Chat talk and light discussion

Took a step back and moved on

Fri May 17, 2013 10:34 pm

My phone ring is Funny How Time Slips Away.
The " Well hello there " beginning of the song works great to grab my attention to my cell.

Today though. Someone in the office commented on hearing it by saying,
" Oh, your into oldies ? "
I responded with just, " it gets my attention ".
Now... I'm not one of those people that sets their phone ring volume up high
so they can perceive themselves as being cool in front of others as they glance to figure out whos phone
that is that is ringing that way. I'm quite modest with that.

But what bothered me was having it referred to as OLDIES.
Its a cheapening observation of someones idea of him. I think.
I couldn't bring myself to get into a conversation with them in how it was insulting to think Elvis
was in anyway grouped up with the other entertainers from that era.
That the masses now refer to as the OLDIES.

Have I now turned into that lady in our office that always seems to bring up her religion and faith
into every single conversation that she involved in and then have others comment behind her back on how a flake she really is.
I don't want to be like that and won't be like that as I get older.

So I took a step back and moved on.

Do you guys think he falls into the OLDIES category ?

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Fri May 17, 2013 11:35 pm

"Oldies" is an easy, generic term to describe anything not recorded or released in the past 5-10 years. It's a misnomer to be sure, as a great song is a great song, no matter when it came out or when you may have fallen in love with it, but people with a superficial interest in popular music often reach for such adjectives in casual conversation.

Elvis, given this, is definitely an "oldies" artist.

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Fri May 17, 2013 11:42 pm

Don't feel badly.

Many a New York area record store carried his music in the "Oldies" or "Male Vocalist" section in the 1970's!

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Sat May 18, 2013 1:23 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Don't feel badly.

Many a New York area record store carried his music in the "Oldies" or "Male Vocalist" section in the 1970's!


Maybe they heard Elvis' comments about New York engineers.

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Sat May 18, 2013 7:50 am

There's a really simple way to avoid this. I just set my ring tone to sound like a phone ringing. :smt001 :mrgreen:

People who don't know music are liable to say ANYTHING, and if you enjoy the ringtone, don't let any of it bother you, I'd say. Look, I know people who have George Takei's spoken "Oh Myyyy!" as a ringtone, and it has gone off in the restroom! Now, if THEY don't care, why should you? It's your phone; enjoy it.

rjm

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Sat May 18, 2013 4:03 pm

rjm wrote:There's a really simple way to avoid this. I just set my ring tone to sound like a phone ringing. :smt001 :mrgreen:

People who don't know music are liable to say ANYTHING, and if you enjoy the ringtone, don't let any of it bother you, I'd say. Look, I know people who have George Takei's spoken "Oh Myyyy!" as a ringtone, and it has gone off in the restroom! Now, if THEY don't care, why should you? It's your phone; enjoy it.

rjm


I have also done this but now I have a dilemma because mine is set as an old fashioned bell type phone, Should I upgrade to a more modern Brrrrrrrr Brrrrrrr tone or stick with my Ring ring one ?


Alan.

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Sat May 18, 2013 6:20 pm

I do whatever I like. It's not my problem people know so little about music.....
If I would have to take into account every person's feelings, knowledge, idiotic religious rules, et cetera I'd not have time to do my day job.

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Sun May 19, 2013 4:03 am

Ifeelthebreezenow wrote:


Do you guys think he falls into the OLDIES category ?


Yes I do.....and so what :?: .....Oldies, and certainly Elvis music is great. IMO everyone should be proud of being a fan of real and great music.......

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Fri May 24, 2013 5:25 am

Well he hasn't recorded anything since 1976, so yeah, that's pretty old by ones standards.

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Mon May 27, 2013 3:44 am

Ifeelthebreezenow wrote:My phone ring is Funny How Time Slips Away.
The " Well hello there " beginning of the song works great to grab my attention to my cell.

Today though. Someone in the office commented on hearing it by saying,
" Oh, your into oldies ? "
I responded with just, " it gets my attention ".
Now... I'm not one of those people that sets their phone ring volume up high
so they can perceive themselves as being cool in front of others as they glance to figure out whos phone
that is that is ringing that way. I'm quite modest with that.

But what bothered me was having it referred to as OLDIES.
Its a cheapening observation of someones idea of him. I think.
I couldn't bring myself to get into a conversation with them in how it was insulting to think Elvis
was in anyway grouped up with the other entertainers from that era.
That the masses now refer to as the OLDIES.

Have I now turned into that lady in our office that always seems to bring up her religion and faith
into every single conversation that she involved in and then have others comment behind her back on how a flake she really is.
I don't want to be like that and won't be like that as I get older.

So I took a step back and moved on.

Do you guys think he falls into the OLDIES category ?


I think you have to realise that a man who would be 78 if he were alive is going to fall into the oldies category. He hasn't recorded a song in 36 years, how do you expect people to see his music as relevant today when, to be honest, it's not? And why shouldn't he be grouped with other artists of his era? To take him out of that context means that you think Elvis created his music in a vacuum, completely oblivious of what was happening around him both musically and socially - which was not the case.

You don't need to have the blessing of other people to like what you like.

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Mon May 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Willie Nelson is older, and his classics are relevant today. Bob Dylan just turned 72, and his classics are relevant today.

Heck, Louis Armstrong's greatest work is relevant today.

You can label it whatever you want, but fine music is always relevant. Some people feel "oldies" is a pejorative, but I love K-RTH. Loved it 26 years ago, when I first visited here, and still do. A lot of people feel the same.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Tue May 28, 2013 10:49 pm

rjm wrote:Willie Nelson is older, and his classics are relevant today. Bob Dylan just turned 72, and his classics are relevant today.

Heck, Louis Armstrong's greatest work is relevant today.

You can label it whatever you want, but fine music is always relevant. Some people feel "oldies" is a pejorative, but I love K-RTH. Loved it 26 years ago, when I first visited here, and still do. A lot of people feel the same.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2


No, that music isn't relevant today. It's relevant to US today, perhaps. But times have moved on, the youth have moved on and got their own new idols. Elvis CDs are reaching number 60 in the chart and selling a few thousand - if they're lucky. Around a dozen of his albums are out of print at retail level. A book on the most historically interesting part of his career, the Sun years, had to be printed and sold privately because it was not deemed marketable. Elvis is not relevant.

Re: Took a step back and moved on

Wed May 29, 2013 1:54 am

I was talking to a 45 year old guy the other day. To him, Johnny Cash is way more relevant just because of those albums he made later in life and covering songs by Nine Inch Nails. He said there was no comparison between Cash & Elvis as far as to who cut better songs. He couldn't give a hoot about Elvis' work in the 70's. He didn't know much beyond The Wonder Of You and Burning Love, but if he did, I doubt he would think most of the work was relevant today.