Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:17 pm

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to see The Wolf of Wall Street at the cinema yeaterday,as a one off watch it was a good movie as far as the story goes well over the top.Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing as always.the downside (for me)i hated the main character Jordan Belfort now i don't mind people doing well for themselfs in life,but if everything this guy did thats in the movie is true then i just can not relate to the character,he stole from working class people and became rich and out of contol and the more i watched the more irritated i became.would i buy this movie to keep no,would i watch it again no,but as a one off movie worth watching for an eye opener to see how higher up people deal with our money or even run our country.

I think an inability to find a way to really empathise with Jordan Belfort, or at least get on his side, is one if the few drawbacks in The Wolf of Wall Street. I liked it very much, incidentally, but you're absolutely right, rocknroller. Di Caprio is sensational here, of course; it's one of his best performances, in my opinion. But we never see the other side of his actions -- the ramifications on those whom he scams, and whose voices we only occasionally hear. There isn't much in the way of remorse, either, which begs the question of whether this really is a cautionary tale, or a film that revels in the excess shown. There's also a slight air of misogyny, although I would like to think this isn't deliberate. Scorsese depicts a man's world, and other than Joanna Lumley, who was very good here, the female roles are both limited and dubious when, near the end, a co-worker who is said to have been very important for the company and having been there from the start, was totally new to my eyes within the narrative. Perhaps I missed her earlier in the film, but this was a token nod among hookers and strippers. I thought Margot Robbie, who played Belfort's second wife, was very good in her role, though. She's gorgeous and captivating on screen, but brings more than great looks; she plays smart and has tons of personality. I also thought she was good in About Time, Richard Curtis' most recent film.

Im glad its not just me then lol.i thought there was a large air of misogyny,not saying that some men would not act like this if they had the money but Belfort and his sidekicks were way over the top if this was working class guys even trying to do this they would be in jail.your right no ramifications only a short spell in jail and its all forgotten about.that said love the scene where di caprio is fighting with his second wife in the bedroom and she throw's water over him its so funny and your right Margot Robbie was great in her roll and stunning to look at also !!!

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Greystoke
Here is another Ang Lee film from my collection. I'm sure you must have seen it. This another one of his films that seems to go unnoticed. I enjoyed it very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 am

Just finished this film. I felt like a good sprawling Mandarin epic would get me in the mood for the Super Bowl. I can't get enough of these type of films. Chow Yun Fat is a favorite. For those who appreciate good audio,this film is reference quality.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:17 pm

th.jpg
On friday we saw "I,Frankenstein"based on the graphic comic novel,a waste of a title and a character in a film that should have just been about the war with the gargoyles and the demons,instead of using the "Frankenstein "character to put butts on seats.
On Saturday we watched a film recommended a while ago by "Greystoke"called"The Selfish Giant"
A bleak depressing look at David Camerons Britain.Two young schoolboys find their close-knit friendship beginning to unravel as they fall under the spell of an unscrupulous scrap-dealer in this bleak drama based on the story by Oscar Wilde. Consummate outsiders both in school and in life, 13-year-old Arbor (Conner Chapman) and his best mate Swifty (Shaun Thomas) find their futures looking uncertain after being expelled from school. Despite their shared setback, both boys remain determined to provide for their families, even if it means performing shady jobs for local scrap-metal merchant Kitten (Sean Gilder).

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:28 pm

jak wrote:Just finished this film. I felt like a good sprawling Mandarin epic would get me in the mood for the Super Bowl. I can't get enough of these type of films. Chow Yun Fat is a favorite. For those who appreciate good audio,this film is reference quality.

