Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:46 pm

rjm wrote:TCM is having an Oscar month, So I am seeing many classics.

Was stoked to finally see Marty. My dad always loved it. I never saw but just a little piece of it.

It's a brief picture. Didn't expect it to end so abruptly. But perfect in its way.

If you leave aside the dated gender assumptions and the premature aging of everyone, it makes a powerful little message.

When the picture begins, it seems as if Marty is the only unhappy person in his world. By the end, he (and his gal) are the only happy people. Everyone else is not only miserable, but they want to spread around the misery.

Marty escapes. It leaves you feeling good.

But that poor actress must have been ruined by this role! She's portrayed as the ugliest girl in the world. (And she wasn't.)

It was interesting to go back to a time so different from anything I know.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Marty is a wonderful movie, rjm. It's so very easy to become enchanted by the characters and some great performances; Ernie Borgnine in particular. This was a film that took the public and critics quite unaware in 1955, and still retains that appeal. It's a real gem.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:16 am

greystoke wrote:I think Jonah Hill certainly deserves his second Oscar nomination for a quite fascinating performance in The Wolf of Wall Street. Hill, despite the hair, clothes, glasses and teeth, never once slips into caricature as a highly competitive, ruthless buffoon whose role as a sidekick to Di Caprio doesn't relegate him to an alsoran -- in fact, some of the best and funniest lines in the film are delivered by Hill. Whilst there's an assuredness to his performance that only increased with each audacious scene. Leo is sensational here, of course, and on career-best form along with Hill, who is increasingly interesting and promising as an actor. I still have some reservations about The Wolf of Wall Street, although it is a terrific film. Whilst the characters need not be likeable to be understood or for an audience to follow them; and I didn't actually find Justin Belfort unlikable, simply that I needed more of an avenue into him as a character to draw more from him. Had that been the case, he surely would have been more of a risible character, but Scorsese and Di Caprio revel in his excess and stay on the surface of his wanton behaviour, showing without telling, never painting him or his actions with true or harsh consequences, which is possibly key to this film being so enjoyable and brisk over three hours. However, there's a scene in the film, which I'm sure anyone who has seen it will recall, in which Matthew McConaughey mentors Di Caprio over lunch and through some oddities and physical ticks explains that corporate finance is all "fairy dust" and isn't real or tangible. This scene almost mirrors the movie, itself, with Di Caprio sitting uncomfortably in the role of the audience as McConaughey tells him that its all an illusion -- and that's just what we see in the film. An illusion of excess, told brilliantly; but there are flaws which may not hinder the narrative, but do raise questions upon further examination.

there were better performances than his. the fact this guy was even in a Scorcese movies is a insult. thankfully he won't win.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 am

Saw Robocop. Very Dull. a good cast with Sam Jackson, Michael Keaton, Gary Oldman. But all of them have been in better movies and given better performances. none of them blow u away but its not their fault. anyone could have played Robocop. The guy they got shows nothing. Abbie Cornish as Robocops wife does a good job and is the heart of of the film. the theatre i saw it in wasn't even half full.Ugh.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:13 pm

DEH wrote:Saw Robocop. Very Dull. a good cast with Sam Jackson, Michael Keaton, Gary Oldman. But all of them have been in better movies and given better performances. none of them blow u away but its not their fault. anyone could have played Robocop. The guy they got shows nothing. Abbie Cornish as Robocops wife does a good job and is the heart of of the film. the theatre i saw it in wasn't even half full.Ugh.

When I saw Robocop it was in a very full house, which comprised of quite a few younger kids with their parents. But this film's name, alone, is enough to sell the movie to a certain generation -- although it's been well-marketed despite doing just Ok business. I didn't love the film, but I didn't dislike it either -- but you're right, it needed an injection of adrenaline in places. Although I do think the director, Jose Padilha, did approach the film with good intentions and much reverence for the original movie. What's quite amiss here is a truly scathing brand of satire and a good sense of humour; the latter especially, because the direction and plotting is so straight-laced as to be languid at times. I think the inclusion of Samuel L. Jackson's chat show host was written with those intentions, but it didn't work, in my opinion, and proved more diverting than enlightening. Whilst the same issues hampered a quite bland Alex Murphy, who remained too self-aware despite the mechanisms of Omnicorp. Here, I thought Gary Oldman was very good and approached his role as a Baron Frankenstein-type scientist with some verve, but around him, the likes of Michael Keaton's corporate boss and Jackie Earl Hayley's enforcer/trainer played beyond secondary. Abbie Cornish, who I like as an actress, certainly tried to evoke a strong sense of emotion in her role as Murphy's wife, but this was a bit of a thankless role that she elevated. There were, however, some nice touches and creative moments in the film -- the dream sequence, with Frank Sinatra, was very well done, whilst the use of a mounted camera on the motorbike near the climax added a welcome touch of immediacy. I also expected something else from Samuel L. Jackson, but won't say what I was thinking for the sake of spoiling the film for anyone. Financial success allowing, there's certainly scope for a sequel, but something along the lines of the recent Judge Dredd movie may be more apt. Not that I was wholly enamoured by that film, but it had more cynical tone and better realised themes than Robocop. Plus, it seemed to aspire to less and achieve more into the bargain.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:27 pm

