Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Tue May 01, 2012 12:59 am

greystoke wrote:At the cinema: it was great to see Titanic on the big screen again, although the 3D - as with The Phantom Menace - was practically non-existent. But such a well crafted epic doesn't need the gimmick of 3D because it holds up well some 15 years after its first release -- great special effects and two wonderful lead performances from Kate Winslet and Leonard DiCaprio still stand out. Although the gimmick of 3D combined with the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic certainly helped to secure strong box office for a re-release.

Cabin in the Woods has been touted as a revolutionary horror movie, with plot turns best kept untold to those who haven't seen the film. For me, it wasn't wholly successful, being too heavy-handed and lacking in tension and real thrills as a concept looms to large over the narrative. Recommended to horror fans, of which I am certainly one; but it missed the mark, I.M.O.

The Avengers lived up to expectations, bringing together a host of Marvel's finest and tying together plot threads from Iron Man and Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America. The action and comedy is well measured and kudos must go to Joss Whedon's accomplished job of directing such a huge venture. The special effects and C.G.I. is second to none throughout and that's matched by terrific performances from all of the major players, especially Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man and Mark Ruffalo as the best Bruce Banner/Hulk since Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno -- Lou provides the Hulk's voice here, in fact. And this character steals the show, I.M.O., doing what one expects of the Hulk -- smash stuff! Highly recommended. And I can't wait for the next round of Marvel's films, not least of all The Amazing Spider-Man.
Ummmm... errrr... is this thread about movies I watched at the cinema? If so, I apologize.

Well I've actually seen "The Cabin In The Woods" too and wasn't that impressed, although I had a few good laughs in the final thirty minutes.

I was never a fan of the Marvel stuff (SORRY!) so I don't care that much for "The Avengers" - at least the Blu-ray release date is already set at amazon.de: September 30, 2012... :roll:

I've been told by a friend of mine that the 3D stuff is completely unnecessary. Love "Titanic" too!

greystoke, do you think there will ever be a chance that "Dark Star" gets a proper treatment in the future? It's one of my favorite films and I'd like to see it in the best possible quality (I know the whole thing cost about sixty-thousand dollars but there must be a way...) - but please no reworking (new special effects etc.)!

Re: last movie you watched

Tue May 01, 2012 2:04 am

I'm not a huge superhero film fan only the first two Sam Rami Spiderman and the first Iron Man floated my boat as far as marvel characters are concerned.Hated Iron Man 2,disliked Thor and thought Captain America was ok but I agree with greystoke that Avengers Assemble lives up to the hype.The 3D special effects are superb,the action is exciting and there are laugh out loud moments mainly involving Tony Stark/Iron Man but even Thor comes up with a quick witty retort and The Hulk comes up with the funniest moment of all.All the major players are good and as greystoke says Mark Ruffalo is superb as Bruce Banner/Hulk and does indeed steal the show.Thoroughly enjoyable.

norrie

Re: last movie you watched

Tue May 01, 2012 2:24 am

    This thread is for any movies at all, luckyjackson1. Dark Star is available on Blu-ray and has gotten some good reviews, but it's not one that I own, so can't comment much further.

    I liked Sam Raimi's first Spider-Man film, norrie. But his second Spidey movie is, for my money, one of the best superhero/comic book films ever made. It's a superb movie, with Spider-Man (as a character) much improved on from the first, whilst Alfred Molina excellent as Doctor Octopus. The third was very uneven, unfortunately. Some parts were superb, but others were woeful and really sunk the picture. It's such a shame the series that starred Nicholas Hammond has yet to make it to DVD. It's great fun but has been left in the lurch.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Tue May 01, 2012 2:59 am

    Yes the second Spiderman was the best,Alfred Molina gave real depth to the Doctor Octopus character you feel a bit of sympathy to his predicament.The subway train scene is one of the best action scenes i've seen.

    norrie

    Re: last movie you watched

    Wed May 02, 2012 7:17 am

    greystoke wrote: The third was very uneven, unfortunately. Some parts were superb, but others were woeful and really sunk the picture.


