Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis's demeanors throughout the 50's, 60's, and 70's

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:23 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
LonnieBeale wrote:In regards to Elvis being a bit snippy at the the second sit down show. It was at the end of a very long day for him. Both shows , were filmed on June 27, and he had also filmed the BIG BOSS MAN and the IT HURTS ME production numbers. If anyone had watched the outtakes on the deluxe dvd, the IT HURTS ME number alone was very physical. I imagine by the end of the day he was pretty tired.

I agree 100% that's why I noted it was off topic. Plus he had the leather suit on.

I know; that dance routine (which they did not originally use!), "hurt me"! (To watch. They asked him to do something; can't tell what, and he replied: "can't hurt much more than it does." To that effect. Said he hurt.)

But, I think Steve was aware of that, and how nervous he was likely to be, just knowing him. Maybe felt a real physical workout would shake the cobwebs loose, get rid of the butterflies.

I don't think he was "snippy" in that sense: I just think he didn't expect to be nervous again, and he was, and he wasn't prepared, so he started to get a little bit panicky. You can really see it. But somehow, when he expressed it by saying "cool it, man," he let everyone know that he needed to settle down. And that helped. It's like with public speaking, when you're starting out. In the very beginning, it's ok to tell people you're nervous. Not too much, but a little, when you're starting out. And they usually get on your side. Which is exactly what happened. But the second show was shorter, and unlike the first show, where he just kept on keepin' on, he indicated an end, and it ended.

I wonder if the Doc or somebody knows about what Charlie said on the liner notes to The Burbank Sessions (Audifon LPs)??

WERE there any other rumors, or did it originate and end with what Charlie said?

BZZZZZZZ. Paging the doctor . . . you would have this somewhere in your files. Or just check out the LPs, and see if you know of it being anywhere else, prior. Because I never saw anything; just what Charlie denied happening. Like I said, it would be perfectly understandable and no big deal. It was as though Charlie was afraid people would "find out" and think poorly of him for getting emotional. That's ridiculous.

On June 30, if you have the Deluxe box, look at the segment where they're on The Road, and in between takes, he talks to the "yellow-shirt" dancer-guy. (Wish I had the take number, but I don't.) He's talking about the night before. After the last sit-down show. It's on the DVD (the tape, actually). And he says this to the yellow-shirt-guy. And, then the black dude - the muscular dancer fellow, he's laughing after Steve told the female to cross the double-yellow lines in the Road, by mistake after Elvis said this. Steve seemed flustered. And so the muscular guy goes: "don't anybody say "got drunk!" I don't believe Elvis, necessarily, because I think he was just trying to "fit in," to be one of the bunch. Boasting. But he did need to let off some steam somehow after this experience. It may have been great, and cathartic, but it was also harrowing. Had to be absolutely harrowing for him, considering all we know now about how he felt about the Hollywood Prison. And the worst thing of all is that Hollywood had been his main dream.

Anyway, in the conversation, the yellow-shirt-guy says "you won't drink again." And Elvis goes "no. Scared me."

Maybe he was really talking about what Charlie was talking about. Not drinking; just got emotional in the dressing room. Maybe he said that to the dancers to cover for that, cause he was embarrassed. I dunno. You try to connect the dots.

rjm

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:I'm getting the impression that most don't know who Elvis was in the 60's. Parker gave him a ham for being a ham. That does say a little.

I'm getting the impression that you don't know who Elvis was in the '60s.

Parker never gave his client a ham, for any reason. However, on September 12, 1962, while working on location in Seattle, Elvis and his manager did indeed present a huge smoked ham to Washington state governor Albert Rosellini.

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-in-seattle_3.html

Facts are your friend.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:54 am

LonnieBeale wrote:In regards to Elvis being a bit snippy at the the second sit down show. It was at the end of a very long day for him. Both shows , were filmed on June 27, and he had also filmed the BIG BOSS MAN and the IT HURTS ME production numbers. If anyone had watched the outtakes on the deluxe dvd, the IT HURTS ME number alone was very physical. I imagine by the end of the day he was pretty tired.

Elvis wasn't snippy, he was in charge. He probably said "Cool it, man" a hundred times to his retinue, on movie sets, at parties, whenever. Note he says it flat, without rancor. He's not angry, he's concentrating on the task at hand.

And Elvis wasn't pretty tired. June 27 wasn't all that different from the other days spent at Burbank, where everyone worked long hours to get the job done. The fact that the schedule got pushed out an extra day or two (to Sunday, June 30) shows how much was accomplished.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:I'm getting the impression that most don't know who Elvis was in the 60's. Parker gave him a ham for being a ham. That does say a little.

Parker never gave his client a ham, for any reason. However, on September 12, 1962, while working on location in Seattle, Elvis and his manager did indeed present a huge smoked ham to Washington state governor Albert Rosellini.

Facts are your friend.

What About this fact doc!
4:50 to 5:08

phpBB [video]

Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Well said. Thanks.

Sometimes we can over-analyze and forget the value of a more common-sense approach.

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:32 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Facts are your friend.

phpBB [video]

Oops. Gotta go with the Doc on this one. That is NOT Elvis talking there; it's a fake voice, reading a script of something that Elvis clearly NEVER SAID! (Ral Donner, right? That was the guy. He got cancer and passed away in the '80s. I remember being asked to pray for him at an event in Memphis. The guy with the fake Elvis voice, reading the voiceover.)

If anyone can find where Elvis actually SAID that, I would be very surprised. This Is Fabricated. Should have been the title of the "documentary" or whatever the heck they thought they were doing.

