Chat talk and light discussion

The Freedom Tower - NY

Tue May 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Members of the Mohawk Indian tribe from the Kahnawake reservation in Quebec are constructing the new Freedom Tower in New York.

Apparently, Obama had agreed to this replacement of the WTC twin towers "as long as no cowboy builders were used" !

NB - The first sentence above is actually true !

Re: The Freedom Tower - NY

Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

I have no idea what the point of this is.

Mohawks worked on the WTC, too. And the Empire State Building.

And probably every skyscraper and major bridge in Manhattan.

They're famous for it and have been for nearly 100 years now.

So ... what's the point?

Tue May 01, 2012 1:46 pm

ColinB wrote:Members of the Mohawk Indian tribe from the Kahnawake reservation in Quebec are constructing the new Freedom Tower in New York.

Apparently, Obama had agreed to this replacement of the WTC twin towers "as long as no cowboy builders were used" !

NB - The first sentence above is actually true !

Good one

Tue May 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Good one? How so ...

Again, totally lost on me.

Maybe this signifies something overseas, but in the U.S., the Mohawk tribe and ironwork -- especially at heights -- are all but synonymous to anyone who knows anything about it.

I seriously don't get it.

Tue May 01, 2012 2:14 pm

elvissessions wrote:Good one? How so ...

Again, totally lost on me.

Maybe this signifies something overseas, but in the U.S., the Mohawk tribe and ironwork -- especially at heights -- are all but synonymous to anyone who knows anything about it.

I seriously don't get it.

Maybe the term 'cowboy builders' has a meaning in the UK that it doesn't in the US......................

Cowboy Builders.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Colin

You of all people should have realised that our humour doesn't travel well. In fact, if it wasn't for you, keninlincs and a few others I'd have stopped posting jokes years ago.

ps: I thought it was funny.

[post scripts in posts are banned - The Management]

Tue May 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Delboy wrote:Colin

You of all people should have realised that our humour doesn't travel well.
In fact, if it wasn't for you, keninlincs and a few others I'd have stopped posting jokes years ago.

ps: I thought it was funny.

[post scripts in posts are banned - The Management]

We get so much stuff from the US, wouldn't you have thought that the 'cowboy builders' term would have originated there ?

ps: It was quite good, wasn't it ?

[Now stop that - The Management]

BTW - Keep your jokes coming - they're hilarious !

Sun May 20, 2012 1:04 am

Is Wythe Place in Bronx a safe place to stay , I'm prolly going in Oct to see Streisand ?

I read about a guy from U.K that lived in Bronx and he said that the crime in Bronx is exaggarated and not really THAT bad (wouldn't want to go out there at late evening/night though)

Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:Is Wythe Place in Bronx a safe place to stay , I'm prolly going in Oct to see Streisand ?

I read about a guy from U.K that lived in Bronx and he said that the crime in Bronx is exaggarated and not really THAT bad (wouldn't want to go out there at late evening/night though)

Compared to the crime in many parts of Inner London, I doubt NY is worse.