last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

Re: last movie you watched

Postby rjm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:17 pm

Rented two I never saw before in the last couple weeks:

"Falling Down" -- Michael Douglas.

"Food, Inc." -- A great documentary, based on a fine book about how we get our food.

Liked 'em both! :D

This clip takes in both of 'em, in a way. :wink:

phpBB [video]

Digital movie rentals are cool!

rjm
rjm

Postby greystoke » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Jove wrote:Greystoke, I always look forward to reading your reviews. I don't have the time to watch movies in the theatre, so I just buy dvds when available and watch them in the comfort of my bedroom :lol: . And your reviews serve as a guide (although I dont always agree with them.) I would also pick Fist of Fury as the best Lee film, Enter the Dragon is too "Hollywood" for me.
Just watched A Dangerous Method, talky all the way but I enjoyed it. Great performance from the three leading actors.

Thanks, Jove. I've always enjoyed talking about movies with you.

Hapkido is a superb film, Tang Lung's side kick -- the plotting is familiar, but Angelo Mao and Sammo are terrific.

I'm on my way to see Arsenic and Old Lace at the cinema. A wonderful movie -- vintage Frank Capra and Cary Grant on ace form.
greystoke

Postby Jove » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 pm

Greystoke, have you seen Tsui Harks' whodunit "Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame?"
Great story telling and amazing cinematography!!

Scratch me now a little lower
Jove

Postby Delboy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:07 pm

greystoke wrote:
Delboy wrote:greystoke

I'm surprised to see 'Fist of Fury' make your top ten. It's a fine film of it's genre but if I had to pick one Bruce Lee movie it would have to be 'Enter the Dragon'.

I could easily have picked either, to be honest. Or both . . . Enter the Dragon is brilliant, but Fist of Fury may be the pinnacle of the genre, in my opinion. And where Enter the Dragon leans towards your typical espionage caper, Fist of Fury has an emotional resonance, great plotting and that killer ending. Not to mention stunning fight scenes. The Big Boss is terrific, too. As is Way of the Dragon -- and I could have chosen them, too.

Agreed. I found Way of the Dragon the weakest of the four plot wise but it is hard to criticise with that phenomenal scene with Chuck Norris at the Colliseum.
The above post is an original and natural product. Its content and any slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.
Delboy

Postby Jove » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Delboy wrote:I found Way of the Dragon the weakest of the four plot wise but it is hard to criticise with that phenomenal scene with Chuck Norris at the Colliseum.

Yes! I agree. The ending fight scene is a classic!!

Scratch me now a little lower
Jove

Postby greystoke » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm very fond of Way of the Dragon in most respects -- plot-wise, it's no great shakes, being, essentially, an eastern European-set western. But Lee, as writer, co-producer, director and star deserves heaps of credit for all of the aforementioned, not merely the great fight scenes -- which he also choreographed. Much of the humour is very localised, but the narrative repeatedly hints at, and leads towards, what's inevitable, and the payoff is tremendous -- the Lee/Norris showdown is one of cinema's all-time best fight scenes. But his encounters with Paul Wei and his henchmen offers much amusement and action, Wei, typically sleazy and more than a touch camp. His cohorts, a mismatch of types that Lee dispatches of in stunning fashion -- the double nunchaku scene is particularly memorable. I also like the score and the film's title sequence, which is very inventive.

I like Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame very much, Jove. It was great to have Tsui Hark back on such fine form -- he's ran hot-and-cold for years, now. Mostly cold. But this was very creative, brilliantly directed and well-scripted. The cinematography, as you've mentioned, is also a highlight. Andy Lau, however, was perfectly cast as the titular detective. It's one of his best performances in the past ten years, or so. Li Bing Bing is also good here, and Tony Leung Ka Fai is superb. He's still one of the most consistently good actors around.
greystoke

Postby rocknroller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:15 pm

Just back from 4 days in london ! time to catch up.greystoke awsome reviews as always.i love looper is now up there as one of my fav movies of the year.not seen the other 2 hopefully see them when i have my days off work (im back tomorrow) but the first movie im gonna see is taken 2 loved the first one.
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby greystoke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm

I saw Hope Springs today -- a film about how an older couple, played by Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, confront theirs marriage issues. Streep is no stranger to finding good roles at this stage of her career, and gives a gentle, endearing performance here. Jones matches her with a difficult character; one whose nature and habits are entirely contradictory to Steep's.

