Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Thu May 15, 2014 2:33 am

I'm going to make a statement for the defence for a film that is supposedly one of the worst horror films made. So, why did I buy it and watch it? Well, it was a penny on Amazon and I got curious.

However, I found much to enjoy in "Frogs" (1972). It's a kind of amphibian version of Hitchcock's The Birds. Ray Milland plays Jason Crockett, the owner of a mansion on a private island who has gathered his family together for his annual birthday celebrations. However, the island's wildlife has other ideas and slowly but surely start killing off the family. It sets itself out as an eco-horror from the very beginning although, as with "The Birds" there is no exact explanation given for the behaviour of the animals, other than the fact they are giving some kind of revenge on humans who are polluting their environment.

I'm sure much of the film's bad reputation comes from the title, which does admittedly sound rather daft. However, the film itself is surprisingly well done, all things considered. The atmosphere is built up through endless shots of, well, frogs within scenes (virtually ALL scenes). This is set up at the beginning when Pickett Smith, played by Sam Elliott, is taking photos of the wildlife of the island. What makes this build up of tension work so well, however, is that there are long stretches of the film that are effectively silent. Other than the sounds of birds or croaking from the frogs, there are no sound effects, and the usual crescendo of music that nearly always signals a murder or death in a horror film is absent. There is no music here for the most part, and it only adds to the bizarre creepiness of the film.

Some of it is very silly (such as death-by-turtle), but some of the deaths are rather uncomfortable to watch – particularly the first one that we see occurring on screen. And, as with the Hitchcock film, even more eerie is the lack of intelligent explanation at the end. These events just happen.

The film falls down in some respects, though, not least through the writing of Milland’s character. His actions are downright absurd at times, and the dialogue he spouts is often ludicrous. Milland’s acting is less than great also – I’ve never found him to be the most convincing of actors at the best of times, but there are moments here when he is downright appalling. Some of the other actors are less than stellar too, but Sam Shepherd is superb, and manages to hold the whole thing together.

So, I put the DVD in expecting to be giggling my way through a campfest, and ended up thinking “that wasn’t at all bad.” It’s a lesson that we should all know by now – some films have a reputation for being bad for no real reason, and this is a case in point. So, if you see it on Amazon for a penny, it’s well worth considering for ninety minutes of sometimes daft but sometimes very eerie entertainment.

Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 am

Last night i watched the 1998 version of "Godzilla" forgot how good it was for its time,Cant wait to see the new one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 15, 2014 9:29 am

I watched "Wolf of Wall Street" on Putlocker: http://putlocker.bz/watch-the-wolf-of-w ... ocker.html I just noticed that the movie has since been deleted.

I couldn't like the Belfort character at all, although DiCaprio himself, who played Belfort, is likeable and to me, would have made Belfort more digestible, due to DiCaprio's likeability. In real life Belfort, to me, who looks like the sneaky cat who swallowed the canary, was a penny stockbroker, who ripped off families, collectively of millions, was subsequently charged and jailed for securities fraud. Although ordered to pay full restitution, Belfort has only repaid thus far $12 million, as per his government; Belfort states he has returned $23 million, of the $110 million owing.

What is very interesting, is that this criminal, Belfort, has been visiting Australia, and plans to "share his business knowledge", through seminars on a subsequent trip, to business people here. He has made a huge mistake, though. For publicity, he bullied our Liz Hayes from 60 minutes. Big mistake, huge mistake to do that in Australia, as Australians rally around their own. Gordon Ramsey, that disgusting, foul mouthed chef, tried the same thing for publicity, he tried to bully and ridicule our Tracy Grimshaw, from A Current Affair, and it backfired on him. (Tom Cruise was wildly disliked due to the break-up of his marriage to our Nicole, lol).

Good to see Karma working - CYA Belfort. :smt006 :smt005

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv ... 6918347750

Fri May 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Some comments:

I've never watched "Frogs" but I remember it was a favourite in my family and they watched it every time they showed it on german television (mostly before midnight). But I was too young so I wasn't allowed to watch it.

I can't say I'm looking forward to "Under My Skin" for I've already seen pictures from the probably most interesting scene.

