Off Topic Messages

3-D Restoration

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:03 am

Deleted
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 3-D Restoration

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Dear friends,

As some of you know, I've been involved with 3-D preservation work for many years now. I've just joined the Home Theater Forum as their Golden Age 3-D consultant.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/31830 ... consultant

If you have any questions, fire away!

Congratulations, Bob !

What are the chances of finding old Elvis footage from the 'missing' 50s TV shows ?

And in colour, to boot !

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:20 am

Thanks Colin!

At this stage, highly unlikely. The only possibility would have been 35mm lenticular kinesopes of the Berle shows. Apparently, they don't survive.

I did find some Jerry Lewis specials in that format. If the new "Jazz Singer" release does well, those might get a restoration. It's VERY expensive!

Bob

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:37 am

How cool! I didn't know were in restoration, HoneyTalk! (I guess I've been oblivious)

I've been getting interested in 3D since I heard Warner was planning to release Blu-Ray's of House of Wax and Dial M for Murder. I've been reading up on the different processes they used, and although some of the technical talk goes over my head it's entirely fascinating. Most people have the mistaken idea that 50's 3-D was all the red/cyan glasses stuff, but from the fragments of House of Wax and Dial M I've gotten to see, it seems much more effective than what they're doing now in Hollywood.

Since you're in the restoration biz, do you think there's any chance the general public will get to see any other classic films in 3-D?

I'm particularly interested in stuff like Hondo, Taza, Son of Cochise, and Andre de Toth's The Bounty Hunter (which I understand was shot in 3-D late in the cycle, but only released in 2-D --though rumor has it Warner still has a 3D version).

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:46 am

Thanks King, I appreciate it!

All of the features from the 1950's were originally Polaroid. Some were later converted to red/blue anaglyph and they pale in comparison to the original versions. You're right, the quality of the 3-D photography is as good (if not better) than many of the contemporary 3-D releases.

I know Warners is working on Wax and Dial M. I'm not aware of any other studios prepping 3-D BR releases, unfortunately.

However, my Archive will be releasing some very exciting Golden Age material this year. Keep an eye on the HTF for updates!

Bob

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:52 am

Congratulations, Bob. I enjoyed reading your biography. The three-disc Sinatra Capitol Years release is one of my all-time favourite compilations. The rehearsal of One For My Baby, found on that release, is a sheer joy and was a true gem of a discovery. So for that, I thank you.

There was some discussion about 3D in cinema on one of the movie years threads -- both House of Wax and Dial M for Murder were brought up there.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:33 am

Thank you, it was a thrill finding that unknown performance. My brother Ron found another one called "Here Goes" that wasn't even listed in the performance logs!

Bob

Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:59 am

I'd like to second the motion I just read on the film forum: "it's an honor to have you here!"

rjm :smt006
::rocks

Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:26 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:However, my Archive will be releasing some very exciting Golden Age material this year. Keep an eye on the HTF for updates!

Bob

Sounds great! Will certainly do that!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:40 am

HoneyTalkNelson, I just read the interview you posted over on HTF, Great Stuff!

I was all set to ask about the status of about half a dozen films, when I stumbled onto the list of 3-D Expo titles you guys have done in the past, and my questions were answered; Taza, Gun Fury, Miss Sadie Thompson, Inferno, and The Stranger Wore A Gun all exist in 3D. Woo-hoo!

The work you have been doing with 3D stuff is just terribly important, and I can't thank you enough for your dedication to preservation. I think one of the most depressing statistics I've ever read is that 90% of the films shot in the silent era are lost. Film fans everywhere should be grateful you aren't letting the same thing happen with 3-D!

Have the studios been cooperative in these efforts? I certainly hope so.

I see that Paramount is teasing an upcoming Blu of Hondo. Any chance it's 3-D? (If you can't comment I understand, and respect that) If it's not I'm perfectly willing to start a letter writing campaign or something. It would be a terrible missed opportunity if not.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:48 am

What are your thoughts on the two 3-D films released on this package in 2009?

The Three Stooges Collection Volume Seven: 1952-1954
“Spooks” (July 1953)
“Pardon my Backfire" (August 1953)

I saw both at an SF movie festival many years ago. They were hilarious, and a little weird.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:49 am

Thank you very much for your nice words rjm and Kingofthejungle.

