Chat talk and light discussion

Any tour company in Nashville that focuses on Elvis?

Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm thinking of maybe going, for the first time, to Memphis late this summer and then maybe taking the Greyhound to Nashville.

I've been trying to find a tour company in Nashville that has a tour that focuses on Elvis, but without any luck. So if anyone know of any then please let me know.

The sights in Nashville I would like to see are, Studio B of course and then Ryman Auditorium, Ernest Tubb Record Store, Hatch Show Print, Music City Walk of Fame and Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum (which I understand, that you buy one ticket for that and the Studio B as well; so one ticket for two attractions). Seeing the Parthenon as well would be a nicely included bonus.

I was really rather hoping to not renting a car - also; I intend to visit Cleveland for an hour (there's a one hour stop in Cleveland while riding the Greyhound back to New York - if I remember correctly, seeing as how Greyhound's site is down at the moment) and would an hour be enough to see everything Elvis related at the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame?

Re: Any tour company in Nashville that focuses on Elvis?

Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:34 pm

There is not a tour company that focus' on the Elvis sites in Nashville that I'm aware of.

The sites you listed are the only ones left to see Elvis related. Others have been torn down, i.e.: the building where Elvis recorded his first records for RCA including "Heartbreak Hotel".

You are correct in that the RCA Studio B tour is included with the Country Music Hall of Fame Tour. They will take you over to Studio B via shuttle from the Hall of Fame.

Everything else (Ryman, Walk of Fame, Hatch, Ernest Tubb's) is within walking distance from the Hall.

The Parthenon is not though.

One other Elvis related site is Colonel Parker's office, which is still there, and is in Madison (North of Nashville).

Nashville is the State Capitol of Tennessee, so seeing the historic State Capitol building is essential as well.

Send me a message when you are coming and I will meet you and show you around.

I love to show off Nashville!

Hey maybe I should start my own Nashville touring company! :wink:

RKS

Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:26 pm

bilde.jpg

Actually, now that I think about it, the Tennessee State Capitol IS Elvis related as he once visited there in 1961.

RKS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I'll be heading to Tennessee in late August (after Elvis Week), hopefully, so I'll probably take you up on your offer! :lol:

I never knew Elvis visited the state capitol, so that's clearly worth visiting (and thank you so much for the picture - I've never seen it before) ...and it's pretty near every other Elvis related sights, so that's very good. :D

I've once seen, in Google Maps, the office the Colonel used in Madison and boy is it small. You wouldn't happen to know what it is used for today (if it hasn't been torn down)? Perhaps it's worth a visit.

In Memphis I'm going to try and tour with Mike's Memphis Tours ..and I was also thinking of asking him to show me around in Nashville, but there's no mention of Nashville on his homepage, so it perhaps would have been a long shot to try to get a tour with him in Nashville :wink: Alternatively I would have booked a sightseeing tour around Nashville and then asked the driver before to be so kind as to point out the Elvis related sights I mentioned above.

That being said, I don't understand why EPE don't offer tours around Memphis, to Circle G and Tupelo (and for those that want it, to Nashville); even offer tours in Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Then again, if I were Jack Soden there would be so many things done differently.

Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:22 pm

The office in Madison is now an attorney's office. Last I saw it was still there.

Seriously - contact me when you arrive and I' ll show you around town.

RKS

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:26 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:The office in Madison is now an attorney's office. Last I saw it was still there.

Seriously - contact me when you arrive and I' ll show you around town.

RKS

I absolutely would love have you showing me around town. As the plans stand now I'll arrive in Nashville on August 27th at 9:05 AM at 709 5th Ave South and I fly out of Nashville at around 5 PM.

I'll pm you as the date draws closer :D

Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:50 am

Cool!

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:16 am

I've meant to post this for many days now - but I pm'ed you and I have to say I panicked quite a lot when I didn't get a reply; thinking a lot of "what if" situations at potentially being with out a tour guide in Nashville and thus having prepared very little for the visit to do my own sightseeing :)

Remarkably I found that there's a tour company that has a tour that focuses on Elvis in Nashville, and so I went with them and have a tour booked. But again, thank you very very much for the offer

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Just saw this - check your PM.

RKS

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:00 pm

I was there in June. Nashville overall, is a much nice city than Memphis. Better restaurants, better hotels, and just plain prettier. Its a very happening city compared to Memphis. If you can, try and is it it. To answer your question, yes. The Country Music Hall of Fame tour, with the Studio B addition is the best Elvis related tour. The Studio B tour is great. You get to sit at the piano that Elvis warmed up on before he recorded. You get to hear several songs in the studio as Elvis would have heard the playback. You get to see the recording equipment, the spot where he would have stood while recording. It was a great tour IMO. My wife who is a very casual fan, loved it.

Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:10 pm

If you can, try and is it it. To answer your question, yes.

Not sure what you are saying.

RKS

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:21 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
If you can, try and is it it. To answer your question, yes.

Not sure what you are saying.

RKS

Typo. Meant to say if you can, try and get there. Also want to mention the Johnny Cash museum in Nashville. There is a room dedicated to Sun artists, and I saw some great stuff there including the original recording contract for Heartbreak Hotel with a great Elvis signature. I have to learn to type slower!

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:16 pm

Mr. Powers,

So how was your trip to Nashville?

Any pictures?

RKS

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:36 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Mr. Powers,

So how was your trip to Nashville?

Any pictures?

RKS

It was rather fantastic; but I still can't quite wrap my head around the fact that I've actually, and finally, been to Graceland. But I tried to bulk-upload af few photos from Nashville onto this webpage, and hopefully it should work. It takes a rather long time, but let me know if it doesn't work

http://www.use.com/DCXVP

Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm glad you had a fantastic time!

Did you get to see everything you wanted to see in Nashville?

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

RKS

Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:18 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Did you get to see everything you wanted to see in Nashville?

Oh yeah, two full days of seeing everything I could and wanted

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:20 pm

Mr. Powers wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Did you get to see everything you wanted to see in Nashville?

Oh yeah, two full days of seeing everything I could and wanted

Did you get to Studio B?

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:54 pm

r&b wrote:Did you get to Studio B?

Oh yeah, picture number 20 is from there

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:22 am

Tennessee State Capital?

Tom Parker's office?

RKS

Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:07 am

Tennessee State Capitol

Tom Parker's office

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:05 pm

The Capital picture looks like a "drive by shooting" of it! :lol:

The picture of Elvis in front of the Capital in 1961 was taken on the other side.

RKS

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:04 pm

I'll have to check sometime if Elvis ever went inside the Capitol Building, but sometime I'll probably visit Nashville again (especially since I would love to meet Scotty Moore) and then take it from the correct side :)

But had almost forgot about this picture, one where a guard shouted at me for taking ;) ....I've just always wanted to see what was on the other side

But I'm somewhat surprised, although by not much :wink: , that there isn't a tour company that focuses on Elvis on the west coast of USA

Updae on September 20th: I see now that the streetview feature in Google Maps shows you behind the wall in the Meditation Garden
Last edited by Mr. Powers on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:04 am

Yes Elvis did go inside the Tennessee State capital. He spoke from the Speaker's podium. There is an audio recording floating around somewhere.

Cool shot of behind the Meditation Garden!

Thanks for sharing!

RKS