last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Re: last movie you watched

Postby Delboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:09 pm

Very much looking forward to 'Lincoln' Rob. The reviews have said it's something special and Daniel Day Lewis is amazing in it. Interestingly, when it opened at very limited theatres in the US the same weekend that 'Skyfall' opened country wide, it had almost 3 times the number of ticket sales per screening.
Delboy

Postby Delboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 pm

Second movie at the DTFF was 'Goodbye Morocco'. This Algerian/French movie is the fourth by young director Nadir Mokneche. I wasn't expecting much but the film works largely due to the fine performances. It centres around a couple who dream of escaping Morocco to start a new life with her son who she has lost custody of. They are managing the building of a complex in Morocco using an illegal immigrant workforce when they uncover some ancient Christian ruins. Seeing this as an opportunity to get out they attempt to cash in. The plan goes awry when a worker is accidentally killed on the site. The woman is too far gone and loses all sense of morality in a bid to hold on to the opportunity. The story unfolds in a disjointed form ala 'Pulp Fiction'. It is let down by trying to cram too much into the final 15 minutes as the story has more twists than Chubby Checker. :D It would be easy to say the story is implausible but it states somewhere on the web that it is based on a true story. We shall see. I should have stuck around for the Q&A. World premiere this one and unbeknownst to me at the time my ticket was collected by the Producer as she, the Director and leads greeted the guests. Nice touch :D
Delboy

Postby Delboy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Went to see 'White Tiger' at the DTFF. This is a Russian war movie that is the Russian entry for the Academy Awards best foreign language movie award next year. The movie is based on the novel and is set towards the end of the second world war. The White Tiger of the title refers to a mythic, seemingly indestructible German tank that almost takes the life of the Russian tank operator who is the centre of the film. After the attack he becomes obsessed with destroying the tank that almost killed him. Despite suffering 90 deg burns and memory loss he develops an ability to read tank movements. These elements of the story are so implausible you stop taking the movie seriously. There is a flashback scene with Hitler explaining his motives that you can't take seriously because of what precedes it. However, the film's saving grace are the action scenes that are quite frankly spectacular with amazing visuals and sound. Totally worth the price of admission alone. Unfortunately they only take up a far too small portion of the film which is a pity. Would recommend it for the tank war scenes but no cigar at the Oscars methinks. :D
Delboy

Postby rocknroller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:25 am

Went to see Here Comes The Boom at the cinema today very funny !!!

phpBB [video]

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby rocknroller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Went to see Silver Linings Playbook at the cinema today fantastic movie great performances by all the cast !!!

phpBB [video]

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby rocknroller » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Went to see Seven Psychopaths in the cinema yesterday ! its violent,bloody and gory,crazy & funny as hell a must see !!!

http://youtu.be/OOsd5d8IVoA

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby rjm » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 am

Miracle On 34th Street. (In the theater, Lincoln.)

rjm
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Postby rocknroller » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 pm

rjm wrote:Miracle On 34th Street. (In the theater, Lincoln.)

rjm

8) would love to see this on the big screen !!!

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby rocknroller » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Went to see the hobbit in the cinema hated it ! :twisted: soooooo long and boring the 3d effects were great but that was about it !!!

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby Tang Lungs side kick » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:13 pm

40th anniversary this x-mas......watched the german version , funnily the gay guy is less whiny on their version :lol:
Tang Lungs side kick

Postby rocknroller » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Went to see Quartet at the cinema and enjoyed it very much.scotlands own billy connolly was the stand out for me.

http://youtu.be/wSEnh8Hi62E

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby poormadpeter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:23 am

I've just bought the Nightmare on Elm Street series on blu-ray and so am working my way through them. The first film has some really quite surprisingly bad acting in it, but stands the test of time remarkably well. I couldn't care less if I never see Halloween or Friday the 13th again, but I don't think I will ever feel that way about Nightmare on Elm Street, which has much more depth than either of those films. Craven's script is surprisingly literate and, intentionally or not, has much to say about American society (not unlike Stephen King books such as "It" which came out at roughly the same time). As it happens, I have to see Halloween again in a month or so as it's part of unit I'm teaching on, but you can't have everything.

Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2 is almost the opposite of the original film, with virtually no depth at all and a seemingly unthought-through series of scenes tied together to make a suitable running length. Most of that running time is actually made up of a nearly naked young man writhing in bed covered in sweat, and his girlfriend shouting "Jess" at every opportunity, a name which seems unintentionally humourous considering the film has been dubbed as the gayest horror film of all time. Even from my point of view that really doesn't make it any better. The best thing about making it through Part 2 is knowing that the truly wonderful Part 3 is next!
poormadpeter

Postby rocknroller » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:08 pm

poormadpeter wrote: Even from my point of view that really doesn't make it any better. The best thing about making it through Part 2 is knowing that the truly wonderful Part 3 is next!

i'm the opposite of you i loved the 2nd one hated the 3rd.the 2nd movie had some great scary moments for me like on the school bus scene.i also remember seeing it at the cinema as a teenager so maybe thats why i have fond memories of 1 & 2 !!!

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby Tang Lungs side kick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:22 am

I think Halloween films are the best.....1 , II & 4 are my favs.

I wish they would've made Krueger more like he was in parts 1 & 2.......Fridays I and II are also good.

Fist of Univorn 2/6 , Unicorn just wasn't star material.....Bruce Lee threatened lawsuit when he found out they'd filmed him candidly during choreography.

Psycho 5/6 , awesome

Out of Africa 4/6 , didn't see the ending but twas all right.

