Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Fri May 02, 2014 1:05 am

rocknroller wrote:Went to see Locke & pompeii at the cinema tonight.locke was a very strange movie played by only one actor in a car for the whole of the movie.found myself wanting to hate the movie but rather enjoyed it.would i buy it on blu-ray ? no, would i watch it again ? no like i said a very strange movie.I have to say i really loved pompeii its like gladiator a disaster movie and titanic (the love story) all rolled in to one although not as good as any of those films but it ticked all the right box's for me.the 3D effects where fantastic !!!

Glad you liked Pompeii and that my opinions didn't put you off. Whilst, on the other hand, I thought Locke was superb. My biggest gripe being the plot device which involved Locke conversing with the memory of his late father. Which offered exposition but seemed to show a lack of confidence in facets of the script relating to his motivations and how such could best be explained. But Tom Hardy is such a terrific actor that he can express a lot with subtlety and nuance without heavy exposition. I found the story compelling and superbly acted, directed and lensed. It's one of my favourites this year so far.

Fri May 02, 2014 7:46 am

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to see Locke & pompeii at the cinema tonight.locke was a very strange movie played by only one actor in a car for the whole of the movie.found myself wanting to hate the movie but rather enjoyed it.would i buy it on blu-ray ? no, would i watch it again ? no like i said a very strange movie.I have to say i really loved pompeii its like gladiator a disaster movie and titanic (the love story) all rolled in to one although not as good as any of those films but it ticked all the right box's for me.the 3D effects where fantastic !!!

Glad you liked Pompeii and that my opinions didn't put you off. Whilst, on the other hand, I thought Locke was superb. My biggest gripe being the plot device which involved Locke conversing with the memory of his late father. Which offered exposition but seemed to show a lack of confidence in facets of the script relating to his motivations and how such could best be explained. But Tom Hardy is such a terrific actor that he can express a lot with subtlety and nuance without heavy exposition. I found the story compelling and superbly acted, directed and lensed. It's one of my favourites this year so far.

Yeah i agree the father reference was a bit lame but all the same it was compelling viewing !!!

Tue May 06, 2014 9:57 am

Whent to see Bad Neighbors at the cinema last night sooooo funny a must see ! airbag scene's and fight scene are the funniest scenes in a movie this year !!!

Fri May 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Watched 'The Shawshank Redemption' last night. Incredible movie. One of the advantages (or disadvantages) is the ability to look up the movie on the internet. Sometimes this works really well; like for example how Andy deliberately delays acknowledging Brooks Crow's sound. Brilliant movie.

Fri May 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Delboy wrote:Watched 'The Shawshank Redemption' last night. Incredible movie. One of the advantages (or disadvantages) is the ability to look up the movie on the internet. Sometimes this works really well; like for example how Andy deliberately delays acknowledging Brooks Crow's sound. Brilliant movie.

Classic ! one of the first movie's i had to have on blu-ray the quality is just out of this world !!!

Fri May 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Delboy wrote:Watched 'The Shawshank Redemption' last night. Incredible movie. One of the advantages (or disadvantages) is the ability to look up the movie on the internet. Sometimes this works really well; like for example how Andy deliberately delays acknowledging Brooks Crow's sound. Brilliant movie.

My Favourite film along with Double Jeopardy

Sat May 10, 2014 8:25 am

Watched Crazy the hank garland story,good movie well worth seeing !!!

Sat May 10, 2014 3:16 pm

rocknroller wrote:Watched Crazy the hank garland story,good movie well worth seeing !!!

This sounds interesting!

Last night and the night before I watched (for the very first time in my life) "The Ten Commandments".
Including a lot of beautiful women (Anne Baxter, Debra Paget, Yvonne De Carlo) - and Yul Brynner! :D His on-screen presence is really breathtaking.
While this was the first movie I watched with Heston in the past about at least fifteen years (I refused to watch another movie with him after seeing him in "Bowling For Columbine") I have to say that I think the guy simply couldn't act. Way too stiff and expressionless. But that's just my opinion. Used to really like him as a kid in "Ben Hur" and "Planet Of The Apes".

