Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:09 pm

A great film.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:35 am

Right now I'm in the process of watching the follow-up to the sensational Refn/Gosling movie "Drive": "Only God Forgives". I really don't know what to say yet... :wtf:

phpBB [video]

Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:11 pm

I wasn't greatly impressed by Only God Forgives, although it's well directed and finds Kristen Scott Thomas on sensational form. But this is a mood piece that will either leave you enthralled, bored or maybe even baffled. Still, there's much to appreciate. For example, the way colour is used to signify changing moods, a technique also used in Hero and Far from Heaven. Whilst the tone of this film is stately and funeral to a fault, making it quite impenetrable at times. The blank expressions, staring into space and deliberate movements worked better in Drive because of a simple narrative. Here, the film wallows in a sort of purgatory, the underlying themes requiring more of the viewer than what's actually shown. And that can work to good effect. But here, there's a tug of war between flourishes of style and the need for a true narrative line. The former wins, and whether that's good or bad is probably going to be down to the viewer.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:50 am

A little diversity today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:57 am

jak wrote:A little diversity today.

I confess that Best Years of Our Lives is a pet hate. Yes, I know it's a good film, and I realise that when I watch it. But one of the all-time greats? I just don't get what's so wonderful about it. It does absolutely nothing for me at all (a bit like Casablanca). We watched it as part of a course at university, and my fellow students were raving about how wonderful it was, and I had barely managed to stay awake!

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:32 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
jak wrote:A little diversity today.

I confess that Best Years of Our Lives is a pet hate. Yes, I know it's a good film, and I realise that when I watch it. But one of the all-time greats? I just don't get what's so wonderful about it. It does absolutely nothing for me at all (a bit like Casablanca). We watched it as part of a course at university, and my fellow students were raving about how wonderful it was, and I had barely managed to stay awake!

I enjoyed the film.Im guessing the film had some impact upon it's release due to it's somber tone about the war.It wasnt youre typical feel good movie about the boys coming home from the war.However, im with you about it not being one of the all time greats.Im kinda on the fence when it comes to Dana Andrews also.Fredric March is a favorite of mine though.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Wasn't 'The Best Years of Our Lives' (apparently) the movie Elvis went to see on July 8 when Dewey premiered his first record on the radio?

Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:52 pm

greystoke wrote:I wasn't greatly impressed by Only God Forgives, although it's well directed and finds Kristen Scott Thomas on sensational form. But this is a mood piece that will either leave you enthralled, bored or maybe even baffled. Still, there's much to appreciate. For example, the way colour is used to signify changing moods, a technique also used in Hero and Far from Heaven. Whilst the tone of this film is stately and funeral to a fault, making it quite impenetrable at times. The blank expressions, staring into space and deliberate movements worked better in Drive because of a simple narrative. Here, the film wallows in a sort of purgatory, the underlying themes requiring more of the viewer than what's actually shown. And that can work to good effect. But here, there's a tug of war between flourishes of style and the need for a true narrative line. The former wins, and whether that's good or bad is probably going to be down to the viewer.

Nothing more to add. Absolutely agree with your well-crafted words.
I thought Kristen was misplaced, although she gave a good performance.
This movie could easily be edited down to a running time of twenty-five minutes. :wink:

Started watching "Hot Fuzz" again. To me it's much more enjoyable than "Shawn Of The Dead".

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 pm

greystoke wrote:I saw The Hunger Games: Catching Fire at the cinema today. The second in what's set to be four films based on the popular series of novels. Taking off from where the first film ended, Catching Fire retains the tone of its predecessor, but delves deeper into the psyche of its hero, Katniss Everdeen, who is played by Jennifer Lawrence. Now a hero and a figurehead for the oppressed, Everdeen doesn't wallow in the glory of her victory during the previous Hunger Games, but is traumatised by the events.

