Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:21 am

I do like Iron Man as a character, and Tony Stark -- there are shades of Batman and the Rocket Man there, and it works, I think. But he's not my favourite superhero. The Mandarin is the main villain in Iron Man 3 -- Ben Kingsley has been cast here. I understand that Andy Lau was approached for a major role, but declined -- he would have been a great addition to the film.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:27 am

So Hollywood is once again casting non-Chinese as Chinese. Reminds me of Mr. Wong, Charlie chan, Fu Manchu etc.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 am

Iron Sky..a silly but fun movie

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:26 am

jinjoe wrote:Iron Sky..a silly but fun movie

I gave Iron Sky 30 minutes of my time but had to turn it off,it wasnt for me,thought "The Help" was a fabulous film

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm

keninlincs wrote:
jinjoe wrote:Iron Sky..a silly but fun movie

I gave Iron Sky 30 minutes of my time but had to turn it off,it wasnt for me,thought "The Help" was a fabulous film



I got bored watching iron sky too !

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:49 am

I haven't seen Iron Sky, and don't think it looks particularly good -- so I'm not surprised by some of the comments on it. But I'll surely see it when I can

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:42 am

An Amsterdam tale & Beach party.
If you think Elvis films are bad, watch Beach party. Compared to that movie, even Harum scarum is Oscar material!

(I decided to start watching those hundreds of DVD's I bought over the years but never watched. Next in line are 2 Austin Meyers movies)

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:14 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:(I decided to start watching those hundreds of DVD's I bought over the years but never watched. Next in line are 2 Austin Meyers movies)


and I thought I was the only one doing that. :lol:

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Beach Party is certainly weak, although its sequel, Muscle Beach Party, featured an early cameo from Stevie Wonder along with Chester Yorton and Larry Scott in bit parts.

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 am

rocknroller wrote:
Rob wrote:The Help.



Great movie !!!


Agree, it`s a great movie, but I must admit that it didn`t touch me quite as much as I thought it would have.

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:16 am

I just got to watch "A star is born" for the first time.....The Barbara Streisand version, and it was great. I`ve been searching for a DVD for a long time, and suddenly it was there....only one copy in stuck, so I was lucky at last :D

While watching it, I couldn`t help imagining Elvis doing the Kris Kristofferson part......I think Kris Kristofferson played the role really, really well and I actually have my doubts if Elvis would have done just as great. :? , but then again, it just might have been a great one for him at the time........we`ll never know.

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:26 am

elvisa wrote:I just got to watch "A star is born" for the first time.....The Barbara Streisand version, and it was great. I`ve been searching for a DVD for a long time, and suddenly it was there....only one copy in stuck, so I was lucky at last :D

While watching it, I couldn`t help imagining Elvis doing the Kris Kristofferson part......I think Kris Kristofferson played the role really, really well and I actually have my doubts if Elvis would have done just as great. :? , but then again, it just might have been a great one for him at the time........we`ll never know.


Yes. "A Star Is Born" would be the most recent one I watched start to finish, but it was the Judy Garland version. Absolutely fantastic film!

It's hard to imagine any male actor really wanting the "Norman Maine" part after that, unless there was a gender flip. In any event, it was quite moving.

Wish there was a film out in the theaters that I'd really, really like to see, so I can "get back on the horse," as the saying goes. Something compelling enough to get me in a theater. Doesn't seem to be anything just now.

rjm

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 pm

greystoke wrote:In the cinema over the past few weeks, I've seen Dark Shadows, The Raid, Prometheus, Men in Black 3, How I Spent My Summer Vacation (a.k.a. Get the Gringo), The Avengers for a second time and probably one or two others that aren't springing to mind.

Dark Shadows was weak and wholly anemic. Far from Tim Burton's best, although boasting all of his hallmarks. But a damp squib that's limp and uninteresting in spite of good set design and an apparent love of the source material on Burton and Depp's parts.

The Raid is quite terrific -- probably the best martial arts/action film of this pedigree since Tony Jaa came on the scene with Ong Bak. The plot is simple and straightforward, with a few turns for good measure in a knock down, drag out affair about a S.W.A.T. team of cops who enter a heavily guarded apartment and fight their way to the boss on the top floor. Shades of Game of Death abound, but to zero detriment.

Prometheus left me quite underwhelmed -- it's a stunning looking film, with an intriguing premise in a story that's a prequel to Alien but was also made to stand alone. But Ridley Scott is unable to do enough with a narrative that loses its direction in spite of occasionally splendid moments. And with underdeveloped characters and plot that disintegrates towards a quite shambolic denouement, the film feels a bit pointless come the final act. Michael Fassbender is splendid here, however -- he is absolutely one of the hottest and most interesting actors of the past year and of the moment.

