Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 am

I went to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty about a week ago and like you greystoke im a big fan of the danny keye version (as i am with a most of his movie's) i loved ben stillers version and look forward to buying it on blu-ray.not seen Long Walk to Freedom yet hopefully catch it soon.

my fav danny kaye movie is the 1952 classic Hans Christian Andersen !!!

Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:07 pm

Now I'm really looking foward to seeing "All Is Lost" at the local movies.

Started watching "21 Jump Street" but couldn't make it through so far. Quite funny though although I don't dig Channing Tatum and am not very fond of Jonah Hill either. :wink:

Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Last night we saw "The Dallas Buyers Club"Brilliant film and a stunning performance from Mathew McConaughey
Matthew McConaughey stars in DALLAS BUYERS CLUB as real-life Texas cowboy Ron Woodroof, whose free-wheeling life was overturned in 1985 when he was diagnosed as HIV-positive and given 30 days to live. These were the early days of the AIDS epidemic, and the U.S. was divided over how to combat the virus. Ron, now shunned and ostracized by many of his old friends, and bereft of government-approved effective medicines, decided to take matters in his own hands, tracking down alternative treatments from all over the world by means both legal and illegal. Bypassing the establishment, the entrepreneurial Woodroof joined forces with an unlikely band of renegades and outcasts - who he once would have shunned - and established a hugely successful "buyers' club." Their shared struggle for dignity and acceptance is a uniquely American story of the transformative power of resilience.
an oscar for the star is deserved
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm looking forward to Dallas Buyer's Club. Matthew McConaughey has developed into a fine actor actor and he's doing some interesting stuff here.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:38 pm

greystoke wrote:I'm looking forward to Dallas Buyer's Club. Matthew McConaughey has developed into a fine actor actor and he's doing some interesting stuff here.

He lost 50lb to play the part and he looks very gaunt,no one could say he didnt get into the part,my favorite film this year so far

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:03 pm

keninlincs wrote:
greystoke wrote:I'm looking forward to Dallas Buyer's Club. Matthew McConaughey has developed into a fine actor actor and he's doing some interesting stuff here.

He lost 50lb to play the part and he looks very gaunt,no one could say he didnt get into the part,my favorite film this year so far

That's high praise, Ken. He starred in one of my favourites of 2013, Mud. Which I recommend if you haven't seen it.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:25 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
greystoke wrote:@
keninlincs wrote:Last night i saw the remake of Carrie,good enough to waste a couple of hours but i much prefer the original with Sissy Spacek

I agree, Ken. I was quite disappointed with Carrie.

Have you seen "The Devils Pass"yet?
i found that a far better film Renny Harlins direction is suspensful ,and gives the film a good pace with some great atmosphere

I haven't seen it yet, Ken. Although it does seem to have similarities to Hammer's The Abominable Snowman. Which they are remaking, incidentally.

i will recommend it to you,you will be pleasantly surprised.didnt know about the "Snowman"remake.Is it a Hammer production?

I'll be sure to see it, Ken. Yes, the new Abominable Snowman film is a Hammer production. It's great to see them back on their feet and making interesting movies. The Quiet Ones is Hammer's next release.

phpBB [video]

I really enjoyed "The Lady In Black" starring Daniel Radcliffe. Scared the sh*t out of me.

Don't know if I want to see Timberlake playing Sinatra though. And I'm not sure if it would fit Leo - I thought he's going to have a break from the movie business?

Started to watch "Bachlorette" starring Kirsten Dunst and Isla Fisher but couldn't go very far because of time issues.

Timberlake has certainly been influenced by Sinatra, and that's very apparent in the likes of the Suit & Tie video with Jay-Z and the many photos in the booklets for both volumes of the 20/20 Experience. Through that, I can see him in the role, even more than DiCaprio who I thought of almost instantly when the project was first discussed. Timberlake has even been singing New York, New York during concerts, doing so in place of the Sinatra recording that Jay-Z uses as a prelude to Empire State of Mind. But that was sung by an older Sinatra, and whilst there's no certainly with regards to what period of Frank's life Scorsese will be looking at, in my opinion, the best dramatic narrative would stem from around 1934 - 1954. That would make both DiCaprio and Timberlake about the right age to play a teenage and young Sinatra aspiring to be a singer, working in clubs and subsequently with the big bands, going solo, succeeding in Hollywood and then having a personal and professional crash in the early fifties. There's heaps of dramatic potential here, especially with the conflict in leaving Dorsey, affairs with Lana Turner, meeting Ava Gardner, the riots at the Paramount and losing his voice at the Copa. Ending at the 1954 Academy Awards would close the film on a near-perfect note -- even starting there and flashing back before his name is announced. And you're right, I think DiCaprio is taking some time away from acting, although he has spoken with some interest in playing Sinatra.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:31 pm

greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:

That's high praise, Ken. He starred in one of my favourites of 2013, Mud. Which I recommend if you haven't seen it.

