Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In September

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:51 am

It appears the MSG '72 box set is a reality, according to a German fan site.

I have tried to translate the page for all of you who dig '70s Elvis like I do!

BREAKING NEWS: PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET
Recorded at Madison Square Garden: 40th Anniversary Edition
28 September 2012

120719_MSG cover mock-up.JPG

Elvis was the first artist to sell out four straight shows at Madison Square Garden.

It was his first-ever live appearance in New York, except for performing on TV shows in 1956-57.

John Lennon [sic], George Harrison, Bob Dylan [sic], David Bowie, Paul SImon and many other celebrities were said to have attended. And now it all comes back:

2 CDs + DVD + 48-page booklet with many unpublished photos, plus liner notes by Lenny Kaye, guitarist for the Patti Smith Group, on the June 10, 1972 afternnon show that he saw as a young writer for Rolling Stone.

720610_Thats All Right_NY_AS.JPG

DISC 1 & 2: Both shows are included here: Afternoon and Evening, June 10, 1972 - remix by Michael Brauer (Coldplay, John Mayer, Leonard Cohen).

DVD: A 4o-minute DVD with previously-unreleased material! Including the historic MSG press conference, plus, for the first time EVER, live performance material from the show.

While the U.S. version will be released on October 2, 2012, the box and CD sets will be issued in Germany on September 28.

Source: RCA
http://elvis-memories.de/memories/?p=15454

The new mixes will likely have a very bright, modern sound, courtesy of Michael Brauer.

The DVD footage will be most interesting indeed!

720609_Hilton press conference.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Prince From Another Planet --> MSG Set Due Out In Septem

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:52 am

i agree that this Breaking news needed it's own Topic! Thanks doc ::rocks

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:53 am

phpBB [video]

Here is a video on youtube with the translated text.... THis is a release I am looking forward too, especially the DVD!!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:55 am

david57 wrote:Here is a video on youtube with the translated text...

Mine is better! :D

::rocks

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
david57 wrote:Here is a video on youtube with the translated text...

Mine is better! :D

::rocks

i agree but i only putted this on youtube minutes after i saw it in the topic, I letted google chrome translate it and putted it on youtube.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:57 am

I hope the mix improves the evening show to something in the quality of the afternoon show. If it does, we'll be very happy.

I'm guessing the show materials on the DVD will be the best of the amateur videos we've seen. It could be, though, that they have something we've never seen.

This has been a great week to be an Elvis fan!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:59 am

Finally! I've been awaiting these concerts remixed and remastered for years! Great news folks! :)

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:01 am

Certainly a wish we were all hoping would come true one day. Thank goodness Sony didn't drop the ball on this one.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:04 am

This week has been so great to be a elvis fan first an unreleased live performance and now the news of this release I am defintley excited!!!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:04 am

Like I said in the other thread, I hope they struck a deal with Jonas Mekas for his 16mm excellent footage of MSG:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/bestjonas.jpg/

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:07 am

:D celebrating with MSG shots!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:11 am

Simon1 wrote:Like I said in the other thread, I hope they struck a deal with Jonas Mekas for his 16mm excellent footage of MSG:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/bestjonas.jpg/

They probably did, i heard about this footage getting released some time this year by a very good source, So it might aswell be the Sony Label

''Mine source said that boxcar would release the complete Hampton Roads, This Footage & The Complete Virgina Concert & Rehearsals, Later this year''

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 am

Wow, what a great Elvis year this is turning out to be! Can't wait to hear a new mix of the evening show. Thanks for the post and translation, Doc.

Troy

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 am

Love the Legacy releases and of course FTD but I am glad this will be a mainstream release.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 am

Interesting.
The latest Venus release was a rip off in terms of the evening show.
(AS was worth releasing)

This sounds like a must have.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 am

maybe the evening show release will be at correct speed. it runs a hair too fast

Scott Ray

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 am

I know what i'll be getting for my 48th Birthday 10/12/2012 PFAP!

Scott Ray

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:26 am

WOW, this is fantastic news, I cannot wait for this release. Finally the MSG shows are getting a fantastic deluxe package they truly deserve, these shows are one of the reasons I became such an avid Elvis fan. I'm certain the shows are gonna sound excellent remixed and i'm so excited about the DVD, I hope we have some pro-shot footage during one of the shows. At the very least I hope the press conference is complete and in the best possible picture quality, the release date can't come soon enough! :D

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:27 am

Now that the Brauer name is out there, here's an interesting Twitter post from him.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:28 am

Doc, when you say the mix will most likely be very bright and modern, do you think that is a good thing, or not?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:37 am

Great news......but from what Ive heard ealier the master tapes of the evening show is lost so its
very limited what they can do with the sound???
Hopefully I`m wrong :?: :|

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:41 am

L Ray wrote:Doc, when you say the mix will most likely be very bright and modern, do you think that is a good thing, or not?

It's 2012.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:47 am

Fantastic! I can't hardly wait!

Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 am

Excellent news and the kind of extensive and exhaustive package that should really be the norm for official Elvis Presley product.

As others have noted, I doubt 40 minutes of performance footage will be included on the DVD section. Still, even if we only get half that amount - if mastered from the original elements and matched up with remixed multi-track audio, it could prove a standard setter for future creative releases. Let's hope so.

On a slightly negative note; does anyone else think that the proposed cover photograph/artwork chosen, shows Elvis in a rather unfavourable light - in that he appears heavier than he actually was during the period?

Such a prestigious release should really do it's best not to invite the tiresome ridicule of the "70's Elvis" image and present the era in as positive a light as possible.
This cover [as regal-looking as it is] misses the mark somewhat, IMO.

Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:08 am

Doc thank you alot for translating this for us.

Soon as someone has info on where to pre order here in the states please share with us.

This is going to be a stellar release so thankful this got the treatment it deserves on the main label.