Chat talk and light discussion

Re: Last album you listened to.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:30 am

poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I have been listening to Paolo Nutini's Sunny Side Up CD a lot over the last few days. I'm not sure if Nutini has had much success out of the UK, but this is a fun album with some wonderful songs on it, including his jungle book-inspired hit Pencil Full Of Lead (he had been singing I Wanna Be Like You in concert for some years prior to the arrival of his self-penned homage). But it's far from the highlight of the album, that surely is the wonderful No Other Way. I realise that his accent is difficult to understand, so for those not used to it, I've found a video of that great song with the lyrics printed!

<snipped clip>

He seems to have been very quiet since that album emerged back in 2009. I sincerely hope we hear more from him soon.

He's great! What accent is that? Can't quite place it.

rjm

I think he is from Glasgow, but part Italian. Something like that. He was about 20 on that recording, but sounds more like 50. A strange voice, but wonderful singer and song.

Thanks, really. I just spent an hour or so on YouTube, exploring Scottish accents (tough process, but there are tutorials, honestly) and more Scottish music (which I always loved). Lotta bagpipes, but really, it's very, very beautiful. I had thought the best non-American voices generally came from Ireland, but there are exceptions!

As to his accent - not to mention the vocal presentation, still sounded a wee bit different!

Thanks, again. I like this guy.

rjm
P.S. -- "50"? Naw. He sounds WAY older than 50! Great, though.
P.P.S. -- Back on topic: listened to this yesterday, on my IPod. Both discs, "Who Wants To Live Forever," "Everybody Hurts," "Hymn to Her," Rod Stewart's "Love Minus Zero," etc., etc. Annie Lennox singing "just like Elvis Presley, singing live in Las Vegas, where did you go?" Go figure . . .

DianaTribute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 am

There are hints of Nutini's true accent in his phrasing, but what he does is very stylised -- allowing words to fall out of a vocal grip that clasps with one hand and holds loose with the other. He's in complete command of his artistry and does everything with apparent ease -- and a great sense of fun. He's very talented.

Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Die Ärzte - "Auch"
Ärzte_auch.jpg

German punkrock - you could translate it like this: The Doctors - "Also" :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:02 am

51QpstSPf1L__SL500_AA300_.jpg

The new album from Jack White.it's brilliant.The guitar is there and loud but the piano takes over on many tracks and it all comes together in one almighty sonic boom.

norrie

Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:53 pm

John Coltrane: One Down One Up: Live at the Half Note

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:15 am

A bit of classic British Metal.
417qROA+fYL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rifftastic!

norrie

Sat May 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Gerry Mulligan: At the Village Vanguard

Tue May 08, 2012 12:01 pm

The Medicine - John Mark McMillan
phpBB [video]

Wed May 09, 2012 3:24 am

I'm on a bit of a heavy metal trip at the moment.Must be a mid life crisis
41sj37UtgwL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rhandy Roads rocks all over this album.

norrie

Wed May 09, 2012 5:16 am

Blizzard is no doubt a classic album. Rhoads was brilliant on that album.

Sadly, Sharon Osbourne and Legacy botched the 2011 reissue. Originally it was supposed to be a two-disc edition, but the ongoing issues with Bob Daisley derailed plans. So, the Mr. Crowley Live EP remains out-of-print (including the long-lost song You Said It All), additional cuts from the 1980 Southampton gig remain unreleased, and Daisley's rehearsal tapes remain in his possession.

Thu May 10, 2012 1:55 am

Yes,the 2011 reissue was botched but at least Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake's superb contributions are back in the mix after being replaced in the vandalised 2002 reissues and the remastered sound is great plus it only cost me 4 quid so it was worth it but as you say it could have been a proper legacy release.

norrie

Thu May 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Does your copy have a glitch on Dee (IIRC, it was around the .47 mark)? There was a digital error on Dee on many first pressings.

Fri May 11, 2012 2:37 am

No it doesn't.I just checked it out to make sure.

cheers

norrie

Fri May 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime (1988) - fantastic album.

Mon May 14, 2012 4:36 am

midnightx wrote:Does your copy have a glitch on Dee (IIRC, it was around the .47 mark)? There was a digital error on Dee on many first pressings.

You cannot be revealing this sort of sensitive information - digital errors are reserved for Elvis titles only! Don't fight the propoganda machine!

Tue May 22, 2012 1:06 am

Over the past few days:

Piano Man: The Very Best of Billy Joel - Billy Joel
Elvis sings Memphis, Tennessee (FTD) - Elvis Presley
Behind Closed Doors - Charlie Rich
Come Away With Me - Norah Jones
Their Greatest Hits: The Record - The Bee Gees

Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Just listened to Disc 2 and 5 of Young Man with the Big Beat and had another read through the book. After the announcement of the Sun FTD, it kinda got me in the mood!

Wed May 23, 2012 4:16 am

Been treading the Elvis ground in recent days:

Jailhouse Rock vol. 2 - disc 2
Something For Everybody - discs 1 and 2
Pot Luck With Elvis - discs 1 and 2
50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong - disc 1
Young Man With The Big Beat - disc 3
Hits Like Never Before - Essential Elvis vol. 3 (man the sounds been drastically improved on these outtakes since 1990!)
Elvis Sings Memphis, Tennessee - disc 1

Wed May 23, 2012 6:12 am

Lisa-Marie-Presley-Storm-and-Grace-cover.jpg

rjm

Fri May 25, 2012 12:26 am

I listened to these albums during the last couple of days:

Paul & Linda McCartney - RAM [deluxe edition]

The Beau Brummels - Bradley's Barn

Bob Dylan & The Band - The Basement Tapes

The Beach Boys - 20/20

Million Dollar Quartet

Elvis Presley - Stage Rehearsal

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:32 am

The following have been in my CD player for the last couple of days:
basie_count_kansascit_101b.jpg

_HAMEL_LOHENGRIN_516x516px.jpg

album-cover-2012.jpg

softly.jpg

southerncover.jpg

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:17 am

Over the past few days . . .

Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:05 am

51YYbg5iQML__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Great stuff from Jerry Jeff and great to finally hear Walkers Collectables for the first time.(This is it's first release on CD and the LP has been out of print for years)
Ridin' High was also hard to track down and It might be Jerry Jeffs best studio album ever.Loose,rowdy,rockin' Texan country music at it's best.Best heard with an accompanying beer,preferably Lone star.

norrie

Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Hailstorm / The Strange Case Of...

Shinedown / Amaryllis

Nickelback / here and now

phpBB [video]

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:09 am

Blind Faith - Blind Faith