Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Good Time Charlie wrote:I wonder if the same problem will occur on the upcoming Complete Masters Set. Now that would cause a stir.

The Masters set is Made in USA according to the blurb.

Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:24 pm

I got cds produced in USA,BMG special products.
This has the same problem as FTD cds.Looks like icechrystals in the cd. :cry: This is strange since i have cds from 1985 without any faults.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:56 pm

Just cleaned my copy of LET YOURSELF GO and I FOUND MY THRILL, i used some CD cleaning fluid and a lint free cloth, both came up perfect and both play fine.

I FOUND MY THRILL was in a pretty poor way with fogging all over the disc and had crystalised marks on it which came off after two attempts.

My advice would be not too panic as the problem can be easily treated.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:30 pm

Do you guys keep your CD's in the freezer? If so, that may explain the fogging and crystalizing phenomenons... :P

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Took I Found My Trill to a spin today and upon lookin at the disc I noticed the misty fog over the surface. I was browsing the old posts to see if I could
found something regarding this issue and found this topic. Someone here told that this was a reaction of the plastic with the glue.
What glue? The one used to hold the plastic tray where the CD lies or the glue used to hold the cover?
I also found out that most of the classic albuns seems to be kinda sticky ( the covers, not the discs) like if its melting or something. Did anyone noticed that too?
I found this to be very disturbing as I invested a lot on those CDs and keep them in the most prestine condition.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:09 pm

I totally freaked a couple of years ago out when I noticed some of my FTDs had fog on them. Like you, I have spent a fortune on these CDs and want to be able to play them 30 years from now. But then I noticed fog on other CDs by Grateful Dead and Roy Orbison, and they play fine, just like the FTDs do. So I hope the fog is nothing to worry about.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I totally freaked a couple of years ago out when I noticed some of my FTDs had fog on them. Like you, I have spent a fortune on these CDs and want to be able to play them 30 years from now. But then I noticed fog on other CDs by Grateful Dead and Roy Orbison, and they play fine, just like the FTDs do. So I hope the fog is nothing to worry about.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thanks for the reply Keith. After you noticed the fog did you tried anything to clean it or just let the way it was? Im afraid to damage the CDs using any kind of cleaning solution and Im not sure if water is safe in the long run ( because of chlorine).

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:39 pm

I have never heard or read about this before, and I got really scared to read this topic.
I checked my cd's and, as mentioned earlier in this topic, some of the older ftd's has a little fog on them, but I got really scared as I looked at my copy of I Found My Thrill. As no one has posted pictures of this before, I thought i would do that.
foundmythrill.JPG

The strange thing is, that I only bought "I Found My Thrill" about a year ago second hand. And I know I checked the disc at that time...

The theory with the glue reaction thing could be right, as I do not see this problem with the approx. 1500 jewel cased cds in my collection (not all Elvis) and some of them are from the 80's.

The digi packs have problems with the glue. On my copy of Burbank 68 the glue that holds the "CD holder" to the carton background as lost it's effect and is totally released from the carton now.. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Hmm... I'm not sure we have the same kind of fog! The fog on my FTDs doesn't come from the glue on the digipaks (I also have it on "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" which is a jewel case CD) and I don't think it can be rubbed off. The fog is like a weird, irregular pattern on the silved side of the CDs. It looks strange but so far it hasn't affected the CD in any serious way!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:55 pm

wow Allan, that looks nasty :shock:
Mine haves just a almost imperceptible fog, you only really see it when you hold the CD against light.
Now we really have a problem here that should be adressed if possible by the makers. Ernst, if you could please put your thoughts about it here...
What could be the possible causes of this?
Inveromental conditions seems to be out of the case since it is happen to collectors around the world ( I live in Brazil).
Could it be a combination of factors? A Reaction of the chemicals used in the production of ta defective CD and the glue used in the plastic holder?
Of maybe some chemical reaction to the carton, or the ink used to print wich would explain why some of them seems to be greasy, sticky.
The pattern on Allan´s CD seems to suggest that the problems starts from the center and spreas to the border

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Sergio Luiz wrote:wow Allan, that looks nasty :shock:
Mine haves just a almost imperceptible fog, you only really see it when you hold the CD against light.

