Off Topic Messages

Re: Losing pets

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Robt wrote:Sorry for your loss, Rick. I been there myself with Budgies, Cats and Dogs. Will you be getting another cockatiel ? Where I live they're very common along with lorikeet's.

Not planning a new one at the moment. After the robbery at home today and then a guy duping me on a deal we had for me to buy a movie poster collection, I'm not feeling like anything at the moment.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:58 pm

One dog or cat has way more common sense & love than 10,000 humans put together.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:43 am

jak wrote:I live out in an extremely rural area.It's not uncommon for people to just dump dogs or cats out of their cars and drive off.About 10 years ago I had a stray dog wander up on my front porch.He more or less adopted us.He never left my house in all those years after walking up my driveway.Never even wandered out of sight of the house.It was almost like he was afraid of being left alone.Im my living room I have a huge footstool if front of my chair.All he wanted to do was climb up on it and lay at my feet.It was his permanent spot.Just two weeks ago I found him collapsed on the floor late in the evening.I helped him up but he was so weak he couldnt hardly stand.I layed him back on his favorite spot.I stayed up with him for most of the night.I layed down for just a brief time.I woke to find him standing next to my bed with his head a few inches away just staring at me.As soon as I got up he just collapsed again.I rushed him to the vet as soon as they were open.Unfortunatley there was nothing they could do and I had to put him down.It was absolutley brutal.That dog loved us so much.I brought him home and buried out in my back pasture where we always walked together.Made him a nice grave with a marker,marble chips,the whole works.I take comfort knowing he had a good home for those last ten years and that he was cared for.

Man that's hard to take but you will always have the memories of a loyal dog that clearly loved you.

norrie

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:35 am

My dog died last December, 4 months shy of his 12th birthday, he had cancer, and after 3 surgeries, it spread in behind his ear, and there was no way for it to be removed, as it was in the nerves deep inside his ear.
I spent almost $5,000 trying to save him, I did every single thing I possibly could for him.
There was nothing harder for me when I had to let them put him to sleep , even with the shape he was in, with a baseball size tumor on the side of his head that was so large it split all his incisions open from the last surgery. ..he still wanted me to take him home.
I'll never forget that day that was so hard , but I know I tried my very best to save him.
I think he really knew that.

I'll always miss my best friend Nymat ...

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:29 am

some sad stories here guys............. :cry: :cry:

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:35 pm

debtd1 wrote:some sad stories here guys............. :cry: :cry:

Some fantatsic stories of love and devotion here, to be sure. I lost a wonderful dog to age years ago, and I still think of her often.

I didn't get another dog until I met the girl who'd become my wife. We now have two dogs, Dixie and Wiggy. We adopted Dixie in February, while Wiggy has been with my wife for almost six years. They're great pals now...

Dogs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I've lost so many pets over the years that it gets harder and harder each time we get a new one....:(

(BTW, that was a very touching story, Doc...another reason why I admire you).

Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:37 pm

You certainly have my sympathies. Losing a pet is always hard. Every time I lose one, I always say I will never get another, but I always do. I've also had a couple of dogs that just took up at my house. When that happens, I always try to take them in. Actually I had neighbors who just moved off and left their cats behind. I don't understand how anyone can do that.

While, as animals go, I am mostly a dog fan, I think that the loss that hit me hardest so far was actually a rabbit that I took in when my sister decided she didn't want it. I left her a cage bottom down, which was like her litter box, and she was allowed to hop around in one room, which was lower than the rest of the house so I didn't have to worry about her getting out of that room. There is a full glass door in that room that went to the garage, and, everyday when I came home from work, she always stood at the step-up waiting for me to come see her and scratch her head.

Currently, I have a dog and I'm getting a little concerned since he just turned nine. He is still very active and in good health, but that is a little old for a terrier.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:13 am

rjm wrote:That was wonderful, Doc, btw.

Tony Trout wrote:I've lost so many pets over the years that it gets harder and harder each time we get a new one....:(

(BTW, that was a very touching story, Doc...another reason why I admire you).