Another one that shouldn't have been rebooted. When we saw that the theatre was less than half full, it wasn't a good sign. Robots have been in movies for a very, very long time. A key influence, from a design and performance perspective, was Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still. Unfortunately like with the remake for The Day The Earth Stood Still, hoping Robocop would live up to the original, it missed the mark and they failed to attract people's attention as they had hoped.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:59 pm

greystoke wrote:
DEH wrote:Saw Robocop. Very Dull. a good cast with Sam Jackson, Michael Keaton, Gary Oldman. But all of them have been in better movies and given better performances. none of them blow u away but its not their fault. anyone could have played Robocop. The guy they got shows nothing. Abbie Cornish as Robocops wife does a good job and is the heart of of the film. the theatre i saw it in wasn't even half full.Ugh.

When I saw Robocop it was in a very full house, which comprised of quite a few younger kids with their parents. But this film's name, alone, is enough to sell the movie to a certain generation -- although it's been well-marketed despite doing just Ok business. I didn't love the film, but I didn't dislike it either -- but you're right, it needed an injection of adrenaline in places. Although I do think the director, Jose Padilha, did approach the film with good intentions and much reverence for the original movie. What's quite amiss here is a truly scathing brand of satire and a good sense of humour; the latter especially, because the direction and plotting is so straight-laced as to be languid at times. I think the inclusion of Samuel L. Jackson's chat show host was written with those intentions, but it didn't work, in my opinion, and proved more diverting than enlightening. Whilst the same issues hampered a quite bland Alex Murphy, who remained too self-aware despite the mechanisms of Omnicorp. Here, I thought Gary Oldman was very good and approached his role as a Baron Frankenstein-type scientist with some verve, but around him, the likes of Michael Keaton's corporate boss and Jackie Earl Hayley's enforcer/trainer played beyond secondary. Abbie Cornish, who I like as an actress, certainly tried to evoke a strong sense of emotion in her role as Murphy's wife, but this was a bit of a thankless role that she elevated. There were, however, some nice touches and creative moments in the film -- the dream sequence, with Frank Sinatra, was very well done, whilst the use of a mounted camera on the motorbike near the climax added a welcome touch of immediacy. I also expected something else from Samuel L. Jackson, but won't say what I was thinking for the sake of spoiling the film for anyone. Financial success allowing, there's certainly scope for a sequel, but something along the lines of the recent Judge Dredd movie may be more apt. Not that I was wholly enamoured by that film, but it had more cynical tone and better realised themes than Robocop. Plus, it seemed to aspire to less and achieve more into the bargain.

definately more humor was needed. Sam would have been perfect for that. he is great at bringing humor in to spice things up to relieve tension and keep things moving. he did that perfectly in Django Unchained. they needed a better villian too.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Last night we saw "The Book Thief"
Quite simply put,Brilliant
mobile reply

Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 pm

Started watching "The Tower" (Ta-weo) last night and despite the very special Korean humour enjoyed it so far (although some people said I should skip the first 30 minutes). And Ye-jin Son is really eye candy! :smt007
Ye-jin_Son.jpg
Ye-jin Son3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:06 am

Dragon dies hard 2/6

Bruce Li dreams that the real Lee is trying to tell him who killed him and Li wants revenge.

I found it meh , no memorable fight scenes.

Chinese Kung Fu vs Godfather 4/6

Naive kid brings package (he's un-aware of it's contents) on a plane from H.K to Amsterdam , needless to say he gets into trouble.

The late Lee Kun (of Big Boss/Fist of Fury fame) plays a skirt chaser who ends up as his friend.