To answer your question: Paramount, MGM/UA and Universal were helpful in allowing new 35mm dual strip prints to be struck for the second Expo in 2006.

Unfortunately, the upcoming HONDO Blu-Ray will not be in 3-D. The film is outstanding in 3-D and it's a shame that despite the restoration, it will be released flat.

Dr. John: the two Stooges shorts were VERY gimmicky but are well photographed. The quality is quite good when seen in their original Polaroid format. Unfortunately, all of the anaglyph red/blue conversions - from the 8mm releases in the 1960's to the DVD release in 2009 - have been badly done. Hopefully, their next BR release will be in the superior Polaroid version.

Bob

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:51 am

Look forward to house of wax and The Creature from the black lagoon in 3d

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:58 am

There are no plans at the moment for a BR release but they are two of the very best.

WAX is one of the finest examples on film of effective stereoscopic cinematography. Martin Scorcese showed it to his crew before shooting commenced on HUGO. It's outstanding!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:59 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Dr. John: the two Stooges shorts were VERY gimmicky but are well photographed. The quality is quite good when seen in their original Polaroid format. Unfortunately, all of the anaglyph red/blue conversions - from the 8mm releases in the 1960's to the DVD release in 2009 - have been badly done. Hopefully, their next BR release will be in the superior Polaroid version.

Bob

Thanks Bob. It's sad to read the recent DVD did not make the cut.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Do you know if the original Gojira (AKA Godzilla 1954) could be release in 3D?

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:23 pm

mark wrote:Do you know if the original Gojira (AKA Godzilla 1954) could be release in 3D?

Unless I'm mistaken, Honda didn't shoot Gojira in 3D.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:47 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Thank you very much for your nice words rjm and Kingofthejungle.

To answer your question: Paramount, MGM/UA and Universal were helpful in allowing new 35mm dual strip prints to be struck for the second Expo in 2006.

Unfortunately, the upcoming HONDO Blu-Ray will not be in 3-D. The film is outstanding in 3-D and it's a shame that despite the restoration, it will be released flat.

It's good that at least some of the studios are stepping up to the plate to help out. Too bad about Hondo, what a wasted opportunity. I think I'm going to complain to Paramount about it.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:48 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Dear friends,

As some of you know, I've been involved with 3-D preservation work for many years now. I've just joined the Home Theater Forum as their Golden Age 3-D consultant.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/31830 ... consultant

If you have any questions, fire away!

Bob

Bob, this is fascinating.

The titles that you will be releasing this year, will they be the new Digital 3D playable on active and passive 3D TV's ?

Apologies if that's a silly question.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:17 am

Dan, we are still in the process of transferring and restoring our materials. At the point when we have a concrete distribution arrangement, I'll be sure to post that info to the HTF. Our plan is to make our restorations available in all current home viewing formats, as well as D-Cinema for theatrical.

GOJIRA was not in 3-D and I am not a fan of newly created 3-D conversions.

Bob

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:53 am

Fantastic !

Thanks, Bob !

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 am

Could you explain some the steps that are taken to convert 2D to 3D.
I also know that they did some of the 50's scifi movies in 3D. Are there planes to redo them?

Mon May 28, 2012 11:46 pm

Our new website is on-line. I hope you find it interesting!

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

Tue May 29, 2012 9:53 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Our new website is on-line. I hope you find it interesting!

Hi Bob,

Never mind the post I just deleted; I just saw where it said it doesn't use the "red/blue" 3D glasses. How would you watch the YouTube clips? They do have a 3D option, and I was using some standard 3D glasses from a 3D photography book. (Does YouTube issue suitable glasses?)

rjm

Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 am

rjm wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Our new website is on-line. I hope you find it interesting!

Hi Bob,

Never mind the post I just deleted; I just saw where it said it doesn't use the "red/blue" 3D glasses. How would you watch the YouTube clips? They do have a 3D option, and I was using some standard 3D glasses from a 3D photography book. (Does YouTube issue suitable glasses?)

rjm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he means he is restoring the 3D stereo images to HD without the 3D effect , the 3D meaning source only.