Chat talk and light discussion

Belt Buckles

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:03 pm

In the 50's Elvis mainly wore his belt buckle to the side, I always assumed that the reason for this was so that it didn't damage the back of his guitar. However I am currently watching the 1950's US TV show 'Leave it to Beaver' and note that Wally Beaver always wears his buckle that same way.

Maybe one of our American cousins could confirm if this was a general teenage fashion, in the US, at the time.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Belt Buckles

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:49 am

Chris Roberts wrote:In the 50's Elvis mainly wore his belt buckle to the side, I always assumed that the reason for this was so that it didn't damage the back of his guitar. However I am currently watching the 1950's US TV show 'Leave it to Beaver' and note that Wally Beaver always wears his buckle that same way.

Maybe one of our American cousins could confirm if this was a general teenage fashion, in the US, at the time.

Thanks for any input.

Tony Dow ("Wally Cleaver") likely wore the buckle to the left side on the program because he'd seen photos of cool people like Elvis doing it. It was an affectation based on seeing brighter stars doing same.

Elvis did indeed turn his buckle to preserve the finish on his guitar (although he had custom-made leather covers pretty early on), but it's certain he caught on that it looked cool, too.

Re: Belt Buckles

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks Doc for your reply, I do realise it is Wally 'Cleaver' and not Beaver, my brain just doesn't always work right!! 'Leave it to Beaver' is a great show and must be one of the very few top US shows that were'nt broadcast in the UK at the time of original broadcast.

The 4 main leads were all great in there parts as was Ken Osmond as Eddie. Incredible that the lovely Barbara Billingsley only died recently. A class programe that is equally as good as 'My Three Sons' and 'Ozzie and Harriet'