Steve Carell plays the marriage counsellor whom Streep and Jones' characters visit as Streep tries to save their marriage. He's splendid here -- no gags or clowning, just a sincere performance. Good, also, is David Frankel's direction, who does nothing showy, framing his actors well and allowing dialogue and their performances room to breathe. There are occasional missteps, especially the music, some of the songs feeling shoehorned in for effect. Whilst a few scenes stretch credibility, or seem misplaced, given what we learn of the characters. It's not a film for all tastes, especially those seeking a fully-fledged romantic comedy or something more quirky. I liked it very much.
greystoke

Postby poormadpeter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:46 am

I took a rare trip to the cinema tonight to see Sinister, from the makers of Insidious - which I really thought should be retitled "Insipid". Thankfully, Sinister is considerably better than that film, and is aided and abetted by a fine performance from a rather grizzled-looking Ethan Hawke (man, has he aged badly!). Hawke plays a writer of true-crime books, investigating the disappearance of a little girl. In his family's new house (where the lost girl lived), he finds a box of home movies up in the loft and, after he watches them, strange things start to happen. There are moments within he film where credibility is stretched - considering how much Hawke bangs and clatters his way around the house in the middle of the night as he searches for the reason for strange noises etc, one must wonder if all of his family are deaf or sleep with ear-plugs in. However, the film is genuinely creepy, and manages to be so without resorting to the blood and gore that is common in so many horror films these days. There are some fun "shock" moments, which resulted in a scream or two in the cinema. But, most importantly, it provides a reasonably good final quarter of an hour without resorting to the weird "whoa, this is getting silly now" of Insidious. There are still loose ends and plot-holes, but it doesn't really matter. It's a fine film and a horror film that basically does what it says on the tin.
poormadpeter

Postby rocknroller » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:58 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I took a rare trip to the cinema tonight to see Sinister, from the makers of Insidious - which I really thought should be retitled "Insipid". Thankfully, Sinister is considerably better than that film, and is aided and abetted by a fine performance from a rather grizzled-looking Ethan Hawke (man, has he aged badly!). Hawke plays a writer of true-crime books, investigating the disappearance of a little girl. In his family's new house (where the lost girl lived), he finds a box of home movies up in the loft and, after he watches them, strange things start to happen. There are moments within he film where credibility is stretched - considering how much Hawke bangs and clatters his way around the house in the middle of the night as he searches for the reason for strange noises etc, one must wonder if all of his family are deaf or sleep with ear-plugs in. However, the film is genuinely creepy, and manages to be so without resorting to the blood and gore that is common in so many horror films these days. There are some fun "shock" moments, which resulted in a scream or two in the cinema. But, most importantly, it provides a reasonably good final quarter of an hour without resorting to the weird "whoa, this is getting silly now" of Insidious. There are still loose ends and plot-holes, but it doesn't really matter. It's a fine film and a horror film that basically does what it says on the tin.

Cheers for the review ! not seen the movie yet,my daughter went to see it last night and said it was very good so hopefully i will get to see it in the coming week.
If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby poormadpeter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:30 am

I was caught off-guard tonight by the remarkably charming and entertaining Neverland, a two-part prequel to Peter Pan that is showing on Sky Movies. I recorded it after catching a couple of minutes a few days ago when channel hopping, and sat down tonight to watch the first episode, but landed up watching both. The story stars in London in 1905 with Peter Pan and the future lost boys characterised as something akin to Oliver Twist's crown, with the character of Jimmy acting as their Fagin. The following three hours tell the story of how they landed up in neverland, how captain hook came to be etc. It's all extremely well done (save for some dodgy blue-screen and CGI moments - but you expect that on made-for-TV budgets) and there is careful attention paid to tie into the original Peter Pan text as well.

Young Charlie Rowe makes for probably the best Peter Pan on film, and he is aided and abetted by an all-star cast including Anna Friel, Rhys Ifans, Charles Dance, Keira Knightley and Bob Hoskins reprising his Smee from Spielberg's Hook. Great fun (although probably a few too many dark moments for the real little ones in the family) and nicely made.
poormadpeter

Postby jak » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:04 pm

Watched the blu ray of The Bride of Frankenstein last night.I cant recommend the Universal Monster set enough to eveyone.The set is fantastic.Dracula is on tap for tonight.Between this box and the Bond set it's hard to figure out what to watch.Promethius arrived yestererday also.
jak

Postby rocknroller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm

jak wrote:Watched the blu ray of The Bride of Frankenstein last night.I cant recommend the Universal Monster set enough to eveyone.The set is fantastic.Dracula is on tap for tonight.Between this box and the Bond set it's hard to figure out what to watch.Promethius arrived yestererday also.

