Chat talk and light discussion

Titanic

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:29 am

Titanic has just been released in 3D. I assume that this wasn't originally filmed in 3D, and if not. how could they make it into 3D? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Titanic

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:15 am

There's a 3D post-production process that creates a 3D effect that's tantamount to a decoupage. Basically, a false 3D. It will be great to see Titanic on the big screen again, but 3D remains a hit-and-miss affair in my opinion. True 3D is certainly best, whilst there's more than a few films touted as being 3D that have gone through a post-production conversion -- Clash of the Titans, Alice in Wonderland, John Carter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and Thor, to name but a few. Not to mention The Lion King and Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. The latter proving more than underwhelming in their conversions. Almost non-existent, in fact . . . So it will be interesting to see how Titanic fares in comparison; but there's more than enough spectacle in this film to warrant revisiting sans the need for the gimmick and tag of 3D.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 am

To give the viewers a real 3D experience during the movie, water will be thrown when the boat sinks!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:45 pm

greystoke wrote:There's a 3D post-production process that creates a 3D effect that's tantamount to a decoupage. Basically, a false 3D. It will be great to see Titanic on the big screen again, but 3D remains a hit-and-miss affair in my opinion. True 3D is certainly best, whilst there's more than a few films touted as being 3D that have gone through a post-production conversion -- Clash of the Titans, Alice in Wonderland, John Carter, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and Thor, to name but a few. Not to mention The Lion King and Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace. The latter proving more than underwhelming in their conversions. Almost non-existent, in fact . . . So it will be interesting to see how Titanic fares in comparison; but there's more than enough spectacle in this film to warrant revisiting sans the need for the gimmick and tag of 3D.

Thanks very much for your responce Greystoke, I thought if anyone knew, you would. I do have Titanic on DVD but, as you, say it will be good to see it again on a (bigger than my 50") screen again.

Sounds like this type of 3D in the film indusdries version of electronicly produced fake stereo, but there again it can't be as bad as that!!

On a separate issue Greystoke, I have 'The Big Trail' staring John Wayne filmed in 1930 in the Fox Grandeur 70mm process. This is almost as good as Cinemascpe but, of course, beat that by 23 years. What a shame the depresion was on and cinemas couldn't afford to update to this, I believe at the time only New York and Los Angeles could screen it. Elsewhere it had to be shown in 4.3, it is ironicle that we can now see it in all its glory on big screen TV's at home!

Talking of Titanic and water, I was at a film show in Stone Mountain, Georgia where water was sprayed from the seat in front, as I was already soaked having come in from a downpour, so this was the last thing I needed!

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:04 pm

I very much like The Big Trail and look forward to its forthcoming release on Blu-ray. It could look quite marvellous. And it's certainly great what modern technology can afford classic film -- especially when doing so works and is appropriate. The Blu-ray release of How the West Was Won, for example. Gone are much of the alignment issues that came with using three cameras to shoot the film, whilst the vertical banding has also been removed. It's a superb release that I highly recommend if you don't have it, Chris.

Worth mentioning also is the return of moving seats to some cinemas, a la Earthquake from 1974. This is being called D-Box and has been ushered out by Cineworld. I don't see this taking off in the same way 3D has, being more of a niche venture in certain screens and used during select films.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Great information, thanks both of you for sharing.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:57 am

I have to confess that the thought of seeing titanic again, at the cinema or elsewhere, is quite frightening. Personally, I see its success as little more than the result of a brilliant PR campaign. We live in a world where we are told what to like and what not to like, both at the cinema and musically, and Titanic was always going to be a hit because of this. It's been rumoured recently that di Caprio is ashamed of his performance in the film. It's certainly far from his greatest effort, and yet he often has so much charisma that he is watchable and likeable even when at his most wooden. The film looks wonderful. there is no denying that, but surely a film with such a big budget could have afforded a decent script instead of one which reads a little like danielle-steel-by-numbers. I see the whole thing as one of cinema's greatest disasters.

i remember in the Oscar programme that year, Barry Norman interviewed Amanda Donohoe, and she said the problem with the film and why the loss of the titanic in the film has no impact, is that the people float by in the water and the audience don't care because we have only got to know a very very few people on the boat. This is very different from the 1950s Titanic movies (A Night to Remember and Titanic) and even the 1929 take on the story, Titanic (aka Atlantik).

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Great information, thanks both of you for sharing.

Your welcome Doc, it makes a change to give the Doc some information as its usually the other way around!

Back to The Big Trail, unlike today when they overdub voices for foreign speaking markets, with 'Trail' they had to film it for each of these markets with a complete new set of actors, according to the fearurette that comes with the DVD, the only actor that appeared in all versions was the mother-in-law bullied swede. Plus it was filmed simaltaniously with both the standard and 'Grandeur' 70mm cameras, giving different angled shots of each scene in both versions. The Grandeur version is 2.10:1 as against todays cimemascope norm of 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This film really was a masterpiece of its time, filmed on location in 5 different states with live action scenes that would be the envy of many of todays films. This was the movie that should have made John Wayne a star, however partly because of the many distribution problems, he had to wait until 1939's Stagecoach for that.

The proplem with DiCaprio and Titanic is, so I have read, that due to the great world wide success of the film, it almost ruined him as an actor as against a movie star. Before Titanic he had really shown his acting skills in films such as 'This Boy's Life', 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape' etc. but after, he was such a big star that real meaty parts eluded him for some time, the powers that be just wanted to cash in on that films success.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:20 pm

It's certainly testament to the determination and talents of both Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio that they endured after Titanic to become two of the most prolific and successful actors of the past 15 years. And I do like Titanic -- it's a spectacular piece of movie-making that may suffer under some questionable dialogue and daft plotting, but the central performances are vital to keeping the proceedings engaging, whilst the sheer scale of the production remains mightily impressive. And if all around Jack and Rose were perfunctory, and the sinking of the ship inevitable, their story was what made Titanic engaging and moving. Else it's tantamount to any number of disaster movies where the mechanisms and events of what happens when a city burns, a volcano erupts, an earthquake strikes, ship capsises or fire breaks out on the 81st floor.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 pm

I was surprised by the enormous box office success that Titantic had.

