Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: SoundScan (US) sales-figures

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:09 am

In case anyone wondered, the version of "My Way" on Elvis Uncovered is the studio recording. It doesn't sound as bad as I remembered it. A little unsure phrasing in places, but still a good recording.

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:In case anyone wondered, the version of "My Way" on Elvis Uncovered is the studio recording.
It doesn't sound as bad as I remembered it. A little unsure phrasing in places, but still a good recording.

But not as good as what they should've put on the disc... the Aloha version or the June 21, '77 version!

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:43 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:This is how 8 of Elvis' albums did this week

Title.......................Soundscan sales this week......Last..............Total

I AM AN ELVIS FAN.................... 3317....................19...............3,336
ELVIS UNCOVERED.................... 1789..................xxxx............13,720.
BEST OF LOVE......................... 1628................1656........... 287,069
HEART & SOUL........................... 1250................1186...........574,178
AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN ..1141.................1084.......... 481,755
ELVIS COUNTRY........................ 1138...................986...........123,147
ELVIS CHRISTMAS......................... 14.................... 20...........599,652
CHRISTMAS DUETS....................... 14.....................11...........490,239

Well, two cd's look like there on their way to GOLD status very shortly, but as for those lame Sony "Uncovered" and "I Am An Elvis Fan", ugh ...what's the purpose ?

If anything, Elvis might sell a bunch of cd's in the next week or two, but then, it'll start going back down to the 1,000 copies a week figures, whichI reitinerate, if discs have to sell 500,000 copies for the riaa to certify a title to go "GOLD", these releases are just not gonna cut it.

There is no more market at retail for Elvis anymore becau even the most casual of fans own or have bought the same tracks over and over and over at least half a dozen times over the last ten years.

By the way, where is mael ?

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm

'I Am An Elvis Fan' also entered the Billboard Rock Albums Chart at No.45 and the Billboard Country Albums Chart at No.27 for w/e 18th August, 2012.

Brian

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:28 pm

minkahed wrote:There is no more market at retail for Elvis anymore

WRONG!! if a lousy product like I AM AN ELVIS FAN can sell well over 3,000 copies (lousy again) and achieve a # 137 placing on the billboard chart (again lousy) than surely a decent product with some promotion can do much much better even in these times, and yes even with another greatest hits release but the fact remains is that Sony failed in all areas with regards to this mainstream release, plain and simple, the whole thing feels like it was put together by school children and if that`s the goal, they achieved it, totally embarrassing for the greatest entertainer of the 20th century, makes me think of the ELVIS SINGS FOR CHILDREN AND GROWNUPS TOO days, yuk!!!

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:43 pm

EPE has got the wrong notion as far as the extent to which the regular Presley admirer will go out of his or her way to even consider the possibility to buy a CD without being reminded about its availability.

It is as simple as that. The majority of the 3,300 who bought it were most probably regular visitors at elvis.com and that's fine, but if this CD had been .intelligently advertised it could have landed inside the top ten this week. But the cost of such advertisement would have been higher than the returns, so SONY just let the CD do its own ad. campaigns and this is what they got back. A lousy 3,300 copies.

Maybe they're expecting the 50,000 who will most likely show up at the candlelight vigil to but it, by placing an equal number of CD's at the entrace to Graceland in August 15 (LOL)

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:24 pm

exactly again Jaime1234

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:17 pm

This is how it's done (LOL). EPE buys 50,000 physical copies of "I am an Elvis fan" CD. About 1,000 in each state (LOL). That's a US$500,000 investment. Have them all be sent to Graceland. EPE will then place them at the entrance, as the vigil starts. I'm willing to bet, if only for the memento, 30,000 will buy it. It's 10 dollars they will pay so EPE will get back US$300,000, instantly. Because the info to soundscan was already sent anyways, what will happen the next week, will be that the album lands in the BB200 top ten, with the consequent free publicity that its entering there, on the fortnight after the 35th anniversary of his passing away, will surely entail.

