Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Unedited Masters - Hollywood To Nashville 1972-1980 (Ve

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:28 am

I'm still amazed at the quality of the unreleased (until now) 80's remakes. Not only they are good remakes, they also sound like from outer space indeed!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:And here's Take 1 of "Fool" with a sort of "fixed" but faded ending (not too well done, just in a hurry):
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/36569163/file.html

Thanks....this is what Venus should have done on this and a lots of other tracks with
similar "faults"

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:17 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Oh, and the "undubbed" master of "For The Good Times" is clearly NOT from a tape source - the acetate crackles are still there and very clearly audible.

I've doctored around a little with EQ and ClickRepair and now it sounds like this:
http://www35.zippyshare.com/v/84619452/file.html

And here's Take 1 of "Fool" with a sort of "fixed" but faded ending (not too well done, just in a hurry):

Is it possible that the channels on the overdubbed master of "Always On My Mind" are switched or is it just a different mix?

The master of "Burning Love" runs about four seconds longer than on "Second To None" but this is really cool - I love unedited versions!

Now that I've listened to the re-recording of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall", I think Elvis' vocal performance wasn't too bad.

I still don't like Elvis' squeeking vocal on "Hey Jude" but it's fun to clearly hear the MF on the ending (that shows how serious he was about that song)... :D

Just a few thoughts...

Any chance of uploading For Ol' Times Sake, lj1?

There you go:
http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/48913214/file.html

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:52 am

I have to say I can't fault Venus. I have loved all there releases. By far the best "import" label IMO.

No matter how they get them or what the source (Tape etc) they are by far the best sounding versions I have heard of unedited masters etc (unofficially released of course).

I thank you venus, I always look forward to your work.

What is next I wonder? We've had nearly all the 70s bar the Raised On Rock sessions. Id take more if those 80s remakes too!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:21 pm

The quality of this cd is very good.

"I like the complete "Fool" with strings very much, shame that the "string-Seperate ways" could not be included, so far it's only heard as cracky version from acetate source.

The "For ol' times sake" version is outstanding.
You have to wonder why it was left of from the FTD version of these sessions.

Just like "Kentucky rain" at the time suddenly apeared on "The other side of Memphis", "For ol time" gives newlife to a known recording.
Not that it's better, it's different, and i like it.

Whatever Venus their source is, it's impressive they got "that" source...
A very welcome release!!

Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:54 pm

KingElvis wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:And here's Take 1 of "Fool" with a sort of "fixed" but faded ending (not too well done, just in a hurry):

Thanks....this is what Venus should have done on this and a lots of other tracks with
similar "faults"

Yes lets have Venus doctor and edit the original tapes just like FTD. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:59 pm

promiseland wrote:
KingElvis wrote:

similar "faults"

Yes lets have Venus doctor and edit the original tapes just like FTD. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Talking about endings of many tracks on Venus releases that has music gone for a split second.....just like fool take1 has at the very end.
Another excample is T-r-o-u-b-l-e on "Christmas Today"

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:03 pm

billyblues wrote:I got to hear the two 1980 remakes (not exactly e-mail with MP3 annexed but oh well...).

Frankly, it may be my ears but both sound better than the actual original recordings and it's a mystery why they weren't used.

I don't know, maybe deaf ears, but that "remake" of "For Ol Times Sake" doesn't hold a candle to the original 1973 recording Elvis did at Stax. Elvis' recording still sounds great and has stood the test of time. The 1980 recording has not and it's obvious why it was NOT released.

Quite frankly, it sucks, but if you enjoy that dated ugly sound, more power to ya.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm

I am no friend of remakes after Elvis' death...if he wanted it to be recorded in a different way..
..he would have done it..by himself in the studio..

This Guitar Man album had one single purpose back then..riding on the wave of remixes to
enhance the wealth of the people involved...well it was the time..

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:14 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I am no friend of remakes after Elvis' death...if he wanted it to be recorded in a different way..
..he would have done it..by himself in the studio..