I remember the Emmerich Godzilla was probably the very first movie I've seen in a real big cinema. That said, I have to confess I was disappointed with the latest installment. But go, see and check for yourself.
I've watched two movies that night at the cineman: one being "Godzilla" in 3D and after that I watched the preview of "One Chance", which was quite a nice little surprise to me. When I learned what the movie was about I was already thinking about leaving but watched and enjoyed it to the end. I think the main reason to stay was Colm Meaney's character as Paul Potts' father.

Then I've watched the Hitchcock movies "Saboteur" and "Shadow Of A Doubt", which I'd never seen before. I really enjoyed the first one but the second was kinda dragged along for me, although no doubt they are very good films - sometimes way ahead of its time.

Last night I watched the forgettable "Tokarev" starring Nicolas Cage. Starts off promising but in the end... :?

Right now I started watching "Blue Is The Warmest Color" and instantly fell in love with Adèle Exarchopoulos. Can't explain but I think she is fascinating. She kinda reflects that longing loneliness in her eyes, á la Catherine Deneuve, although she's a completely different type of woman. I'm only halfway through it but I can recommend it to people who like these kind of arthouse movies.

Fri May 16, 2014 6:37 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Some comments:

I've never watched "Frogs" but I remember it was a favourite in my family and they watched it every time they showed it on german television (mostly before midnight). But I was too young so I wasn't allowed to watch it.

I can't say I'm looking forward to "Under My Skin" for I've already seen pictures from the probably most interesting scene.

I remember the Emmerich Godzilla was probably the very first movie I've seen in a real big cinema. That said, I have to confess I was disappointed with the latest installment. But go, see and check for yourself.
I've watched two movies that night at the cineman: one being "Godzilla" in 3D and after that I watched the preview of "One Chance", which was quite a nice little surprise to me. When I learned what the movie was about I was already thinking about leaving but watched and enjoyed it to the end. I think the main reason to stay was Colm Meaney's character as Paul Potts' father.

Then I've watched the Hitchcock movies "Saboteur" and "Shadow Of A Doubt", which I'd never seen before. I really enjoyed the first one but the second was kinda dragged along for me, although no doubt they are very good films - sometimes way ahead of its time.

Last night I watched the forgettable "Tokarev" starring Nicolas Cage. Starts off promising but in the end... :?

Right now I started watching "Blue Is The Warmest Color" and instantly fell in love with Adèle Exarchopoulos. Can't explain but I think she is fascinating. She kinda reflects that longing loneliness in her eyes, á la Catherine Deneuve, although she's a completely different type of woman. I'm only halfway through it but I can recommend it to people who like these kind of arthouse movies.

I only saw Saboteur recently as well - either I'd somehow never seen it before or I saw it as a kid/teen and didn't remember it. I've had the DVD for years (probably the video too), but I think I got it confused with Sabotage and thought I didn't like it much. I actually rather enjoyed it. It's a good old-fashioned, episodic man on the run thriller from Hitch - nothing particularly masterful but highly enjoyable. Shadow of a Doubt is a more subtle film in many ways and one that I like very much, but ultimately the entertainment value isn't as high as with some other Hitchcock films from the period.

Sat May 17, 2014 2:22 am

jak wrote:Went to the theatre yesterday to see Under The Skin with Scarlett Johansen. It's a sci fi film in which she plays an alien here o earth. Other than a few glowing reviews I hadnt heard anything about this film. We went with very high expectations. Unfortunately we almost got up and walked out it was so bad. Staying until the end was an endurance test. One of the worst films if not the worst I have ever seen in a theatre. Even Scarlett's full frontal nude scene wasnt worth the admission price.

I saw Under the Skin a few months ago and thought it to be very good and quite excellent in certain areas -- particularly the very creative, disconcerting and immersive score and sound design which seem to intermingle. This is a film that seems to be deeply polarising views and opinions, but I liked it so much I saw it twice.

Sat May 17, 2014 3:03 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Some comments:

I'm very fond of both Saboteur and Shadow of a Doubt, especially the latter. But check out Chan-wook Park's 2013 English language debut, Stoker, for a stylish and quietly compelling update of Shadow of a Doubt. I also thought Blue is the Warmest Colour was really terrific. It's a truly compelling love story that affords deep emotional investment in the characters through great writing and very naturalistic performances.

