Chat talk and light discussion

Amazons' 100 Best Selling CDs of all time

Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:36 pm

Amazon(USA) has posted their 100 best selling CDs of all time. I could not find one Elvis CD in there. There are older artists in there like Beatles( the most), Cash(several), 4 Seasons, CCR, Bennett, but not even Elvis 30 #1s? It must be that Elvis just has too many titles in his catalog with overlapping songs and it just confuses the consumer. Any one title just doesnt sell enough to qualify. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... 31&ie=UTF8

Re: Amazons' 100 Best Selling CDs of all time

Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:37 pm

There's some great albums on that list, which is very diverse. It's good to see Cash, Bennett and Miles Davis on there. I own around a third of those CDs, maybe closer to forty, in fact.

Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:00 pm

of the 100 featured we have 23 of them

Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:08 pm

It's an interesting list and one that is probably more diverse than we might expect. Who would expect soundtracks to be so high on the list? But the fact that Elvis isn't on the list shows just what a slump in his popularity there has been in recent years.

I think the absence of Elv1s is due to the fact it was released 10 years ago when we were buying many more albums on the high street rather than through the likes of Amazon - although that doesn't account for the extended Cash Folsom Prison album released in 1999, for example. But because Elvis has a new greatest hits album each year, an album such as Elv1s is replaced by something else whereas Folsom Prison remains in the catalogue and was only recently superseded by the Legacy edition (although I still prefer the 1999 version for listening pleasure).

It's amazing just how popular Michael Buble has become. I think I counted 4 titles by him on the list. It's also interesting to note just how many albums on the list fall into the country or easy listening genres - perhaps it makes more sense now why Elvis at Stax was received so warmly. It also shows that there is probably a certain age group who buy CDs and a certain age group that doesn't. Despite there megastardom, there is nothing on the list by one direction or Justin bieber for example - presumably because more of their fans buy downloads.

Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 pm

poormadpeter wrote:It's an interesting list and one that is probably more diverse than we might expect. Who would expect soundtracks to be so high on the list? But the fact that Elvis isn't on the list shows just what a slump in his popularity there has been in recent years.

I think the absence of Elv1s is due to the fact it was released 10 years ago when we were buying many more albums on the high street rather than through the likes of Amazon - although that doesn't account for the extended Cash Folsom Prison album released in 1999, for example. But because Elvis has a new greatest hits album each year, an album such as Elv1s is replaced by something else whereas Folsom Prison remains in the catalogue and was only recently superseded by the Legacy edition (although I still prefer the 1999 version for listening pleasure).

It's amazing just how popular Michael Buble has become. I think I counted 4 titles by him on the list. It's also interesting to note just how many albums on the list fall into the country or easy listening genres - perhaps it makes more sense now why Elvis at Stax was received so warmly. It also shows that there is probably a certain age group who buy CDs and a certain age group that doesn't. Despite there megastardom, there is nothing on the list by one direction or Justin bieber for example - presumably because more of their fans buy downloads.

I agree. The people that still buy CDs are not buying Elvis CDs, especially new releases. Elvis Is Back Legacy and FEIM Legacy both received pretty good promotion and rave reviews in Rolling Stone and other publications. Neither one sold much.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:37 am

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:It's an interesting list and one that is probably more diverse than we might expect. Who would expect soundtracks to be so high on the list? But the fact that Elvis isn't on the list shows just what a slump in his popularity there has been in recent years.

I agree. The people that still buy CDs are not buying Elvis CDs, especially new releases. Elvis Is Back Legacy and FEIM Legacy both received pretty good promotion and rave reviews in Rolling Stone and other publications. Neither one sold much.

