Chat talk and light discussion

Last concert you attended

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:22 pm

I thought there used to be a thread like this but I can't find it anymore. Similar to the movie thread but about live concerts you saw.
I saw two really great shows this week so I thought I'd share them with you.

On Wednesday Dale Watson played in the local venue and his support act was James Intveld which made it an exciting double bill for me.
The only song I really knew by James was 'I Came All the Way from Memphis'. But he did the soundtrack for Cry Baby and wrote a big hit, 'Crying Over You' for Rosie Flores, anyway enough for me to instantly like the guy. Sure enough he gave a great show, albeit a short one.

Next came Dale Watson. I love him, very cool guy with a great voice. You can tell he plays in bars almost every night, nothing fazes him, he can do any song people ask for making it seem real easy. He has been singing for over twenty years and had a great songbook to choose from.Not only his own songs but also from heroes like Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and Elvis. He did Viva las Vegas as an encore with James Intveld, needless to say it was a riot 8) He played my request "DragNFly'too, which was pretty cool. If he comes to a place near you, check him out!

BTW the videos aren't mine, I was much closer to the stage 8) I went home very happy with two signed CDs and hugs from both guys :smt007
Hope you enjoy
Last edited by Pink&Black on Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Last concert you attended

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:33 pm

I've only been to one concert this year, although I've got a few planned for November and December (Elvis with the RPO, Jennifer Lopez, and Andre Rieu). I saw Gregory Porter a few months ago and thought he was just terrific. His band was really good, too. And they got plenty of opportunity to shine, with some long and varied instrumentals and solos. But Porter is so good. As was Kandace Springs, who supported him and completely won me over.

Nice post Pink&Black. I'm not familiar with James Intveld or Dale Watson`s music. Those are great clips, though.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:20 am

Last concert i attended was Elvis On Stage in 2014
While the band was great and i liked that alot of songs that werent in the previous shows with the tcb band were featured the sound was way too loud and almost killed my ears.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:07 pm

Last one I went to...

PIL9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:18 pm

I think my last concert was Cher at the Gwinnett Arena here in Atlanta. I saw Sonny and Cher many years ago at the Omni in Atlanta and thoroughly enjoyed their show. I always loved their TV show. I guess for sentimental reasons I went to see Cher when I heard she was retiring.

FYI, my last Elvis concert was in Macon, Georgia, on June 1, 1977. :(

Elvisly,

Linda
Last edited by lovin' EP on Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:25 am

Los Pacaminos. That old guy in the hat is Paul Young (for those who were wondering!).

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:42 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:Los Pacaminos. That old guy in the hat is Paul Young (for those who were wondering!).

I would have never recognised him! Didn't know he was in a band. He is playing over here in the Netherlands this month but I believe that's his solo stuff. he was everywhere for a time in the 80's.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Last concert i attended was Elvis On Stage in 2014
While the band was great and i liked that alot of songs that werent in the previous shows with the tcb band were featured the sound was way too loud and almost killed my ears.

Will you be going to the Rotterdam RPO concert? I am still undecided. Not a big fan of the RPO treatment but seeing Elvis on the big screen is always wonderful.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Last saturday I went to a local hero. Dutch members may know him, he plays in a tv show on football (soccer). I have seen him a couple of times live and it is always a blast. He writes his own material and has some 5 or 6 cds to his name. He channels the likes of Elvis, Johnny Cash, Chris Isaak, Roy Orbison but is still very much an artist in his own right. This clip is a medley of covers in a request segment of the show

the singer and a happy fan 8) 8)

Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:02 pm

The last concert i went to was (Elvis The Concert) In Manchester it was amazing i been twice to this concert, got to shake hands with the great James Burton!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:26 am

Pink&Black wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:Los Pacaminos. That old guy in the hat is Paul Young (for those who were wondering!).

I would have never recognised him! Didn't know he was in a band.

Great show. The band pin you to the wall with the blast! Paul Young clearly loves what he is doing, totally unassuming guy.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Paul Young fans might want to act quickly.

http://www.shopsuperdeluxe.com/products/paul-young-tomb-of-memories-the-cbs-years-1982-1994

Signed copies at a bargain price.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:10 pm

Blink-182 at the Bangor Waterfront. Great show, supported by All Time Low and A Day To Remember. Not bad seeing my 3 favorite bands in one night.
BANGOR, Maine — Regardless of how long it’s been since you were in high school or college, you can probably remember what it was like to be young. Not a child or a teenager, but 18, 20, or 23 — a adult on paper, but somewhere in between a kid and a grownup in reality.