Prolly more of a fish-on-land comedy than hardcore kung fu , great location shooting though.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:02 am

This old favorite of mine was just released on blu ray recently. Vintage Eastwood is tough to beat. This movie had a great cast and is very enjoyable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 pm

jak wrote:This old favorite of mine was just released on blu ray recently. Vintage Eastwood is tough to beat. This movie had a great cast and is very enjoyable.

Thats a great film,that also features "Where Do I Go From Here"as its theme song

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:17 pm

Last night we had thechance to see "Nebraska"starring Bruce Dern,one of my favorite films this year so far
After receiving a sweepstakes letter in the mail, a cantankerous old alcoholic thinks he's struck it rich and wrangles his son into taking a road trip across the heartland of America to claim the fortune

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:28 pm

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Before that, Intouchables.

Both most enjoyable.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:53 pm

londonflash wrote:The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Before that, Intouchables.

Both most enjoyable.

Thoroughly enjoyed Besy Marigold Hotel

mobile reply

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:58 am

I will have the blu ray of Nebraska tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it. Bruce Dern has always been a good actor. I'm glad his latest performance is getting so much notice.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 pm

"The Shootist" (1976) , Starring John Wayne & Lauren Bacall. (John Wayne's last movie)

JB Books.....what a way to go !

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:38 am

TCB-FAN wrote:"The Shootist" (1976) , Starring John Wayne & Lauren Bacall. (John Wayne's last movie)

Great movie

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:26 am

keninlincs wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:"The Shootist" (1976) , Starring John Wayne & Lauren Bacall. (John Wayne's last movie)

Great movie

It certainly was. One of Wayne's greatest "swan song" performances. The chemistry between Wayne & Bacall was outstanding. And yes, Jimmy Stewart was also in the movie as JB Brooks' doctor. I believe Bacall received a Golden Globe nomination for best supporting role. Highly recommend.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:00 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
keninlincs wrote:

Great movie

It certainly was. One of Wayne's greatest "swan song" performances. The chemistry between Wayne & Bacall was outstanding. And yes, Jimmy Stewart was also in the movie as JB Brooks' doctor. I believe Bacall received a Golden Globe nomination for best supporting role. Highly recommend.

I always really liked it because it just wasn't a typical western at all. It was a film about some really important issues of life, death, connection. Very different. And excellent.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:40 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
keninlincs wrote:

Great movie

A classic always been one of my fav john wayne movies !!!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:46 pm

keninlincs wrote:Last night we had thechance to see "Nebraska"starring Bruce Dern,one of my favorite films this year so far
After receiving a sweepstakes letter in the mail, a cantankerous old alcoholic thinks he's struck it rich and wrangles his son into taking a road trip across the heartland of America to claim the fortune

Awesome movie. I watched it yesterday.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Went to see non - stop and the book thief at the cinema.non stop was ok nothing special.the book thief was an amazing movie a must see i loved it and will buy when it comes out on blu-ry.Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson are both great in there roles, but its young Sophie Nélisse who plays Liesel that really makes this movie,she is wonderful in every scene she is in !!!
Last edited by rocknroller on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 am

Carrie remake Chloe Grace Moretz it was good too. Interview With Chloe about Carrie please read.
MORETZ: The book was pretty much our only source of material. The book.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: You didn’t look at the other movies?

MORETZ: Nope. We didn’t even want to even subconsciously copy anything.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: Were you a horror fan before this?

MORETZ: Yeah. I think that horror is a fun, interesting genre. This film is more of a psychological horror, which I prefer because it’s got a lot of emotion and heart. Along with surprise and terror, it has a real storyline, which I think speaks to more.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: What’s that storyline that attracted you? What about Carrie as a character spoke to you?

MORETZ: I think really that it was the way that she was naive, ostracized, vulnerable, and manipulated, but, at the same time, no matter what, she was like a puppy. No matter how many times you push them away, there’s a wonder, an enthrallment with the outside world that she gets from looking into other people’s lives. That was exciting for me to play because it was nuanced. It’s a character that no matter how many times they are hurt, they always find the silver lining in the darkness.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: How did you tap into that high school culture of today that you may not have a lot of experience with given your life as an actress?

MORETZ: I think it worked because Carrie doesn’t have any high school experience. My lack of high school experience actually helped me play this part. I don’t go to high school. I don’t go around many kids my age. I am shy and nervous around a lot of people who are my age. It worked definitely in my favor.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: When you get a project like this one, do you consider the script first or does who you’re working with really matter? Did you want to work with Kimberly and Julianne?

