Chat talk and light discussion

Re: Last non-Elvis album you played

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 am

Great White - Hooked.

Some great Rock n Roll on it. 8)

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Greystoke on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:59 pm wrote:Tonight . . .

What a great Nat King Cole album (and cover). There were some great LP designs back then, alot of them on Capitol. Have you ever seen some of the Sam Cooke Keen albums? May be the nicest of all.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 pm

What a great Nat King Cole album (and cover). There were some great LP designs back then, alot of them on Capitol. Have you ever seen some of the Sam Cooke Keen albums? May be the nicest of all.

Nat Cole certainly had some great album covers, and the same was true of Sam Cooke`s albums on Keen, r&b. There's a lot to like and admire in a good album cover. Sinatra`s were often akin to works of art with a story to tell before you even hear what's on the album. And he was involved in the design of his album covers, too. Having the final say in this regard and creative input. This, right up to the 1980s when he asked Saul Bass to design the cover of his monumental triple-album, Trilogy: Past, Present and Future.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:22 pm

Greystoke on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:00 am wrote:
There was a nice focus on Freddie Mercury in the first part of Gregory Porter`s new BBC documentary, Gregory Porter`s Popular Voices. With contributions from Dave Grohl, Adam Lambert and Josh Homme on Freddie and Queen. The first part was very good and it promises to be a great series. Worth checking out if you missed it, norrie. It's on BBC4 at 10.00 pm on Fridays.

That show is pretty good, second episode was on the other day.

Someone should have told Gregory that he didn't need to attempt to wear every item of clothing from his wardrobe in the space of one show though :lol:

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm

goldbelt on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:00 am wrote:
There was a nice focus on Freddie Mercury in the first part of Gregory Porter`s new BBC documentary, Gregory Porter`s Popular Voices. With contributions from Dave Grohl, Adam Lambert and Josh Homme on Freddie and Queen. The first part was very good and it promises to be a great series. Worth checking out if you missed it, norrie. It's on BBC4 at 10.00 pm on Fridays.

That show is pretty good, second episode was on the other day.

Someone should have told Gregory that he didn't need to attempt to wear every item of clothing from his wardrobe in the space of one show though :lol:

They were a bit mixed up on the Sinatra chronology in the second episode, but it I've enjoyed both parts and Gregory is a good presenter. He's really getting around just now. His interview with Fern Britton on Sunday morning was really good and he's on Saturday Kitchen this weekend. And he's got a keen dress-sense as you've mentioned, goldbelt. I'm certainly a fan.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Some Gregory Porter tonight, after discussing him earlier. And a wonderful album. Although I've really been enjoying his latest release, Nat King Cole & Me. Which is a great companion-piece to Sammy Davis, Jr.`s Nat King Cole Songbook. And Nat`s own music, of course.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Greystoke on Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:06 am wrote:I'm loving J.Lo`s new single, Amor, Amor, Amor, which was released last week.

Thanks for the link! I'm not a big Lopez fan, but this is a damn fine song!

The last non-Elvis album that I played was this one:

It's sort of an odd one, with both the Ramas and SAW down to two members a piece, and it contains two of the absolute worst tracks either artist ever produced (You'll Never Know What It Means and I Could Be Persuaded), but I love, love, LOVE the other eight tracks. The album mix of More, More, More smokes the single version (and the original single as well), Give It All Up For Love is insanely catchy, and it's pretty interesting to hear the SAW sound with a bona fide string section.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:08 pm

Lady Gaga's Joanne. I have come to love that album. I think the single A Million Reasons is up for a Grammy as well.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:29 pm

r&b on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:08 pm wrote:Lady Gaga's Joanne. I have come to love that album. I think the single A Million Reasons is up for a Grammy as well.

Good album. I think it's on a par with her best work in many respects. And A Million Reasons is a real standout. John Wayne is incredibly catchy, too.

I'm looking forward to her working with Tony Bennett again and it will be interesting to see what she can do in a leading role with A Star is Born. Not forgetting that this is Bradley Cooper`s debut as a director. It's due for release in May next year.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:02 pm

20171128_233326.jpg

Joe Ely debut from 1977.I guess you would call it Tex-Mex.
A true Texas troubadour Joe is so cool having toured with The Clash and played with Bruce he's still going strong today
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 pm

Just now. Such a terrific album and a great cover.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:03 pm

Greystoke on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 am wrote:Just now. Such a terrific album and a great cover.

Greystroke you must have the broadest range of musical tastes on this forum, and kudos to you for that. Im sure some people hear only listen to pre-1964 music and mostly Elvis at that! To be honest, I cant get into LL, and other rap and r&b artists of the day, but I do like a lot of new music and am always exploring trying to find new sounds or old sounds that I have missed due to my tastes being narrow-minded years ago.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:16 pm

Possibly the greatest Metal album ever recorded.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:17 pm

r&b on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:03 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54 am wrote:Just now. Such a terrific album and a great cover.