I have that fog on several of the other cd's as well.

But these "crystallizations" you see on my "I Found My Thrill" CD, are mentioned by others earlier in this topic.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:10 pm

AllanDenmark wrote:Mine haves just a almost imperceptible fog, you only really see it when you hold the CD against light.

That's what I have too. The fog on Allan's CD looks brutal! :shock:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Here's my "Burbank 68" falling apart. The glue just gave up :lol:

burbank68.JPG

I bought this in 2000, shorty after it was released.

I store all my LP's, CD's, DVD's ect. in a small room with no windows, the room has it's own ventilation and thermoregulation. The temperature is always about 20 degrees Celcius. There is only light inside the room when you enter it, and we do not smoke... So I think the storage is not the problem :D

How does these cd's look 10 or 20 years from now?
I don't think I am a big fan of digi packs...

Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:50 pm

I checked some of the old titles i have on digipack format, some are 11 years old. So far none of them seems to have the fog. I checked both FTDs ( Jungle Room Sessions, One Night In Vegas. Closing Night) and bootlegs that have both cristal clear holders and commom plastic holders ( All Things Are Possible, Old Times Are Not Forgotten). I also noted the beggining of the fog on the plastic center of both Loving You and Elvis discs. I touched it, wich is something I never, ever do and it seems rougher than the plastic surface, kind of sticky too. I rubbed it gently with the tip of the finger and it came off.
Here´s a high resolution picture of the I Found My Thrill CD with the fog. Because of the light, it doesnt really shows the fog effect, but you can have an idea of the marks it left. Note the two long tringular shapes that comes from the center of the CD. There´s also a perfect circular mark on it that unfortunatly didnt come well in the picture

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 pm

AllanDenmark wrote:I have never heard or read about this before, and I got really scared to read this topic.
I checked my cd's and, as mentioned earlier in this topic, some of the older ftd's has a little fog on them, but I got really scared as I looked at my copy of I Found My Thrill. As no one has posted pictures of this before, I thought i would do that.
foundmythrill.JPG

The strange thing is, that I only bought "I Found My Thrill" about a year ago second hand. And I know I checked the disc at that time...

The theory with the glue reaction thing could be right, as I do not see this problem with the approx. 1500 jewel cased cds in my collection (not all Elvis) and some of them are from the 80's.

The digi packs have problems with the glue. On my copy of Burbank 68 the glue that holds the "CD holder" to the carton background as lost it's effect and is totally released from the carton now.. :?

Wow. That cd looks bad. None of my cd's are that bad. I haven't had any problems so far with the cd holders coming unglued on digipacks. But at least you can fix that.

Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:29 pm

One thing I noticed, is that I Found My Thrill was manufactured by Dicentia. The same goes for example Elvis classic album.
Other CDs from FTD were manufactured by Tocano

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 am

Sergio Luiz wrote:One thing I noticed, is that I Found My Thrill was manufactured by Dicentia. The same goes for example Elvis classic album.
Other CDs from FTD were manufactured by Tocano

It's the same company!

Tocano went bankrupt in 2001, but was able to rise again with new investors.
In February 2006 the two Danish companies "Tocano", "SDC Dandisc" and the Swedish "Digital Communication Media" join forces in a new company called Dicentia.
Dicentia was declared bankrupt in 2008... but they started business again with new investors in 2009...!

There may be more details to this, but you can google that yourself.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:28 am

I think all of you have this problem should contact Sony Music/FTD to first of all get a replacement copy
of damaged disc's and of cource an explenation to why your disc's have this kind of problem. As someone else said earlier a CD should last more than four years. When the CD media was introduced it was marketed to last a lifetime, now we know....I have the There's Alway Me Serie and a lot of FTD I will check my copies tomorrow.

