Chat talk and light discussion

Wind Farms and generators

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:30 am

Well it would appear that after years of polluting the air in Scunthorpe we are now embracing nature and going green,with an array of wind turbines.They look majestic on the horizon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Wind Farms and generators

Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:28 pm

Do you like the look really?

Lots of people down here are doing their nut about proposals to erect a load of 'em - even the off shore ones!!

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:15 pm

No G i dont ,but they do look majestic.there is a fair bit of annoyance here,that they put them up,they have been stopped from doing more,but are appealing.its weird the Steelworks here pollutes the sky daily .and the poiticians say that it is their bit to clean the air,and save us from pollution.Joannes Mum and Dad live very close to them and are part of the comittee to stop them erecting more.they are a distraction to drivers too

Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Personally I have no problem with them, as long as they are sensible about how many they put on the same site. Look at your 1st picture. Surely they are more pleasing to the eye than the butt ugly pylons that blot the landscape everywhere!!

In this age of Gloabal warming/carbon footprint reducing I think we have to bite the bullet and go for it with these and the tidal generators too. We cannot afford to be too prissy about mediocre landscapes!!

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:30 pm

BigredG wrote:Do you like the look really?

Lots of people down here are doing their nut about proposals to erect a load of 'em - even the off shore ones!!

Not as photogenic as the old-time windmills !

But certainly no worse to see than the electricity pylons that proliferate the landscape.

And greener, too !

Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:09 am

ColinB wrote: Not as photogenic as the old-time windmills !

But certainly no worse to see than the electricity pylons that proliferate the landscape.

And greener, too !

Exactly!! I think we have to go for this type of energy generation 100%.

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:37 pm

I think I read somewhere months ago that it was really expensive, I wonder how many you'll need to be really productive.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:53 am

Francesc wrote:I think I read somewhere months ago that it was really expensive, I wonder how many you'll need to be really productive.

Once they are built & erected, there are minimal costs.

And they will produce virtually free [& green] electricity for years & years......................

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:13 am

What happens if there's no wind? Is there some type of electrical storeage system or are you just sh*t out of luck until the wind kicks up?

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:00 am

ColinB wrote:
Francesc wrote:I think I read somewhere months ago that it was really expensive, I wonder how many you'll need to be really productive.

And they will produce virtually free [& green] electricity for years & years......................

* The tall towers and blades up to 90 meters long are difficult to transport. Transportation can now cost 20% of equipment costs.
* Tall HAWTs are difficult to install, needing very tall and expensive cranes and skilled operators.
* Massive tower construction is required to support the heavy blades, gearbox, and generator.
* Reflections from tall HAWTs may affect side lobes of radar installations creating signal clutter, although filtering can suppress it.
* Their height makes them obtrusively visible across large areas, disrupting the appearance of the landscape and sometimes creating local opposition.
* Downwind variants suffer from fatigue and structural failure caused by turbulence when a blade passes through the tower's wind shadow (for this reason, the majority of HAWTs use an upwind design, with the rotor facing the wind in front of the tower).
* HAWTs require an additional yaw control mechanism to turn the blades toward the wind.
* Kill thousands of birds a year, some of which are rare or endangered.

Source: Wikipedia

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:29 pm

Pete Dube wrote:What happens if there's no wind? Is there some type of electrical storeage system or are you just sh*t out of luck until the wind kicks up?

The idea is to have wind farms in different parts of the country.

When there is no wind in one area, another farm carries the burden.

There isn't a time [in the UK] when there's no wind anywhere !

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Francesc wrote:
ColinB wrote:

* The tall towers and blades up to 90 meters long are difficult to transport. Transportation can now cost 20% of equipment costs.
So ? We are talking about a long-term solution here.
* Tall HAWTs are difficult to install, needing very tall and expensive cranes and skilled operators.
So ? See above.
* Massive tower construction is required to support the heavy blades, gearbox, and generator.
Ditto.
* Reflections from tall HAWTs may affect side lobes of radar installations creating signal clutter, although filtering can suppress it.
Ditto.
* Their height makes them obtrusively visible across large areas, disrupting the appearance of the landscape and sometimes creating local opposition.
But think how the landscape will look if global warming continues for long enough...
* Downwind variants suffer from fatigue and structural failure caused by turbulence when a blade passes through the tower's wind shadow (for this reason, the majority of HAWTs use an upwind design, with the rotor facing the wind in front of the tower).
Face them upwind, then !
* HAWTs require an additional yaw control mechanism to turn the blades toward the wind.
So ?
* Kill thousands of birds a year, some of which are rare or endangered.
Not proven,,,,,,,,,,, but even if true, perhaps a small price to pay to save the planet..........

Source: Wikipedia
Nuff said..............

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:33 pm

Other problems are that they make a heck of a noise. I'm not against them but I don't think they can substitute fuel energy with this.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:05 pm

I first saw them as I drove from Yosemite to San Francisco in 1999 - I thought they were way cool up on those hills!!

I see one on the M4 near Reading which supposedly powers a whole Business Park.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:06 pm

ColinB wrote: So ? We are talking about a long-term solution here.

What's the point? We are all gonna die in 2012 when the poles shift anyway.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:46 pm

the ones on the picture power a local industrial estate too

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:36 pm

BigredG wrote:I first saw them as I drove from Yosemite to San Francisco in 1999 - I thought they were way cool up on those hills!!

I see one on the M4 near Reading which supposedly powers a whole Business Park.

Yes there are many there. Isnt Yosemite fantastic? They should put them there.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:55 pm

Francesc wrote:Yes there are many there. Isnt Yosemite fantastic? They should put them there.

Yes Yosemite was very pretty. I like Yellowstone better though - man I could happily spend a month there!!!

I think a few wind turbines atop El Capitan is just what Yosemite needs :wink:

Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 am

BigredG wrote:
Francesc wrote:Yes there are many there. Isnt Yosemite fantastic? They should put them there.

Yes Yosemite was very pretty. I like Yellowstone better though - man I could happily spend a month there!!!

I think a few wind turbines atop El Capitan is just what Yosemite needs :wink:

Lol yeah ! Yosemite is two hours from my home. Too bad is always really full of people. one day I'll go to Yellowstone. TI is going to take more than 2 hours ...

Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:49 am

Francesc wrote:Lol yeah ! Yosemite is two hours from my home. Too bad is always really full of people. one day I'll go to Yellowstone. TI is going to take more than 2 hours ...

Yellowstone must be 3 days hard drive away? Well worth it though!! Makes Yosemite seem like a State Park :lol:

We were on a 5 week driving tour of 5,500 miles - man that was some trip (and 1 of 3 in USA)