Directed by Francis Lawrence, who has graduated from being a top director of music videos, to big budget action films, such as Constantine and I am Legend, the scope of this film and a bold narrative make for a genuine treat. If you haven't seen the first film, the premise is much like a conglomerate of Roller Ball, The Running Man and Battle Royale. It many ways it's familiar, but this is so well-written and established, without condescending to younger audiences, or feeling the need to appease more mature film-goers through exploitation. Primarily, The Hunger Games works on the strength of Jennifer Lawrence's performance. She's an outstanding actress, who commands the screen without chewing scenery and does so with a genuine combination of tough and tender.

Catching Fire isn't without its flaws. Some characters are a bit one dimensional, whilst others, such as Liam Hemsworth's Gale Hawthorne, don't seem to have much purpose. Although, I suspect that will change as the series progresses. Additionally, some viewers may find the character's names and a garish sense of style rather quizzical. But there's a great deal of heart and sincerity within these films. More so than your average action blockbuster, and although this will be a shorter series, the November/December film schedule hasn't looked this promising since the days of Harry Potter.

Went to see The Hunger Games: Catching Fire with my teenage daughter last night.i will not get those 2 and a half hours back ! did not enjoy the movie, it was to slow dragged on for to long,the story could have moved along faster to get to the same point.that said my daughter loved it so maybe its just me.Jennifer Lawrence was amazing though ! going to be a top top star !!!

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh, well I guess we can't like them all, rocknroller. Cineworld has the new print of Gone With the Wind for a screening this coming Sunday, I think. The GFT is showing it on the same day. I've seen Gone With the Wind once before on the big screen, and would recommend catching it if you can.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:10 am

greystoke wrote:Oh, well I guess we can't like them all, rocknroller. Cineworld has the new print of Gone With the Wind for a screening this coming Sunday, I think. The GFT is showing it on the same day. I've seen Gone With the Wind once before on the big screen, and would recommend catching it if you can.

Never seen it Gone With the Wind on the big screen so i might go for it at Cineworld !!! looking forward to a wonderful life on the big screen one of my all time favs !!!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 am

Tonight's showing.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:03 am

If I liked the first Hunger Games would I enjoy the second?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:48 pm

jak wrote:Tonight's showing.

:smt007

Is "Repulsion" on Blu-ray out yet?

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:15 pm

brian wrote:If I liked the first Hunger Games would I enjoy the second?

I think so, Brian. It the better film of the two, in my opinion. And does what a good sequel should -- stays true to the original and expands upon it.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:17 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:

Yes, it's been released by Criterion in the US and another label in France. I don't have either, though.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:06 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:

I have the Criterion release on blu ray. As usual the Criterion is outstanding. A great package to own if you admire the film.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:37 pm

Has anyone seen Thor: The Dark World?

I really liked the first Thor movie and was wondering if the sequel was any good.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:49 pm

brian wrote:Has anyone seen Thor: The Dark World?

I really liked the first Thor movie and was wondering if the sequel was any good.

I enjoyed it very much, Brian. Here's what I said about it earlier on this thread.

greystoke wrote:I saw Thor: The Dark World at the cinema today. The latest film from Marvel studios and a step closer to the forthcoming Avengers: Age of Ultron. Picking up after the events in the first Avengers film, but allowing itself a prologue in which the threat of Malekith and a race of dark elves is detailed, Thor: The Dark World is - as the title suggests - a darker affair than the first film and more bleak than any Marvel film in recent memory, save for The Wolverine. Much of this film is set in Asgard, with a rain-soaked London making a soggy alternative to New York, as Thor's love interest, Jane Foster, and Stellan Skarsgard's Dr. Erik Selvig, have convened there for further research into astrophysics. Chris Hemsworth is more than perfect in his third outing as the God of Thunder, although, the ever-excellent, Tom Hiddleston steals every scene he appears in as Thor's brother, Loki. And here lies a key dynamic of the film, Thor and Loki's complex relationship intertwined with the impending, and ultimate, threat of Christopher Eccleston's Malekith. A villain who, at times, seems to have more bark than bite, despite what's at his disposal. But there's danger abound within a busy, unrelenting narrative that affords some welcome levity and in-jokes despite the severe tone. Those staying behind for the obligatory end credits scene should wait until the last credits roll for a second scene.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:15 pm

