Off Topic Messages

Losing pets

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:09 pm

My little pet cockatiel (a type of small parrot for non-Aussies) just died tonight. `Snickers' had been with us about 5 years and followed me everywhere. I work from home so she was here with me all day, usually sitting on my lap after I removed her from my head. She was quiet yesterday and woke up late today and wouldn't eat. She was flying a bit but later in the day stopped. I lay down on the couch tonight and put her on my chest and under my chin (her favorite spot). She was barely moving and died quietly about an hour later.
Our cat of 16 years died late last year.
Damn I hate to lose pets

Re: Losing pets

Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I can relate to that. Pets become part of the family.

I had 4 Staffordshire Bull Terriers and i was heartbroken when they died all inside 18 months. :cry:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Sad news indeed Rick

Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:58 pm

so sad..........

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:16 pm

I have a German Shorthaired Pointer, he'll be 11 in September. Extremely well and active, but I find I am having dreams periodically about accidents/dieing etc....Unless you are an animal person, it's hard for people to understand how they become part of the family......

I did have to have my Horse shot several years ago, he got kicked on the knee by another horse, ended up with a fracture. That is hard, the brutality of watching this huge, graceful animal drop to the floor........awful experience

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:23 pm

When you choose to be a guardian to an animal, they become another family member. It really hurts when they pass away. I am sorry to read about your loss.

This is the exact spot in Memphis where we found an injured, 4 month-old stray puppy in June 1995.

McKellar Lake Memphis a.JPG
McKellar Lake Memphis b.JPG

We named her McKellar and took her home to California with us.

We had to say good-bye to her two years ago.

McKellar resting 2008.JPG
McKellar: January 8, 1995 to April 13, 2010

15 years of love, friendship and wonderful memories.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:29 pm

Awwww, bless.......you gave her 15 years Doc......she lived a long and happy life. Who's to know what would have happened to her if you hadn't found her

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:36 pm

As an animal lover i can relate to these losses .

Good on the Doc , i would probably have done the same .

Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 pm

I can relate to losing a pet, sorry to hear about your loss.They do become like family. We have four cats now and they follow my husband around like he's their daddy. I'll be heartbroken when any of them go.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 pm

My dad put my pet dog down.

Nothing wrong with him, but he kept getting in a neighbour's garden.

It's been over 60 years now, I still miss Tricksy but have never forgiven my dad, who is also long-gone...........

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Sorry for your loss Rick. I went through a very painful pet loss in November. It still hurts.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Sorry friend, that is tough. I have lost family pets, but only last year did my wife and I buy our first pet together - a long hair chihuahua that looks like anything but a chihuahua (12 pounds, deer head instead of apple, loves the outdoors while many chis loathe it). In just a year "my little man" has become a big part of my life (we even took him to Memphis last year on vacation - though he didn't get to go to Graceland with us). Pets are more than companions...they are family. I'm sure your pet appreciated your love (and the same for everyone who posted).

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 pm

RIP "Patches" :cry: :cry:

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:56 am

Over the years i have lost pets and every time i lost one it hurt. They are part of the family at least with them they are always there for you.
They give so much pleasure when you come home they are there to greet you.

I had a lab mix and he wanted to be held like a baby imagine a full size lab mix being held like a baby.
Another one was Lhasa Apso she like sucking on her paw why she did that i have no idea.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:53 am

The love and respect you can have from a pet was something alien to me until the wife begged me to get a dog as she had always been around them as a child.I was dead against it but I knew it meant a lot to her so I reluctantly allowed it but not before setting some groundrules as I was not a dog lover.I told her she could have one but she and our daughter
(who also begged me) would be responsible and I would not have anything to do with the dirty smelly brute.they would walk,feed,clean up,poop scoop and everything else while I would do F all.The pup arrived a few weeks later,a whippet they named Diva.I tried to ignore it but the damn thing kept couldn't keep away from me wagging it's stupid tail and trying to lick my face.It even tried to cuddle up to me in our bed which I hated.It took the little devil/angel a whole two days to melt my heart.I now sleep half the time with my arse half out the bed with TWO whippets snuggling up to me.I take them
for long walks twice a day before and after work and if I'm off work we go for miles.I wouldn't have it any other way.
They are definitely part of the family and I can't imagine how devasted I would be if anything happened to them which It will someday of course.
Sorry for the ramble rickeap just meant to say I understand how you must feel.

IMG_20110819_155415.jpg

Blue and Diva
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:05 am

Blue and Diva are awesome.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:When you choose to be a guardian to an animal, they become another family member. It really hurts when they pass away. I am sorry to read about your loss.