    I think the problem with that movie was that they tried to cram 3 or 4 villains and too much material into the film.
    Had they just had one villain and concentrated on him it probably would have been a better movie.

    Putting too many villains in Superhero movies has been a problem since Batman Returns.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Wed May 09, 2012 3:35 am

    On Sunday we watched a special cinema screening of Back To The Future. Took me back in time (boom boom).

    Re: last movie you watched

    Wed May 09, 2012 10:29 pm

    Matthew wrote:On Sunday we watched a special cinema screening of Back To The Future. Took me back in time (boom boom).


    Back to the Future remains an all-time favourite of mine and it's great to see on the big screen -- I saw it in November and also a few years ago when the trilogy was shown over consecutive days. Marvellous movie-making. The Blu-ray is top-notch, incidentally.

    The past week, or so, I've seen the Avengers and Safe at the cinema. The Avengers is fantastic -- epic, in fact. Boasting stunning effects behind a well-written story that brings together some of Marvel's finest and unleashes a new Hulk who steals the show.

    Safe is very good. It's sharp, also well-written and finds Jason Statham on ace form in a role that offers a few new angles for him. It is a touch convoluted, however, and ties together too neatly towards the end. But that's no great drawback for one of the best pure action films of the past few years.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Wed May 09, 2012 11:46 pm

    The Avengers - Saw it opening night, it was awesome!

    On DVD
    The Darkest Hour - predictable, but entertaining.
    The Descendants - it was okay. Good enough to see once.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Thu May 10, 2012 12:07 am

    elvisrecords.us wrote:The Avengers - Saw it opening night, it was awesome!

    On DVD
    The Darkest Hour - predictable, but entertaining.
    The Descendants - it was okay. Good enough to see once.


    I haven't seen The Darkest Hour, but thought The Descendants was a splendid film.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 pm

    I thought we should revive this thread. Having said that, I have watched precious few films in recent weeks, instead having ridiculously got hooked on boxed sets of trashy TV - although spending 30 hours in the company of Kyle XY was a surprisingly enjoyable and uplifting experience, even if ultimately frustrating in the lack of ending.

    Anyhow, I did get to rewatch Ghost Story, the horror film featuring Fred Astaire, Douglas Fairbanks Jr etc. I loved it when I was a teenager, but this time around I found it to be a disappointing mess. Perhaps the most intriguing aspect is how they got the four aging actors in a film which also includes full frontal nudity and a fair amount of swearing! The script fails to bring the eerieness of the source novel to the screen in a cohesive way, and the acting is little better - Fairbanks is surprisingly awful, although Astaire does well.

    I also saw The Lincoln Lawyer last night, which also seemed to be something of a botched adaptation. I enjoy the Michael Connelly novels I have read, but the film seemed to be too flashy for its own good. I thought Matthew McConaughey was surprisingly charmless in the lead role, having come across quite the opposite as a lawyer in the wonderful Time To Kill a decade or so ago. Ryan Phillippe acquits himself considerably better, but still seemed to be reprising his "spoilt rich kid" roles which saw him launch to stardom in Cruel Intentions. What was intiguing here though was just how much botox Phillippe had had during filming. Someone really should tell him that he has to age at some point, and aging is better than looking like you are made out of plastic.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:35 am

    In the cinema over the past few weeks, I've seen Dark Shadows, The Raid, Prometheus, Men in Black 3, How I Spent My Summer Vacation (a.k.a. Get the Gringo), The Avengers for a second time and probably one or two others that aren't springing to mind.

    Dark Shadows was weak and wholly anemic. Far from Tim Burton's best, although boasting all of his hallmarks. But a damp squib that's limp and uninteresting in spite of good set design and an apparent love of the source material on Burton and Depp's parts.

    The Raid is quite terrific -- probably the best martial arts/action film of this pedigree since Tony Jaa came on the scene with Ong Bak. The plot is simple and straightforward, with a few turns for good measure in a knock down, drag out affair about a S.W.A.T. team of cops who enter a heavily guarded apartment and fight their way to the boss on the top floor. Shades of Game of Death abound, but to zero detriment.