For those of you with very rare disc's there are CD repair shops all over the world that can resurface a CD to
brand new condition.
I often buy and sell used CD's (all kind of artists) so I got me a CD repair machine that can take away small
schratches but also that kind of mist that are in the "first" grade. Don't know with the IFMT disc showed here.
But it works fine to take away finger prints, dirt small schratches, I even try to fix a CD that didn't play the
schratches didn't go away (it was really damaged) but it could play. Here is a link if you are intrested:

.ebay.com/itm/SIMO-CD-DVD-Video-Game-Resurfacing-Scratch-Removing-Repair-Machine-PS2-PS3-XBOX-/390389966280?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae50e25c8

Blue Boy

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13 am

Allan, thanks for the information and thank you blue boy for the link.
I sent an e-mail to Dicentia relating the problem. Let´s see if I get any answers.
Does someone have Sony/BMG e-mail adress? I went to sony music website but there´s only telephone numbers and I really doubt Sony´s office in Brazil will know what the heck is this problem.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:14 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

blue boy wrote:I think all of you have this problem should contact Sony Music/FTD to first of all get a replacement copy
of damaged disc's and of cource an explenation to why your disc's have this kind of problem Blue Boy

Replacement copy? :roll:. Some of the FTD cds have been deleted so that is not an option :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:46 am

Still some titles are in stock and at least they could be replaced, I think that even if some titles are out of print
there might be some stocks of the disc's at the record company, it is worth trying. What's more important is
the problem should be highlited to the FTD label so they can take action and not make the same misstake again.
If no one can find the proper way to inform Sony/FTD juts let's hope that Ernst read this topic.....I have no clue why this happens.

I'm in the process to rip my entire record collection to HD. I have a lot let's say 30 - 40 out of 900 CD's that looked "misty" and grey, all of them have come out as brand new when running them in my CD cleaner, still have about 2 000 to go so there might be more on the shelf. I haven't even begin ripping my Elvis collection, just some few albums like Country Elvis is Back both FTD.
There is hope but still Ernst should be informed so he can take action on this matter.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:45 am

Blue boy is right, we should make FTD aware of that, if they dont know yet.
I have absolutely no desire to make a backup copy of my CDs either to PC or burned CDs. For me is essential to browse the selections on the shelf, to pick a title and look at the tracklisting. To choose one, opening it and place it on the player. To listen do the music while looking at the cover, backcover, and the booklet. And because of that I have invested -just like everyone else of course- a lot of money and time thru the years. Im sorry about this rant but Im really frustrated to found out what happened to a CD that I took so much care and matters so much for me, as does all good Elvis products.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Do you guys really think that Sony is going to replace those cds? :roll:. Keep dreaming, this topic has been discussed for several years now and no one single action has been taken :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:24 am

my "I Found My Thrill" cd also had this problem, someone had suggested putting the disc silver side up just sitting out so it could get some light to it... that did take the crystalization away from it, its still a little cloudy tho. also my "Let Yourself Go" FTD had this same problem and i tried to do the same thing for that disc but it did not work... it still has crystalization all over the silver side.

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am

So - have anyone noticed the dreaded fog problem on recent FTD titles? I haven't checked mine. Let's hope it can only be find on older titles, and that no other FTDs will develop this awful disease! Like Mike Windgren said, this problem has been known for years, and we have begged for an explanation from Sony in order to calm us all down, but so far, we ain't heard a word, and I don't think we ever will.

it appears that "I Found My Thrill" is the worst example. I don't own that title (sorry Rob). Hopefully, albums like "Out In Hollywood" -- a favourite CD of mine that is also foggy but doesn't look nowhere near as bad as "I Found My Thrill" above -- will work 100% for many years to come. To be honest I don't think it will ever affect play. I've owned that CD for ten years and it plays just fine so far.

Like Segio I simply refuse to do any sort of back-up copies of my collection. It shouldn't be neccessary when you've spent a fortune on it. Burning CDs is dull beyond words, and owning them is no fun either!

For the record I once spent 130 EUR on a Grateful Dead boxset only to find that those CDs were foggy too. So it's not a problem exclusive for Elvis fans. And, yes, all those CDs play just fine.

Keith Richards, Jr.