Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:34 am

frus75 wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
frus75 wrote:
Mike DK wrote:Based on the other Retro audio versions that I have heard the sound will most likely be too bright for my taste. And yes, they are all sourced from the complete masters set. If my understanding is correct they were transferred to tape, run through tupe equipment and the result = retro audio.


A bit too bright indeed.




Hey Frus75 can I ask what you mean by 'too bright'. What is it that you're hearing that I'm not.

thanks


Too much treble.







Thanks for replying Frus75. I think there is much more to the Retro remasters than an an increase in treble. His versions have a warmth and a clarity of vocals without the tinnyness that comes with ramping up the treble.

I guess it's all down to opinions. Two perfect examples are 'Surrender' and 'Stuck on you' which have never sounded as good as on the Retro remasters. Whether you like them or not is down to personal taste, but if you do an A-B comparison with FTD, one thing you won't hear is any discernible increase in treble.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 am

mike edwards66 wrote:Thanks for replying Frus75. I think there is much more to the Retro remasters than an an increase in treble. His versions have a warmth and a clarity of vocals without the tinnyness that comes with ramping up the treble.

I guess it's all down to opinions. Two perfect examples are 'Surrender' and 'Stuck on you' which have never sounded as good as on the Retro remasters. Whether you like them or not is down to personal taste, but if you do an A-B comparison with FTD, one thing you won't hear is any discernible increase in treble.

Retro has stated that he dubs the Sony CDs down to tape, then "remasters" this tape back to digital again by running it through some tube equipment. I don't see how adding an analog tape generation into a chain, dubbed onto using an already mastered digital CD source improves over the original CD. It just adds noise and degredation into the end result, even if only subtle.

Also, it would seem that FTD is not the source for those songs, but rather the Complete Masters. Any comparisons should be done there.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:48 pm

Claus wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Many people don't like to hear much treble or, the high end. The original mix of these songs on LP was atrocious. The Japanese 24bit master from a few years ago was a step in the right direction and many applauded that release on this board. But, some did not like it as they seem to prefer the effect of a pair of thick curtains over their speakers or something! :o


The original mixes are fine, imo. How much treble one prefers is subjective. To me, too much treble makes the sound artificial, like trying to reveal detail that's not there in the first place.


If you go back and play the original 'Boulevard' LP record album, the muddiness of the sound is dreadful, probably caused, in part, by too much instrumentation and overdubbing. This was even noted in the original review by Jerry Hopkins in "Elvis Monthly" at the time (1976). The 'top end' is virtually non existent. If you compare this to the Japanese 24bit master, the clarity and sharpness is much better and probably how it should have been all along, This is still the go to release.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:33 pm

Have to agree with Tony, i was always a bit disappointed on the sound of the original 'Boulevard' LP , it always sounded like u had put a huge sock over your speakers, must admit i think i need to compare them again with the CM Set, have they improved much ?

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm

I don't know as I didn't buy the 'complete' masters set, knowing that all this material is out already, there is a 'stand alone' CD of the "Boulevard" album, it will be available on FTD at some point AND I am quite happy with the lovely clear Japanese version.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Japanese version rules, until FTD handles it properly.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Tony.. wrote:I don't know as I didn't buy the 'complete' masters set, knowing that all this material is out already, there is a 'stand alone' CD of the "Boulevard" album, it will be available on FTD at some point AND I am quite happy with the lovely clear Japanese version.

I recently purchased the 2009 remastered edition of FEPB and didn't notice a significant improvement in sound quality over the original LP's mastering.

I would like to add one other thing... in terms of RETRO's work to attempt to enhance the sound of the Complete Masters recordings, I think it's great as I have now heard several "enhanced recordings" that he has done. However, I believe that this type of effort should not be one for financial gain IMHO... it's somewhat troubling that it seems he posted several examples of his work to gauge interest and is now attempting to sell these copied recordings. I understand bootleg recordings have been on the market for years and Elvis' music is regurgitated daily in one form or another... but these are nothing more than a product of someone's personal hobby... if you want to share them with people that's great... I also agree with Moody Blue's comment and attempting to sell them IMO is just plain wrong.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi,
I wrote before, i'm not behind this release.
Traded these tracks for something i wanted for à long time in my collection.
I knew they would release it, i sincerely wish them much succes with it.

Greetz

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:21 pm

retroaudio wrote:Hi,
I wrote before, i'm not behind this release.
Traded these tracks for something i wanted for à long time in my collection.
I knew they would release it, i sincerely wish them much succes with it.