    Prometheus left me quite underwhelmed -- it's a stunning looking film, with an intriguing premise in a story that's a prequel to Alien but was also made to stand alone. But Ridley Scott is unable to do enough with a narrative that loses its direction in spite of occasionally splendid moments. And with underdeveloped characters and plot that disintegrates towards a quite shambolic denouement, the film feels a bit pointless come the final act. Michael Fassbender is splendid here, however -- he is absolutely one of the hottest and most interesting actors of the past year and of the moment.

    Men in Black 3 is uneven, but quite good fun and certainly diverting. It's streets ahead of the second film in the series but not quite as cohesive or involving as the first. Tommy Lee Jones looks very tired here, but it's great to see Will Smith back on screen, whilst Josh Brolin really stands out playing the younger version of Jones' agent K. The time travel element adds some intrigue, but I felt as though some creativity was amiss and better advantage wasn't taken of the era. But it's a fun ride and one worth taking.

    How I Spent My Summer Vacation finds Mel Gibson on splendid form in a hard-hitting and highly amusing action/thriller that's akin to Payback, with elements of film noir and shades of Peckinpah. Here, Gibson's "Driver" is incarcerated in a Mexican prison after just making it across the border with the loot from an armed robbery. But this is no ordinary prison; it's a community unto itself and soon Driver learns the ropes and finds out who to trust and who he should kill. Gibson and director Adrian Grunberg wrote the screenplay and it doesn't miss a trick until an over-elaborate final act. But that doesn't detract from a strong movie and an on-form Mel Gibson under assured direction.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:48 pm

    Cheers for the reviews greystoke.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:59 am

    rocknroller wrote:Cheers for the reviews greystoke.


    No problem at all.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:02 pm

    I'm sure it has been discussed at some point before, but I saw the French-language Canadian film Heartbeats, directed by and starring Xavier Dolan, yesterday. This is a wonderful, fresh, witty and occasionally quite sad movie that sparkles thanks to the wonderful performances (particularly Dolan), brilliant direction and perfectly-honed script. It tells the story of a pair of young friends (a straight woman and a gay man) who both fall and then vie for the same young man, and at the same time their own friendship starts to fall apart. It even manages that rare thing of being sexy without gratuitous nudity or sex. A pure joy of a film, I thought.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:59 am

    The last few films I've seen at the cinema have been Snow White and the Huntsman, The Bad and the Beautiful, Rock of Ages and Jaws.

    Snow White and the Huntsman is a good fantasy that's a bit under-written in places, but finds the desired effect and works a treat through a good story, sound performances and great creativity. Kristen Stewart wouldn't necessarily be my first choice as a Snow White, and despite a few surly moments she acquitted herself well as a strong heroine. Chris Hemsworth was suitably cast as the titular huntsman, and despite a so-so accent was more than capable within every aspect of his character. As the Wicked Queen, Charlize Theron was quite sensational although this is a role that required much evil intentions from the confines of the Queen's chamber. She played this all-out, however, and benefited greatly from occasional moments away from her surroundings and with some marvellous special effects that allowed all manner of evil deeds to be undertaken. The dwarfs, of which I counted eight, found amusing cameos for a number of well-known faces, and although they were a tad lacking in purpose this story isn't of Snow White and the seven dwarfs.

    Vincente Minnelli's The Bad and the Beautiful is still one of Hollywood's best films about the movie business. It's acute and brimming with charm, yet is at moments intense and acerbic with exemplary performances across the board -- perhaps Lana Turner's best and certainly one of Kirk Douglas' finest.