This Guitar Man album had one single purpose back then..riding on the wave of remixes to
enhance the wealth of the people involved...well it was the time..

Yes good point, I find these recordings nice alternatives to the superior originals, were some of the remixes work and others do not, especially the songs from 1969. I'm glad FTD released the remixes though and I hope they release a volume two in the near future because I'm curious to hear the unreleased mixes of shake a hand, and I love you so, and I really don't want to know.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:11 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Any chance of uploading For Ol' Times Sake, lj1?

There you go:
http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/48913214/file.html

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Although not a patch on the perfectly understated 1973 master - it is a more than worthy rethink.

Perhaps an appearance on the 1981 "Guitar Man" album would have juxtaposed with the mainly upbeat selections Jarvis eventually chose.
That said, it was a missed opportunity not finding a slot for it on the FTD version. Especially when many noticeably inferior remakes actually did make the cut.
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:18 pm

According to "Elvis sessions III" the following numbers had also a "new" re recording and remain unreleased on FTD, Sony or import.

And i love you so- That's what you get for lovin' me- Funny how times slips away-
Blue eyes crying in the rain- Bitter they are harder they fall- Shake a hand-
Help me- Susan when she tried- The fool- (another) Guitar man.

It's not that these tracks from these re-recordings are better, they are different, a nice alternative to be heard.
I remember the first time i listened to "Guitar man" on tape.
I liked it very much, i still do, but in no way that i like them more then the originals.
"Kentucky rain for instance is a very VERY good newer version, but the original remains timeless.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:52 pm

minkahed wrote:
billyblues wrote:I got to hear the two 1980 remakes (not exactly e-mail with MP3 annexed but oh well...).

Frankly, it may be my ears but both sound better than the actual original recordings and it's a mystery why they weren't used.

I don't know, maybe deaf ears, but that "remake" of "For Ol Times Sake" doesn't hold a candle to the original 1973 recording Elvis did at Stax. Elvis' recording still sounds great and has stood the test of time. The 1980 recording has not and it's obvious why it was NOT released.

Quite frankly, it sucks, but if you enjoy that dated ugly sound, more power to ya.

I've got to agree it's horrible, like the rest of the 1980 remakes.... yuck !

Thanks for posting it, LJ1....

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:23 pm

You're welcome! Somehow it's quite interesting, but I'd rather listen to the hauting original a-thousand times before I give this "remix" another spin again.

Oh and I'm glad VENUS doesn't tamper with the tapes, leave them like they are, for god's sake!
The editing I do is simply destined for my listening pleasure (and maybe some others on this forum, too).
I'm fully aware that I adulterate the original recordings. I just can't listen to "That's a gas!" anymore... :D :mrgreen: :wink:

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:47 pm

JohanD wrote:According to "Elvis sessions III" the following numbers had also a "new" re recording and remain unreleased on FTD, Sony or import.

And i love you so- That's what you get for lovin' me- Funny how times slips away-
Blue eyes crying in the rain- Bitter they are harder they fall- Shake a hand-
Help me- Susan when she tried- The fool- (another) Guitar man.

Thanks Johan, I would be interested to hear those versions on a possible future FTD release.

It's not that these tracks from these re-recordings are better, they are different, a nice alternative to be heard.
I remember the first time i listened to "Guitar man" on tape.
I liked it very much, i still do, but in no way that i like them more then the originals.
"Kentucky rain for instance is a very VERY good newer version, but the original remains timeless.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:43 pm

minkahed wrote:I don't know, maybe deaf ears, but that "remake" of "For Ol Times Sake" doesn't hold a candle to the original 1973 recording Elvis did at Stax. Elvis' recording still sounds great and has stood the test of time.