That is JUST what is wrong with that damn film! Newer fans watching it will be even MORE confused than the original audience!

{sigh}

(BTW, there was a thread here about the "mystery ham" saga. Pretty funny. And a little strange. It was apparently a country ham, and no one quite knew how it got there. It was NOT given "to" Elvis.)

It's not a matter of any significance . . . just a ham. Was Elvis a "ham"? Who knows? The Col. didn't trade little jokes with Elvis. And the jokes he traded with others were not always in the most generous spirit. Another story for another time.

(Dundy mentions how Red and Sonny mentioned how the Col.'s driveway was so clean, "you could eat off it." She commented that the driveway probably so impressed them 'cause that's about as far as they ever got to the Col.'s home. Elvis included. Just not a very sociable person, and especially to Elvis and those close to him. He DID have a conduit in Joe Esposito. That's a matter of record. Did even they joke around? Tend to doubt it.)

rjm

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:25 am

rjm wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Facts are your friend.

phpBB [video]

Oops. Gotta go with the Doc on this one. That is NOT Elvis talking there; it's a fake voice, reading a script of something that Elvis clearly NEVER SAID! (Ral Donner, right? That was the guy. He got cancer and passed away in the '80s. I remember being asked to pray for him at an event in Memphis. The guy with the fake Elvis voice, reading the voiceover.)
rjm

I know. I looked it up right after. But here is a perfect example of me researching something using an official documentary and getting wrong information. More proof of reason as to why I need to be here posting 'ridicules" questions...... That was a win/win

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:What About this fact doc!

It's not a "fact," it's a falsehood. Never make assumptions of fact based on watching a movie.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It's not a "fact," it's a falsehood. Never make assumptions of fact based on watching a movie.

It's an official documentary

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Oh, gosh, you're right. How did you like that 1968 TV Special rehearsal footage? You know the segment -- Elvis has huge mutton-chops and a multi-colored shirt.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Oh, gosh, you're right. How did you like that 1968 TV Special rehearsal footage? You know the segment -- Elvis has huge mutton-chops and a multi-colored shirt.

ETK: See, the doctor's just doing what he has to. Trying to help you "get mad": attachment therapy. You must watch COH more often! "Say it: 'get mad'!"

phpBB [video]

rjm

{Lord have mercy on me! I'm kiddin' around!}
50s_Duck_and_Cover.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

You're missing the point! As usual!

You want me to do "more research" before posting so I watch an "official documentary", not a movie but an "official documentary", and that "official documentary" is providing me with incorrect information. What’s a Kid to do? (bty, I must have watched that 50 times already)

And why is it that every post I read, someone is either ripping on you, or you're trying to justify your actions, or apologizing? With the Exception of your "U.S.S. Arizona Memorial Benefit Show --> Golden Anniversary!" post which you have been milking for over a year now. Why? Let me guess……. It's them, not you? Right?

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:51 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote: Let me guess……. It's them, not you? Right?

Thats the card he has been playing for years ! trys to be smart or in his case act like a twat,same old sh*t different day !!!

Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:58 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:You're missing the point! As usual!

It is stunning how rude and arrogant you are, when you are so impoverished intellectually. All of my posts have been geared to push you to a higher level of understanding, and all have been in vain. Perhaps you are more of a "Viva Elvis" type of fan?

You'll get no more from me, other than this suggestion: try reading a book. Good luck.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It is stunning how rude and arrogant you are, .

I'm being direct...... And that's like the pot calling the kettle black..... You can so dish it, but can't take it.

drjohncarpenter wrote:when you are so impoverished intellectually.

Seriously? Did you ever record yourself and listen back?

drjohncarpenter wrote:All of my posts have been geared to push you to a higher level of

When? All I get is sarcasm and grief. It's amazing how others don't have the same issue.

drjohncarpenter wrote:and all have been in vain.

You don't give me (or anyone a chance). You think that just because you are Elvis' brain, you have the right to say whatever. If you provide good info, it doesn't allow you the right to followed up with sarcasm.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Perhaps you are more of a "Viva Elvis" type of fan?

Can you define Viva Elvis type of fan???????? Bossa Nova's not too bad

drjohncarpenter wrote:You'll get no more from me, other than this suggestion

You'll come around.

drjohncarpenter wrote:try reading a book.

That's your answer to me for everything but if you pay attention, I've actually started threads on books I read..... If I Can Dream(s).

And Come on Doc, you know you can't believe everything you read. I know more about Elvis than you think.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:12 am

ElvisTheKid wrote:
You don't give me (or anyone a chance). You think that just because you are Elvis' brain, you have the right to say whatever.

I didn't know that! I feel so much better, because . . . I KNOW there is hope, now. It can be restored. (For the particulars, watch the whole episode. And just insert word "Elvis" every time you hear "Spock." Should work.)

phpBB [video]

Now, this all finally explains what happened in 1965. {whew} (Not to mention explaining the inscrutable presence of an unknown individual on the set of COH, in the trailer, known as "Doc." Had to keep him around.)

See?

TheSheik.jpg

rjm :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:04 pm

rjm wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:
You don't give me (or anyone a chance). You think that just because you are Elvis' brain, you have the right to say whatever.

I didn't know that! I feel so much better, because . . . I KNOW there is hope, now. It can be restored. (For the particulars, watch the whole episode. And just insert word "Elvis" every time you hear "Spock." Should work.)

Now, this all finally explains what happened in 1965. {whew} (Not to mention explaining the inscrutable presence of an unknown individual on the set of COH, in the trailer, known as "Doc." Had to keep him around.)

See?

rjm :wink:

He probably takes it as compliment