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:48 pm

If you are looking for the best price for this set visit the Johnny Cash Fanzine Store

http://www.johnnycashfanzine.com/store.html

Only £147.70 with free postage.

Peter

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:58 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:But I really enjoy the booklets and I'm almost sure the sound quality on the Columbia release can't hold up to the great Bear releases.


What makes you think that? Anesini worked on The Legend box set and it sounds great, imo. There are issues with some of the stereo mixes on the third Man In Black BF box set where the stereo image on many songs is significantly narrower than the it should be.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Those bear boxes were great, especially Come Along and Ride This Train which contained the 7 concept albums, but their mastering is pretty old now; they must have come out a decade ago. The Cash legacy seems to have had an overhaul and complete remastering similar to that given to Presley a few years back. The key thing here, though, is that the songs will be in album order, which is pretty important when looking at Cash's output. The chronological order just doesn't work right for him.

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Agree with you both. Gotta find out when this beauty arrives by the end of October.

Gotta admit, I didn't like the dry vocal on "The Big Battle" on the Bear box, I preferred the Columbia version (for one example).

A few weeks back I bought a (pretty worn) copy of the "I Would Like To See You Again" / "Lately" single and was surprised what a great, dynamic, punchy sound this thirty-five year old 45rpm had! :o

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:32 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Agree with you both. Gotta find out when this beauty arrives by the end of October.

Gotta admit, I didn't like the dry vocal on "The Big Battle" on the Bear box, I preferred the Columbia version (for one example).

A few weeks back I bought a (pretty worn) copy of the "I Would Like To See You Again" / "Lately" single and was surprised what a great, dynamic, punchy sound this thirty-five year old 45rpm had! :o


That album (I Would Like To See You Again), like so many from the last decade of the tenure at Columbia is really very good. Those last ten years never produced music that was going to change the world, but it is still highly enjoyable in the main. I don't care much for The Last Gunfighter Ballad LP, but I do very much like Johnny 99, Rockabilly Blues, The Baron, Gone Girl, Adventures of Johnny Cash, Heroes and Rainbow. They are uneven albums, and often suffer from an almost saccharine sentimental track or two, but even so I like them very much. Gone Girl has two must have tracks - the cover of No Expectations and the beautiful Song for the Life. The cover of The Gambler isn't bad either, and that, along with tracks such as The Baron and Highway Patrolman, showed that Cash might have been effectively treading water in his career at this point but never lost his ability to tell a good story. Here Comes That Rainbow Again on Rainbow shows this to great effect. It might be a slight tale, and highly sentimental, but there is no doubt that Cash believes every word, and his sincerity shines through.

phpBB [video]

Re: Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:15 am

cashfan wrote:If you are looking for the best price for this set visit the Johnny Cash Fanzine Store

http://www.johnnycashfanzine.com/store.html

Only £147.70 with free postage.

Peter

Thanks, but it doesn't quite match Amazon :)