That said, the Blu-ray of this feature (a friend of mine called it "Bible Crap") is outstanding and marvellous.
And I liked the special effects, I think they are still pretty good - for a 57-year old movie.
What I liked most about this movie were the sometimes great monologues and dialogues. Great piece of cinema, watchable even if somebody's an atheist. :wink:

Then I started "Lawrence Of Arabia", another movie I'd never seen before but didn't make it to the second half yet. Great movie, no doubt.

Sat May 10, 2014 5:43 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Watched Crazy the hank garland story,good movie well worth seeing !!!

This sounds interesting!

Last night and the night before I watched (for the very first time in my life) "The Ten Commandments".
Including a lot of beautiful women (Anne Baxter, Debra Paget, Yvonne De Carlo) - and Yul Brynner! :D His on-screen presence is really breathtaking.
While this was the first movie I watched with Heston in the past about at least fifteen years (I refused to watch another movie with him after seeing him in "Bowling For Columbine") I have to say that I think the guy simply couldn't act. Way too stiff and expressionless. But that's just my opinion. Used to really like him as a kid in "Ben Hur" and "Planet Of The Apes".

That said, the Blu-ray of this feature (a friend of mine called it "Bible Crap") is outstanding and marvellous.
And I liked the special effects, I think they are still pretty good - for a 57-year old movie.
What I liked most about this movie were the sometimes great monologues and dialogues. Great piece of cinema, watchable even if somebody's an atheist. :wink:

Then I started "Lawrence Of Arabia", another movie I'd never seen before but didn't make it to the second half yet. Great movie, no doubt.

The Ten Commandments is quite an extraordinary movie -- the Blu-ray box set released by Fox a few years ago is absolutely stunning. But it's a gorgeous-looking film, brilliantly staged and over the top at times, but to good effect. I'm a big fan of Charlton Heston, though. I've always liked his acting, whilst I admire his knowledge of film-making and the movies, and think he was taken advantage of in Bowling for Columbine. His autobiography, In the Arena, is one of the best Hollywood autobiographies I've read. This and his diaries are informative, educational and make for a very entertaining read. Lawrence of Arabia is another incredible movie and, again, the Blu-ray box set is marvellous. Again, one of my favourites, both the movie and its magnificent score.

Sat May 10, 2014 9:18 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:

This sounds interesting!

Here is the trailer for crazy
phpBB [video]

I have never seen Ten Commandments i really need to watch it someday.i love ben hur its just epic the blu-ray is just stunning !!!

Sun May 11, 2014 12:04 am

Just checked The Ten Commandments trailer on youtube i have seen the movie when i was a kid ! need to see it again hopefully on blu-ray !!!

Sun May 11, 2014 2:24 am

rocknroller wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

This sounds interesting!

phpBB [video]

I have never seen Ten Commandments i really need to watch it someday.i love ben hur its just epic the blu-ray is just stunning !!!

The Ben-Hur Blu-ray is stunning -- and again, the box set is really impressive.

Sun May 11, 2014 8:36 am

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

This sounds interesting!

The blu-ray boxset looks awesome ! i had the dvd boxset of ben-hur !!!

phpBB [video]

The Ben-Hur Blu-ray is stunning -- and again, the box set is really impressive.

Tue May 13, 2014 12:22 am

I saw "Captain America 2". The best superhero film i have seen in a while. and i saw "The Other Woman". There were a few funny parts in it but overall it was an insult to ones intelligence. Do u think Hollywood would make this same movie with the genders reversed. where 3 guys get together to get revenge on the woman that cheated on them? Hell No. But its funny when the women get together to do it. :roll: :roll: :roll: The Hihlight of the film really was seeing Kate Upton run down the beach.

Tue May 13, 2014 2:41 am

I saw Parkland tonight, which tells the story of the JFK assassination through the eyes of the doctors, the Oswald family, the police, the FBI and secret service and the man who inadvertently filmed the assassination.

