Chat talk and light discussion

Are you a "Night Person" or "Day Person"?

I am in love with night, and proud of it!
40%
I am an early riser, and glad of it!
40%
I have to get up in the morning for a day job, and I hate it.
20%
I have insomnia, and it stinks.
No votes

Total votes : 5

Night Or Day: A Poll

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:11 am

Many people here are involved in the music business, or involved in music, in some way or another. We have actual musicians, songwriters, engineers, mixers, etc. People who actually create music, and they tend to work at night. We also have people who write about music, or who are professional critics or musicologists, or music researchers. All such people are involved in "the business" in one way or another Many love it. But maybe not everyone.

Now, if you are a pure fan, and have no work interests at all that relate to music, still go ahead and vote! I'm curious. But everyone should try to explain, if they wish to. I would like to see how this business of music affects the life of the people who both create and (or semi-)professionally appreciate it.

If you choose to elaborate, tell your stories about you, and the night.

Many of you recall this quote from Bobby Kennedy's (ironically) after-midnight speech about his slain brother at the 1964 Democratic Convention. (LBJ tried to keep him off of "prime time." But he got a large audience, nonetheless.)

And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.

William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 2

phpBB [video]

Thanks. This should be interesting.

rjm
P.S. -- I kept my vote from contaminating the results, but while I love the night, it exhausts me eventually, so I'm not proud of it.
Last edited by rjm on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Night Or Day: A Poll

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 am

Early riser, can't help it. Not a big fan of sleep at all, to be honest, I'd happily stay awake full time if it was possible.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by George Smith on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:18 am

Not a fan of the dark,vision is very poor without daylight so thats my reason

Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:16 pm

George Smith wrote:Early riser, can't help it. Not a big fan of sleep at all, to be honest, I'd happily stay awake full time if it was possible.

phpBB [video]

How beautiful!

Yes, it is often lovely first thing in the morning, but it's not an experience I have had all that often: only when necessary. Only when I must. Which is a loss. The dawn is beautiful -- for a change of pace.

I think I fell in love with night as a young child, actually, but it's a complicated relationship. I would love to be able to sleep at a reasonable hour, but unless I must, I find it next to impossible. I fight with the night, loving it, yet knowing I will suffer for that "love" in the morning. I am most creative at night, by far. I doubt I have ever created anything of real value in the daylight.

But when you have a job to do on only two hours sleep, you curse the night.

Only to fall in love again with the next moonrise.

I liked the morning when I was an older teen, but in a different way, because I could finally sleep peaceably upon hearing the garbage trucks, and the road traffic pick up at first light. We lived off of Scott Blvd. In Atlanta, very noisy, and I found the noises of dawn put me off to sleep. School nights were a real drag. In college, I set my own erratic schedule.

Elvis loved the night, of course. I don't think it was just circumstance; he loved to seranade the moon. It's in so many songs, and he spoke of it. Odd, but when he died, it was summer, and I was keeping an identical schedule. And for several years after that.

I found his songs about the night very comforting. I always imagined him walking the banks of the Mississippi, alone in the moonlight, hearing "Blue Moon," HIS "Blue Moon" in his mind's ear.

Hope to hear more stories! :D

rjm
P.S. - I understand, Ken. The night frightened ancient peoples due to the dangers hiding in the dark. It's one reason we have Halloween this time of year. My favorite time of year.

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:57 pm

I get up early even on the weekends. This is also the time I love to listen to something in my Elvis collection. Before dark, lit candle, cup of coffee, headphones on.

Early bird, maybe, but still haven't caught that damned worm.

Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:28 am

I get up every weekday morning by 3 am to start my day. On the weekends I usually sleep in until 4:30 am which is a treat. No alarm clocks on the weekend. I just can't break the habit of getting up early,even on my days off.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:14 pm

George Smith wrote:Early riser, can't help it. Not a big fan of sleep at all, to be honest, I'd happily stay awake full time if it was possible.

phpBB [video]

I was having a conversation about sleep the other day. My brother and I were speaking about how some people seem to love sleep and relaxing, while others seem to view sleep as more of a burden, but something that we just have to do. That sounds like you.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:30 pm

showfan wrote:

phpBB [video]

I was having a conversation about sleep the other day. My brother and I were speaking about how some people seem to love sleep and relaxing, while others seem to view sleep as more of a burden, but something that we just have to do. That sounds like you.

Yup, I never stop, to be honest, and I'm happy with that. If I could channel my sleep time into reading a book or watching a movie, I'd do it. I have no problem sleeping but it just seems such a waste of my life.
Last edited by George Smith on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:43 pm

George Smith wrote:
showfan wrote:

phpBB [video]

Yup, I never stop, to be honest, and I'm happy with that. If I could channell my sleep time into reading a book or watching a movie, I'd do it. I have no problem sleeping but it just seems such a waste of my life.

Interesting. I don't overdo sleep, because i have a job like everybody else, but i can say that I enjoy sleeping. I love the relaxed feeling when i first wake in the morning. I never set the alarm the the exact moment that I have to get up, but earlier to consciously enjoy the relaxation.

Do you get up as soon as you awake and stay up as long as possible at night?