Chat talk and light discussion

Oscar nominations

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Here's the Oscar nominations that just came out. Am I the only one who has not seen any of these movies? :roll:

Elvisly,

Linda

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

Re: Oscar nominations

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:23 pm

I've only seen (and have on dvd in the meantime) this one..

The Broken Circle Breakdown

Belgium

Foreign Language Film /

If there ever was a story who's world turns you upside down, it's this one: it's brilliant.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 pm

lovin' EP wrote:Here's the Oscar nominations that just came out. Am I the only one who has not seen any of these movies? :roll:

Elvisly,

Linda

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

You're not alone. I've just been too busy to get to the cinema. There are several well-regarded films and actors nominated this year, too.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:04 pm

Meryl Streep is nominated. Well, there's a surprise. I think she only has to sign a contract to do a film and the nomination gets made automatically. Talk about favouritism.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:13 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Meryl Streep is nominated. Well, there's a surprise. I think she only has to sign a contract to do a film and the nomination gets made automatically. Talk about favouritism.

Have you seen her performance? Maybe the nomination is justified.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Meryl Streep is nominated. Well, there's a surprise. I think she only has to sign a contract to do a film and the nomination gets made automatically. Talk about favouritism.

Another series of petty comments. Why be so jealous of talent? Streep is by any measure a top-tier actor, but has actually been nominated 18 times since 1978, winning 3 Oscars. That means she averages a nomination every two years.

Streep has lost 14 of those times (the 15th is still open). Gee, quite a lot of "favouritism" there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Meryl_Streep#Academy_Awards

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 pm

The past year has been tremendous for cinema and this is very much reflected in this year's Oscar nominees. American Hustle and Gravity lead the field with the most nominations, having garnered ten each. Both are fine movies, the former being a triumph of style and persuasive acting over substance, whilst the latter is a remarkable science fiction film that's visually arresting and directed with real panache. The most challenging and visceral film nominated, however, may be Steve McQueen's extraordinary 12 Years a Slave. With nine nominations, the story of Solomon Northup could possibly sweep the board, and very much deserves to. Whilst, conspicuous by their absence are Tom Hanks, Emma Thompson and Robert Redford, all of whom I thought would be contenders for acting Oscars -- Hanks, for both Captain Phillips and Saving Mr. Banks, Thompson for Saving Mr. Banks and Redford, for the engrossing, All is Lost. But there's stellar performances in every acting category; Chiwitel Ejiofor stands out for Best Actor, although I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club, so can't say anything about Matthew McConaughey's Golden Globe-winning performance here. Although, I have a soft spot for Bruce Dern, who was wonderful in Nebraska. I think Cate Blanchett will win Best Actress for Blue Jasmine, whilst her co-star, Sally Hawkins, was equally good here. She may win Best Supporting Actress, but Jennifer Lawrence is so very good in American Hustle, although it's difficult to overlook Lupita Nyong'o's achingly poignant performance in 12 Years a Slave. Incredibly, this was her big screen debut, as was Captain Philips for Barkhad Abdi. He was devastatingly good here, but Michael Fassbender's performance in 12 Years a Slave is masterful and frightening in equal measure. I was surprised to see Blue is the Warmest Colour miss out in the Best Foreign Language Film category, whilst I also expected to see the Saudi Arabian film, Wadjda, nominated here. I haven't seen every film in this category, but rate The Hunt very highly. There's too many categories to go through individually, but it's good to see Before Midnight nominated for Adapted Screenplay and the harshly underrated The Lone Ranger in the Visual Effects category, although Gravity is bound to win here.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Another series of petty comments. Why be so jealous of talent? Streep is by any measure a top-tier actor, but has actually been nominated 18 times since 1978, winning 3 Oscars. That means she averages a nomination every two years.

Streep has lost 14 of those times (the 15th is still open). Gee, quite a lot of "favouritism" there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Meryl_Streep#Academy_Awards

That's 4 gongs nonetheless (equal to Katherine Hepburn's record, I believe), so yes, quite a bit of favouritism.

Anyone who follows the Oscars knows that, for the most part these days, they are about a particular type of film. Films made purely with entertainment in mind rarely get a look in, and neither do comedies...unless they have a "message" to put across. The same people get nominated each year in the acting categories mostly because they continue to make the types of films that the voters approve of, not because they are better or worse than anybody else (and Streep fits in there). There are, of course, exceptions to these generalisations, but for the most part it is true. It has to be said that the Best Picture category this year has a wider range of films than normal, but I doubt this is likely to be part of a new trend.

Until the Oscars revisit the idea that a film can still be great cinema without driving home a message or being a heavy drama or being "important", the awards will continue to become less and less relevant. I didn't agree with some of the choices for best film in the 1990s, but at least in wins for Titanic and Shakespeare in Love there was a nod to "entertainment value" rather than gravitas.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:53 am

Academy members can only vote on what's been forwarded for nomination, though. So regardless of what type of film is in contention, voters don't seem to make choices on posterity or trends, simply what's current, relevant and - in their opinion - worthy of being an Oscar winner. There's always going to be serious, deliberate and thematically rich films nominated for Oscars, but lighter and more entertainment-driven films are often present -- American Hustle, Gravity and even The Wolf of Wall Street typify just that. And with the Best Film category once again widened, in recent years, we've seen animated films like Up and Toy Story 3 nominated, along with family-friendly pictures like Hugo, Avatar and even Life of Pi. But the Oscars, for movie fans, observers and those involved will mean different things to different people and can often divide opinions. That's good, because it's opinions that make the Oscars, whilst, at its core the Oscars are always celebration of the movies. And I think that's always evident on the night. Although cynics may disagree and debate will rage over right and wrong . . . But that's just my outlook on a night I look forward to every year.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Oscar? CouldnĀ“t care less....