Kind of. Remember that they can't sell as much because there have been so many editions of them during the CD era - add all those editions together and you'd have pretty good sales, but each one separately doesn't amount to much. FEIM was released during the CD era on The Memphis Record, the Suspicious Minds anthology, then under its own name in the 90s, 2000. 2009 and then on FTD. Each one counts separately for a list of albums such as that by Amazon.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:27 am

poormadpeter wrote:
r&b wrote:

Kind of. Remember that they can't sell as much because there have been so many editions of them during the CD era - add all those editions together and you'd have pretty good sales, but each one separately doesn't amount to much. FEIM was released during the CD era on The Memphis Record, the Suspicious Minds anthology, then under its own name in the 90s, 2000. 2009 and then on FTD. Each one counts separately for a list of albums such as that by Amazon.

Yes that is what I meant in my first post. The catalog has too many titles/reissues. FEIM is a great album. Abbey Road is a great album. Look at the differences in each of their number of releases.

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:29 am

keninlincs wrote:of the 100 featured we have 23 of them

Who are "we" ? You and Freddie Starr ? :lol:

norrie

Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:50 am

r&b wrote:Amazon(USA) has posted their 100 best selling CDs of all time. I could not find one Elvis CD in there. There are older artists in there like Beatles( the most), Cash(several), 4 Seasons, CCR, Bennett, but not even Elvis 30 #1s? It must be that Elvis just has too many titles in his catalog with overlapping songs and it just confuses the consumer. Any one title just doesnt sell enough to qualify. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_391310_103218270_pe_button/?docId=1001818331

People need to exercise a bit more scrutiny here. There's something funny about this list.

Robert Plant's Raising Sand album sits at #4?

Susan Boyle's two album releases at #2 and #12?

Tony Bennett's Duets and Duets II at #15 and #28, respectively?

No way are these rankings appropriate for the claim "Amazons' [sic] 100 Best Selling CDs of all time."

Maybe the list is meant to be "Amazon's 100 Best Selling CDs in the past 5 Years."

Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:Amazon(USA) has posted their 100 best selling CDs of all time. I could not find one Elvis CD in there. There are older artists in there like Beatles( the most), Cash(several), 4 Seasons, CCR, Bennett, but not even Elvis 30 #1s? It must be that Elvis just has too many titles in his catalog with overlapping songs and it just confuses the consumer. Any one title just doesnt sell enough to qualify. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=pe_391310_103218270_pe_button/?docId=1001818331

People need to exercise a bit more scrutiny here. There's something funny about this list.

No way are these rankings appropriate for the claim "Amazons' [sic] 100 Best Selling CDs of all time."

Maybe the list is meant to be "Amazon's 100 Best Selling CDs in the past 5 Years."

I confess the Bennett albums surprised me too, but there's no reason to suspect Amazon of somehow fiddling the numbers - and nothing for them to gain by that. The Plant album, however, went Platinum within six months and sold 112000 copies in its first week in the USA. As for Boyle, her first album has sold 9 million copies.

Obviously more recent albums are going to rate higher on Amazon. I'm not sure when Amazon came into being, but lets say 2000. Albums sell most when first released in the main. Sales have transferred more and more to the web from the high street in recent years. So, out of a million selling album released in 2003 and another released in 2007 and another in 2012, the 2012 is likely to score higher on Amazon's charts - more people were buying music online at the time of the release when it sold most copies.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:06 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:People need to exercise a bit more scrutiny here. There's something funny about this list.

I confess the Bennett albums surprised me too, but there's no reason to suspect Amazon of somehow fiddling the numbers ...

Who is suggesting that? My post clearly states the page is mistitled.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:People need to exercise a bit more scrutiny here. There's something funny about this list.

I confess the Bennett albums surprised me too, but there's no reason to suspect Amazon of somehow fiddling the numbers ...

Who is suggesting that? My post clearly states the page is mistitled.

No, it suggests the page is mistitled. I simply made the point that it isn't, but is skewed to modern-day releases because its a list of best-selling releases on amazon, not best selling releases across the board.

Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 am

Nice list, some great cd's of bands & singers i like !!!