For one thing it's not really the type of movie that usually does huge enormous business but it did.
You had people going back to see it several times which i never would have expected.

Everyone is familar with the basic story of the Titanic and the first half of it was kinda boring.

To me Titanic was one of those films you watch once and it's an okay film but nothing more than that.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:42 am

brian wrote:I was surprised by the enormous box office success that Titantic had.

For one thing it's not really the type of movie that usually does huge enormous business but it did.
You had people going back to see it several times which i never would have expected.

Everyone is familar with the basic story of the Titanic and the first half of it was kinda boring.

To me Titanic was one of those films you watch once and it's an okay film but nothing more than that.

It was a superbly marketed film and the romance of both the ship and story struck a chord with millions of cinema-goers -- furthermore, the popularity of Leonardo DiCaprio as a young, romantic lead and teen heartthrob also helped considerably. And what happened on that April night 100 years ago still courts a great deal of interest. Whilst continued fondness of the film and another strong marketing campaign has made it another success at the box office, if a strong US opening is anything to judge by.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:15 am

greystoke wrote:
brian wrote:I was surprised by the enormous box office success that Titantic had.

It was a superbly marketed film and the romance of both the ship and story struck a chord with millions of cinema-goers -- furthermore, the popularity of Leonardo DiCaprio as a young, romantic lead and teen heartthrob also helped considerably. And what happened on that April night 100 years ago still courts a great deal of interest. Whilst continued fondness of the film and another strong marketing campaign has made it another success at the box office, if a strong US opening is anything to judge by.

I still never would have thought that it be a billion dollar movie and the number one grossing film of all time.

Usually it's Animated films, Science fiction, action or adventure movies that gross that type of money.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:51 am

I consider Titanic the most overrated film of all time by the sheer number of Oscars that it won. I do not mean that It' is a bad film. The love story is ordinary, even Douglas Sirk could have told it better. In the end it is the technical aspects that overcame the acting and the script and overwhelmed the viewing public.

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Synthetic 3D is a crock. YouTube will 3D your videos, and I tried the glasses, and I all I got was discoloration. Whack.

Captain EO is back at Disneyland, and was shot in genuine 3D. The seats shake too, real good. Great dumb fun! (If you were a fan, you can reach and touch him even though he died. :cry: I saw it on Christmas Eve this past Dec., and I felt like I got a chance to say goodbye.)

rjm
P.S. -- I kinda liked Titanic, and didn't expect to. Star Trek TNG parodied the genre with "Disaster," and even considered getting Shelley Winters! But what that would have been way too over-the-top. So, I don't go for the cliche, which is kind of silly, and very 70s. It has some social commentary, and I "fell" for the romantic bit, and I usually don't. Go figure.

Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:44 am

Titanic is mine favorite movie . Because its real accident & love story .

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Jove wrote:I consider Titanic the most overrated film of all time by the sheer number of Oscars that it won. I do not mean that It' is a bad film. The love story is ordinary, even Douglas Sirk could have told it better. In the end it is the technical aspects that overcame the acting and the script and overwhelmed the viewing public.

What I couldn't understand is that, after all that research to get thing just right, they got things so wrong !

OK - they introduced a fictional little love story to spice things up a tad, but they also grafted fictional acts on some real people !

The named officer who was [initially] open to a bribe & then committed suicide was actually a real-life person !

And he did no such things !

The producers ended up paying a lump sum to his home town as 'compensation'.

Would have been a lot better to have used a fictional character for their re-writing of history in the first place !

Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:01 am

There will be another whole edition and most scenes will be redone.

Then 3D can be applied into the process of movie-making.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:02 pm

rjm wrote:...P.S. -- I kinda liked Titanic, and didn't expect to.... It has some social commentary, and I "fell" for the romantic bit, and I usually don't.
Go figure.

I went.

I figured.

You're just a sentimental old softie, aren't you ?

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:46 am

ColinB wrote:
rjm wrote:...P.S. -- I kinda liked Titanic, and didn't expect to.... It has some social commentary, and I "fell" for the romantic bit, and I usually don't.
Go figure.

I went.

I figured.

You're just a sentimental old softie, aren't you ?

:smt005

Believe it or not, you know I am, sometimes - embarrassingly so. (Manipulative films? I learned about that when I was - what? 11? I forget. I LOVED "Love Story." Read the book and everything. Boo-hoo'ed. And then this teenaged boy who worked in the coffee shop in the apartment building in Florida where we lived for a brief while set me straight for the first time. "It's not hip." Took me years to even grasp what he was saying, but I sure did. :wink: )

rjm
P.S. -- "Old." Whadaya mean "old"? LOL!!!

Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:18 pm

Great execution in the 3 D squeal and all creation and designing superbly shown in the movie.Love to watch all time because based of trouble love story and both characters done amazing job.

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:34 pm

...during every showing of TITANIC, the concession stands will be putting extra ice in all their refreshments.

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 am

elvisbot wrote:...during every showing of TITANIC, the concession stands will be putting extra ice in all their refreshments.

:smt018

You know, Dylan has a brand new song about "Titanic" coming out on his upcoming album! And it includes a lyric about "Leo." In the song, men are killing each other on the deck and stuff. "Brother against brother." He admits most of it didn't happen, but that you write what "should have" happened! Gonna take me a while to figure that one out.

rjm