There's some interesting themes in Ride With the Devil, although it's not one of my favourite Ang Lee films. Visually, it's very impressive and well acted, whilst Lee does offer a unique view of the American Civil War that's told with an eye on the small before the big. I haven't seen The Assassins yet, but I'm a big fan of Chow Yun Fat and have been since the heroic bloodshed era. He's a fine actor and exudes tremendous screen presence.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:32 pm

keninlincs wrote:
th.jpg
On friday we saw "I,Frankenstein"based on the graphic comic novel,a waste of a title and a character in a film that should have just been about the war with the gargoyles and the demons,instead of using the "Frankenstein "character to put butts on seats.
On Saturday we watched a film recommended a while ago by "Greystoke"called"The Selfish Giant"
A bleak depressing look at David Camerons Britain.Two young schoolboys find their close-knit friendship beginning to unravel as they fall under the spell of an unscrupulous scrap-dealer in this bleak drama based on the story by Oscar Wilde. Consummate outsiders both in school and in life, 13-year-old Arbor (Conner Chapman) and his best mate Swifty (Shaun Thomas) find their futures looking uncertain after being expelled from school. Despite their shared setback, both boys remain determined to provide for their families, even if it means performing shady jobs for local scrap-metal merchant Kitten (Sean Gilder).

I had my reservations about I, Frankenstein and can't say that I'm in a hurry to see it, Ken. It seems to have a slant on Underworld met with the Van Helsing film from a few years ago. Hope you liked The Selfish Giant, though; I thought it was superb and one of last year's best films.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:19 pm

Last film I watched (all the way through for the first time, incidentally, was "Jailhouse Rock". I'd forgotten how good Elvis was in the role of Vince Everett!

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:04 pm

greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
th.jpg

I had my reservations about I, Frankenstein and can't say that I'm in a hurry to see it, Ken. It seems to have a slant on Underworld met with the Van Helsing film from a few years ago. Hope you liked The Selfish Giant, though; I thought it was superb and one of last year's best films.
Yes I really liked "The Selfish Giant"british movie making at its finest,Conner Chapman was superb in his portrayal of the troubled Arbor, and Bradford never looked so cold

mobile reply

Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:05 pm

I never heard of The Selfish Giant. I see it's available on Amazon UK and Ebay. I will add this film to my list of purchases in the next week or so.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:41 pm

jak wrote:I never heard of The Selfish Giant. I see it's available on Amazon UK and Ebay. I will add this film to my list of purchases in the next week or so.

Hi Jak,it is well worth picking up
mobile reply

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:49 am

keninlincs wrote: "The Selfish Giant"british movie making at its finest,Conner Chapman was superb in his portrayal of the troubled Arbor, and Bradford never looked so cold.

mobile reply

Sounds like a movie I'll be picking up soon. Thanks Ken. :smt023

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 pm

A perfect murder (1998) starring Michael Douglas, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Viggo Mortensen. A remake of the Alfred Hitchcock classic Dial M for Murder (1954).
This is a great film, the story is excellent and the performances are great too.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:30 pm

Last night we watched "Philomena"starring Judi Dench and Steve Coogan,Based on the book by Martin Sixsmith and with a screenplay by Steve Coogan.No spoilers here apart from its a mothers search for the son she had taken away from her by Nuns in the 1950s,another great film from the UK.surely Oscar material

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:41 pm

keninlincs wrote:Last night we watched "Philomena"starring Judi Dench and Steve Coogan,Based on the book by Martin Sixsmith and with a screenplay by Steve Coogan.No spoilers here apart from its a mothers search for the son she had taken away from her by Nuns in the 1950s,another great film from the UK.surely Oscar material

Where is "Philomena" from?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:59 pm

I also thought Philomena was very good, Ken. It’s a film that finds a near perfect balance between heart-warming and humorous, but never tries to undermine the fact that this is a sad and tragic story of a girl whose baby was taken from her through no fault of her own. Steve Coogan surprised me here, both with the quality of his screenplay and with a very layered, assertive and genuine performance. Judi Dench was perfectly cast as the titular Philomena, whilst a sure hand was present throughout with Stephen Frears in the director’s chair. A good companion piece to Philomena is Peter Mullan’s 2002 film, The Magdalene Sisters, which is harrowing, but is an excellent movie with a poignant and powerful story at its core. I don't think that Philomena will win any Oscars this year, although it's a worthy nominee in four categories and may well surprise in the Best Adapted Screenplay category -- although my tip is 12 Years a Slave.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Yeah 12 year slave for me too !!!

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:56 pm

rocknroller wrote:Yeah 12 year slave for me too !!!

In every category that it's nominated?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:00 am

greystoke wrote:

I think its nominated for 9 Academy Awards so i think it might win 8 !!!