Greystroke you must have the broadest range of musical tastes on this forum, and kudos to you for that. Im sure some people hear only listen to pre-1964 music and mostly Elvis at that! To be honest, I cant get into LL, and other rap and r&b artists of the day, but I do like a lot of new music and am always exploring trying to find new sounds or old sounds that I have missed due to my tastes being narrow-minded years ago.

I don't know about that, r&b. But thanks all the same. I guess I just don't mention who or what I don't like very often. But I do like a range of music and, like yourself, try to keep listening for something I've missed along the way. And this thread has been great for albums and artists alike being discussed in that respect.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Greystoke on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm wrote:

I don't know about that, r&b. But thanks all the same. I guess I just don't mention who or what I don't like very often. But I do like a range of music and, like yourself, try to keep listening for something I've missed along the way. And this thread has been great for albums and artists alike being discussed in that respect.

Well from what I read here, you may be. I discovered jazz classics about 10 yrs ago (Brubeck, Baker, Parker, M Davis) and really have enjoyed them. I never gave jazz much thought before, until my bro-in-law lent me some discs. I have learned here about some country albums I didnt know about, some Sinatra, some Garland, more Dinah Washington, and Timi Yuro(didnt know her stuff other than her 2 hits). I think I have turned some people on to some new stuff as well, so its all good and balances out. But I dont think head banging heavy metal or rap will ever find its way into my house lol. But keep posting your non-Elvis. You (and PMP) have made me buy a few things as well.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 am

I spun Butch Walker's "Stay Gold" while finishing up some work in my dorm earlier. It's one of my favorite albums of his. It's true rock, kind of a roots record for Butch. The title track, along with "Irish Exist" and "Ludlow Expectations" are some of my favorite songs he's ever done. I think it's well worth a listen for anyone interested in today's music (Butch is a well known producer on the pop/rock scene today)

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:29 am

r&b on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:56 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:17 pm wrote:

Well from what I read here, you may be. I discovered jazz classics about 10 yrs ago (Brubeck, Baker, Parker, M Davis) and really have enjoyed them. I never gave jazz much thought before, until my bro-in-law lent me some discs. I have learned here about some country albums I didnt know about, some Sinatra, some Garland, more Dinah Washington, and Timi Yuro(didnt know her stuff other than her 2 hits). I think I have turned some people on to some new stuff as well, so its all good and balances out. But I dont think head banging heavy metal or rap will ever find its way into my house lol. But keep posting your non-Elvis. You (and PMP) have made me buy a few things as well.

I don't know much Timi Yuro either, r&b, and I'm not the metal fan that Hard Rocker is. But I like some metal and hard rock groups. And I knew nothing of Butch Walker until SteamrollerBlues starting singing his praises on here. The same is true of norrie, who brings a lot of new names to my eyes on here. So it's all good, as you've said. And we all have our own favourites and likes, whether that's singers, groups or albums, and although we're all Elvis fans, maybe our other interests allows us to look at him and his music in different ways.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:29 am

I managed to get hold of this CD of two Della Reese albums over the weekend. They are great fun, with the Story of the Blues having the edge out of the two. Della gives a rather bland spoken introduction to each song (she's no Johnny Cash in that regard), but the music itself is brilliant stuff. St James Infirmary is particularly good.
Surprisingly good sound for her Jubilee period too, and some of the Pearly Bailey-like mannerisms had yet to develop by this point. I'm not totally convinced that the Mr Kelly's album is quite as "live" as it suggests. Having heard a few albums recorded there, the acoustics sounds much different, and the quality just a bit too good for the period. Perhaps I am just overly suspicious, but it certainly wouldn't be the first album from the late 1950s to say it's live when it isn't.

5127-dmnBYL._SX425_.jpg

Been on a bit of a spree, to be fair. I picked up a late Chet Baker album, called Crystal Bells, which finds him in a trio with just guitar and bass. This is repackaged - and with good reason, the original artwork was not exactly pleasant on the eye! It's a nice album, Chet is on trumpet - no singing, nothing world-shaking, but one of his better later albums for sure.