8) 8) 8)

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby poormadpeter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:45 pm

jak wrote:Watched the blu ray of The Bride of Frankenstein last night.I cant recommend the Universal Monster set enough to eveyone.The set is fantastic.Dracula is on tap for tonight.Between this box and the Bond set it's hard to figure out what to watch.Promethius arrived yestererday also.

The problem with the Blu-Ray set, and what will put a lot of people off it, is that it has less films than the Legacy Collection outings on DVD. We all know that once we buy the set, there will be another one come out with all the Universal Dracula films, all the Frankenstein films etc!
poormadpeter

Postby jak » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:57 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

The problem with the Blu-Ray set, and what will put a lot of people off it, is that it has less films than the Legacy Collection outings on DVD. We all know that once we buy the set, there will be another one come out with all the Universal Dracula films, all the Frankenstein films etc!

I doupled dipped on the blu rays.I already had the Legacy editions.These transfers just look so good though.The restoration is just terriffic.I wouldnt hold back buying if youre a big fan of these films.I even bought the UK coffin set just to have the packaging.
jak

Postby poormadpeter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:21 pm

jak wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

I doupled dipped on the blu rays.I already had the Legacy editions.These transfers just look so good though.The restoration is just terriffic.I wouldnt hold back buying if youre a big fan of these films.I even bought the UK coffin set just to have the packaging.

I am a fan of them, a huge fan. But, this happened when they appeared on DVD as well. What i have seen of the restorations looks gorgeous, but I refuse to be made to buy things twice anymore. I'll wait!
poormadpeter

Postby rocknroller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
jak wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

I am a fan of them, a huge fan. But, this happened when they appeared on DVD as well. What i have seen of the restorations looks gorgeous, but I refuse to be made to buy things twice anymore. I'll wait!

+ 1

rocknroller

Topic author

Postby greystoke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 pm

I couldn't agree more about how tremendous the new Universal Monsters Blu-ray collection is -- I also bought the limited edition coffin, which is quite novel. The picture quality of every film is truly exceptional. Universal have done a magnificent job. The accompanying booklet is also lovely -- a real treat, in fact. Although, I would have preferred this to be in hardback form. The art cards are also nice.

I very much hope that other films in Universal's monster rally come to Blu-ray -- Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein has been released on the format, and is splendid in its own right. But this new collection is one of the best box-sets of 2012 thus far, even if new bonus features are scant.
greystoke

Postby jak » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:39 pm

greystoke wrote:I couldn't agree more about how tremendous the new Universal Monsters Blu-ray collection is -- I also bought the limited edition coffin, which is quite novel. The picture quality of every film is truly exceptional. Universal have done a magnificent job. The accompanying booklet is also lovely -- a real treat, in fact. Although, I would have preferred this to be in hardback form. The art cards are also nice.

I very much hope that other films in Universal's monster rally come to Blu-ray -- Abbott and Costello Meets Frankenstein has been released on the format, and is splendid in its own right. But this new collection is one of the best box-sets of 2012 thus far, even if new bonus features are scant.

It's amazing to see how wonderfull these films look after the restoration.Youre exactly right about the book.I wish it was hardback also.That would have been the icing on the cake.Later this month a theatre near me is showing a double feature of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein.I cant wait to see them on the big screen.
jak

Postby Tang Lungs side kick » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:18 pm

The Avengers 5/6 , tbh I didn't follow the plot that well , something about a doomsday device......just out of this world sfx :D 8)

Dark Shadows 4.5/6 , Depp plays a vampire visiting a family in '72......Chris Lee also has a cameo (remember Dracula AD '72 :lol:

Narnia 4.5/6 , dunno which one but the cranky kid turns into a dragon , anyway it's pretty good.