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:06 am

Cant see past Mathew McConaughey for best actor, powerhouse of a performance.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:18 am

memfisking wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Last night we watched "Philomena"starring Judi Dench and Steve Coogan,Based on the book by Martin Sixsmith and with a screenplay by Steve Coogan.No spoilers here apart from its a mothers search for the son she had taken away from her by Nuns in the 1950s,another great film from the UK.surely Oscar material

Where is "Philomena" from?
Its Irish

mobile reply

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 am

Eddie wrote:Cant see past Mathew McConaughey for best actor, powerhouse of a performance.
Agree,he was suprb in Dallas Buyers Club

mobile reply

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:19 am

greystoke wrote:

It should win some

mobile reply

Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:33 am

I agree, it will win some but not all, the supporting actor for me is a dead heat between Fassbender and Leto, [of the films Ive seen] and I'd have to give Leto the edge for that mesmerising turn in Dallas Buyers Club, wonderful piece of acting.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Both Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto gave tremendous performances in Dallas Buyers Club, and from what I can gather the momentum is with them heading into the Oscars, although Chiwetel Ejiofor and Michael Fassbender were equally impressive in 12 Years a Slave. Personally, I'm leaning towards Ejiofor and Fassbender, but with the Screen Actors' Guild choosing McConaughey and Leto, they're surely the favourites at the moment. Either would be deserving winners, of course, although the entire field in both categories boasts impressive performances. This in mind, I wouldn't count out Barkhad Abdi for his terrific debut performance in Captain Phillips; whilst another big screen debut, Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years a Slave, is my firm favourite to win for Best Supporting Actress. I'm just as certain about Cate Blanchett in the Leading Actress category for her brilliant performance in Blue Jasmine.

My pick for Best Picture is also 12 Years a Slave, but the competition is of such a high quality, and with so many popular choices, that it's not unlikely that either Gravity or American Hustle will win Best Picture. I would like to see Steve McQueen win Best Director for 12 Years a Slave, but have a feeling that Alfonso Cauron is going to win here. And he would certainly deserve to, whilst Gravity seems like a sure choice in the Cinematography, Visual Effects and Production Design categories. Best Editing, I think, will go to Joe Walker for 12 Years a Slave, which is just so brilliantly constructed; but there's an energy and pacing to American Hustle that's most impressive, which makes me lean slightly towards the trio of Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers and Alan Baumgarten for their work here. American Hustle is surely a strong condender for Best Costume Design also, given the nature of the film and thrust of a narrative which is very much about putting on a facade. But it's stylish and stylised to a fault and relishes in the era in which it's set. Which makes David O. Russell's film conspicuous by its absence from the Best Make-Up and Hair category -- but I think Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews will win this one for their work with Jared Leto alone!

The category for Best Score is very strong, although I haven't seen Her or The Book Thief yet, but I thought Thomas Newman's work on Saving Mr. Banks was quite excellent and has my pick over Alexandre Desplat and Stephen Price for Philomena and Gravity, respectively. Best Song is also interesting this year, with U2 in contention with a fine song and Pharrell Williams' infections Get Happy surely being the favourites. My pick here is Pharrell for his song from Despicable Me 2, which I haven't seen, nor have I seen anything in the Best Animated Feature category thus far. Whilst the only film I've seen in the Best Foreign Language Film category is The Hunt, which is an engrossing thriller that I rate most highly. Best Adapted Screenplay is another strong category, but one I think is going to be won by John Ridley for 12 Years a Slave. Best Original Screenplay is a difficult one to choose from, although I'm thinking Woody Allen for Blue Jasmine, Craig Borten and Melissa Wallack's script for Dallas Buyers Club is very, very good. But I still wouldn't overlook American Hustle in any category, although, there's the possibility that it could come up short in every category. Either way, I think 2013 has been one of the best years in cinema for some time and I'm looking forward to seeing this celebrated on Oscar night. BAFTAs first, though . . .

Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Master of flying giljoteen 4.5/6 , starring Wang Yu......pretty good.

Mr Nanny 2/6 , so bad it's good......the badness is kinda chuckle-worthy :lol: