Chat talk and light discussion

Travels to Graceland from the UK

Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm plotting a trip to Memphis, which will be my first time, and since my husband is showing about the same amount of enthusiasm as a turkey in December, looks like I will be going alone :|
Anyone got any experiences to share re organised trips they've done?
Is it easy getting about out of 'season', with taxis etc?

I'm thinking ARENA, ARCHERS and LEGER (in that order), and was hoping to do the Spring, but none of them seem to do/guarantee Spring departures.

Anyone done Birthday Week with ARENA? Any good? Any negatives?
Should I save up for a jumpsuit as well and go during Elvis Week? :wink:

Re: Travels to Graceland from the UK

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 am

Nobody's going to answer this, are they? :smt090

Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:21 am

Jane,i have travelled from the UK to Memphis many times.its quite easy to get Thomas Cook to build the holiday for you ,IE flights hotel and the restyou can do online inadvance.quite easy really and all scheduled flights

Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:32 am

Yes Ken, I could very easily get flights/hotel booked online, but I thought a first trip (travelling alone due to husband dragging heels and not being a fan and unwlling to spend a significant amount of money on a trip he isn't particularly interested in doing) would be better done with a company that does the whole deal including the sightseeing/Graceland/Sun etc entry.
Just wondered if anyone here had any experience out of the UK with an all-in tour.
Now thinking of Birthday Week.

Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:21 pm

JaneTLC wrote:I'm plotting a trip to Memphis, which will be my first time, and since my husband is showing about the same amount of enthusiasm as a turkey in December, looks like I will be going alone :|
Anyone got any experiences to share re organised trips they've done?
Is it easy getting about out of 'season', with taxis etc?

I'm thinking ARENA, ARCHERS and LEGER (in that order), and was hoping to do the Spring, but none of them seem to do/guarantee Spring departures.

Anyone done Birthday Week with ARENA? Any good? Any negatives?
Should I save up for a jumpsuit as well and go during Elvis Week? :wink:

Hi Jane,

If you go in December try to get into Heartbreak Hotel. I liked it very much to be able to walk up to the Meditation Garden every morning. When you're staying downtown that's gonna be a lot harder to do. Plus there is a little van from Sun Studio's that does regular pick-ups at HH. They will bring you to the studio at Union or right up to Beale Street. They'll charge nothing, although they more or less expect you to tip the driver :) Still a lot cheaper than a cab! Off course, when you want to see other sites around town, you will have to rent a car or take a taxi. Still, I have been with fanclubs (including Arena) to Memphis, but found that it's always cheaper to get a ticket and a hotel by yourself. You'll save some money which can be well spend in Memphis! :D

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I walked from La Quinta , wasn't really that far even though I'm couch potato :smt002

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Graceland sounds like a Grace Jones theme park , now *that* would be scary :shock: :smt005

Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:09 pm

hello

i live in the wirral . i went to memphis in april 2004 the weather was ok and not a lot of people . you can see the pictures on my website

www.rockabilly.mirax.org.... click on usa trip

guzzi