    Rock of Ages comes from a musical I know of, but can't say I'm greatly familiar with. But it seems to be based greatly on Journey's Don't Stop Believing and holds this message true throughout the film. And what we have is a light, well-paced musical that's pouring over with rock songs of a certain vintage that play out with an abundance of verve for the material and the era -- set in 1987, on a version of L.A.'s Sunset Strip. The story revolves around events leading up to Staycee Jaxx's final performance in the Bourbon Room as front man of legendary rock group, Arsenal. Jaxx, played superbly by Tom Cruise, is part Keith Richards, Jim Morrison and Vince Neil -- complete with monkey side-kick! And Cruise can hold a tune, no doubt . . . As can most of the main players here, namely the two young, charismatic leads, Diego Boneta and Julianne Hough. Hough really is quite wonderful in her role and surely has a bright future. And although it was great to see Catherine Zeta-Jones on such terrific form, I thought she was a bit under-used. Less impressive was Russell Brand's wandering accent and a miscast Alec Baldwin as a double-act who manage and run the aforementioned Bourbon Room. And although this wasn't a greatly moving or cinematically rich experience, it's a diverting musical that's appealing and likeable enough. This said, I also expected a few turns and cameos from rock singers and band members from the era, but this wasn't explored enough -- and could have been a nice touch. Whilst some of the character and band names left me a little nonplussed.

    Jaws is still a thrilling picture and an all-time favourite of mine. And next to an engrossing plot, brilliant direction and a legendary score are three central performances that are such a treat. It doesn't get much better than this -- its great to see Jaws back in cinemas.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:19 am

    Went to see rock of ages(loved it) men in black 3 (did not like it, so unfunny)jaws amazing to see it on the big screen.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:51 pm

    The past week, or two, I've seen Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, The Amazing Spider-Man and Ice Age: Continental Drift at the cinema.

    Abraham Lincoln showed much promise in concept, especially under the direction of Timur Bekmambetov, whose Night Watch stands as one of the best - and most creative - vampire films of the past 25 years. But that's almost where this monster mash begins and ends, for other than a suitably physical performance from Benjamin Walker, Bekmambetov goes wholly OTT with outrageous action set-pieces that are folly to the story, which limps regardless. Not that some poignancy and cultural relevance isn't sought -- but every aspect of the film is hammered home and with little working particularly well.

    The Amazing Spider-Man, regardless of being a questionable reboot after the hugely successful Sam Raimi trilogy, had all of the ingredients and better timing than has been appreciated to actually work -- and it does. Perhaps not to the tune of Raimi's first two Spidey pictures, and certainly not Spider-Man 2, but it's far superior to the frustrating Spider-Man 3 and holds its own against most superhero/comic book films of the past decade.

    Not that it offers much new, or that director, Mark Webb, goes where Christopher Nolan did with Batman Begins -- it's typical Spider-Man, with a great central performance by Andrew Garfield and a serviceable story that gathers added poignancy and genuine emotional depth via Garfield's Peter Parker/Spider-Man romance with Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy. Sally Field and Martin Sheen make for a good pairing as aunt May and uncle Ben, Sheen especially -- a natural in the role, as is Field, but she's under-used here as much as Rosemary Harris was overused by Raimi. Especially for comic relief. Here, the overall tone is more grounded and a consequence of that is a less flashy movie than one may expect.

    Less assured is the treatment of Dr. Connors/The Lizard, who never seemed less than sinister nor was the sympathetic character he perhaps should have been -- Connors' change is treated without enough finesse and feels rushed in comparison to great subtlety and wonderful comedy in respect to Parker. The special effects are terrific and kudos goes to James Horner's fine score -- my major gripe with Raimi's first Spider-Man, the character being too much of a CGI creation, oblivious to gravity, resolved here and proving more convincing than all previous incarnations.

    Ice Age: Continental Drift follows the further adventures of Manny, Sid and Diego (voiced by Ray Romano, Jon Leguizamo and Dennis Leary) who are cast adrift from their friends and family as the continents are torn apart. As they float adrift on an iceberg, all manner of obstacles and peril are encountered in this Homeresque odyssey that features brilliant animation, great 3D and wonderful voice acting -- terrific additions to the cast from previous entries in the series are Peter Dinklage as Captain Gutt, Nicki Minaj as Steffi and Jennifer Lopez as Shira. A real treat that may be a touch convoluted in places, but is very funny, hugely creative and is preceded by a very good Simpsons short.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:05 am

    greystoke wrote:
    The Amazing Spider-Man, regardless of being a questionable reboot after the hugely successful Sam Raimi trilogy, had all of the ingredients and better timing than has been appreciated to actually work -- and it does. Perhaps not to the tune of Raimi's first two Spidey pictures, and certainly not Spider-Man 2, but it's far superior to the frustrating Spider-Man 3 and holds its own against most superhero/comic book films of the past decade.