This is the exact spot in Memphis where we found an injured, 4 month-old stray puppy in June 1995.

McKellar Lake Memphis a.JPG
McKellar Lake Memphis b.JPG

We named her McKellar and took her home to California with us.

We had to say good-bye to her two years ago.

McKellar resting 2008.JPG
McKellar: January 8, 1995 to April 13, 2010

15 years of love, friendship and wonderful memories.

Touching story Doc,McKellar was very lucky you happened to pass by and rescue her.

norrie
Last edited by norrie on Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Blue and Diva are awesome.

Thanks.They sure are.

norrie

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:10 am

norrie wrote:Touching story Doc,Mckellar was very lucky you happened to pass by and rescue her.

Thanks. We' d just been to Graceland, but I wanted to see parts of Memphis not necessarily on the "highlight reel," like Riverside Park and McKellar Lake, which are right next to each other. Elvis and friends used to hang at the park when he was a teen, and of course the lake is where he would boat and water-ski. So off we went, from his home to the park. It was the luckiest meeting of our life, McKellar was a beautiful, kind, funny, loyal canine. She used to go to work with me, and sit on the futon by my desk. She was never a bother to anyone, and loved that I'd walk her at lunchtime.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:21 am

Thanks all. If you don't know cockatiels, they are very loyal and friendly birds. `Snickers' followed me everywhere, tried to steal my food off my plate, constantly sought a rub under her chin and generally ran the household. She would know when my car came in the driveway and she would start tweeting to me before I got inside. She had a hooked foot and was going to be put down by the breeder but we brought her home and she became part of the family. It's going to be a quiet day of work today.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:01 am

It gets worse. Just back from the police station after being robbed at home this morning after doing a nice gesture. Luckily the thief was caught and my wife's expensive ring recovered.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 am

I love animals and unfortunately I know the feeling of losing pets all too well. It always sucks. We've lost a few dogs due to old age - they all lived long lives. We've owned a dachsund, a couple poodles, a lhasa apso, a dalmatian, and a couple chihuahas. Birds are a more recent part of the family and I know I'd be devastated if we lost either of them.

Sorry to hear what you're going through rickeap.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:17 am

norrie wrote:The love and respect you can have from a pet was something alien to me until the wife begged me to get a dog as she had always been around them as a child.I was dead against it but I knew it meant a lot to her so I reluctantly allowed it but not before setting some groundrules as I was not a dog lover.I told her she could have one but she and our daughter
(who also begged me) would be responsible and I would not have anything to do with the dirty smelly brute.they would walk,feed,clean up,poop scoop and everything else while I would do F all.The pup arrived a few weeks later,a whippet they named Diva.I tried to ignore it but the damn thing kept couldn't keep away from me wagging it's stupid tail and trying to lick my face.It even tried to cuddle up to me in our bed which I hated.It took the little devil/angel a whole two days to melt my heart.I now sleep half the time with my arse half out the bed with TWO whippets snuggling up to me.I take them
for long walks twice a day before and after work and if I'm off work we go for miles.I wouldn't have it any other way.
They are definitely part of the family and I can't imagine how devasted I would be if anything happened to them which It will someday of course.
Sorry for the ramble rickeap just meant to say I understand how you must feel.

IMG_20110819_155415.jpg

Blue and Diva

Love that Norrie....they sure melt your heart :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Sorry for your loss, Rick. I been there myself with Budgies, Cats and Dogs. Will you be getting another cockatiel ? Where I live they're very common along with lorikeet's.

Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:01 pm

I live out in an extremely rural area.It's not uncommon for people to just dump dogs or cats out of their cars and drive off.About 10 years ago I had a stray dog wander up on my front porch.He more or less adopted us.He never left my house in all those years after walking up my driveway.Never even wandered out of sight of the house.It was almost like he was afraid of being left alone.Im my living room I have a huge footstool if front of my chair.All he wanted to do was climb up on it and lay at my feet.It was his permanent spot.Just two weeks ago I found him collapsed on the floor late in the evening.I helped him up but he was so weak he couldnt hardly stand.I layed him back on his favorite spot.I stayed up with him for most of the night.I layed down for just a brief time.I woke to find him standing next to my bed with his head a few inches away just staring at me.As soon as I got up he just collapsed again.I rushed him to the vet as soon as they were open.Unfortunatley there was nothing they could do and I had to put him down.It was absolutley brutal.That dog loved us so much.I brought him home and buried out in my back pasture where we always walked together.Made him a nice grave with a marker,marble chips,the whole works.I take comfort knowing he had a good home for those last ten years and that he was cared for.