My thoughts exactly. This is one of my favourite songs. This remake spoils the vulnerability that is so essential in the original recording.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:17 pm

Re-did this slightly for my own comp , my tweaked OLD TIME SAKE, give it a spin nice and full tell me what u think .........

http://en.packupload.com/TSPW2DK4X2N

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:22 am

I don't mind if the recording was made after Elvis death... The point is you have the opportunity to obtain this kind of stuff. I know that this kind of release is made from fan to fan. So, I'm glad with it. Thank you very much to Venus to share this stuff with us. Thank you the same way to Audionics, Straight Arrow, Gravel Road, Backdraft and some others to share this material. Because of you, Venus and others, now we can or not buy that kind of material !!! Thank you !!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks Mike Do you have the new Venus CD? What do think about it ? I find all these Venus releases very essential, and of high quality.
"Moody Blue" unedited is a treasure and a nice surprise to this volume.

Thanks Mike and let us know your thoughts on this beautiful release!

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:26 pm

promiseland wrote:

"Moody Blue" unedited is a treasure and a nice surprise to this volume.

Moody blue unedited is great but this version has been out before so its not previously unreleased.....like many others on this new Venus release.

Higlight for me is "For Ol times sake"............its not better than the master but its something
different :)

Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:48 pm

No Sir, not yet. Too many releases bought lately and as I am in the middle of a moving it will take me some time to get this :(. But eventually I think I will get it. I love all the VENUS releases and my favourite are the Jungle Room sessions because of the load of unreleased takes included on them 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:36 pm

The mixes of "Fool" (Master) and "Moody Blue" contain a little too much "shake that tambourine" for my taste... :D

Here's "Burning Love", the unedited master (with faded ending up to the very last bit):
http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/35012069/file.html

Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 am

Just listened to this CD :lol: Well for me the highlight are expletive at end of unedited fool, swearing at end of hey jude and for ol times sake sounds very different and a worthwhile listen! however i must say that despite excellent sound quality. we get here ' just a few crumbs' left from the Elvis loaf! of cource i realise that is all now thats 'new' that is left and i did enjoy this release but % wise very, VERY little is new or unheard! :|

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:23 pm

It's 2012, and beggars can't be choosers.

This new Venus release offers several very satisfying recordings in terrific quality, with the highlights mostly deriving from Presley's last great studio session, March 27-29, 1972 at RCA Hollywood. The best cut leads it off, takes 5 (false start) and 6 (master) of "Burning Love." It's really cool to hear how Elvis remains engaged all the way to the outro, well after the official fade, and Felton cutting in with his standard exclamation of how the performance is " a gas." This was the last #1 of Elvis' career, and remains a classic to this day. Wish there could have been more.

Other semi- or completely undubbed/unedited numbers from March 1972 that are worthy include "For The Good Times," "Separate Ways" and "Always On My Mind." Elvis always delivered on a quality song that he believed in, and these are perfect, intimate examples.

Two Graceland tracks that sound good are "Pledging My Love" and "Way Down," which made up the last single released in his lifetime. His voice is deep, and sounds "thick," but he still delivers, and I can still remember hearing "Way Down" blasting out of someone's radio, tuned to a country radio station, in July of 1977. The vocals are dry on these cuts, and it is very cute someone (at Venus?) pushed the legendary barking dog caught on tape at the end of "Way Down" way up in the mix. Woof-woof-woof!

A surprise (as everyone now knows) is hearing the posthumous, 1980 remake of "For Ol' Times Sake." It's a great song, and it's a beautiful piece of work. It's surprising Felton left it off of 1981's Guitar Man. The 1980 re-do of "Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall" is also very noteworthy, as Elvis' vocal is to the fore, and far superior to what I remember. It may be one of his best vocal performances from the Graceland sessions, with no flatted or missed notes, a command of the material, and a deep feeling that were all buried in the LP track mix released in 1976.

Overall, this one should find a place in your collection. No one else is doing it like the Venus label these days.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Agree. Just received the CD and enjoying it. Bear in mind guys the well will eventually run dry. Take it while you can.