I thought it was a fine piece of work that deserves to be better known. It's an intelligent piece, cleverly interweaving the various stories. It's also a remarkably tense film, which is surprising since we all know the basic narrative. Writer/director Peter Landesman has brilliantly knitted historic footage with dramatic scenes and sequences that are clearly intended to look documentary-like (such as the arrival of Kennedy at the hospital). It also lacks the self-importance of some other films dealing with these events, most notable "JFK." This is, essentially, a small film, not an epic retelling - and is all the better for it.

The performances are universally superb. Billy Bob Thornton is the best he has been for years and Jacki Weaver is brilliant as Marguerite Oswald. Meanwhile, the first half of the film relies on a performance from Zac Efron that shows once again that he is far more than just a pretty face, something he has shown previously in films such as Me and Orson Welles, 17 Again and The Paperboy - a film that he nearly managed to rescue. I see he's signed up for an adaptation of the Grisham novel The Associate - one of Grisham's best in recent years - and may well be a good choice.

Parkland only got a limited release in the UK last year, but is certainly well worth seeking out.

Tue May 13, 2014 12:53 pm

On sunday I watched the "War Of The Worlds" remake for about the fifth time (for the first time on blu-ray).
Aside from a screaming, annoying Dakota Fanning I still enjoy this movie very much despite the weird picture quality, which was most likely Spielberg wanted it to look.

Then I watched "Inland Empire" again and I have to say this must be Lynch's most "complicated" film. Superb performance by Laura Dern, though.

After that I decided to give Hitchcock's "The Trouble With Harry" another chance. The last time I've seen it must've been in the eighties but wasn't really into it.
This time there were some references I now understood a little better but still this isn't a movie I cherish. Probably won't watch it again.

Same with "Family Plot", which I decided to watch after that. Not exactly a masterpiece and a little too long, I think it was okay. Not the best way to end such a marvellous career of directing. And compared to my third-favourite Hitchcock movie (the other two being "Psycho" and "The Birds") "Frenzy", this one really stinks. :wink:

Now I think it's time to give "The Misfits" another chance... *yawn*

But I'm really looking forward to see "Godzilla" at the theatre tomorrow! :)

Oh, and by the way: finally my favourite movie of all time, "The Time Machine" will be released on Blu-ray in July!!! :D

Tue May 13, 2014 1:53 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:On sunday I watched the "War Of The Worlds" remake for about the fifth time (for the first time on blu-ray).
Aside from a screaming, annoying Dakota Fanning I still enjoy this movie very much despite the weird picture quality, which was most likely Spielberg wanted it to look.

Then I watched "Inland Empire" again and I have to say this must be Lynch's most "complicated" film. Superb performance by Laura Dern, though.

After that I decided to give Hitchcock's "The Trouble With Harry" another chance. The last time I've seen it must've been in the eighties but wasn't really into it.
This time there were some references I now understood a little better but still this isn't a movie I cherish. Probably won't watch it again.

Same with "Family Plot", which I decided to watch after that. Not exactly a masterpiece and a little too long, I think it was okay. Not the best way to end such a marvellous career of directing. And compared to my third-favourite Hitchcock movie (the other two being "Psycho" and "The Birds") "Frenzy", this one really stinks. :wink:

Oh, and by the way: finally my favourite movie of all time, "The Time Machine" will be released on Blu-ray in July!!! :D

I confess that I have never understood what the fuss was about with Trouble with Harry either!

Tue May 13, 2014 4:13 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:On sunday I watched the "War Of The Worlds" remake for about the fifth time (for the first time on blu-ray).

I confess that I have never understood what the fuss was about with Trouble with Harry either!