Between yesterday and today I've seen Godzilla, Frank, The Two Faces of January and Concussion at the cinema. I thought Godzilla was tremendous and almost everything I wanted from this film. Frank, which is inspired by the character of Frank Sidebottom and based on the experiences of Jon Ronson with Chris Sievey, is a real gem of a film. It's truly off-beat, with a marvellous central performance from Michael Fassbebder as Frank, the frontman of an experimental music group who just happens to exist in a giant papier mache head. But this sideways look at celebrity, creativity, acceptance and mental health issues is ultimately touching and quite unforgettable. The Two Faces of January, starring Viggo Mortensen, Kirsten Dunst and Oscar Isaacs is set in early sixties Greece, where small-time confidence man, Isaacs, latches onto the affluent-looking Mortensen and Dunst. By mere chance, Isaacs' character stumbles upon Mortensen in a criminally compromised situation where he lends a hand and becomes embroiled in run from the law that's tainted with distrust and duplicity. Great acting, scenery, music and a well-written script is let down slightly by keeping the deliberately ambiguous characters just too aloof. Less compelling is Concussion, which concerns a lesbian couple whose everyday life and marriage with two young children isn't enough to content Robin Weigert's character, Abbey. Who, after an accidental blow to the head, sets off on a series of sexual encounters that lead her into the world of a high-class call-girl. Which is intermittently intriguing and occasionally erotic, but lacking real narrative drive and a solid framework to make more of what soon amounts to a series of very brief vignettes. There are occasionally tender moments, but it's difficult to get under the skin and care much about a protagonist who seems to have everything in life but is discontented for special reason despite the extraordinary lengths she goes to to have another life.

Sun May 18, 2014 2:20 am

I wrote a more detailed post about Godzilla that's been removed along with other posts here and elsewhere. What's that all about? Any ideas?

Sun May 18, 2014 3:23 am

greystoke wrote:I wrote a more detailed post about Godzilla that's been removed along with other posts here and elsewhere. What's that all about? Any ideas?
No idea Hugh,the mods have deleted my posts and your replies about Godzilla and Frank and your thanks for the post comment,wihout having the common decency of an explanation, seems they are really determined to annoy people into leaving fecc at the moment

mobile reply
Last edited by keninlincs on Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 18, 2014 5:02 am

Hey guys, there was a database issue earlier this evening. Had to roll over to a backup that was made 12 hours ago. I apologize for the posts that were lost.
(There was a note of this up above in the announcement thread regarding the server.) Anytime something funky is happening,I make note of it there. Fyi. :)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Sun May 18, 2014 6:07 am

Thank you, Jordan. Someone was on Facebook, going bonkers. LOL! I will let him know.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Sun May 18, 2014 6:14 am

Greystoke: did you write it first in another program? Because I want to go to the movies tomorrow, and sure would like to see it.

You write long, superb posts. I hope you write them in a word processor or note-app first!

rjm

Sent via mobile

Sun May 18, 2014 7:21 am

rjm wrote:Greystoke: did you write it first in another program? Because I want to go to the movies tomorrow, and sure would like to see it.

You write long, superb posts. I hope you write them in a word processor or note-app first!

rjm

Sent via mobile

I don't, unfortunately, rjm. I may write about it again later today, but I do recommend Godzilla highly. It's intelligent, involving and very exciting.

Sun May 18, 2014 8:21 am

greystoke wrote: but I do recommend Godzilla highly. It's intelligent, involving and very exciting.

I sure would love to read your review. I am not much of a fan of Godzilla movies. One is enough. But (You're The ) Devil In Disguise may make me change my mind. :-)

Sun May 18, 2014 8:32 am

Went to see Godzilla the other night great CGI effects and they looked even better in 3D. story not so good found it a bit slow but it did have its moments !!!