From there onwards, the additional 20,000 copies it will need to sell, to make EPE break even, will be around the corner so to speak. And three things will be achieved.

i) Sales, with a return in your investment, in about a month's time,
ii) free publicity, and

iii), a couple of additional milestones would have been reached, most notably the biggest span between top tens in the history of the Billboard 200, an amazing 56 years.

This is how the top ten did, this week.

RICK ROSS DEF JAM/IDJ ..............215,015 -- 1
2 ZAC BROWN BAND ATLANTIC....... 40,524 -14%
3 JUSTIN BIEBER ISLAND/IDJ............ 35,853 +6%
4 ONE DIRECTION SYCO/COLUMBIA.. 33,898 +3%
5 KIDZ BOP KIDS RAZOR & TIE......... 31,233 -10%
6 NAS DEF JAM/IDJ............................ 30,387 -29%
7 ADELE XL/COLUMBIA .......................28,443 -4%
8 MAROON 5.A&M/OCTONE................. 25,377 +5%
9 JOSS STONE S-CURVE....................... 24,130 --
10 GLORIANA EMBLEM/REPRISE............. 22,551 --

Now, isn't it incredible that on the wake of the largest gathering ever assembled, for the anniversary of the passing away of an entertainer, that not a single of his albums is given the chance by his label, to land inside this already depreciated list because of the lack of a single ad, or imaginative idea?

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:39 pm

sweetangeline wrote:

WRONG!! if a lousy product like I AM AN ELVIS FAN can sell well over 3,000 copies (lousy again) and achieve a # 137 placing on the billboard chart (again lousy) than surely a decent product with some promotion can do much much better even in these times, and yes even with another greatest hits release but the fact remains is that Sony failed in all areas with regards to this mainstream release, plain and simple, the whole thing feels like it was put together by school children and if that`s the goal, they achieved it, totally embarrassing for the greatest entertainer of the 20th century, makes me think of the ELVIS SINGS FOR CHILDREN AND GROWNUPS TOO days, yuk!!!

What's WRONG ???

That I am RIGHT !!!

Your agreeing with me friend ...

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:39 pm

your misunderstanding my post;

I`m saying YES THERE IS IF IT`S DONE PROPERLY, sadly Sony failed miserably with this latest one but that does`nt mean as you stated "there`s no market". It has to be done right!!

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:52 am

And just what ideas are left to employ SONY to promote Elvis in such a way that he will ever sell in big numbers ever again ?

Even if Sony had promoted this last disc with some tv ads, radio ads, magazine articles, what have you, how many units do you think they could have pushed ?

How many young people are out there running to purchase an Elvis release ?

Not many, hence, there really is no market for Elvis at retail anymore, c'mon, get with it already.

In a fair notion, Let's wait and see what the "Prince From Another Planet" will move, then we'll determine and really argue this for real.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:55 am

Jaime1234 wrote:Maybe they're expecting the 50,000 who will most likely show up at the candlelight vigil to but it, by placing an equal number of CD's at the entrace to Graceland in August 15 (LOL)

They will put the potato heads and the rubber ducks at the entrance. :smt003 :smt003

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:12 am

minkahed wrote:And just what ideas are left to employ SONY to promote Elvis in such a way that he will ever sell in big numbers ever again ?

first of all lets be realistic, were not going to ever see the numbers that the 30# 1 Hits pulled off, simply because the retail market has changed drastically in the last ten yrs and that for all artists not just Elvis but have no doubt I AM AN ELVIS FAN was the worst of the worst so what I was simply stating was that idea can be greatly improved on if sony were to put the effort behind it but it has to be a exceptional product to begin with

minkahed wrote:Even if Sony had promoted this last disc with some tv ads, radio ads, magazine articles, what have you, how many units do you think they could have pushed ?

definately more but like I said the product sucked to begin with

minkahed wrote:How many young people are out there running to purchase an Elvis release ?

who says it has to be aimed at only young people??