We thoroughly enjoyed "Mud"

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:12 pm

Talking of best films from last year, did you happen to see The Selfish Giant, Ken? That was an exceptional film, which was set and shot in Yorkshire.

Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 pm

greystoke wrote:Talking of best films from last year, did you happen to see The Selfish Giant, Ken? That was an exceptional film, which was set and shot in Yorkshire.

I dont think so.i will look on amazon and ebay tonight see if i can get it cheap

Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:44 pm

greystoke wrote:Talking of best films from last year, did you happen to see The Selfish Giant, Ken? That was an exceptional film, which was set and shot in Yorkshire.

preordered it from amazon its not out till end of January

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:18 pm

keninlincs wrote:

preordered it from amazon its not out till end of January

It's definitely going to be worth the wait, Ken. I think you'll love it. I was at the cinema today to see The Railway Man and 12 Years a Slave. The Railway Man is the story of Eric Lomax as both a young man who faced the brutality of his Japanese captors on the Thai-Burmese railway, and as an older man still traumatised by the events. The older Lomax is played by Colin Firth, and the younger, by Jeremy Irvine. Directed by Jonathan Kaplitzky, the narrative jumps between time-frames after we first encounter Lomax, a railway enthusiast, on a train journey where he meets and quickly falls in love with Patricia, who is played by Nicole Kidman. This is certainly a meet-cute of the old fashioned variety as they discuss Brief Encounter and are down the isle before we learn much about either, whilst the sudden emotional breakdown of Lomax suggests that his horrific past hasn't been discussed around the dinner table with his new bride. The flashbacks to the fall of Singapore and, subsequently, Thailand make for an unsettled tone that doesn't easily find its feet amidst some heavy issues, especially within a setting that's familiar to anyone who has seen Bridge on the River Kwai or even Tenko. But Lomax is a character worth investing in, and Irvine, as a lanky, uncertain-looking soldier, acquits himself superbly here as it's revealed just why he is still so emotionally wounded after all these years. But the structure never really allows the narrative to flourish in either setting, with Firth playing so low key that it's credit to his screen presence and understanding of the character that he's not undone by the pacing and a shifting tone. In this respect, it's beneficial that audience members may have some knowledge of the events taking place, but that doesn't make the punishment Lomax takes at the hands of his captors any less unsettling. Here, Tanroh Ishida plays the young Captain Nagase, who dishes out punishment without remorse, yet it's he who becomes vital to the story when it's discovered that he's still alive years after the event. Hiroyuki Sanada plays the older Nagase and does so with the same quiet sincerity of Firth -- which makes it frustrating that such a poignant story is encumbered by familiarity and uneven direction. But this is well-intentioned cinema with performances that are sincere and strong enough to make the climax more moving than it seemed likely to be.

12 Years a Slave, on the other hand, was a work of story-telling mastery and cinematic excellence. It's also harrowing cinema, but brave, daring and challenging. I'm very much a fan of Steve McQueen, whose credentials as a director are growing with each successive film. But here, I was equally impressed by Chiwitel Ejiofor as the enslaved free man, Solomon Northup, whilst Lupita Nyong'o, who makes her debut here as the slave girl, and object of Michael Fassbender's plantation owner's affections, is exceptional. As is Fassbender, whose hateful, drunken and besotted "slave breaker" isn't the kind of one dimensional bogie man that could have been present in such a film, his lusting after Nyong'o's Patsy giving reason for some of his actions, which doesn't excuse the fact, but adds depth of character. Because of that, perhaps, he becomes even more despicable, whilst the more human qualities of other slave owners, such as the one played by Benedict Cumberbatch, doesn't come at the cost of forgetting who they are, where they are, and what they do. It was also good to see Paul Dano stretching himself once again, as he too often plays socially uncomfortable geeks and whizz-kids, but does have range, as seen as an out-and-out villain of a foreman. It's his best performance since There Will be Blood. There are few moments of levity here, which is understandable given the material and a relentless tone, but the individuality of Northup and the hope he holds dear keeps the narrative forward moving, despite the physical and emotional pain that's laid out so openly. Hans Zimmer's score is also very good, whilst Brad Pitt brings a warmth and sincerity that's needed amidst the vicious nature and hateful traits on display. But this is, in my opinion, a tremendous film that's bound for many Oscar nominations next week.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:16 am

Cheers for the great reviews greystoke hopefully catch both movies early next week !!!

Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:18 am

I don't get to watch much at the cinema, and finally tonight got around to watching Silver Linings Playbook. I confess that I thought it was one of the most over-praised films of recent years. While the cast on the whole were very good (particularly De Niro in the first half of the film), the script seemed predictable and clich├ęd, and the characterisation of Pat was particularly troubling speaking as someone who suffers from bipolar.

Firstly his symptoms have little to do with anything I've experienced - or seemingly the experience of any of the many people I have spoken to with the condition. For someone who's "manic-depressive" (to use the old name), we see no evidence of a depressive side - instead he's so manic he's throwing books out of the window and waking his parents in the middle of the night to try to find a videotape. Really? Once again bipolar sufferers are depicted as being unpredictable, obsessive and violent - the character did after all nearly kill a man and hit his mother at one point. There has been a worrying trend over the last few years to depict bipolar sufferers in this way - the Canadian police drama Rookie Blue also springs to mind. Sadly, the more of these depictions we have, the more people will believe that this is the way those with the condition act. We're much more likely to be maxing out our credit cards than hitting people during manic episodes, but I guess that doesn't make good entertainment.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:09 am

One of my favorite films. They don't make them like this anymore. George Sanders is one of my personal favorites. The movie also has an an Elvis connection. Angela Lansbury stars in this picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am

Over the weekend we saw "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" and "Last Vegas"both very enjoyable "Last Vegas"was my favorite of the 2

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:46 am

Last night I watched the chinese drama "Tang shan da di zhen" ("Aftershock"), the story of a family separated as a result of the Great Tangshan Earthquake of 1976. Very moving.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:45 pm

jak wrote:One of my favorite films. They don't make them like this anymore. George Sanders is one of my personal favorites. The movie also has an an Elvis connection. Angela Lansbury stars in this picture.

Also, the great Edith Head, who won one of her seven Oscars for costume design (she had 35 nominations) on Samson and Delilah, served as costume designer on the nine films Elvis starred in for Hal Wallis.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:47 am

greystoke wrote:
jak wrote:One of my favorite films. They don't make them like this anymore. George Sanders is one of my personal favorites. The movie also has an an Elvis connection. Angela Lansbury stars in this picture.

Also, the great Edith Head, who won one of her seven Oscars for costume design (she had 35 nominations) on Samson and Delilah, served as costume designer on the nine films Elvis starred in for Hal Wallis.

Excellent point. Most people never heard of her. It's absolutely amazing the amount of films she worked on. Edith got in front of the camera with her best friend Anne Baxter when they both appeared on Columbo.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:59 am

Last night I watched "Grown-Ups 2" starring Adam Sandler, Salma Hayek a. o.

Goodness, what a dumba*s movie it was. I wondered if the people who wrote the script were constantly stoned.

But I caught myself laughing out loud a lot of times. :D :wink:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Last night I watched "Grown-Ups 2" starring Adam Sandler, Salma Hayek a. o.

Goodness, what a dumba*s movie it was. I wondered if the people who wrote the script were constantly stoned.

Yeah not a patch on the first movie ! lots of the jokes missed there mark,but there was some funny moments.i loved the scene they had to jump in the lake !!!

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:03 pm

rocknroller wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Last night I watched "Grown-Ups 2" starring Adam Sandler, Salma Hayek a. o.

Yeah not a patch on the first movie ! lots of the jokes missed there mark,but there was some funny moments.i loved the scene they had to jump in the lake !!!

"I was inside you"

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:23 pm

keninlincs wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

"I was inside you"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:32 pm

Went to see 12 years a slave today.very hard to watch ! but what an amazing movie.all the cast are amazing.not to give anything away but the end of the movie had tears falling down my face,and that does not happen often with men from the west of scotland !!! lol

all though if we get Independence on the 18 September this year i will cry like a baby !!!

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

rocknroller wrote:Went to see 12 years a slave today.very hard to watch ! but what an amazing movie.all the cast are amazing.not to give anything away but the end of the movie had tears falling down my face,and that does not happen often with men from the west of scotland !!! lol

all though if we get Independence on the 18 September this year i will cry like a baby !!!

It's an incredible film. Glad you liked it. I'm looking forward to The Wolf of Wall Street and Night of the Hunter this week.