MORETZ: The script is key. It could be Meryl Streep…I’ve gone to projects and been like, “Oh my God, da-da-da is in it and da-da-da is in it! And that director!” And then I read the script and my character isn’t where it needed to be. Even if it’s an amazing script, you want to be challenged and excited by a project and not just be “The Kid,” “The Sister,” “The Love Interest of the Male Lead.” I want to play nuanced characters that are different from me that no one has seen me do before. I could go every day and work in very great big projects but in small roles that aren’t going to push me as an actor or do anything for me in that way. I want to be challenged and not just walking through…bored.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: Is there anyone you look at career-wise and go that’s the path I want to take?

MORETZ: There are hundreds of people. Julianne Moore, Juliette Binoche, Natalie Portman. There’s so many people I could talk about that I’m really interesting in and I think are brilliant with their career choices. Amy Adams! She has one of the best careers of any actress out there. She has chosen solid projects from comedy to drama to horror to thriller. She’s chosen really quality projects. No one recognizes that enough. I really look up to her.
Carrie
Carrie
Photo credit: Sony

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: She jumps genres, like you do. Is that important to you? To show you can do comedy, drama, horror, etc.?

MORETZ: Yeah, totally. You should try…I think a real actor will stretch their boundaries and try and different forms of acting. You have to use different elements of acting within each project. Even if it’s a comedy, you can’t be laughy-laughy all the time. “Bridesmaids” was hilarious but it had sweet moments too like Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy on the couch. You have to have range.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: 50 credits at age 16. A) Do you ever consider taking a break and B) Is it important to you to be constantly working? I think a lot of actors your age fall into the celebrity side of the profession and forget the work.

MORETZ: That’s what I find annoying. Now, it’s all about fashion. The new celebrity side of the job is clearing your schedule to go to every fashion week event, the Met Ball,…

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: Instead of working.

MORETZ: Exactly. I’m going, “That’s cute and all but I would rather be prepping for a project if I’m not working or on a project.” That’s my JOB. That’s what I love to do. Going to a catwalk is cute and all but it’s not what I love to do. I’m not a model nor am I a fashion blogger nor am I an editor.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: You mentioned Julianne Moore as someone you idolize or appreciate. Do you still get that awe feeling when you work with people like that?

MORETZ: I get it from random people, to be honest. The more that I am in LOVE with an actor, I hope they’re nice so it doesn’t ruin my idea of them. But I get shocked by meeting artists and stuff.
Carrie
Carrie
Photo credit: Sony

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: Like who?

MORETZ: Christina Aguilera walked in front of me and I was like, “Oooh. Hey. What’s up?” People that I’ve grown up with. If I met Hillary Duff, I would 100% geek out. If I met Mary-Kate and Ashley? Totally freak-out. It’s random people. I grew up with their movies. That’s my “Oh my Gosh.”

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: What did we learn from Julianne Moore as an actress?

MORETZ: It’s her intensity that she always brings and her range of emotion. Just look at “Savage Grace.” That’s one of the most amazing roles I’ve seen on-screen. She goes from being this horrible mother to making you feel bad for her. She can do no wrong in my eyes. In “Crazy Stupid Love,” you first think she’s just playing “The Mom.” No! She’s brilliant. She’s so good. I love her. In short, I LOVE Julianne Moore.

HOLLYWOODCHICAGO.COM: An actor once told me that he saw every movie as a learning experience. What was the learning experience on this one?

MORETZ: I learned so much. I really changed as a person. I went from being this young actress who hadn’t really done a role that I had been stretched in yet but this film really turned me into an adult actor. I went places I didn’t even think I could go. I tried things that I had never done before. For me, it sounds cliched, but the entire process was SO life-changing for me. I learned more than I have in my entire career on this one project.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:36 am

Went to see ride along and dallas buyers club.ride along was funny in parts but unfortunately most of the funny bits where shown in the trailer.dallas buyers club turned out to be a very good movie after a slow start for me.very hard hitting as the subject matter suggests.never been a fan of Matthew McConaughey but must take my hat of as he puts in a fine performance as Ron Woodroof and Jennifer Garner is fantastic as always.now i know Jared Leto better as the lead singer of the band 30 Seconds to Mars and have never seen him in a movie before,he was amazing as Rayon ! must give him 10 out of 10.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:12 am

Last night we saw "Winters Tale" starring Russell Crowe,Colin Farrell and Will Smith among others, a great film about the eternal fight between good and evil,watch it its good

mobile reply