Thank you both.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:15 am

jak wrote:I live out in an extremely rural area.It's not uncommon for people to just dump dogs or cats out of their cars and drive off.About 10 years ago I had a stray dog wander up on my front porch.He more or less adopted us.He never left my house in all those years after walking up my driveway.Never even wandered out of sight of the house.It was almost like he was afraid of being left alone.Im my living room I have a huge footstool if front of my chair.All he wanted to do was climb up on it and lay at my feet.It was his permanent spot.Just two weeks ago I found him collapsed on the floor late in the evening.I helped him up but he was so weak he couldnt hardly stand.I layed him back on his favorite spot.I stayed up with him for most of the night.I layed down for just a brief time.I woke to find him standing next to my bed with his head a few inches away just staring at me.As soon as I got up he just collapsed again.I rushed him to the vet as soon as they were open.Unfortunatley there was nothing they could do and I had to put him down.It was absolutley brutal.That dog loved us so much.I brought him home and buried out in my back pasture where we always walked together.Made him a nice grave with a marker,marble chips,the whole works.I take comfort knowing he had a good home for those last ten years and that he was cared for.

promiseland wrote:My dog died last December, 4 months shy of his 12th birthday, he had cancer, and after 3 surgeries, it spread in behind his ear, and there was no way for it to be removed, as it was in the nerves deep inside his ear.
I spent almost $5,000 trying to save him, I did every single thing I possibly could for him.
There was nothing harder for me when I had to let them put him to sleep , even with the shape he was in, with a baseball size tumor on the side of his head that was so large it split all his incisions open from the last surgery. ..he still wanted me to take him home.
I'll never forget that day that was so hard , but I know I tried my very best to save him.
I think he really knew that.

I'll always miss my best friend Nymat ...

These are very touching stories, and my admiration for both of you is even greater now.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:09 am

Thank you Doc,
That was the hardest post I ever wrote on FECC.
I had him cremated, and they brought him back to me in a little oak box, so in a way a part of him is still with me always..

Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:55 am

Animals rule, people suck. My true belief. I swear by it.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:02 am

Man this is really tough stuff to read. Condolences to everyone at FECC who have recently lost their loyal pets and are dealing with grief. I know what it's like.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:33 pm

goldrecords2 wrote:Losing a pet is always hard.

+10

Pets are loyal,caring, loving & always there for you till the very end. If there is a heaven, there's no doubt that all those beloved pets that have gone on are already there.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:26 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
goldrecords2 wrote:Losing a pet is always hard.

+10

Pets are loyal,caring, loving & always there for you till the very end. If there is a heaven, there's no doubt that all those beloved pets that have gone on are already there.

There IS a heaven (no, I'm not getting into a theological discussion or spiritual discussion here - just stating a simple fact) and I fully and truly believe that we WILL see our beloved pets in Heaven just like we'll see our deceased family members who have gone on before us or if there are people here who have children who have unexpectedly left this Earth before their time, I believe fully that we will see them, too, and that they will know us!

Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:31 am

promiseland wrote:Thank you Doc,
That was the hardest post I ever wrote on FECC.
I had him cremated, and they brought him back to me in a little oak box, so in a way a part of him is still with me always..

Good to know you did this.

Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Rick,

My heart hurts for you. My wife and I were not able to have children so you can imagine how we feel about our dogs. They are our family.

This is Shasta. I found him sick and languishing at a flea market. Since he came to us two years ago he has not quit smiling. We have another like him named Caspian and a Basset Hound who goes by the name Puddleglum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 am

Shasta certainly looks like one contented little tyke!