[quote="minkahed"]Let's wait and see what the "Prince From Another Planet" will move, then we'll determine and really argue this for real.

there won`t be any argument then either because I can tell you right now that sony is`nt going to push this one anymore than the current one and that`s the biggest problem sony (and for that matter you too) have right now, they have given up and are quite happy with the little investment and so so returns. I stand by what I have said, with a very good product and heavy promotion Elvis could easily have been in the top ten on billboard during this anniversary week, but sadly they did`nt really want it and you are thinking the same as them, I am glad you don`t work for sony, The idea that Elvis sells himself in 2012 is a big mistake!!

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Sony (UK) consider that what Elvis needs to get him back in favour with the general public is a top notch film along the lines of the Johnny Cash epic 'Walk The Line'. Until that happens they will not spend much effort in marketing any new releases.

Brian

Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:20 pm

I would agree that a top notch film would go a long way with the general public, but even with that idea you would have to be very careful. Personaly, I would pick the THE LAST TRAIN TO MEMPHIS book as the guidline and end his story no later then his army induction (maybe sooner) and a soundtrack from the film. The proper casting would be crucial with regards to this film.

Also, at the same time this would be in the theatres we need a complete cd/dvd/book documentary that finally sets the record straight with each componet of this set made available for purchase in a basic package / deluxe package / ultimate package.

If your going to do this, Brian and minkahed then you go all out and do it right, this is`nt as difficult as people try to make it sound but Sony U.S also has to be involved and committed including finacially, are they ready to do it this way, I have my doubts and also have my doubts that the right people are in place to do it RIGHT and I`m not talking Ernst/ Roger here!! Good day gentleman!

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:57 pm

'I Am An Elvis Fan' drops from 137 to 186 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts for w/e 25th August, 2012.

Brian

Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:00 am

Brian Quinn wrote:'I Am An Elvis Fan' drops from 137 to 186 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts for w/e 25th August, 2012.

Brian
And it drops altogether from the BB200, as of this week.
In the meantime, here's how Elvis' top 7 albums did this week, as per soundscan

These are the tallies for 7 of Elvis' albums, as reported by Soundscan this week.

TITLE.........SOUNDSCAN THIS WEEK.....LAST...TOTAL

I AM AN ELVIS FAN..........2417....3315....5 ,753
ELVIS UNCOVERED.......... 1517....1789.. 15,237
BEST OF LOVE.......... 1449....1628..288,518
ELVIS HEART & SOUL.......... 1278....1250. 575,456
AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN..... 1214....1141..482,769
ELVIS COUNTRY..........1101....1138. .124,248
VIVA LAS VEGAS.......... 948......23...31,557

Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:08 am

Jaime1234 wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:'I Am An Elvis Fan' drops from 137 to 186 on the Billboard Top 200 Album Charts for w/e 25th August, 2012.

Brian
And it drops altogether from the BB200, as of this week.
In the meantime, here's how Elvis' top 7 albums did this week, as per soundscan

These are the tallies for 7 of Elvis' albums, as reported by Soundscan this week.

TITLE.........SOUNDSCAN THIS WEEK.....LAST...TOTAL

I AM AN ELVIS FAN..........2417....3315....5 ,753
ELVIS UNCOVERED.......... 1517....1789.. 15,237
BEST OF LOVE.......... 1449....1628..288,518
ELVIS HEART & SOUL.......... 1278....1250. 575,456
AFTERNOON IN THE GARDEN..... 1214....1141..482,769
ELVIS COUNTRY..........1101....1138. .124,248
VIVA LAS VEGAS.......... 948......23...31,557

Thanks,as always Jaime!
So,these 7 titles alone sold roughly 10k in one week-not bad!
Keep up the good work!

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:29 pm

The following appeared on the Billboard Current Physical Album Chart for w/e 1st September, 2012:

'I Am An Elvis Fan' selling some 2368 units. Total sales to date: 8,040 units.