That’s exactly the age group that Blink-182 makes music for, and for the most part, that’s exactly who showed up to the band’s Saturday night concert at the Darling’s Waterfront Pavilion in Bangor, with opening bands A Day To Remember, All Time Low and DJ Spider.

The overwhelming majority of the audience — at least 10,000 in attendance, likely more — was in its teens, 20s and 30s, with a smattering of folks in their 40s and older; which is the same age that bassist Mark Hoppus, drummer Travis Barker and guitarist Matt Skiba are. Both band and audience seemed in celebratory moods, with massive cheers erupting when the lights went out and Blink took the stage.

After all, even if you’re long past that strange post-teen, pre-adult age, if you like Blink-182 there’s still a goofy, profane 21-year-old inside you somewhere. Blink’s songs like “Dammit,” “What’s My Age Again?” “All The Small Things” and “The Rock Show” from multi-platinum albums such as “Enema of the State” and “Take Off Your Pants and Jacket” blend irresistible pop melodies and propulsive punk rhythms with lyrics that deal with equal parts toilet humor and more serious subjects like love and depression.

The band’s most recent album, “California,” released this past summer, is the first Blink-182 album to not feature founding member Tom DeLonge, instead featuring Matt Skiba on guitar. Skiba also hails from the popular punk band Alkaline Trio. Though DeLonge left the band in 2015 after years of internal drama, at the Bangor concert, the band had lost none of its seemingly boundless energy or potty mouth humor, playing several songs from the new album as well as the early 2000s hits that made them famous.

The concert was one of the loudest of the season so far, with opening acts A Day To Remember and All Time Low blasting through two fast, furious sets before giving way to headliners Blink, who augmented their 90-minute set with lots of pyrotechnics and explosions. The concert also was the second to last Bangor show of the summer, with just one more concert set — country band Rascal Flatts on Sunday night — before closing out the 2016 season.
http://bangordailynews.com/2016/09/04/l ... r-concert/

Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Pink&Black wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Last concert i attended was Elvis On Stage in 2014

Will you be going to the Rotterdam RPO concert? I am still undecided. Not a big fan of the RPO treatment but seeing Elvis on the big screen is always wonderful.

Dont think so. The prices are higher then previous elvis concerts and it wont even feature the real rpo.

Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Regina Spektor last night in Manchester, the best I've ever seen her and in fact one of the best shows I've ever been to. This was my view from the barrier. I don't know what she thought*, looking out over a sold out room and seeing a 55 year old man in glasses staring up at her like a puppy looking for a new home.

* "Not him again!"

Regina5.JPG

Regina6.JPG

Regina.JPG

Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:54 am

Red Hot Chili Peppers in Amsterdam last week: BAM!

Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:22 pm

Robert wrote:Red Hot Chili Peppers in Amsterdam last week: BAM!

Somehow I missed that one :( A couple of my colleagues went, heard it was a blast 8)

Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 pm

Last night - the sixteenth time I've seen them, by my reckoning. It's not enough.

Fall1.JPG

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 am

In 2016 I've seen

Sturgill Simpson (twice)
The Lone Bellow
Jason Isbell (three times)
Hayes Carll
Richmond Fontaine (twice)
Daniel Romano
Bruce Springsteen
Brandy Clark

The last one was on Friday at the Oran Mor Glasgow
Wade Bowen and Willy Braun
Intimate acoustic concert very good.

20161118_203608.jpg

norrie

Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:46 pm

The last concert I saw was Steven Wilson.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:08 pm

The last significant concert I attended was Link Wray, in 2000.

Here's a ticket for that event :

scan0053.jpg

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:45 pm

norrie wrote:In 2016 I've seen

Sturgill Simpson (twice)
The Lone Bellow
Jason Isbell (three times)
Hayes Carll
Richmond Fontaine (twice)
Daniel Romano
Bruce Springsteen
Brandy Clark

The last one was on Friday at the Oran Mor Glasgow
Wade Bowen and Willy Braun
Intimate acoustic concert very good.

20161118_203608.jpg

norrie

That's an impressive list. Don't know all the acts but I have heard lots of good things about Jason Isbell, I guess you agree having seen him 3 times :D I also saw Sturgill Simpson, great show, I love his latest CD.

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Mister Moon wrote:The last significant concert I attended was Link Wray, in 2000.

scan0053.jpg

Those were the days when you actually got a ticket instead of a print out :(

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:40 pm

Last night in Manchester.

TC8.jpg

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:01 pm

Pink&Black wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:The last significant concert I attended was Link Wray, in 2000.

scan0053.jpg

Those were the days when you actually got a ticket instead of a print out :(

All the concert tickets I have saved over the years are inside an album. I have a few a those print outs too... and they all have vanished away. I don't know why I still keep them.