Plunder of the Sun 3/6 , some kinda 50s Indy Jones adventure albeit not nearly as exciting , meh.

Rare exports 4/6 , Finnish black comedy about Santa (who happens to be evil)

Icarus 3/6 , Dolph plays ex-KGB man and they threaten his family......typical Dolph fare but nice to kill time with.

Nell 4/6 , about a woman who's been isolated from the outside world , late Natasha Richardson as the shrink.

Daredevil 4/6 , passable but nothing more

Snakes on a Plane 4/6 , with a title like that you know it's not gonna be deadly serious ;)

Skyhawk 4/6 , classic GH fu

Challenge of Tiger 3/6

Bruce Le (the imitator) and a white guy fights baddies who possess sterility drug (cough Moonraker cough) , one of the evil scientist guys looks like Lennon and this movie came out '80 , spooky. Ninja Strikes Back is more fun though imo. I wish Bolo could've gotten bigger part , he's underused here :/

Bolo : "Im gonna need a bigger bo.....uh I mean a bigger part in the script !" :smt005

Invincible Eight 4/6 , classic GH sword movie......Han "Big Boss" Ying Chieh has killed the parents of the 8 heroes and natch they want his head.

Amsterdam Connection 4/6 , 2 rival gangs fight over the drug biz in Europe and 2 of them also fight over the same woman. It's a must see for Bolo-fans and fea old skool Ams (old yellow trams) and Paris as locations.
Tang Lungs side kick

Postby Tang Lungs side kick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:30 am

I'm planning on making a Deer Hunter display piece :

-de Niro sgd resume (set me back 300 but well worth it , I think it's from ' 71.....de Niro has not sgd thru mail since '82 and his sig is very sought after and heavily forged)
-Walken letter (these are not plenty either , mine's from ' 75)
-Savage sgd contract (from ' 71)
-Cazale sig (since he died so young it fetches around 800-1k)

Only missing Streep now of the main cast :mrgreen:
Tang Lungs side kick

Postby rocknroller » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:22 am

I went to see gangster squad the other day at the cinema,great movie true story set in the late 40s LA.

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby luckyjackson1 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:15 pm

Just watched "Frankenweenie" on wednesday, I think it was o.k.

Next will be tonight the "Maniac"-Remake from Alexandre Aja starring Elijah Wood.
When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me
luckyjackson1

Postby Delboy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Just returned from the cinema having seen Django Unchained. I have to say this is a fantastic return to form for Tarantino. The movie is a visual spectacular with Tarantino at his best. It wasn't at all what I was expecting but in a positive way. Jamie Fox and Leonardo DiCaprio are beyond superb. If you have a few hours to spare you could do a lot worse than see this movie.
Delboy

Postby rocknroller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:32 pm

Delboy wrote:Just returned from the cinema having seen Django Unchained. I have to say this is a fantastic return to form for Tarantino. The movie is a visual spectacular with Tarantino at his best. It wasn't at all what I was expecting but in a positive way. Jamie Fox and Leonardo DiCaprio are beyond superb. If you have a few hours to spare you could do a lot worse than see this movie.

Cheers for the review delboy hopefully i will get to see it some time this week.

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby rocknroller » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:01 pm

Went to see the wee man at the cinema yesterday,don't know how much of a uk release it will get as its about scottish gangsters.being set in glasgow its a bit close to home and about the bad side of glasgow ,but i did enjoy the movie for what it was.the film makers fimed some of the scenes in my cousins house and he met the stars of the movie so that was kinda cool.

http://youtu.be/KQ1l3mIEKT8

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 pm

This Means War

I love Reese.
Rob

Postby ColinB » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:05 pm

rocknroller wrote:Went to see the wee man at the cinema yesterday,don't know how much of a uk release it will get as its about scottish gangsters.being set in glasgow its a bit close to home and about the bad side of glasgow ,but i did enjoy the movie for what it was.the film makers fimed some of the scenes in my cousins house and he met the stars of the movie so that was kinda cool.

Apparently the Scottish Police aren't shown up in a very positive light.

That's why they refused permission for filming in Scotland [where it's set] & it was filmed in London instead.
Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire
ColinB

Postby rocknroller » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:06 pm

ColinB wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to see the wee man at the cinema yesterday,don't know how much of a uk release it will get as its about scottish gangsters.being set in glasgow its a bit close to home and about the bad side of glasgow ,but i did enjoy the movie for what it was.the film makers fimed some of the scenes in my cousins house and he met the stars of the movie so that was kinda cool.

Apparently the Scottish Police aren't shown up in a very positive light.

That's why they refused permission for filming in Scotland [where it's set] & it was filmed in London instead.

They were not shown positive light then again they never do in these type of movies ! the long shots were shot in glasgow but everything else was in london,not a big deal if you live outside of glasgow,but if you come from glasgow then its strange because it looks nothin like blackhill in glasgow because it was mostly teniment building.the ponderosa house used in the film was my cousins house he lives in london although the real ponderosa still stands in glasgow.

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby Tang Lungs side kick » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:00 am

PotC I and II.....tedious and not that exciting , 4/6

Magnificent Trio , 4/6.....good sword movie.

*5th anniversary Heath Ledger*
Tang Lungs side kick

Postby Tang Lungs side kick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:52 am

Bruce Le's Deadly Fingers 4/6

Nora Miao guest stars and Lo Lieh as the baddie.
Tang Lungs side kick

PreviousNext

Return to Chat-Talk