Chat talk and light discussion

Intended tone of this forum

Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Was the original intent of this board to be only for serious discussions about Elvis, especially the "All Elvis" section ? I’m just curious. I joined this board a few years ago simply because I have always been a fan of Elvis. By my post-count, one can see I don’t spend a lot of time posting, but a fan nonetheless.

I ask because it seems like a lot of questions get treated as being too silly for comment.
I have been a member of several other boards of various topics over the years and it seems like there is always room for questions that are not so serious; they are often a lot of fun.

I was on a Johnny Cash forum for a while, and ever so often, someone would ask why he wore black. It was always discussed each time, and would often reveal new items and opinions each time. Nobody ever posted, “Oh, he wore black? Where’s your documents that prove it?” There were always a lot of “What if” questions and song comparisons that were well received.

I’m not complaining. I just wasn’t around when this board was created and perhaps missed the original intent. It just seems to have a serious tone that I don’t notice on some forums. No need to start a thread here called, “Why and when did Elvis stop greasing his hair?” That would be too silly.

Re: Intended tone of this forum

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:28 pm

I joined FECC in 2006 and it sure has changed since then. It was a lot of fun and the board was much more active than it is now.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:59 pm

@showfan...I totally understand what you are saying but i Joined the board this year so i don't know how it was before..

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:10 pm

showfan wrote:Was the original intent of this board to be only for serious discussions about Elvis, especially the "All Elvis" section ? I’m just curious. I joined this board a few years ago simply because I have always been a fan of Elvis. By my post-count, one can see I don’t spend a lot of time posting, but a fan nonetheless.

I ask because it seems like a lot of questions get treated as being too silly for comment.
I have been a member of several other boards of various topics over the years and it seems like there is always room for questions that are not so serious; they are often a lot of fun.

I was on a Johnny Cash forum for a while, and ever so often, someone would ask why he wore black. It was always discussed each time, and would often reveal new items and opinions each time. Nobody ever posted, “Oh, he wore black? Where’s your documents that prove it?” There were always a lot of “What if” questions and song comparisons that were well received.

I’m not complaining. I just wasn’t around when this board was created and perhaps missed the original intent. It just seems to have a serious tone that I don’t notice on some forums. No need to start a thread here called, “Why and when did Elvis stop greasing his hair?” That would be too silly.

The board started as a place to discuss collecting Elvis Presley CDs ("For Elvis CD Collectors Only"), official and otherwise. Since then, it has expanded to cover all aspects of the man, his music and career.

It seems to me "All Elvis" is self-explanatory, and other sub-forums make similar sense ("Off Topic," "Chat Talk"). The discussions are informed by the input of the members, which may mean rich, invigorating and insightful discussion, or questions like "what If Elvis starred in the TV series "Dallas?"

In general, there are some very intelligent members here who want to know more about the man and his music, and superficial subjects quite rightly go by the wayside more often than not. Humour is also in abundance, which is always welcome. There are plenty of other Presley-centric forums for "silly" topics, poems, recipes, eta debates, YouTube links, and praising the jumpsuit years.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
showfan wrote:Was the original intent of this board to be only for serious discussions about Elvis, especially the "All Elvis" section ? I’m just curious. I joined this board a few years ago simply because I have always been a fan of Elvis. By my post-count, one can see I don’t spend a lot of time posting, but a fan nonetheless.

The board started as a place to discuss collecting Elvis Presley CDs ("For Elvis CD Collectors Only"), official and otherwise. Since then, it has expanded to cover all aspects of the man, his music and career.

It seems to me "All Elvis" is self-explanatory, and other sub-forums make similar sense ("Off Topic," "Chat Talk"). The discussions are informed by the input of the members, which may mean rich, invigorating and insightful discussion, or questions like "what If Elvis starred in the TV series "Dallas?"

In general, there are some very intelligent members here who want to know more about the man and his music, and superficial subjects quite rightly go by the wayside more often than not. Humour is also in abundance, which is always welcome. There are plenty of other Presley-centric forums for "silly" topics, poems, recipes, eta debates, YouTube links, and praising the jumpsuit years.

Correct, DJC. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the jumpsuit years - at least, from 1970-1973. After that, he should have abandoned them.

Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm

There are fun topics here! Gosh, there's even a "naughty" one for big boys. ;)

rjm (meaning it's adults-only, with a warning)

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:06 pm

rjm wrote:There are fun topics here! Gosh, there's even a "naughty" one for big boys. ;)

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

These days that's the only one still interesting.

Too many "what if......" topics or people whining they got banned elsewhere or their favorite site is offline.
Did I mention the too many people whining about all the bad deals Parker made, resulting in Elvis still being the best selling artist 36 years after his untimely death? :smt003

Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:41 am

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
rjm wrote:There are fun topics here! Gosh, there's even a "naughty" one for big boys. ;)

These days that's the only one still interesting.

Please, spend all your FECC time there.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: there are some very intelligent members here

Cheers doc very kind of you to say so !!! :wink: :lol:

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:21 am

rocknroller wrote:

Your avatar says it all.

8B5AC36170624852BA8565E8FC0A1D3A.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Your avatar says it all.

8B5AC36170624852BA8565E8FC0A1D3A.gif

It is very cool !!!

Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:21 pm

rocknroller wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Your avatar says it all.

It is very cool !!!

Oh, it says a lot about you, that's for sure.

Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Your avatar says it all.

It is very cool !!!

Oh, it says a lot about you, that's for sure.

Go on then your the doc tell me ???