I liked "Weekend At Bernie's" better! :P

Tue May 13, 2014 10:06 pm

The 2005 version of War of the Worlds would have to have been a real clunker for me not to like it. I've always loved the films of Steven Spielberg, Tom Cruise is one of my favourite actors, I'm a big fan of H.G. Wells and I'm fond of many film adaptations of his stories, Byron Haskin's take on War of the World's in particular. Like Haskin, Spielberg was smart in keeping his invasion film contemporary and although Cruise plays a father for one of the first times on screen, he's great in the role of a caring, but unreliable dad who isn't entirely heroic, but becomes very dependable. Perfect for Cruise and almost neo-Hitchcockian in a sense. I liked Dokota Fanning here and thought Justin Chatwin, who played Cruise's son, was also good. Especially because they made for a cohesive, believable unit who worked well off each other. Morgan Freeman's narration certainly sets the tone, though, and the first invasion is an invigorating cocktail of wonder, awe, intrigue and peril. The crashed airplane and mob trying to board the ferry carry a stark immediacy that's quite grim, although Tim Robbins seems as though he's dropped in from another film given the shift in tone when he's on screen. I also liked the use of the original sets and Gene Barry and Ann Robinson's cameos at the end. And although there's a broad subtext to the film, it's problematic when, as with the novel and the original movie, it's stripped of a climax given how the invaders die. But Spielberg did stage part this particularly well.

I do like The Trouble With Harry, incidentally, but it's not a favourite Hitchcock film by any means. It's quite twee and unassuming, perhaps too much so. In this sense, it could have been ten minutes shorter because it's not a very eventful movie despite the actual trouble with Harry. But the performances are very endearing and Bernard Herrman's score is really charming. Family Plot, on the other hand, as a film I really like. It's quietly intriguing at first, taking small steps introducing the central characters then it suddenly moves to another set of characters and a new aspect of the story without missing a step. Which is keen writing that's fully realised by first-class directing. The performances are also very, very good -- Bruce Dern in particular, whilst William Devane and Karen Black are excellent in their roles. And without the lurking need to shock the audience, Hitchcock pulls back a little here, being meticulous to a fault as his narrative grip slowly tightens before a third act that's so finely tuned as to be akin to a Swiss watch. Its twists, turns, thrills and surprises are laced with a heady dose of irony that lingers after the credits roll. For me, at least.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Godzilla. I've been a fan of kaiju and monster movies in general all my life. I'll see it on Thursday I think. Over the weekend I saw Sabotage and The Wind Rises. Sabotage was quite poor, being very much in the David Ayer tradition in many respects, but just crass. The Wind Rises, which is a real gem of a film and, sadly, the last feature film of the great Hayao Miyazaki. Who, like Hitchcock in his time, is one of the few directors whose name transcends his films, although more so in the far east.

Tue May 13, 2014 11:00 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I saw Parkland tonight, which tells the story of the JFK assassination through the eyes of the doctors, the Oswald family, the police, the FBI and secret service and the man who inadvertently filmed the assassination.

I thought it was a fine piece of work that deserves to be better known. It's an intelligent piece, cleverly interweaving the various stories. It's also a remarkably tense film, which is surprising since we all know the basic narrative. Writer/director Peter Landesman has brilliantly knitted historic footage with dramatic scenes and sequences that are clearly intended to look documentary-like (such as the arrival of Kennedy at the hospital). It also lacks the self-importance of some other films dealing with these events, most notable "JFK." This is, essentially, a small film, not an epic retelling - and is all the better for it.

The performances are universally superb. Billy Bob Thornton is the best he has been for years and Jacki Weaver is brilliant as Marguerite Oswald. Meanwhile, the first half of the film relies on a performance from Zac Efron that shows once again that he is far more than just a pretty face, something he has shown previously in films such as Me and Orson Welles, 17 Again and The Paperboy - a film that he nearly managed to rescue. I see he's signed up for an adaptation of the Grisham novel The Associate - one of Grisham's best in recent years - and may well be a good choice.

Parkland only got a limited release in the UK last year, but is certainly well worth seeking out.

I missed Parkland on release but I'll see it eventually. I thought it looked promising, although the dramatic crux does seem to have its drawbacks through some familiarity. Good review, though. I also rate Zac Efron as a good actor with lots of potential and like to see him taking some risks.

Wed May 14, 2014 12:32 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:

One of mine too ! hope there is loads of extras on the blu-ray !!!

Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 am

V
rocknroller wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

One of mine too ! hope there is loads of extras on the blu-ray !!!