Greetz


Any chance you could upload a sample for one of the songs?
Cover says vol1......will they release Stax tracks later on?

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:32 pm

elvisjock wrote:Japanese version rules, until FTD handles it properly.


Well, that would mean no improvement on FTD then as they would probably use the 2007 'remasters', which the imaginatively named 'elvis-fan' has just posted that there is no significant improvement over the LP 'masters'. So, as is the case with "GI Blues", "Love letters from Elvis", "Raised on rock" and "Elvis now" FTD's, one would have to hang on to the Japanese releases for better sound on the masters.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:53 pm

KingElvis wrote:
Any chance you could upload a sample for one of the songs?
Cover says vol1......will they release Stax tracks later on?


That's not up to me, the stax tracks didn't left the building yet, if i get a nice proposal ........ vol.2 could be possible with that. but that's not up to me either

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:56 pm

Matthew wrote:Retro has stated that he dubs the Sony CDs down to tape, then "remasters" this tape back to digital again by running it through some tube equipment. I don't see how adding an analog tape generation into a chain, dubbed onto using an already mastered digital CD source improves over the original CD. It just adds noise and degredation into the end result, even if only subtle.

Also, it would seem that FTD is not the source for those songs, but rather the Complete Masters. Any comparisons should be done there.

Matthew , did you heard my work? or is your opinion based on only your theory,

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:27 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Claus wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Many people don't like to hear much treble or, the high end. The original mix of these songs on LP was atrocious. The Japanese 24bit master from a few years ago was a step in the right direction and many applauded that release on this board. But, some did not like it as they seem to prefer the effect of a pair of thick curtains over their speakers or something! :o


The original mixes are fine, imo. How much treble one prefers is subjective. To me, too much treble makes the sound artificial, like trying to reveal detail that's not there in the first place.


If you go back and play the original 'Boulevard' LP record album, the muddiness of the sound is dreadful, probably caused, in part, by too much instrumentation and overdubbing. This was even noted in the original review by Jerry Hopkins in "Elvis Monthly" at the time (1976). The 'top end' is virtually non existent. If you compare this to the Japanese 24bit master, the clarity and sharpness is much better and probably how it should have been all along, This is still the go to release.







Hi Buddy. It's not that important, but it wasn't Jerry Hopkins it was W.A. Harbinson who gave the very negative review in the Monthly. From memory he signed off with something like 'thanks but no thanks' in response to the Elvis written message on the back cover.

If you haven't heard Retro's work you are missing out on some of the best sounding Elvis recordings out there.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:44 pm

Tony.. wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Japanese version rules, until FTD handles it properly.


Well, that would mean no improvement on FTD then as they would probably use the 2007 'remasters', which the imaginatively named 'elvis-fan' has just posted that there is no significant improvement over the LP 'masters'. So, as is the case with "GI Blues", "Love letters from Elvis", "Raised on rock" and "Elvis now" FTD's, one would have to hang on to the Japanese releases for better sound on the masters.


My hope would be that FTD goes back to the multis and starts over.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:54 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Claus wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Many people don't like to hear much treble or, the high end. The original mix of these songs on LP was atrocious. The Japanese 24bit master from a few years ago was a step in the right direction and many applauded that release on this board. But, some did not like it as they seem to prefer the effect of a pair of thick curtains over their speakers or something! :o


The original mixes are fine, imo. How much treble one prefers is subjective. To me, too much treble makes the sound artificial, like trying to reveal detail that's not there in the first place.


If you go back and play the original 'Boulevard' LP record album, the muddiness of the sound is dreadful, probably caused, in part, by too much instrumentation and overdubbing. This was even noted in the original review by Jerry Hopkins in "Elvis Monthly" at the time (1976). The 'top end' is virtually non existent. If you compare this to the Japanese 24bit master, the clarity and sharpness is much better and probably how it should have been all along, This is still the go to release.







Hi Buddy. It's not that important, but it wasn't Jerry Hopkins it was W.A. Harbinson who gave the very negative review in the Monthly. From memory he signed off with something like 'thanks but no thanks' in response to the Elvis written message on the back cover.

If you haven't heard Retro's work you are missing out on some of the best sounding Elvis recordings out there.


Oh yes, you are right, it was WA Harbinson. It's a long time since I read that review but I remember it was quite 'down'. I'm not really wanting to hear anything from 'retroaudio' as, to me, it's just adding slightly different sounding variations on the same material again of songs we already have hundreds of times.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:57 pm

The only Japanese/OBI album issue I have in my collection is the "Today" album since FTD's version of the Today album masters was not up to par. (volume was way too low).However, I'm quite happy with all the other FTD masters from other albums (ROR, "Good Times, LLFE, TTWII, etc...)