I appreciate the review.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:32 am

I had an absolute ball with a pre-code "classic" from 1934 this week called "Search for Beauty". It is completely daft and idiotic, but really quite fun. Basically a couple leave jail, and have the idea of taking over a health magazine in order to use it as a disguise for selling racy pictures and making a fast buck. They employ two naive olympic swimmers (Buster Crabbe and Ida Lupino) to acts editors and endorse the magazine, and then start pulling the wool over their eyes. Sales rocket as pictures of nearly naked women and salacious stories enter the magazine and then Crabbe and Lupino decide to take matters into their own hands, and take on their bosses.

A film had been made ten years earlier in Germany called Wege Zu Kraft Und Schonheit (Ways to Strength and Beauty), which was a documentary cashing in on the fitness/back to nature craze of the time. The film in reality was filled with naked women and nearly naked men doing exercises in slow motion. Search for Beauty isn't much different. We are told at the beginning that the specimens we see in front of us in the fitness scenes were searched for across the globe especially for the film. While the film has a moral to its story, its rather ironic that a film criticising the passing off of racy images as a health magazine is basically a film telling a moral story in order to provide audiences with racy images!

The film comes complete with (male) nudity, fifty men spending much of their screen time in embarassing tight shorts and nothing else and fifty women in various revealing swimsuits. But, best of all amongst this madness (which couldn't have been made 6 months later) comes a musical routine (see below) that is equal measure Busby Berkely and Cecil B DeMille! This is certainly a film well worth a watch, not because it's particularly good, but because it's a wonderful time capsule of Hollywood just before Will Hays enforced his book of rules.

phpBB [video]

Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:35 am

Just watched this euro sleaze classic from the well known director Jess Franco. His films are an acquired taste I would say. This was a 3 disc set. I opted for the rare "hard banana" uncut version.

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Bill and Teds bogus journey 3/6

Stupid yet charming nonsence , prolly the inspiration for "monsieurs" Beavis/Butt-head.

Bogus is a funny word , lulz

Roger Rabbit 4.5/6

Die Fälscher 5/6 , about a man who the nazis forced to make forged currency during WW2.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am

I saw Abdellatif Kechiche's controversial Palme D'Or winner, Blue is the Warmest Colour, at the cinema today. The story of a young schoolgirl who sees and falls in love with an older girl, whom she seeks, finds and starts a passionate relationship with. Starring Adele Exarchopoulos and Lea Seydoux, this outstanding drama runs the emotional gamut and features terrific performances from both female leads, Exarchopoulos in particular, who is truly mesmeric. The essence of Blue is the Warmest Colour concerns themes of self-discovery, but this is a rich text, and one that also portrays the results of discrimination, bullying and peer pressure -- whilst understanding that divisions are present in life. At 2 hours and 59 minutes, this is also a lengthy film, and one that moves at a stately pace. Scenes play out far beyond what may be considered a normal, or cinematic, resolution. Instead, seeking to delve deeper in the psyche of the characters, especially Exarchopoulos' Adele. The sex scenes are also lengthy, unflinching and absorbing in their intimacy. This may be voyeurism writ large, but the graphic nature of the girls' physical love is key to understanding their desires, motivations and a want to be part of something real. Adele's relationship with food shouldn't go unnoticed, either. Her voracious appetite for nutritional nourishment matches her sexual appetite, but draws a correlation in her initial lack of grace, to a change in tastes and feeling a sense of belonging through food and through sex. This is a remarkable film, one of 2013's finest, and I don't say that lightly. It's daring, provocative, but has an emotional undercurrent that's pure electric.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:08 am

Blue is the Warmest Color will be released by Criterion on Feb 11. I pre ordered my copy for $19.99. Not a bad price for a Criterion blu ray.