I'm really looking forward to The Time Machine Blu-ray, too. And Shogun, which has just been announced. This is still my favourite mini-series and one of my favourite novels. Just back from Opium on Hope Street, incidentally. I love it! My favourite restaurant.

Thu May 15, 2014 2:33 am

I'm going to make a statement for the defence for a film that is supposedly one of the worst horror films made. So, why did I buy it and watch it? Well, it was a penny on Amazon and I got curious.

However, I found much to enjoy in "Frogs" (1972). It's a kind of amphibian version of Hitchcock's The Birds. Ray Milland plays Jason Crockett, the owner of a mansion on a private island who has gathered his family together for his annual birthday celebrations. However, the island's wildlife has other ideas and slowly but surely start killing off the family. It sets itself out as an eco-horror from the very beginning although, as with "The Birds" there is no exact explanation given for the behaviour of the animals, other than the fact they are giving some kind of revenge on humans who are polluting their environment.

I'm sure much of the film's bad reputation comes from the title, which does admittedly sound rather daft. However, the film itself is surprisingly well done, all things considered. The atmosphere is built up through endless shots of, well, frogs within scenes (virtually ALL scenes). This is set up at the beginning when Pickett Smith, played by Sam Elliott, is taking photos of the wildlife of the island. What makes this build up of tension work so well, however, is that there are long stretches of the film that are effectively silent. Other than the sounds of birds or croaking from the frogs, there are no sound effects, and the usual crescendo of music that nearly always signals a murder or death in a horror film is absent. There is no music here for the most part, and it only adds to the bizarre creepiness of the film.

Some of it is very silly (such as death-by-turtle), but some of the deaths are rather uncomfortable to watch – particularly the first one that we see occurring on screen. And, as with the Hitchcock film, even more eerie is the lack of intelligent explanation at the end. These events just happen.

The film falls down in some respects, though, not least through the writing of Milland’s character. His actions are downright absurd at times, and the dialogue he spouts is often ludicrous. Milland’s acting is less than great also – I’ve never found him to be the most convincing of actors at the best of times, but there are moments here when he is downright appalling. Some of the other actors are less than stellar too, but Sam Shepherd is superb, and manages to hold the whole thing together.

So, I put the DVD in expecting to be giggling my way through a campfest, and ended up thinking “that wasn’t at all bad.” It’s a lesson that we should all know by now – some films have a reputation for being bad for no real reason, and this is a case in point. So, if you see it on Amazon for a penny, it’s well worth considering for ninety minutes of sometimes daft but sometimes very eerie entertainment.

Thu May 15, 2014 7:53 am

Last night i watched the 1998 version of "Godzilla" forgot how good it was for its time,Cant wait to see the new one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 15, 2014 9:29 am

I watched "Wolf of Wall Street" on Putlocker: http://putlocker.bz/watch-the-wolf-of-w ... ocker.html I just noticed that the movie has since been deleted.

I couldn't like the Belfort character at all, although DiCaprio himself, who played Belfort, is likeable and to me, would have made Belfort more digestible, due to DiCaprio's likeability. In real life Belfort, to me, who looks like the sneaky cat who swallowed the canary, was a penny stockbroker, who ripped off families, collectively of millions, was subsequently charged and jailed for securities fraud. Although ordered to pay full restitution, Belfort has only repaid thus far $12 million, as per his government; Belfort states he has returned $23 million, of the $110 million owing.

What is very interesting, is that this criminal, Belfort, has been visiting Australia, and plans to "share his business knowledge", through seminars on a subsequent trip, to business people here. He has made a huge mistake, though. For publicity, he bullied our Liz Hayes from 60 minutes. Big mistake, huge mistake to do that in Australia, as Australians rally around their own. Gordon Ramsey, that disgusting, foul mouthed chef, tried the same thing for publicity, he tried to bully and ridicule our Tracy Grimshaw, from A Current Affair, and it backfired on him. (Tom Cruise was wildly disliked due to the break-up of his marriage to our Nicole, lol).

Good to see Karma working - CYA Belfort. :smt006 :smt005

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv ... 6918347750