    it offers much new, or that director, Mark Webb, goes where Christopher Nolan did with Batman Begins -- it's typical Spider-Man, with a great central performance by Andrew Garfield and a serviceable story that gathers added poignancy and genuine emotional depth via Garfield's Peter Parker/Spider-Man romance with Emma Stone's Gwen Stacy. Sally Field and Martin Sheen make for a good pairing as aunt May and uncle Ben, Sheen especially -- a natural in the role, as is Field, but she's under-used here as much as Rosemary Harris was overused by Raimi. Especially for comic relief. Here, the overall tone is more grounded and a consequence of that is a less flashy movie than one may expect.


    I agree with your summation.I didn't fancy it much when it was announced there was to be a reboot,thought it was way too soon.The wife and daughter though thought otherwise and dragged me too see it and I thought it was very good.The only slight disagreement I would have with you is about Doc Connors I thought he was portrayed sympathetically,a scientist who genuinely seemed to want to help humanity and not just because it would help him.The Lizard/Doc Connors are as I remember them (him) from the old cartoon (Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade Era !,I know there have been more) with the lab down in the sewers and all that.I thought that the whole origin part would be one big seen it before bore but it's probably told better than Sam Rami's so it held my attention.The 3D works pretty well too in parts.Overall a pretty good superhero movie if you like that sort of thing.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:08 pm

    The Help.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 pm

    Rob wrote:The Help.



    Great movie !!!

    Re: last movie you watched

    Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:58 pm

    Went to see spiderman in 3D loved it ! being a fan of the first 3 i went to see it with no expectation but i thought the 3D effects were amazing.the kid that played spiderman was good and very funny but i do prefere tobey maguire as spidey !!! and emma stone was fantastic.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:26 am

    rocknroller wrote:Went to see spiderman in 3D loved it ! being a fan of the first 3 i went to see it with no expectation but i thought the 3D effects were amazing.the kid that played spiderman was good and very funny but i do prefere tobey maguire as spidey !!! and emma stone was fantastic.


    Andrew Garfield is a fine young actor who has a bright future -- his excellent performance in The Social Network brought much renown, whilst he was ideally cast as Spider-Man. I actually prefer him to Toby Maguire in the role -- although they do bring different aspects to both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. And Emma Stone was fantastic as Gwen Stacy -- her romance with Peter Parker - as opposed to falling for Spider-Man - offering more than most romantic comedies/dramas in recent memory.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:21 am

    greystoke wrote:
    rocknroller wrote:Went to see spiderman in 3D loved it ! being a fan of the first 3 i went to see it with no expectation but i thought the 3D effects were amazing.the kid that played spiderman was good and very funny but i do prefere tobey maguire as spidey !!! and emma stone was fantastic.


    Andrew Garfield is a fine young actor who has a bright future -- his excellent performance in The Social Network brought much renown, whilst he was ideally cast as Spider-Man. I actually prefer him to Toby Maguire in the role -- although they do bring different aspects to both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. And Emma Stone was fantastic as Gwen Stacy -- her romance with Peter Parker - as opposed to falling for Spider-Man - offering more than most romantic comedies/dramas in recent memory.



    I loved The Social Network and andrew was fantastic in it.your right both bring something different to Peter Parker and Spider-Man, but being a big fan of tobys (pleasantville & the cider house rules)he gets my vote,after watching him in his first spider-man movie i just can't picture anyone else in the role he was the way i always imagined the character would be like.but like i said i enjoyed andews version very much.emma stone i love her as an actress her wonderful personality always shine though.her romance with Peter Parker is spot on definitely one of the highlights of the movie ! kirsten dunst never really did it for me in any of the 3 spider-man movies always the weakest link, that said the love triangle between mary Jane,peter and harry osborn was maybe the reason for that it always bored me a little bit.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:00 pm

    rocknroller wrote:
    greystoke wrote:
    rocknroller wrote:Went to see spiderman in 3D loved it ! being a fan of the first 3 i went to see it with no expectation but i thought the 3D effects were amazing.the kid that played spiderman was good and very funny but i do prefere tobey maguire as spidey !!! and emma stone was fantastic.


