Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:38 am

Original sin featuring Antonio Banderas & Angelina Jolie. A very boring movie.

Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Scent of a Woman

Al Pacino won an Oscar for Best Actor for his outstanding performance as Lt. Col. Frank Slade.

"If I were the man I was five years ago, I'd take a FLAMETHROWER to this place!"

Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Cop Land

Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Went to see brave at the cinema, loved it ! of course im a little biased as its about scotland i was always going to like it !!!

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:05 am

Ozzy Osbourne docu (made by his son)

Joe Spinell story docu

Jaws (in cinema London , too bad only 3 people though........wonderful experience , would've loved to see the reactions of Jaws noobs)

Good stuff.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 am

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:Ozzy Osbourne docu (made by his son)

Joe Spinell story docu

Jaws (in cinema London , too bad only 3 people though........wonderful experience , would've loved to see the reactions of Jaws noobs)

Good stuff.

Loved the ozzy one !!!

Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:31 pm

Went to see the new Expendables 2 movie,was a very funny movie,Chuck Norris was good ,his beard looked like it was made of fuzzy felt

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:43 pm

I agree completely, Ken. The Expendables 2 was great fun, hugely nostalgic with action aplenty and great in-jokes that fans of this kind of film will lap up. It improves upon the first quite considerably, although isn't without its flaws -- but the entire cast are great, especially Van Damme, who steals the picture. But Norris's cameo is really ace -- using his character name from Good Guys Wear Black, along with some Chuck Norris philosophy into the bargain. Great rapport between Arnold, Sly and Bruce Willis, too.

I've seen it twice now, hope it's a success at the box office and would love a third instalment.

Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:00 pm

greystoke wrote:I agree completely, Ken. The Expendables 2 was great fun, hugely nostalgic with action aplenty and great in-jokes that fans of this kind of film will lap up. It improves upon the first quite considerably, although isn't without its flaws -- but the entire cast are great, especially Van Damme, who steals the picture. But Norris's cameo is really ace -- using his character name from Good Guys Wear Black, along with some Chuck Norris philosophy into the bargain. Great rapport between Arnold, Sly and Bruce Willis, too.

I've seen it twice now, hope it's a success at the box office and would love a third instalment.

Yes it is a lot easier on the eye than the first,i have always been a big Stallone fan and this ticked all the boxes,i will be seeing it again

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:29 am

Has anyone seen the Total Recall remake?

Was it any good.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:40 am

I want to see the new Eastwood film, Trouble With The Curve. Haven't been to a theater since . . . the Aurora situation. Must go, and this looks good. Anyone know if it's really good?

rjm

Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 am

rjm wrote:I want to see the new Eastwood film, Trouble With The Curve. Haven't been to a theater since . . . the Aurora situation. Must go, and this looks good. Anyone know if it's really good?

rjm

I'm looking forward to Trouble With the Curve, too, rjm -- it's not on release until late November, so no word on what it's like as yet. But it does look good.

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:45 am

greystoke wrote:
rjm wrote:I want to see the new Eastwood film, Trouble With The Curve. Haven't been to a theater since . . . the Aurora situation. Must go, and this looks good. Anyone know if it's really good?

rjm

I'm looking forward to Trouble With the Curve, too, rjm -- it's not on release until late November, so no word on what it's like as yet. But it does look good.

Thanks! (And by November, I will have gotten over it - the theater thing.)

rjm

Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Went to the cinema to see The Expendables 2 loved it ! also seen the watch (rubbish) total recall great movie a must see !!!

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:04 pm

rocknroller wrote:Went to the cinema to see The Expendables 2 loved it ! also seen the watch (rubbish) total recall great movie a must see !!!

I've seen The Expendables 2 three times now -- it's great entertainment and works so well on repeat viewings. I do think a director's cut should be on the cards. There's a few choppy moments that could be ironed out. I plan to see Total Recall tomorrow or Friday -- it looks good, but has a lot to live up to.

If you enjoyed The Expendables, you may get a huge kick out of Ted. It's very good. Crude, daft and well directed by its creator, Seth McFarlane. It meanders at times, but is a total riot.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Hate to lower the tone but Airplane. Hilarious.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:54 pm

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to the cinema to see The Expendables 2 loved it ! also seen the watch (rubbish) total recall great movie a must see !!!

I've seen The Expendables 2 three times now -- it's great entertainment and works so well on repeat viewings. I do think a director's cut should be on the cards. There's a few choppy moments that could be ironed out. I plan to see Total Recall tomorrow or Friday -- it looks good, but has a lot to live up to.

If you enjoyed The Expendables, you may get a huge kick out of Ted. It's very good. Crude, daft and well directed by its creator, Seth McFarlane. It meanders at times, but is a total riot.