Little Fockers 4/6 , passable.
Tang Lungs side kick

Postby poormadpeter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:57 am

I don't fall in love with films very often these days, but caught The Art of Getting By (2011) tonight and thought it was a wonderful film. Freddie Highmore plays an awkward, vulnerable teenager who is intelligent and talented but his mind is everywhere but on his work who falls silently in love with a girl who befriends him. It's a simple film, but brilliantly written and with wonderful performances from the mostly young cast, and manages to be a teen film that manages to painfully depict teen life for many - awkward and difficult - while being remarkable rewarding for adult audiences as well. Nice to see a teenager played by a teenager instead of a 30 year old as well! It's such a shame that year after year the best films seem to be the ones that completely slip under the radar.
poormadpeter

Postby greystoke » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 pm

I saw Hysteria and Beasts of the Southern Wild at the cinema today -- the former, a Victorian-era comedy about the invention of the vibrator; and the latter, a parable surrounding a young girl's feral existence in a Louisiana bayou that's ravaged by a storm.

Hysteria could have gone in any number of directions, but stays witty, if broad, as opposed to offering a Carry On-type romp or something blatantly sexual. Based on true events, this well-cast film comes to the screen via some less than prolific people with regards to the writing, producing of the film and direction. It's accomplished, however, albeit thin in places, with a dual narrative that occasionally falls flat. Here, Hugh Dancy and Jonathan Pryce are doctors who specialise in relieving women of hysteria via masturbation, but this becomes problematic when Dancy's wrist can't take the workload. Enter Rupert Everett, on zany form, as he invents the vibrator on the incentive of Dancy. The other part of the story concerns Maggie Gyllenhaal's proto-suffragette, who doesn't buy into the notion of hysteria, despite playing the daughter of its leading proponent. Her concern is equality, education and better living-standards for women and children. At times, she's quite full-on in her role, but well-cast, all the same. As are Pryce, Dancy and Everett, who is a gem here. At times, the lean towards feminist mores comes with a heavy hand, but there's plenty of laughs, despite the fluttering narrative and a joke that's a bit overstretched.

Beasts of the Southern Wild was written and directed by newcomer Benh Zeitlin, who has only two or three credits to his name in either capacity. But he's a veteran next to the two leading actors, young Quvenzhane Wallis and Dwight Henry, who make their acting debuts here. And it's a startlingly good film, masterfully created, with an astonishing performance by Wallis, who is my first Oscar pick of the year thus far. Henry should find similar plaudits as Wallis' father, who, on the surface, seems to be little more than a bad tempered drunk of a man. The world around them is seen through Wallis' eyes, her imagination often tapped into, but here, in a world of poverty, squalor and no aspirations, its a sense of community met with survival that's imparted on this determined young girl. This is challenging, original and daring cinema that plays against expectations and the kind of world view that would play entirely different from an alternate perspective. One of 2012's best films.
greystoke

Postby poormadpeter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:56 am

I'm slowly wading through Sky Movies repertoire at the moment, and have made some nice finds that have made subscribing worthwhile.

Last night's viewing was a delightful little film about depression and mental illness called "It's Kind of A Funny Story". And it is really quite amusing, and certainly not as maudlin as it could be. As someone with depression, to see antake an honest take on it in a film without all the cliches is really a sign that we are moving forward with regards to breaking down the prejudices. That the teenaged protagonist, brilliantly played by Keir Gilchrist, is depressed but seems to be unable to realise why or how he feels that way is, again, a big step forward. The fact that the easy route of "I'm depressed because of X" was avoided gives the film somewhat more depth and, ultimately, more realism. Really quite funny in parts, and even complete with a fantasy music video in the middle(!), this is really worth a watch and recommended.

Puncture, tonight's watch, is a somewhat more dour affair about a cocaine-addicted lawyer taking on the medical system in America. Based on a true story, this is really quite a dark movie which has none of the light and shade of "It's Kind of A Funny Story". Chris Evans is the somewhat unlikely actor in the lead role, and while he is normally perfectly amiable, here he seems out of his depth and, frankly, miscast - it's almost like watching Evans doing his best Ryan Gosling impression and it not being all that good. Much of the problem is the plot itself which seems just about to get going when the film ends - but I guess you can't change the ending of a true story very easily when making a film. It passes the time OK but really isn't going to blow anyone away, despite its obvious good intentions.
poormadpeter

Postby rjm » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:28 am

"A Face In The Crowd." Again. On right now, on DVD. Watching with fountain pen and notepad in hand!

rjm
rjm

Postby keninlincs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:52 am

Cockneys vs Zombies,a silly brit horror flick with Honor Blackman ,Richard Briers ,Tony Selby and Michelle Ryan
Quite enjoyed it rated 18 trailer
phpBB [video]

-
keninlincs

PreviousNext

Return to Chat-Talk