norrie

Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:27 am

some very touching and heartbreaking stories here. losing a pet is NEVER easy. i've lost many myself. for as long as i can remember, i've always had guinea pigs and hamsters. our first family pet was a guinea pig that we all took care of together. then as me and my brother got older, we each got our own pigs. when i got a little older i started with the hamsters. one of my friends had some and i just fell in love with them, and had to have one myself. in my childhood, i have also had birds, a gold fish, and at one point we had a cat. but we only had it for a month or so and then it ran away...it was a homeless one me and my brother had brought home. i don't really remember it much because we didn't have it for very long
but as i grew up, i went back to the hamsters and guinea pigs. these little ones don't live very long. a guinea pigs average life span is 5-7 years. though i've heard of some that lived to be 10-13 years, it's not something i'm counting on experiencing myself. a hamsters average life span is 1 1/2-2 years. i've had a few that lived to the ripe old age of 3. as impressive as it is that they lived "longer than they were supposed to", 3 years is still not a very long time to have a pet. and it's amazing how attached you get to these little guys. and...because it's so hard to loose them, within a short period, and so many, too, i've decided that i'm gonna take a break from them. my last hamster passed away 3 years ago, and i had 2 guinea pigs as well, at the time. and it was already then i decided that when they're gone, i don't want anymore anytime soon. but then 2 years ago, someone i know had a guinea pig they didn't want anymore, and asked me if i wanted it. i hesitated, but eventually had to give in. how could i say no?? so at that time i had 3 guinea pigs. the most i've had at one time. the other 2 has passed on, so now i have that one that was unwanted left. and when she's gone, i'm definitely NOT getting anymore anytime soon! i'm saying "anytime soon", because i know i haven't had my last hamster or guinea pig. i know at some point, i want them in my life again. but right now, i just want a long break
always hard to lose a pet for sure, but the hardest ones was definitely when 2 of my guinea pigs passed away suddenly and unexpected.....
amalie: one day, i went out, and when i came home i found her dead in the cage. there was nothing wrong with her, and she was absolutely fine when i left. i took her to the vet to have an autopsy performed on her, but they didn't find anything. so i will never know what happened. and i only had her for a year. i blamed myself for this, i was sure i had done something wrong
dominik: it was one evening, when i wanted to take them out of the cage for some play time...i took them out one at a time, and i went to take him out first. i put him on the bed, and turned around to get the other one out of the cage. i had only turned my back on him for maybe 30 seconds, and as i turned around, he was lying on the side, struggling to breathe. i picked him up to see what was going on, and before i knew it he died in my arms. i also took him to the vet to have an autopsy performed on him. it turned out that he had a blood clot in the heart. i also blamed myself very much for this. i was so sure it happened because i had done something wrong. picked him up the wrong way, squeezed him too hard, or something. and i blamed myself because i thought it was strange it happened less than a minute after i had picked him up. maybe that is stupid, but still to this day, i'm not sure. i had him for 3 years, only
those were the 2 that died before their time. all my other ones have died of old age. and these little critters are absolutely fantastic little pets, with their own little personalities. they will steal your heart, for sure. and all the ones i've had, will always have a special place in my heart
so since i decided not to get anymore hamsters or guinea pigs, i wanted to try to have a pet that lives longer. i can't have cats and dogs where i live, it's not allowed. it's not really pets i've ever really had much desire to own, anyway. don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with them, but i'm not sure if they are the "right pets" for me
an animal i've always wanted, is a snake. i've thought about it many times over the years, but had never really bothered to find out much about owning snakes. then earlier this year i decided to do something about it. i decided i wanted one, and started doing a lot of research. there are so many different snakes. i was very confused, didn't know where to begin. i had to get some expert help to help me decide. so i finally decided what to get, and in may i got my first snake. that sure was something different than a guinea pig or a hamster! a snake is not a pet like a dog, cat, hamster or guinea pig. but i still consider him MY pet, and i love him to death. he is so much fun to have. he has given me many good laughs and smiles. and he has the sweetest personality. he is the most calm snake that you can imagine. never has he bitten me, struck at me, hissed at me, or anything. never had any problems with him whatsoever. couldn't have asked for a better beginner snake. he's a corn snake, he's 1 1/2 years old, and he's very small. he still has A LOT of growing to do. and corn snakes life span is 15-20 years, so i expect to have him for a long time

another animal i have also always wanted are rats. but they don't live very long either, and that's the only reason that's keeping from getting some

so here they are. pigs name is julia, snakes name is rocky