'Elvis Uncovered' selling some 1915 units. Total sales to date: 17,152 units.

The following album appeared on the Top Soundtrack Album Chart:

'Viva Las Vegas' selling some 948 units. Total sales to date: 32,505 units.

Thde following albums appeared on the Top Catalog Album Chart:

'Heart And Soul' selling some 1,854 units. Total sales to date: 577,829 units.

'Elvis: The Very Best Of Love' selling some 1,766 units. Total sales to date: 290,284 units.

'The Essential Elvis' selling some 1,535 units. Total sales to date: 462,367 units. As this is a 2CD album with playing time over 100 minutes, it counts for double sales under RIAA rules and therefore for their purposes has sold 924,734 units.

'An Afternoon In The Garden' selling some 1,500 units. Total sales to date: 485,391 units.

The following albums appeared on the Catalog Physical Album Chart:

'Elvis Country' (Compilation) selling some 1,212 units. Total sales to date: 125,460 units.

'Elvis Rock' selling some 979 units. Total sales to date: 178,734 units.

'Elvis Inspirational' selling some 971 units. Total sales to date: 99,302 units.

The following appeared on the Billboard Seasonal Album Chart:

'Elvis Christmas' selling some 30 units. Total sales to date: 599,703 units.

'Elvis Christmas Duets' selling some 29 units. Total sales to date: 490,291 units.

Brian

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:49 pm

minkahed wrote:there really is no market for Elvis at retail anymore

over 15,000 in sales this last week for the majority of older titles but there is no market for elvis :shock:

maybe it`s time for you to move on to another board because your obviously not a fan

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:28 pm

this week his biggest seller seems to have been the one that sold next to the most last week, namely Elvis uncovered, but once the results are in, I shall post them here and reconfirm.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:08 pm

sweetangeline wrote:

over 15,000 in sales this last week for the majority of older titles but there is no market for elvis :shock:

maybe it`s time for you to move on to another board because your obviously not a fan

ha ha ... oh stop it, your makin' it work !

15,000 sales in a country that has a population of almost 400 million, yeh, Elvis is booming in cd sales.

I'm sorry, what Elvis title is even in our Top 100 again ?

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:48 pm

minkahed wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

ha ha ... oh stop it, your makin' it work !

15,000 sales in a country that has a population of almost 400 million, yeh, Elvis is booming in cd sales.

Elvis's cd sales are not booming, far from it, but alongside the 15k sales, there were probably around another 5-10k sold that didn't chart... not too bad.

By the way, USA's population is estimated to be 314 million, 309million more than Scotland, yet per head of population, we are considered considerably more pretty!!! It can be a curse at times too though, because we are an attractive breed, we're thought of as dumb??

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:16 pm

daylon wrote:Elvis's cd sales are not booming, far from it, but alongside the 15k sales, there were probably around another 5-10k sold that didn't chart... not too bad.

exactly, for a guy who has passed away 35 yrs ago I can tell you that the sony people in the good ole U.S.A are not sitting around complaining about those numbers, in fact quite the opposite especially in this day and age with cd sales dwindling. Minkahed got this idea in his head that elvis has to be sitting in the top 100 or higher for there to be an existing market for elvis, duh!!

[quote="minkahed"]ha ha ... oh stop it, your makin' it work !

funny I don`t remember anyone at anytime suggesting that elvis sales are booming, but I will give you credit because your very good at changing peoples words around to fit your own needs, there is medication for that!! :D

Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:'The Essential Elvis' ...Total sales to date: 924,734 units.

'An Afternoon In The Garden' ...Total sales to date: 485,391 units.

'Elvis Christmas Duets' ...Total sales to date: 490,291 units.

We have some more presentations to look forward to for maybe August 2013!

PLATINUM... The Essential ELVIS PRESLEY >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Essent ... is_Presley
GOLD.......... An Afternoon In The Garden >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Afternoon_in_the_Garden
GOLD.......... Christmas Duets >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_Duets