Chat talk and light discussion

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Fri May 09, 2014 1:38 am

jak wrote:
greystoke wrote:
jak wrote:
greystoke wrote:
jak wrote:I've been on a Kirk Douglas kick lately. He's one of my top favorites. Every time I watch one of his films I always think to myself, now there is a movie star.

Kirk is one of my favourite actors, too. Always has been. I had planned and looked forward to a screening of Paths of Glory yesterday, but transport was against me and I couldn't make it. So disappointing!

Another great film to be sure,Im sorry you missed it. Im certain youve seen Lonely Are The Brave. It's supposed to be one of Kirk's personal favorites I believe. I wish it would get a proper release on blu ray.

Lonely Are the Brave is a marvellous film, one of Kirk's finest in every way. I have this on Blu-ray, incidentally. Koch Media released this region free in Germany a year or so ago. It looks really good and comes in a lovely digibook with an essay and great photos. I can't read German, though. Still, I guess Eureka or Arrow may pick this up at some point, but this release is as good as it may get for this film.

I wasn't aware it had a German release. I will see if I can track it down. I especially like digibooks. Thanks for mentioning this.

Another German-released Kirk Douglas film on Blu-ray that's worth seeking out is Explosive Media's Man Without a Star. This is a gem of a western that has been treated to a fine release on Blu-ray.

Fri May 09, 2014 4:49 pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

Michael Caine demonstrates a superb comic turn and Steve Martin is, well, Steve Martin. I love this movie, as do the stars. It is a fun movie that stands the test of time. To criticise would be nitpicking in my opinion.

Fri May 09, 2014 7:13 pm

a few all together....
American Gangster
Men in Black 3
Milk
Wall Street (money never sleeps)
The Firm
No Country for Old Men

Sat May 10, 2014 12:09 am

memfisking wrote:
Bob-Holland wrote:"Sincerely yours, ...

Great, great movie.

Totally agree! The only movie ever I watched twice in a row.
I was 18 when that movie came out, and it really hit the nerve (obviously).

A movie that is still as strong as it was almost 30 years (what???) ago.

Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 am

Bought my first new release DVD's for ages-12 Years a Slave and Inside Llewyn Davis.I do usually buy Coen Brothers films as most do warrant repeat viewings and their latest certainly lives up to the critical plaudits it received.Brilliantly acted with a flawed but interesting main character and a great supporting cast of Coen weirdos.Superbly written and staged with great music it's one of their best.
12 Years a Slave was everything I hoped it would be.It makes for uncomfortable viewing for sure with the whole sense of injustice making me both angry and sad,a couple of scenes had we wiping my eyes to be honest.It's all well handled by the director Steve McQueen and the acting is spot on from all the cast.The cinematography is also superb,it may be a shocking, brutal disturbing story but its also beautifully shot.

norrie

Wed May 28, 2014 1:57 am

norrie wrote:Bought my first new release DVD's for ages-12 Years a Slave and Inside Llewyn Davis.I do usually buy Coen Brothers films as most do warrant repeat viewings and their latest certainly lives up to the critical plaudits it received.Brilliantly acted with a flawed but interesting main character and a great supporting cast of Coen weirdos.Superbly written and staged with great music it's one of their best.
12 Years a Slave was everything I hoped it would be.It makes for uncomfortable viewing for sure with the whole sense of injustice making me both angry and sad,a couple of scenes had we wiping my eyes to be honest.It's all well handled by the director Steve McQueen and the acting is spot on from all the cast.The cinematography is also superb,it may be a shocking, brutal disturbing story but its also beautifully shot.

norrie

I don't have either on DVD or Blu-ray yet, but both are very good movies, especially 12 Years a Slave. Which is a modern cinematic masterpiece, in my opinion. Whilst Inside Llewyn Davis reveals more on repeated viewings -- I've seen it twice now. It's rich with subtext and Davis is certainly a complex, if quite an aloof, character.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:13 pm

Sorry to say but Lincoln bored me to death. Surely well crafted and acted but those were some long two-and-a-half hours.

That said I pre-ordered "The Time Machine" on blu-ray! :D

Was about to watch it again a couple of weeks ago but now I decided to wait until the end of July. I really hope Warner even improved the picture and sound quality.