Sun May 18, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks for the explanation jordan,and apologies to the mods

mobile reply

Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 am

greystoke wrote:
rjm wrote:Greystoke: did you write it first in another program? Because I want to go to the movies tomorrow, and sure would like to see it.

rjm

Sent via mobile

I don't, unfortunately, rjm. I may write about it again later today, but I do recommend Godzilla highly. It's intelligent, involving and very exciting.
it was a great review,Thanks

mobile reply

Sun May 18, 2014 9:54 am

greystoke wrote:

rjm

Sent via mobile

Thank you! I will go. I need a movie!

rjm

Sent via mobile

Sun May 18, 2014 5:24 pm

After reading some very mixed reviews on Godzilla I had intended to pass on it preferring instead to take in next weeks X-Men movie, though following Greystokes very positive opinion on it coupled with my sunday boredom I decided to see for myself. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, I agree with most of the four out of five star reviews. Perfect? No, of course not but still a highly enjoyable piece of entertainment. I thought it very well crafted, perhaps echoes of Spielberg coming through in the pacing and general look but still very much the directors own work. The obvious comparison being with the very recent Pacific Rim, as much as I like Del Torro as a director his movie while looking good was a big let down for me, not least of which was the wooden dialogue and acting. This movie at least engaged me and seeing it a second time on the big screen would not be a challenge. If I had one criticism, it would be the kids rating it aimed for, would have liked to have seen a bit more suspense and kicking it up to an 18 rating, it is after all monsters smashing a city to pieces, but its a small critique and over all a most enjoyable couple of hours.

Mon May 19, 2014 4:11 am

Thanks so much, Jordan. I was wondering where some of my "Thanks" went. Sad that some of greystoke's wonderful posts got lost, though.

Last movie I watched was Alex De La Iglesia's "Witching And Bitching"... boy, what a weird piece of cinema. But enjoyed it anyway.

Mon May 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Just watched "Clambake" today, probably the first Elvis movie I saw in ages.

Didn't have a clue how boring it actually was, although being recently dumped by a girl I really had a crush on I couldn't help but trying to fight back the tears during my two favourite scenes in the movie.
At least when Elvis came up in the opening credits with his typical grin, I couldn't help but grin along and I felt happy once more.

First time I watched it in english, by the way. But I thought even the motorboat race was kinda lame. At least there was Shelley... :smt007

Mon May 19, 2014 9:17 pm

Just yesterday I watched "Penny Serenade" (1941) on TV, a film directed by George Stevens, and starring Irene Dunne and Cary Grant.

It's a very old-fashioned melodrama, but I like the way the film is presented, with Dunne reminiscing about her past through the (RCA Victor) records she plays all through the movie.

The songs in the soundtrack are wonderful, and the trick at the beginning of the movie with the record skipping (I won't spoilt for you) is absolutely unforgettable.

Mon May 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Just yesterday I watched "Penny Serenade" (1941) on TV, a film directed by George Stevens, and starring Irene Dunne and Cary Grant.

It's a very old-fashioned melodrama, but I like the way the film is presented, with Dunne reminiscing about her past through the (RCA Victor) records she plays all through the movie.

The songs in the soundtrack are wonderful, and the trick at the beginning of the movie with the record skipping (I won't spoilt for you) is absolutely unforgettable.

I'm also very fond of Penny Serenade, which I won't spoil either out of consideration for anyone who hasn't seen this film. Cary Grant is one of my favourite actors and here, in this very moving, tender and touching film, he gives one of his very best performances. Irene Dunne is also one of my favourite actresses, and she's the very epitome of grace and courage under trial and tribulation in this movie. Which was directed with such a deft touch by the great George Stevens, who was one of the most skilled directors in Hollywood during the Golden Era and through the fifties into the sixties. He turned his hand successfully to several genres and made some of the best films of their kind, Penny Serenade included, although his work with Cary Grant was of the highest standard given that he also directed Gunga Din and The Talk of the Town.

Wed May 21, 2014 6:04 am

"Elvis On Tour"! :D
I think this must be the movie I've seen most in my life (about ten times). Usually I'm not the person to watch a movie over and over but this one is magical to me since I've seen it first on April 15, 1986.

Last night I watched "Paranormal Activity - The Marked Ones" and despite I really liked the first four installments (with the first one including the original ending being my favourite, it cannot be topped in my opinion) I thought this was real crap. Simply didn't like it, it actually went on my nerves. What a letdown! :(

Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 pm

X-Men Days of Future Past, thoroughly enjoyed it, a great addition to the series certainly as good as any of them and a little bit more imo, will go back and see it again on the big screen for it will lose a lot on the tv screen I'm sure, highly recommended entertainment. Nice to see Bryan Singer back at the helm also.