Chat talk and light discussion

Moving house

Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:36 pm

Today we finished cleaning the home we have lived in for the past 18 years, getting it ready for settlement tomorrow. Tomorrow, the new owners will take it over. We have already moved to a new house we have built.

The reason I'm writing is that I am really surprised at how sad and emotional I am about the whole thing. This is the house where we brought our babies home, where they had all of their "firsts", where we spent countless hours with friends, where the laughter of children echoed everywhere.

The house we've moved to, though much more spacious and luxurious, does not feel like home. My kids don't care about floorboards and high ceilings - they miss their old carpet and teddy bears strewn throughout their rooms. I miss coming home to it, and the feeling of belonging you get from being in a place you know so intimately.

Has nobody else been through this and felt similar emotions? I'm really stunned by my reaction but surely I'm not the only one!

Re: Moving house

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Good luck with the move.

My girlfriend and I are hoping to move into our first house together in a month or so.

Exciting / stressful / worrying times!

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:11 am

They will always have a home they remember as their childhood home. Not everyone can say that. I can't even count, not off-hand, how many places I lived growing up. I think I felt most at home when we stopped at a Holiday Inn between moves. Only place that looked the same.

They are very blessed. And it seems, so are you! :D

Welcome to your new home! I'm sure it will bring you many new happy memories, as your kids go through new phases of life, and all sorts of happy occasions happen in your new home. Don't worry: you'll never forget the first one, and neither will they.

rjm

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:26 pm

Thank you so much, rjm. You are, of course, absolutely right. Looks like you had a very eventful childhood - I hope the memories are happy ones.

Londonflash, that first home s always the most exciting - I wish you many years of happy memories.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:23 pm

Just fill your new home up with Elvis stuff, let his voice come through the speakers and his image on your tv.... Surely it must feel like home in an instant! What me and my wife did anyway....:-)

Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:56 pm

mick967 wrote:Thank you so much, rjm. You are, of course, absolutely right. Looks like you had a very eventful childhood - I hope the memories are happy ones.

Londonflash, that first home s always the most exciting - I wish you many years of happy memories.

Thank you.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:Just fill your new home up with Elvis stuff, let his voice come through the speakers and his image on your tv.... Surely it must feel like home in an instant! What me and my wife did anyway....:-)

Absolutely brilliant point!

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 pm

We built and moved into a new home in 2003. We were very excited about the new house. As it was being built, we often stopped by just to see the progress. We would be watching television at night and then just take off to drive by the new house. Once the house was finished and we were ready to move in, the excitement really kicked in until the old house was empty and we left for the final time. We looked in the kids rooms with lumps in our throats because this was where they had lived while growing up. We lived there for 15 years. Our son was 4 when we moved in and our daughter had just turned 1. It was hard to hide the tears as I locked and closed the front door for the final time. Memories of birthdays and Christmases will never die.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing. We now have grandchildren in the new house and the memories are currently in the making. The new house (now 10 years old) has been a Godsend.

You will adjust and be just fine. Someday, the things you are doing in your new house will also be memories. Make the most of them while you can.

Enjoy your new home -- and count your blessings.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Rob wrote:We built and moved into a new home in 2003. We were very excited about the new house. As it was being built, we often stopped by just to see the progress. We would be watching television at night and then just take off to drive by the new house. Once the house was finished and we were ready to move in, the excitement really kicked in until the old house was empty and we left for the final time. We looked in the kids rooms with lumps in our throats because this was where they had lived while growing up. We lived there for 15 years. Our son was 4 when we moved in and our daughter had just turned 1. It was hard to hide the tears as I locked and closed the front door for the final time. Memories of birthdays and Christmases will never die.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing. We now have grandchildren in the new house and the memories are currently in the making. The new house (now 10 years old) has been a Godsend.

You will adjust and be just fine. Someday, the things you are doing in your new house will also be memories. Make the most of them while you can.

Enjoy your new home -- and count your blessings.

Thank you Rob. Your description of what you went through is EXACTLY what happened to us. Excitement during the building process, sadness when the realisation dawned that we were leaving our kids' first home behind.

I'm reassured by your experience. Who knows what the future holds, but we will do our darnedest to create happy memories in the new house. It doesn't feel like home yet but it's on its way I guess ( new houses sure make a lot of noises at night though!).

Thanks for the encouragement. There's not a day that goes by where I don't count the blessings I've been given. It puts it all in perspective.