Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Batman show 50th anniversary

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Me and a buddy watched some shows today :

Hi diddle riddle and the follow up show (the episode that started it all)

Fine feathered finks (Meredith first time as Penguin , prolly one of the scariest cliffhangers)

Instant Freeze (Sanders was by far the best Freeze , a crying shame he didn't return as Freeze)

The Joker goes to school (this might be my fav Joker show....Joker stooping even lower by recruiting teens to his crimes)

The purr-fect crime (another all-time classic with another hair raising cliffhanger. And I thought Monroe was a looker , lol)

Clock King (okay)

Wail of Siren (pre-Dynasty Collins as The Siren , considering how many weak ep's in season 3 it was a big shame she only did 1 show cuz this was pretty good)

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Batman show 50th anniversary

Post by Johnny2523 »

I've got the wonderful limited edition bluray set from 2014. 1 or two animated batman '66 movies will come out for the 50th anniversary (ofcourse voiced by Adam & Burt with julie newmar returning to voice catwoman)

http://www.slashfilm.com/animated-batman-1966-movie/
http://13thdimension.com/exclusive-julie-newmar-will-be-in-batman-66-animated-film/

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Great nostalgia esp since most of these actors are long gone now but they live on in media and in these autographs :)

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I received this series as a Christmas gift. Great memories.

JEFF d
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by JEFF d »

I got the season 1 dvd set for Christmas... I loved this show as a kid, its amazing to watch these episodes again.

JEFF d
EP fan

JEFF d
EP fan

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Some episodes are a chore though :

-Londinium 3-parter (holy torture rack , Batman....can't believe they wasted three freakin shows on this televised snooze fest :evil:

This could've been used for more important characters like Poison Ivy (Welch or Ann Margret could've worked)

-Archer
-Ma Parker
-Wallach as Mr Freeze seems toothless (at least Preminger had *some* menace.....but Sanders by far the best !)
-most s3 shows were mediocre , a far cry from s1 & s2...why couldn't Sanders-Freeze , False Face or Bookworm return :cry:

Gorshin sat down a few yrs before he passed and watched his Riddler shows , not surprisingly he was not a big fan of "Ring around Riddler" :|

I would've cancelled after s2 and made a new movie instead , with Batgirl as guest star & perhaps Bruce Lee as a new character.

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Amazing vintage items sgd by Newmar & Meriwether.....and a nice Batboat , too :smt004

r&b

Post by r&b »

Crazy campy show so hugely popular when I was in high school. Almost as popular as The Beatles and Stones. It was talked about after each new episode aired. They did get an amazing array of guest stars to appear. Adam, Burt, and Julie continue to do autograph shows every year across the country. Im still a Superman (George Reeves) fan though.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

After the superhero movie craze dies down I would like to see a more mature and serious Batman tv series. I don't know why the Adam West series was so campy and silly. The other superhero shows weren't as bad.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Greystoke wrote:
brian wrote:After the superhero movie craze dies down I would like to see a more mature and serious Batman tv series. I don't know why the Adam West series was so campy and silly. The other superhero shows weren't as bad.
The sixties Batman series was deliberately bad. It was created with a sense of camp fun, irony and silliness, partly because the production company behind the series (William Dozier`s Greenway Productions) didn't take it seriously. And partly through Batman evolving into something more accessible during various times throughout the fifties and sixties.

Originally, Mike Henry was in line to play Batman and the series was going to be more serious and true to the comic books. But he was one of many actors who has been very close to playing a superhero, only for plans to change. Nic Cage, for example, was set to play Superman in 1998, before Warner Bros. pulled the plug on production just weeks before filming. Cage is a big superhero and comic book fan (his surname is taken from Luke Cage, him being of the Coppola family) and fans of Adam West may want to check out his performance is Big Daddy in Matthew Vaughn`s brilliant Kick-Ass. In which he channels West in a hilarious performance. There's some Elvis music in this film, too, incidentally. An audacious use of An American Trilogy.

One thing about comic books and superhero characters, however, is that they usually move with the times, and whilst Batman was steered away from its roots as something darker and more troubled for television, the popularity of the series kept this character squarely in the public consciousness. Even after Batman was reclaimed in comic books into the 1970s. And it led directly to other live action superhero series, such as The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman and Spider-Man.

Batman, of course, has always been about the villains, too. And I don't think the inmates of Arkham Asylum and a psychopath Joker would have been palatable for primetime television in the 1960s.

With regards to the current trend for superhero films and comic book adaptations, I'm a big fan. There's lots of interesting projects in the works including more Batman films with Ben Affleck, the new Batman/Bruce Wayne, at the helm. But I also think Batman is suited for something episodic on television, although superhero franchises are amongst the biggest money-spinners with regards to cinema today. But D.C. just can't seem to bring the right ingredients together in the same way Marvel and Sony have. Which makes it imperative that Affleck take charge of Batman from script to screen for the Dark Knight`s next outing.

I disagree the TV series was "deliberately bad." At the beginning, it mixed camp with menace in just the right amount to create a nice tension between the good guys (Batman, Robin, Gotham City police) and the bad guys (villains). The late 1965 pilot, which became episodes one and two in January 1966, is an outstanding example of this, and remains just about my favorite hour of the series. Frank Gorshin is fantastic as the Riddler. However, at some point between seasons one and two, that balance was lost in favor of full-on camp, and the series dynamic and future suffered because of that decision.

I've never heard of athlete-turned-actor Mike Henry being considered for the series. My understanding is that it came down to Adam West versus Lyle Waggoner, and West won the part. During some searching, there is a suggestion that Henry was perhaps considered for the motion picture that appeared between seasons one and two, back when that film was supposed to be the first thing released to the public. But there is no source.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0377947/bio#trivia

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:After the superhero movie craze dies down I would like to see a more mature and serious Batman tv series. I don't know why the Adam West series was so campy and silly. The other superhero shows weren't as bad.
The show Gotham is excellent. More about Jim Gordon, but you see the origins of a young Bruce Wayne, Catwoman and how villains like The Penguin and Riddler got their start. If you are into Batman at all, you will like it.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:
The show Gotham is excellent. More about Jim Gordon, but you see the origins of a young Bruce Wayne, Catwoman and how villains like The Penguin and Riddler got their start. If you are into Batman at all, you will like it.
That show is a cop out. I want the real Batman damn it.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

r&b wrote:
I watch the show and think its great too. The only exception is that i think its becoming too violent/bloody ever since the second season.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

They say the quality dipped when Semple no longer was involved in the scripts , mid-way season 2. Still s2 has many good shows imo.

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Lydia Limpet has joined Bookworm in the great Bat Cave in the sky , Francine York died :cry:

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rickeap »

I've been going through the Blu Ray set and enjoying the memories. The documentaries are also very enjoyable.

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

35 yrs since King Tut left us.......

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

Finally I can reveal this holy grail I got which should've arrived by x-mas :D

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:..

Finally I can reveal this holy grail I got which should've arrived by x-mas :D

It looks like a dream come true.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Tang Lungs side kick

March 14th , 1968 : final episode :(