Seen ted twice loved it sooooooooo funny.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Ted is a bit of a gem -- some great comedy and an awesome cameo, which I won't elaborate on for those who haven't seen it.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:07 pm

I saw Total Recall today, but wasn't greatly impressed or hugely entertained. Mostly, it's a competent, well-made and well-acted film, but the plotting is flat and lacking a more involving narrative. The original was bristling in every area -- here, it was all quite workmanlike. It's a great looking film, although shades of Blade Runner's oriental neo-noir are prevalent -- which I like. But it's not unique enough, especially in comparison to Blade Runner, Minority Report and the original, Total Recall. Colin Farrell was on good form, though -- but without better dialogue, his version of Quaid/Hauser is a bit of a damp squib. Kate Beckinsale is a tour de force, almost. Here, she is an amalgam of Michael Ironside and Sharon Stone's characters from the original film. She plays it to the hilt. But, overall, this was bit of a let-down for me.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:08 am

greystoke wrote:I saw Total Recall today, but wasn't greatly impressed or hugely entertained. Mostly, it's a competent, well-made and well-acted film, but the plotting is flat and lacking a more involving narrative. The original was bristling in every area -- here, it was all quite workmanlike. It's a great looking film, although shades of Blade Runner's oriental neo-noir are prevalent -- which I like. But it's not unique enough, especially in comparison to Blade Runner, Minority Report and the original, Total Recall. Colin Farrell was on good form, though -- but without better dialogue, his version of Quaid/Hauser is a bit of a damp squib. Kate Beckinsale is a tour de force, almost. Here, she is an amalgam of Michael Ironside and Sharon Stone's characters from the original film. She plays it to the hilt. But, overall, this was bit of a let-down for me.

I thought you might have not liked it as much as did greystoke i know you are a fan of the original film.im not as big a fan of the original so it pressed all the right buttons for me.roll on dredd 3D !!!

Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:50 am

greystoke wrote:I saw Total Recall today, but wasn't greatly impressed or hugely entertained. Mostly, it's a competent, well-made and well-acted film, but the plotting is flat and lacking a more involving narrative. The original was bristling in every area -- here, it was all quite workmanlike. It's a great looking film, although shades of Blade Runner's oriental neo-noir are prevalent -- which I like. But it's not unique enough, especially in comparison to Blade Runner, Minority Report and the original, Total Recall. Colin Farrell was on good form, though -- but without better dialogue, his version of Quaid/Hauser is a bit of a damp squib. Kate Beckinsale is a tour de force, almost. Here, she is an amalgam of Michael Ironside and Sharon Stone's characters from the original film. She plays it to the hilt. But, overall, this was bit of a let-down for me.

Thank you Greystoke.

I still want to check it out for myself.

Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:50 am

Just watched "The Good Doctor" starring Orlando Bloom and Riley Keough.

Average at best, I liked to watch Riley (although she didn't have that much screen time). Gotta find me a copy of "Jack And Diane" pretty soon.

Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-xiO8cskJM

40th anniversary Game of Death this fall.......what couldve been !

:evil:

Cast :

Hai Tien - Bruce Lee (RIP)
Friend : James Tien
Friend 2 : Chieh Yuan (RIP)
Friend 3 : Carter Wong
Enforcer , outside pagoda : Bolo Yeung
Gate to Enlightenment : Whong Ing Sik
Temple of Preying Mantis : Taky Kimura
Temple of Tiger : Dan Inosanto
Temple of Gold : Chi Hon Tsoi
Temple of Unknown : Kareem Jabbar
Caucasian aid/mentor : George Lazenby (killed in pagoda or would he return in another film ?)
Blacksmith : Lee Kun (RIP)

Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:32 am

Lawman

A 1971 Western film starring: Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Lee J. Cobb, and Robert Duvall.

Burt Lancaster is Jered Maddox, a dedicated marshal with an inflexible adherence to upholding the law at all costs. Riding into a nearby town to pick up a group of local carousers who, during a drunken spree, killed an old man.

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:40 pm

Tang Lungs side kick wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-xiO8cskJM

40th anniversary Game of Death this fall.......what couldve been !

:evil:

Cast :

Hai Tien - Bruce Lee (RIP) Friend : James Tien Friend 2 : Chieh Yuan (RIP) Friend 3 : Carter Wong Enforcer , outside pagoda : Bolo Yeung Gate to Enlightenment : Whong Ing Sik Temple of Preying Mantis : Taky Kimura Temple of Tiger : Dan Inosanto Temple of Gold : Chi Hon Tsoi Temple of Unknown : Kareem Jabbar Caucasian aid/mentor : George Lazenby (killed in pagoda or would he return in another film ?) Blacksmith : Lee Kun (RIP)

One of the great, unfinished films -- it could have been Lee's masterpiece, and stands as a portrait of brilliance in what was shot.

You've missed Nora Miao, who was probably going to play the sister of Hai Tien, Lee's character. Tien was also to have a younger brother, who hadn't been cast when Lee died.

I've always believed the notion of Carter Wong's inclusion to be little more than speculation, though. Still, nothing had been finalised with Lazenby, Lee Kun or Bolo. But we know they were approached and had been talking to Lee. Other characters, such as Yu Ming (who encounters Tien at the start of the film as he travels by plane from Hong Kong to Korea) and Hai Tien's student, who had survived a previous attack on the temple, but was now in a sanatorium, hadn't been cast, either. Nor was the gangster, known as "Uncle Wong," who compromises Tien (by holding his brother and sister hostage) into joining a new attack. It's all quite fascinating, but disheartening to think what could have been.