51EMGHDrHSL._SS500.jpg

Also, a 5CD set by Duke Ellington called The Birthday Sessions, capturing his dance band dates on his birthday in 1953 and 1954. This was a period when the band was somewhat in flux, and under contract to Capitol - not a marriage made in heaven. Capitol wanted short, commercial pieces. Ellington wanted to write lengthy suites. These dance band dates find a kind of middle ground, with some very satisfying long-form renditions of songs he was recordings for Capitol. It's not essential Ellington, but very nice all the same, in really nice sound for live recordings for the period, and certainly more accessible than a regular live album such as Newport '58, which I've always found hard work. On the Delta/Laserlight label too - who knew they released stuff of worth! - and liner notes by Stanley Dance. Laserlight also released "Cool Rock" around the same time, an album of unreleased studio material.

5103Wa0iqgL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by poormadpeter2 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:44 am

r&b on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:37 pm wrote:

I don't have a massive Nat Cole collection, but that album is just gorgeous, and the CD issue has six extra tracks, which, for once don't spoil the effect of the original LP.

I haven't played Where Are You for years, although it has the lovely I'm a Fool to Want You on it. She Shot Me Down is wonderful, though.

I'm looking forward to adding the new Ella live album to my collection at the weekend - although I'm not too sure how I feel about £17 for a single CD! But then it's only been sitting the vaults for sixty years!

zardis.jpg

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:54 am

Hazell Dean's 1988 album and Roy Orbison's lost 1969 album (released 2015)

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:17 pm

Lavay Smith And Her Red Hot Skillet Lickers, album “Miss Smith To You”.
Modern Swing music, fantastic, a mixture of classics and new songs.
C45964AD-3ECB-417D-ACA3-B557E41C58EE.jpeg

Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:55 pm

poormadpeter2 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:29 pm wrote:I managed to get hold of this CD of two Della Reese albums over the weekend. They are great fun, with the Story of the Blues having the edge out of the two. Della gives a rather bland spoken introduction to each song (she's no Johnny Cash in that regard), but the music itself is brilliant stuff. St James Infirmary is particularly good.
Surprisingly good sound for her Jubilee period too, and some of the Pearly Bailey-like mannerisms had yet to develop by this point. I'm not totally convinced that the Mr Kelly's album is quite as "live" as it suggests. Having heard a few albums recorded there, the acoustics sounds much different, and the quality just a bit too good for the period. Perhaps I am just overly suspicious, but it certainly wouldn't be the first album from the late 1950s to say it's live when it isn't.

5127-dmnBYL._SX425_.jpg

Been on a bit of a spree, to be fair. I picked up a late Chet Baker album, called Crystal Bells, which finds him in a trio with just guitar and bass. This is repackaged - and with good reason, the original artwork was not exactly pleasant on the eye! It's a nice album, Chet is on trumpet - no singing, nothing world-shaking, but one of his better later albums for sure.

51EMGHDrHSL._SS500.jpg

Also, a 5CD set by Duke Ellington called The Birthday Sessions, capturing his dance band dates on his birthday in 1953 and 1954. This was a period when the band was somewhat in flux, and under contract to Capitol - not a marriage made in heaven. Capitol wanted short, commercial pieces. Ellington wanted to write lengthy suites. These dance band dates find a kind of middle ground, with some very satisfying long-form renditions of songs he was recordings for Capitol. It's not essential Ellington, but very nice all the same, in really nice sound for live recordings for the period, and certainly more accessible than a regular live album such as Newport '58, which I've always found hard work. On the Delta/Laserlight label too - who knew they released stuff of worth! - and liner notes by Stanley Dance. Laserlight also released "Cool Rock" around the same time, an album of unreleased studio material.

5103Wa0iqgL.jpg

I am a fan of early Della Reese and will check those out.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:43 pm

poormadpeter2 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 pm wrote:
r&b on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:37 pm wrote:

I don't have a massive Nat Cole collection, but that album is just gorgeous, and the CD issue has six extra tracks, which, for once don't spoil the effect of the original LP.

I haven't played Where Are You for years, although it has the lovely I'm a Fool to Want You on it. She Shot Me Down is wonderful, though.

I'm looking forward to adding the new Ella live album to my collection at the weekend - although I'm not too sure how I feel about £17 for a single CD! But then it's only been sitting the vaults for sixty years!

zardis.jpg

Where Are You? is just a magnificent album. It's a big favourite of mine. As is She Shot Me Down. Which is still one of the best late-career albums by any artist, in my opinion. And it perfectly takes the concept apparent in Where Are You?, In the Wee Small Hours, Only the Lonely and September of My Years and moves that into later life.

I don't think I could want for a better series of albums from Sinatra in the 1980s than Trilogy: Past, Present and Future, She Shot Me Down and L.A. is My Lady. But just one more would have been nice. Although there isn't much to want from his career.

From the splendid 1981 television special, Sinatra: The Man and His Music.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:41 am

Proper Rock n Roll...

Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:45 am

Hard Rocker on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 pm wrote:Proper Rock n Roll...

My favourite AC/DC album love it.

norrie