Men in Black 3 is uneven, but quite good fun and certainly diverting. It's streets ahead of the second film in the series but not quite as cohesive or involving as the first. Tommy Lee Jones looks very tired here, but it's great to see Will Smith back on screen, whilst Josh Brolin really stands out playing the younger version of Jones' agent K. The time travel element adds some intrigue, but I felt as though some creativity was amiss and better advantage wasn't taken of the era. But it's a fun ride and one worth taking.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation finds Mel Gibson on splendid form in a hard-hitting and highly amusing action/thriller that's akin to Payback, with elements of film noir and shades of Peckinpah. Here, Gibson's "Driver" is incarcerated in a Mexican prison after just making it across the border with the loot from an armed robbery. But this is no ordinary prison; it's a community unto itself and soon Driver learns the ropes and finds out who to trust and who he should kill. Gibson and director Adrian Grunberg wrote the screenplay and it doesn't miss a trick until an over-elaborate final act. But that doesn't detract from a strong movie and an on-form Mel Gibson under assured direction.

How I Spent My Summer is my pick of this lot, great movie..and great review's also greystoke.

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:19 pm

The Crazies (Timothy Olyphant)

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:54 am

Arnold is 65 today , gonna be watchin his films all evening......get to da choppah ! 8)

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:13 pm

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:Arnold is 65 today , gonna be watchin his films all evening......get to da choppah ! 8)


It's good to have Arnold back in Hollywood and looking well at 65. The new Blu-ray release of Total Recall is fantastic -- absolutely worthy of a double-dip over the previous release. The picture quality is terrific.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:06 am

Went to see the new batman movie & ted in the cinema tonight.ted was sooooooooo funny loved it.batman was good a bit overly long dragged for me in the middle but had a fantastic ending.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:30 am

I thought The Dark Knight Rises was terrific -- a great finale to the trilogy. It was emotionally powerful, intense and boasts some awesome action and major set-pieces. I found the tone to be consistent throughout, if a bit choppy the first hour -- and, the occasional plot hole aside, most everything worked well, in my opinion. I thought Tom Hardy was formidable as Bane and that Bale found new depths as Wayne and Batman, whilst Anne Hathaway was very refreshing and most welcome as Selina Kyle. It's awesome in IMAX.

I haven't seen Ted, yet. Hope to this week, though. It looks very funny.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:49 am

greystoke wrote:I thought The Dark Knight Rises was terrific -- a great finale to the trilogy. It was emotionally powerful, intense and boasts some awesome action and major set-pieces. I found the tone to be consistent throughout, if a bit choppy the first hour -- and, the occasional plot hole aside, most everything worked well, in my opinion. I thought Tom Hardy was formidable as Bane and that Bale found new depths as Wayne and Batman, whilst Anne Hathaway was very refreshing and most welcome as Selina Kyle. It's awesome in IMAX.

I haven't seen Ted, yet. Hope to this week, though. It looks very funny.



Tom hardy is terrific as bale and Anne Hathaway again your right is very refreshing in her role.i have always loved bale as batman so that was always a winner for me.again my only fault is the movie is to long ! the dark night as much as i loved the movie i thought the same.why do modern film makers feel the need to make movies 2 and half hours long when 2 hours is enough ! classic movies like the shawshank Redemption, the green mile keep you hooked for 2 and a half to 3 hours, action movies don't need to be this long.i thought pirates of the caribbean movies suffered from being overly long too.just my opinion.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:17 pm

I didn't find the duration of The Dark Knight Rises to be an issue, but I do agree with you regarding the length of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Their plots were much thinner, and occasionally re-trod the same ground or got lost in too many threads. I'm only fond of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, though -- Curse of the Black Pearl. Although, I've yet to see the most recent entry.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:26 pm

greystoke wrote:I didn't find the duration of The Dark Knight Rises to be an issue, but I do agree with you regarding the length of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Their plots were much thinner, and occasionally re-trod the same ground or got lost in too many threads. I'm only fond of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, though -- Curse of the Black Pearl. Although, I've yet to see the most recent entry.

Me too. Agree with you about the first POTC movie. Somebody recently told me the fourth installment was rather crappy.

The german synchronisation of "The Dark Knight Rises" is reportedly rather bad, especially for the Bane character. A friend of mine told me there were moans and groans all over the cinema when his character showed up on the big screen. Really sad.

Re: last movie you watched

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:52 pm

greystoke wrote:I didn't find the duration of The Dark Knight Rises to be an issue, but I do agree with you regarding the length of the Pirates of the Caribbean films. Their plots were much thinner, and occasionally re-trod the same ground or got lost in too many threads. I'm only fond of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, though -- Curse of the Black Pearl. Although, I've yet to see the most recent entry.



The first one is the best by a long way.the recent one starts off great then loses its self.

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 am

Original sin featuring Antonio Banderas & Angelina Jolie. A very boring movie.

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Scent of a Woman

Al Pacino won an Oscar for Best Actor for his outstanding performance as Lt. Col. Frank Slade.

"If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place!"

Image

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Cop Land