Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Early Elvis in Tupelo --> Correct Dates?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:11 pm

Tried to fix it a little form my original post yesterday - anyone got a better copy of this?

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:32 pm

This is from Tupelo Mississippi View magazine (1977). It says this is the first grade photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks, The fool.

A shame the image is damaged. The reworked one is worse.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:04 pm

How 'bout this one?
Date 01.jpg

I'd say around 1949-1950... anyone?

And how about these?:

1 Image
2 Image
3 Image
4 Image
5 Image
6 Image
7 Image
8 Image
9 Image
10 Image
11 Image
12 Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Almost none of those photos are on topic, and since you didn't post them as attachments they are distorting the dimensions of the page, but thanks for sharing.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:42 am

The fool wrote:This is from Tupelo Mississippi View magazine (1977). It says this is the first grade photo.

WOW. New to me. Thanks for posting this. To see this is almost like finding a new Sun recording.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Almost none of those photos are on topic, and since you didn't post them as attachments they are distorting the dimensions of the page, but thanks for sharing.

And wt about that pic of supposedly a young (aged 6?) Elvis riding on a horse or something that was posted here a year or so ago? (I can't find it).

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:46 pm

rjm wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:A somewhat damaged picture I saw when in Tupelo the other week, thought it appeared new to me so took a ‘snap’ of it.

Wow, Julian! I saw those striped overalls (pronounced "overhauls" in the deep south) on him before. I do not know if I saw this shot ever before, though! (And I have no recall as to where I saw the striped ones, either, so this is GREAT!)

rjm

rjm the striped overalls may be the talent fair shot of Elvis with the glasses.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:12 am

promiseland wrote:rjm the striped overalls may be the talent fair shot of Elvis with the glasses.

It's not. The one known photo is a group shot. And Elvis was in the fifth grade at the time of the talent show, which was held on Wednesday, October 3, 1945.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:08 am

I had a stab at some facial reconstruction as I was curious to see what the original photo may have looked like. I know it's far from perfect but it's REALLY difficult to do much with a low resolution image so I think this came out ok all things considered. Just think of what this little boy had in store for him just a few years down the road.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:26 am

That is very fine work, thank you for giving it a go.

Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 pm

Hello folks,

the FIRST ONE is from MILAM SCHOOL PERIOD & the correct year is 1948 !

Bottom reads: SCHOOL DAY 1948 - TUPELO

Were photographers hired by the schools to take photos to alumni. One copy was left to school, the other one was given to alumni.

The other 2 are interesting too.

Should someone go to Graceland and ask to see all their scrapbooks to dig on the Elvis childhood era for making a nice publication with all the exact dates & details then.

REMIND ALSO: the photo depicting ELVIS WITH HIS 1ST GUITAR should exist as well.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:01 am

Hound Dog 2000 wrote:Hello folks,

Sorry, but this is incorrect. It actually reads:

SCHOOL DAYS 1947-48
TUPELO

471000_Tupelo school photo.JPG

The image is correctly slotted on page 1 as Elvis' 7th grade photo in 1947.

Also note, the family moved from Tupelo to Memphis in 1948.

Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Hound Dog 2000 wrote:Hello folks,

Sorry, but this is incorrect. It actually reads:

SCHOOL DAYS 1947-48
TUPELO

471000_Tupelo school photo.JPG

The image is correctly slotted on page 1 as Elvis' 7th grade photo in 1947.

Also note, the family moved from Tupelo to Memphis in 1948.

Ops...yes you are right John !

That's from Sept. 1947 I assume then. Just when the school period started.

Thanks for your always accurate observations.

Any idea if someone is digging into Graceland scrapbooks in order to publish any still unknown artfacts ?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:43 am

Thanks, djc, good to see all the early pics in one thread and thanks to everyone for contributing to identifying the dates. :smt041

Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:rjm the striped overalls may be the talent fair shot of Elvis with the glasses.

It's not. The one known photo is a group shot. And Elvis was in the fifth grade at the time of the talent show, which was held on Wednesday, October 3, 1945.

Your right Doc the images are of a different time.

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks Doc for the OP

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
1949_Memphis.jpg
1949_Memphis

Any early photo experts out there?

This is his 7th grade photo, taken in 1947.

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Here´s another one that haven´t been posted in this thread.
Elvis has been reported as being 10 years old, 8 years old, 7 years old and 4½ years old. It was taken in front of his uncle´s house in Tupelo.
Tupelo-Uncles house.jpg

And here´s one from his 6th grade.
6th grade.jpg

When were these photos usually taken? I saw that Hound Dog 2000 mentioned September when the school had just started. Was that the usual time for the single person photos to be taken and were the group photos taken at the end of the school year? Any ideas?

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:07 pm

bripet56 wrote:Here´s another one that haven´t been posted in this thread.
Elvis has been reported as being 10 years old, 8 years old, 7 years old and 4½ years old. It was taken in front of his uncle´s house in Tupelo.
Tupelo-Uncles house.jpg

6th grade.jpg

When were these photos usually taken? I saw that Hound Dog 2000 mentioned September when the school had just started. Was that the usual time for the single person photos to be taken and were the group photos taken at the end of the school year? Any ideas?

Sincerely
Brian

I know all during the late 60's thru the 70's this would be correct for the public schools in the US in my area.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:28 am

Tupelo-Uncles house.jpg

6th grade.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

The class pic is said to be taken in his 6th grade, that would be 1946.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:30 am

JimmyCool wrote:How 'bout this one?
Date 01.jpg

I'd say around 1949-1950... anyone?

And how about these?:

1 Image
2 Image
3 Image
4 Image
5 Image
6 Image
7 Image
8 Image
9 Image
10 Image
11 Image
12 Image

The first one was taken in 1950, while Elvis was a library worker at his school, Humes.

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 am

douglasvcampos wrote:
Tupelo-Uncles house.jpg

6th grade.jpg

Sincerely
Brian

The class pic is said to be taken in his 6th grade, that would be 1946.

Not if the class group photos were taken at the end of the school year, then it would be around April/May 1947.

Sincerely
Brian

Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 am

bripet56 wrote:Not if the class group photos were taken at the end of the school year, then it would be around April/May 1947.

School photos (portraits, class) are usually taken in late-September, early-October of the school year.

Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bripet56 wrote:Not if the class group photos were taken at the end of the school year, then it would be around April/May 1947.

School photos (portraits, class) are usually taken in late-September, early-October of the school year.

OK, thanks Doc.
I wasn´t quite sure if Promisedland answered both my questions with one answer but as I can understand both the portraits and the group photos were usually taken at the same time (late Sept-early Oct), is that correct?

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk