Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 pm

MUDBOUND - a new made for Netflix movie starring Carrie Mulligan (one of my favorites). Its set in Mississippi in the 40's during the war. If you want to know how it must have been for Elvis growing up surrounded by his older relatives in regards to race relations, check it out. I liked it ,but it was hard to take at times due to the extreme prejudice.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:51 pm

Pouring rain on my day off so watched my all time favourite movie Casablanca. Wonderfully directed and great cast with great performances but it's the writing that makes it truly exceptional with so many memorable lines.

norrie
Last edited by norrie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:05 pm

r&b on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 pm wrote:MUDBOUND - a new made for Netflix movie starring Carrie Mulligan (one of my favorites). Its set in Mississippi in the 40's during the war. If you want to know how it must have been for Elvis growing up surrounded by his older relatives in regards to race relations, check it out. I liked it ,but it was hard to take at times due to the extreme prejudice.

I'm hoping to catch a screening of Mudbound. I don't have Netflix, unfortunately, but it's getting a few select screenings.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:07 pm

norrie on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:51 pm wrote:Pouring rain on my day off so watched my all time favourite movie Casablanca. Wonderful directed and great cast eith great performances but it's the writing that makes it truly exceptional with so many memorable lines.

norrie

Casablanca is a big favourite of mine, too, norrie.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:20 am

Recently watched 'The Narrow Margin' (1952).

The remake from 1990, 'Narrow Margin' starring Gene Hackman and Anne Archer is a film I like a lot.

The original is decent enough, and it was interesting that it has some different plot twists to those found in the remake. Much prefer the remake though.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 am

goldbelt on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 pm wrote:Recently watched 'The Narrow Margin' (1952).

The remake from 1990, 'Narrow Margin' starring Gene Hackman and Anne Archer is a film I like a lot.

The original is decent enough, and it was interesting that it has some different plot twists to those found in the remake. Much prefer the remake though.

I feel quite the opposite, goldbelt. I'm a big fan of the original and think it's a terrific film. Less so the remake, which I don't rate so highly at all. Although I do think Gene Hackman is good here.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:08 am

Greystoke on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:29 pm wrote:
goldbelt on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 pm wrote:Recently watched 'The Narrow Margin' (1952).

I feel quite the opposite, goldbelt. I'm a big fan of the original and think it's a terrific film. Less so the remake, which I don't rate so highly at all. Although I do think Gene Hackman is good here.

Interesting.

The original seemed rather a little too dated in certain aspects which may have been an influencing factor on my opinion - and at least one of the twists was more effective in the remake in my opinion.

I did read that they used sets for the train interiors and an early use of hand held camera on the original, which masterfully helped to create the illusion that much of the film took place on a moving train - perhaps all the more impressive considering it was made in 1952.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:17 am

goldbelt on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 am wrote:

Interesting.

The original seemed rather a little too dated in certain aspects which may have been an influencing factor on my opinion - and at least one of the twists was more effective in the remake in my opinion.

I did read that they used sets for the train interiors and an early use of hand held camera on the original, which masterfully helped to create the illusion that much of the film took place on a moving train - perhaps all the more impressive considering it was made in 1952.

I've always found the original to be incredibly gripping, and I think a benefit of black and white photography with regards to certain special effects or the use of a projector, is the coherent visuals. Which can create that illusion your referring to. I always loved Terror by Night in this regard -- when Basil Rathbone was hanging outside the moving train.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Today at the cinema I saw Daddy's Home 2 and Suburbicon. The former, if you've seen 2015`s Daddy's Home, follows new co-dads and polar opposites, Mark Wahlberg and Will Ferrell, who are trying to figure out Christmas under their new agreement, which their kids still have some issues with. Enter the grandparents, played by Mel Gibson and John Lithgow, and you've, essentially, got A Bad Moms Christmas with the genders reversed.

The difference being, that Daddy's Home 2 is tone deaf, completely unfunny and lacking much in the way of warmth, good humour and characters worth taking an interest in. This is also true of a male-driven narrative that isn't really interested in female roles or finding a real perspective to contrast the faux masculinity on display here. Not that A Bad Moms Christmas was perfect by an means, but it is funny. Daddy's Home 2, on the other hand, didn't raise a single laugh out of me. With one sequence involving a child and a gun being seriously misjudged, whilst a cameo doesn't really work when there's no confidence in the audience knowing who that person is.

Suburbicon is also misjudged, but there's a lot more going on here and I can see what George Clooney wanted to accomplish with this film. The script being one of the Coen brothers` unrealised projects that Clooney and his producing/writing partner, Grant Heslov, re-worked.

Directed by Clooney, Suburbicon is something of an oddity that's trying to do two things at once whilst struggling to find the right tone and purpose along the way. The setting being a 1950s American ideal, with white picket fences and a perfect neighborhood that turns nasty when a black family moves to town. But one family has their own underlying secrets, with Matt Damon`s character and his sister-in-law suffering the loss of his wife/her sister after a break-in. But all is not as it seems as Damon's young son, played by Noah Jupe, soons grows increasingly distrustful.

Julianne Moore plays both the mother and her sister in a dual role, which is something that's found a bit of a resurgence of late, with Tom Hardy in Legend and James Franco in The Deuce. What ensues, however, finds Clooney in some ways trying to emulate the Coen`s style, but also employing shades of Hitchcock and Douglas Sirk, not to mention Alexandre Desplat`s score, which emulates Bernard Herrmann and works just nicely in this regard.

Clooney, unfortunately, doesn't really find anything new to say here, which would have been fine if he knew what he wanted to say. The black family, for example, are so thinly-sketched as to be transparent and are reduced to being a secondary concern to other events in the film. Which veer from extortion and something involving the mob that's never explained, to a spanking session, Matt Damon riding a kids` bike and a race riot.

Which isn't to say that Clooney doesn't impress in some ways or the acting is poor. The performances are fine, in fact. Especially young Noah Jupe and Oscar Isaacs on sparkling form. Whilst Robert Elswit`s cinematography is very good. I really did like the look of this film and the way Suburbicon, as a place, was designed. But this is a thematic, tonal muddle that aspires to more than Clooney is able to realise.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:57 am

I try to stay away from any movie starring Mel Gibson. I am amazed he has been forgiven for his past scumbag behavior especially considering how more and more men are being called out for their scumbag behavior including my favorite actor to jump on Kevin Spacey. glad we wont be seeing him anymore. and Mark Wahlberg is just a one note actor that I am sick of.

The latest movies I saw were Thor, Justice League and Ladybird. Thor I really liked. it took getting used to having a Thor movie with as much comedy as it did. Some die hard superhero fans thought there was too much humor. they thought it took away any tension. but I enjoyed it. they introduced a few new characters and turned the Thor world upside down and refreshed it. I liked it better than the last two thor movies.

Justice League did not blow me away. there is usually something missing from the DC movies. they don't make you care about the characters the way Marvel are able too. they have added more humor to this one because of the complaints in the past about them being too serious. Affleck does not impress me as Batman. the best out of the bunch are Wonder woman and Aquaman. its their version of the Avengers but not nearly as good.

Ladybird was ok. its directed at women though. Young and old. Saoirse Ronan stars. she is a great actress who can completely change for each movie she is in. This is completely different than her role in Brooklyn. You would not know it was the same person playing them. here she plays a 18 year old girl who has a troubled relationship with her mom. its a coming of age movie for girls. pretty good.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:53 pm

DEH on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:57 pm wrote:Ladybird was ok. its directed at women though. Young and old. Saoirse Ronan stars. she is a great actress who can completely change for each movie she is in. This is completely different than her role in Brooklyn. You would not know it was the same person playing them. here she plays a 18 year old girl who has a troubled relationship with her mom. its a coming of age movie for girls. pretty good.

Saoirse is a fantastic actor and has made a wide variety of different movies covering most genres:- horror, romance, sci-fi, drama, crime, fantasy, action and more.

I look forward to seeing her performance in Lady Bird.

Andy

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:06 pm

jetblack on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:53 pm wrote:
DEH on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:57 pm wrote:Ladybird was ok. its directed at women though. Young and old. Saoirse Ronan stars. she is a great actress who can completely change for each movie she is in. This is completely different than her role in Brooklyn. You would not know it was the same person playing them. here she plays a 18 year old girl who has a troubled relationship with her mom. its a coming of age movie for girls. pretty good.

Saoirse is a fantastic actor and has made a wide variety of different movies covering most genres:- horror, romance, sci-fi, drama, crime, fantasy, action and more.

I look forward to seeing her performance in Lady Bird.

Andy

Which was written and directed by the very talented, Greta Gerwig.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:01 pm

I saw Passengers last night. It was an okay movie. A little bit of a thriller and some romance. A good premise. I liked it better than some people did.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Greystoke on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:17 am wrote:
goldbelt on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 am wrote:

Interesting.

I've always found the original to be incredibly gripping, and I think a benefit of black and white photography with regards to certain special effects or the use of a projector, is the coherent visuals. Which can create that illusion your referring to. I always loved Terror by Night in this regard -- when Basil Rathbone was hanging outside the moving train.

The clip in that trailer is very impressive yes - and since Terror By Night was on TCM at the weekend I decided to check out the whole movie.

I am not familiar with the Sherlock Holmes movies or books, and whilst Basil Rathbone was really good as Holmes, I was surprised to find Watson seemed to be portrayed as a fairly inept sidekick who seemed to offer little assistance or help to Holmes. Holmes even has to explain how the victims were murdered to him. Is this how Watson is typically portrayed, or was this somewhat of a departure in the series.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:19 pm

In the novels and short stories Watson wasn't the bumbling fool that was portrayed by Nigel Bruce. Bruce, however, came to define this character as such and that stuck in a lot of ways. But I do like him in the role in spite of how different he is to the source material.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Greystoke on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm wrote:In the novels and short stories Watson wasn't the bumbling fool that was portrayed by Nigel Bruce. Bruce, however, came to define this character as such and that stuck in a lot of ways. But I do like him in the role in spite of how different he is to the source material.

Thanks for that explanation.

While on the topic of movies featuring trains, I recently checked out The Cassandra Crossing which had a showing on the Talking Pictures channel.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:47 pm

goldbelt on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 pm wrote:
Greystoke on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm wrote:In the novels and short stories Watson wasn't the bumbling fool that was portrayed by Nigel Bruce. Bruce, however, came to define this character as such and that stuck in a lot of ways. But I do like him in the role in spite of how different he is to the source material.

While on the topic of movies featuring trains, I recently checked out The Cassandra Crossing which had a showing on the Talking Pictures channel.

How did you find it? It's not a film I'm fond of. Great cast, all the same and Talking Pictures TV is a gem of a channel.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:07 pm

Greystoke on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:47 pm wrote:
goldbelt on Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 pm wrote:

How did you find it? It's not a film I'm fond of. Great cast, all the same and Talking Pictures TV is a gem of a channel.

Not overly keen on the film either. As you say, a great cast and worth checking out I suppose. At over 2 hours it is rather overlong and even then the film ends somewhat unresolved - though heavily signposted.

There's some interesting stuff on the Talking Pictures TV channel.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:39 am

I saw the Blu-ray of the 1941 film Man Hunt today, directed by Fritz Lang. I first (and last) saw it as a teenager, back in the day when a film like this would show up on terrestrial TV in the afternoons. It stuck with me after that, and it was good to see it again and, for the most part, it didn't disappoint. Fritz Lang's directing is pretty much the star of the show, and it's easy to realise that he spent the first decade of his career in silent cinema, for, as with Hitchcock, there are long sequences without dialogue - including the rather famous opening sequence of Walter Pidgeon aiming a gun at Adolf Hitler. Also rather like Hitchcock's films from the period (Saboteur, Foreign Correspondent), the movie is episodic in structure, and it works well in this way - although I have to say I found the last reel rather melodramatic and, in some degree, rather ludicrous. And that's a shame, because for the most part this really is classic Hollywood at its best - and also at its most extreme, with the torture sequences off-screen but still shocking for a 1941 movie. The depiction of London has having pearly kings and queens wandering around for the sake of it is just a little bizarre, as are the parade of accents from Joan Bennett (whose cockney is unlike any I've heard) and George Sanders who starts off with a German accent and ends up with an English one. As for the blu-ray itself, the film looks very good and there are some nice documentaries attached as bonuses. The last reel suffers from a little nitrate damage here and there - reminding us, as if we needed it, of the importance of film preservation.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:24 am

Last night we watched "Whistle Down The Wind" a masterpiece of a film from Richard Attenborough and Bryan Forbes,starring Alan Bates and Hayley Mills,quite simply a perfect way to spend a couple of hours relaxing.
......"Its me pully!"...

Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:49 pm

keninlincs on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:24 am wrote:Last night we watched "Whistle Down The Wind" a masterpiece of a film from Richard Attenborough and Bryan Forbes,starring Alan Bates and Hayley Mills,quite simply a perfect way to spend a couple of hours relaxing.
......"Its me pully!"...

Glad you got around to watching it Ken. It certainly is a fine movie.

'As Good As It Gets' was my choice last night. Nicholson's tour de force performance is out-standing and VERY FUNNY. I had also forgot Cuba Gooding Jr. was in this movie. He certainly gives a good performance with the little screen time he has.

Not sure this type of movie could /would be made today with all the political correctness around. Even so, I enjoyed it very much.

Andy
Last edited by jetblack on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:15 pm

jetblack on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm wrote:
keninlincs on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:24 am wrote:Last night we watched "Whistle Down The Wind" a masterpiece of a film from Richard Attenborough and Bryan Forbes,starring Alan Bates and Hayley Mills,quite simply a perfect way to spend a couple of hours relaxing.
......"Its me pully!"...

Glad you got around to watching it Kevin. It certainly is a fine movie.

'As Good As It Gets' was my choice last night. Nicholson's tour de force performance is out-standing and VERY FUNNY. I had also forgot Cuba Gooding Jr. was in this movie. He certainly gives a good performance with the little screen time he has.

Not sure this type of movie could /would be made today with all the political correctness around. Even so, I enjoyed it very much.

Andy

I watched As Good as It Gets for the first time in some years about six or seven months ago and enjoyed it tremendously, jetblack. It was one of many films that I've always liked, watched fairly frequently in the past, then hadn't seen it for about ten years or so. It was great to re-visit.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

jetblack on Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:49 pm wrote:
......"Its me pully!"...

Glad you got around to watching it Kevin. It certainly is a fine movie.

Andy

I really cant remember watching that ,so will give it a watch soon,am currently watching a last few Clint Eastwood films from the box set i got a while ago
KEN.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:29 pm

keninlincs on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:23 pm wrote:I really cant remember watching that ,so will give it a watch soon,am currently watching a last few Clint Eastwood films from the box set i got a while ago
KEN.

Sorry Ken I have been misreading your name as Kevin - me thinks I need another eye test :shock:

Andy

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:13 am

jetblack on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:29 pm wrote:
keninlincs on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:23 pm wrote:I really cant remember watching that ,so will give it a watch soon,am currently watching a last few Clint Eastwood films from the box set i got a while ago
KEN.

Sorry Ken I have been misreading your name as Kevin - me thinks I need another eye test :shock:

Andy

No probs Andy ::rocks