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Tony.. wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Claus wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
Oh yes, you are right, it was WA Harbinson. It's a long time since I read that review but I remember it was quite 'down'. I'm not really wanting to hear anything from 'retroaudio' as, to me, it's just adding slightly different sounding variations on the same material again of songs we already have hundreds of times.




Well it's your choice, but what have you got to lose by listening. I've been an Elvis fan forever and I thought like you...untill I heard them.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:40 pm

Tony.. wrote:Well, that would mean no improvement on FTD then as they would probably use the 2007 'remasters', which the imaginatively named 'elvis-fan' has just posted that there is no significant improvement over the LP 'masters'. So, as is the case with "GI Blues", "Love letters from Elvis", "Raised on rock" and "Elvis now" FTD's, one would have to hang on to the Japanese releases for better sound on the masters.

Just to clarify, I was speaking of only the FEPB 2009 CD only as this album in particular has always had poor sound. It's unfortunate they couldn't come up with sound comparable to HURT as heard on the 1985 CD Always On My Mind. I'm not sure if that's a different mix or just remastered...

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:45 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:The only Japanese/OBI album issue I have in my collection is the "Today" album since FTD's version of the Today album masters was not up to par. (volume was way too low).However, I'm quite happy with all the other FTD masters from other albums (ROR, "Good Times, LLFE, TTWII, etc...)


The volume is not low on the masters. The other tracks on disc 1 are way too loud which caused distortion on several tracks due to digital clipping and the disc wasn't level-matched, which was very unfortunate.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Claus wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:The only Japanese/OBI album issue I have in my collection is the "Today" album since FTD's version of the Today album masters was not up to par. (volume was way too low).However, I'm quite happy with all the other FTD masters from other albums (ROR, "Good Times, LLFE, TTWII, etc...)


The volume is not low on the masters. The other tracks on disc 1 are way too loud which caused distortion on several tracks due to digital clipping and the disc wasn't level-matched, which was very unfortunate.



One of Miss Reidel's worst jobs.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:55 pm

The Memphis 1974 show was even worse and the mixing wasn't great either. The Elvis Today masters sounds fine on the FTD and I actually prefer them to the 2007 Anesini remasters.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:49 pm

Played this today and sound is great....problem is so are the masters on releases like "Complete masters" box set.
Expecting to hear the difference when I compare this with the ones from the mentioned set on 1 vs 1 basic later on......or my favorite versions of MB and FEPBMT....the recent jap 24bit/shm releases.
Most fans will most likely think they already have these songs in great quality so no need to bother with this one.
Artwork is nice but they should put more effort to the back cover.........like master take number and playing time for each track....the cover are made perfectly for this with boxes ready.

Image
Last edited by KingElvis on Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:56 pm

http://hotfile.com/dl/166257635/e65195a ... s.rar.html

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ep1977 wrote:THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS (1-CD DELUXE 2 WING DIGIPACK ELVIS PRESLEY AUDIOPHILE EDITION)

1. Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall -
2. She Thinks I Still Care -
3. The Last Farewell -
4. Solitaire -
5. Moody Blue -
6. I''ll Never Fall In Love Again -
7. For The Heart
8. Hurt -
9. Danny Boy -
10. Never Again -
11. Love Coming Down -
12. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain -
13. It's Easy For You -
14. Way Down -
15. Pledging My Love -
16. He''ll Have To Go


Has Retro Audio been able to make Elvis' voice strong, clear and in key?


i thought he was singing great....was he really of key..??? doc??

Re: THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS

Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:48 pm

ep2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ep1977 wrote:THE GRACELAND 1976 MASTERS (1-CD DELUXE 2 WING DIGIPACK ELVIS PRESLEY AUDIOPHILE EDITION)

1. Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall -
2. She Thinks I Still Care -
3. The Last Farewell -
4. Solitaire -
5. Moody Blue -
6. I''ll Never Fall In Love Again -
7. For The Heart
8. Hurt -
9. Danny Boy -
10. Never Again -
11. Love Coming Down -
12. Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain -
13. It's Easy For You -
14. Way Down -
15. Pledging My Love -
16. He''ll Have To Go


Has Retro Audio been able to make Elvis' voice strong, clear and in key?


i thought he was singing great....was he really of key..??? doc??


In the main he is in tune. The issues come with the long notes that he doesn't appear to have the strength to hold and so they waver considerably in pitch.