Post here your Elvis' pictures

Early Elvis in Tupelo --> Correct Dates?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:43 am

These photos all appear to be from Tupelo, prior to the Presley's Memphis migration in November 1948.

Does anyone have specific dates for these?

1945_Tupelo.jpg
1945_Tupelo

1946_Tupelo.jpg
1946_Tupelo

1947_Tupelo.jpg
1947_Tupelo

1947_Tupelo_Easter.jpg

1948_Tupelo_Easter

1947_Tupelo_Easter_w Gladys.jpg
1948_Tupelo_Easter_w Gladys

Part II below -->
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Early Elvis in Tupelo --> Correct Dates?

Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:These photos all appear to be from Tupelo, prior to the Presley's Memphis migration in November 1948.

Does anyone have specific dates for these?

1945_Tupelo.jpg
1945_Tupelo

1946_Tupelo.jpg
1946_Tupelo

1947_Tupelo.jpg
1947_Tupelo

1947_Tupelo_w Gladys.jpg
1947_Tupelo_w Gladys

1948_Tupelo.jpg
1948_Tupelo

Beautiful pics of our boy. Thanks Doc!

Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:50 am

I guess dating Elvis photos, pre-1950, is VERY murky territory.

Can anyone help out?

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:29 am

I don't have any idea of how the US school system works, John, but would any of these correspond with Elvis' first or last years in a given school?

In the UK it was sometimes the case that children would be photographed as they entered and left schools.

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 pm

George Smith wrote:I don't have any idea of how the US school system works, John, but would any of these correspond with Elvis' first or last years in a given school?

In the UK it was sometimes the case that children would be photographed as they entered and left schools.

I do agree that, save the one with his mom, these are school portraits.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:58 pm

1 - 1946 ???
2- 1947
3- 1948
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 pm

Wow, can't recall having seen that last pic before. Interesting.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:58 am

date

Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:05 am

claude 91 wrote:1 - 1946 ???
2- 1947
3- 1948

Your first image is an exact copy of the one I posted above as 1946. The second is obviously from the same session as the one with his mom circa 1947, which make me think this may well be from a special event, like Easter services. It is also reversed. The final shot is new and may well be from 1944, when Elvis was nine. Thank you for sharing it. Any idea what yearbook it is from?

otto wrote:date

OK, cool, this is circa October 1947 then, as that's when school photos are usually taken.

I'm going to rearrange my original post to add this image. The dating is all guesswork based on Elvis' face; I wish one of our Tupelo experts could chime in.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:59 am

And these two I am now guessing are from Memphis in 1948 and 1949:

1948_Memphis.jpg
1948_Memphis

1949_Memphis.jpg
1949_Memphis

Any early photo experts out there?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:12 pm

One more to add to the mystery.

Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:20 pm

High Res. and
1947 uncropped.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:12 am

promiseland wrote:One more to add to the mystery.

No mystery, it's probably his kindergarden (1940) or 1st grade (1941) picture.

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 am

promiseland wrote:High Res. and
1947 uncropped.

The bottom shot is reversed. But those flowers sure do seem to emphasize the Easter holiday, eh?

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:07 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
promiseland wrote:High Res. and
1947 uncropped.

The bottom shot is reversed. But those flowers sure do seem to emphasize the Easter holiday, eh?

Yes that's why I don't think it's a school shot, because he and his mother are in the same background in the photo well above.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:08 am

promiseland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:But those flowers sure do seem to emphasize the Easter holiday, eh?

Yes that's why I don't think it's a school shot, because he and his mother are in the same background in the photo well above.

Agreed.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:01 am

promiseland wrote:One more to add to the mystery.

This is one of my favorites of young Elvis. He's very cute here!

Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:27 pm

The youngest picture is fantastic, the one with the 'snarl'.

Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:08 pm

KHoots wrote:Wow, can't recall having seen that last pic before. Interesting.

Agreed. It is a great photo.

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:42 pm

interesting to see the difference between the 45-46 shot........his eyes were developing into that 'sloe, sexy look'

Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:12 am

debtd1 wrote:interesting to see the difference between the 45-46 shot........his eyes were developing into that 'sloe, sexy look'

Yes, you can see it. I hope we eventually get definitive dates for all of these.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:27 am

A FTD book about early Elvis would be a great companion to the Sun box, IMO. If not a great companion, at least it would be an amazing project (once again in my opinion).

For the audio they could focus on songs that influenced Elvis.

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:49 pm

The one listed as 1946 is new to my eyes too, thanks for sharing.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:17 am

A somewhat damaged picture I saw when in Tupelo the other week, thought it appeared new to me so took a ‘snap’ of it.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 am

Julian Grant wrote:A somewhat damaged picture I saw when in Tupelo the other week, thought it appeared new to me so took a ‘snap’ of it.

Wow, Julian! I saw those striped overalls (pronounced "overhauls" in the deep south) on him before. I do not know if I saw this shot ever before, though! (And I have no recall as to where I saw the striped ones, either, so this is GREAT!)

Thanks.

And, Doc, thanks very much. I agree these really should be dated. Perhaps a check of school records, and finding out the months when school pictures were taken in those schools might help. They would often take them much later in the year than October. I have one (or, well, I had it, but I'm digging through a garage to find it again) of me, and it says in the background of the classroom "March Comes In Like a Lion, and Goes Out Like A Lamb." So, that was March. A shame there's nothing there like that.

Surely, a researcher who digs deeply into his childhood could dig around the Tupelo records and maybe come up with something! I would buy such a book! (I should write such a book. But I'm busy right now.) This is the period which absolutely fascinates me, and is so little covered. Especially the transition from East Tupelo to Tupelo. Physically, you can see that his hair changed color. Also, his countenance changed from sad, helpless little child, to a certain tougher, insistent look that's hard to describe. More confidence, or strength. Somebody had better do this work fast, because southerners do not eat healthy food,, so they're dying! (Seriously, the longevity rates for those states, particularly in the rural areas, should reveal a difference. Look at the map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_life_expectancy and also, look which state is LAST.)

rjm