    Andrew Garfield is a fine young actor who has a bright future -- his excellent performance in The Social Network brought much renown, whilst he was ideally cast as Spider-Man. I actually prefer him to Toby Maguire in the role -- although they do bring different aspects to both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. And Emma Stone was fantastic as Gwen Stacy -- her romance with Peter Parker - as opposed to falling for Spider-Man - offering more than most romantic comedies/dramas in recent memory.



    I loved The Social Network and andrew was fantastic in it.your right both bring something different to Peter Parker and Spider-Man, but being a big fan of tobys (pleasantville & the cider house rules)he gets my vote,after watching him in his first spider-man movie i just can't picture anyone else in the roleĀ  he was the way i always imagined the character would be like.but like i said i enjoyed andews version very much.emma stone i love her as an actress her wonderful personality always shine though.her romance with Peter Parker is spot on definitely one of the highlights of the movie ! kirsten dunst never really did it for me in any of the 3 spider-man movies always the weakest link, that said the love triangle between mary Jane,peter and harry osborn was maybe the reason for that it always bored me a little bit.


    I'm quite fond of Tobey Maguire's acting, too -- Wonder Boys, Seabiscuit and The Ice Storm in particular. It will be good to see him back on screen and working with Ang Lee again in The Life of Pi, whilst The Great Gatsby holds much promise. He's been relatively quiet since Spider-Man 3 but has leant towards producing -- Rock of Ages and Country Strong being two examples. I'm not certain if musicals or musically-themed films are a direction he's going to pursue further, though.

    Re: last movie you watched

    Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:15 am

    greystoke wrote:
    rocknroller wrote:
    greystoke wrote:
    rocknroller wrote:Went to see spiderman in 3D loved it ! being a fan of the first 3 i went to see it with no expectation but i thought the 3D effects were amazing.the kid that played spiderman was good and very funny but i do prefere tobey maguire as spidey !!! and emma stone was fantastic.


    Andrew Garfield is a fine young actor who has a bright future -- his excellent performance in The Social Network brought much renown, whilst he was ideally cast as Spider-Man. I actually prefer him to Toby Maguire in the role -- although they do bring different aspects to both Peter Parker and Spider-Man. And Emma Stone was fantastic as Gwen Stacy -- her romance with Peter Parker - as opposed to falling for Spider-Man - offering more than most romantic comedies/dramas in recent memory.



    I loved The Social Network and andrew was fantastic in it.your right both bring something different to Peter Parker and Spider-Man, but being a big fan of tobys (pleasantville & the cider house rules)he gets my vote,after watching him in his first spider-man movie i just can't picture anyone else in the roleĀ  he was the way i always imagined the character would be like.but like i said i enjoyed andews version very much.emma stone i love her as an actress her wonderful personality always shine though.her romance with Peter Parker is spot on definitely one of the highlights of the movie ! kirsten dunst never really did it for me in any of the 3 spider-man movies always the weakest link, that said the love triangle between mary Jane,peter and harry osborn was maybe the reason for that it always bored me a little bit.


    I'm quite fond of Tobey Maguire's acting, too -- Wonder Boys, Seabiscuit and The Ice Storm in particular. It will be good to see him back on screen and working with Ang Lee again in The Life of Pi, whilst The Great Gatsby holds much promise. He's been relatively quiet since Spider-Man 3 but has leant towards producing -- Rock of Ages and Country Strong being two examples. I'm not certain if musicals or musically-themed films are a direction he's going to pursue further, though.



    Looking forward to the great gatsby looks very good.yeah i seen he produced both Rock of Ages and Country Strong both great movies.but like you im glad he is back in front of the camera.